Looking for someone to help with family research

Find Bootle friends and family here
Thommos sister

Hi Lily, it's the only Edgar 1914c I can find and I've scoured everywhere using soundex etc. There are 2 girls born same yr and qtr in Hawarden maiden Jones, twins? maybe not related 1917.
T.S
bobcr

I remember relations called Jones some in Lpool ( one called ernest I think ) and some in wales when I was young and three relations that lived in wales called Jane, Sydna and Ivor all either unmarried or widows I think but dont know their surname.
Thanks for your great research its really appreciated !
Bob
Thommos sister

Hi again Bob, Sydna is a very unusual first name .Perhaps we can find something for her.
There's a Sydna born in Pwllheli 3rd qtr 1920 mother's maiden name Owen.

T.S
lily8

Teens, there is another Sydna Jones same place qtr qnd year, mother maiden Jones, not at all unlikely a Jones marrying a Jones in North Wales.

Need to place Jane and her sisters in 1911ish.
Lily
lily8

Perhaps this is the link an Elizabeth Jones 1875-1958 Married David Jones 1871-1938 and had the following children this Elizabeth was a sister to Jane

Sydna 1897-1975
William 1902-1980
Eliza Jane 1904-
Hugh David 1906-1990
Gordon 1913-1993

I got this from an Ancestry.com tree it is full of information and photographs.

Mary Jones

Age in 1911:

Estimated Birth Year:
abt 1898

Relation to Head:
Daughter

Birth Place:
Trevor, Carnarvon, Wales

Civil Parish:
Llanaelhaiarn

County/Island:
Caernarvonshire

Wales

Street Address:
2 Lime Street Trevor Chwilog SO
Household Members:

Name

David Samuel Jones 39
Elizabeth Jones 36
Sydna Mary Jones 13
William Griffith Jones 9
Elizabeth Jane Jones 7
Hugh David Jones 4
Lelina Jones 2
Anne Hughes 54
Robert Jones 40
Lily
bobcr

Hi
I remember being taken to Trevor in Wales when I was very young
Bob
CSStorey

Hi.
Just stumbled across this post and thought I'd just post a couple of comments.
My Great Grandfather was George Henry Usher. My Grandmother was his Daughter Selina born in 1913. Selina married my Grandad Ronald Dolphin in 1935.They had my Mother Margery Sheila Dolphin in 1938.
Margery married my father Andrew Storey of Bootle in 1957 who in turn had my brother Ian Micheal in 1958 and myself in 1963. We were both have 3 children and Ian 2 and me 1 grandchild.
I remember as a child going to visit Aunty Lottie (Charlotte) quite often.
This image is of Great Grandparents George and Selina. My Grandmother, Selina is the youngest with the dog. Auntie Lottie is on there but not sure which person she is as my mother has dementia and can no longer give me details.
I hope you managed to get more information.
Many thanks. Colin

The pickups 1959

Well jan, you may be the lady to help
My family bod and vera pickup left bootle in 1959. Dad had a motor cycle with s side car and we lived in 25 south park square. Dad mum and 4 boys left liverpool i 1959 and now all boys doi g well mum and dad both gone, but we have relatives we tslk too but most are our age.
Do you remember our family or does anyone?
I just meet tonight tom from bootle born in 1947 in coffs harbour nsw australia. He moved here in 1974 and new of our area in bootle. He may have schooled with my older brother graham pickup now 72. Be great to talk to others who may of new our family. If not great to talk to you.
jaguar

My name is Arthur Smee and my parents were from Guion road Bootle,i am looking for any of the Smee family ,my fathers family i believe that my grandfather had a ironmongers shop somewhere in Bootle in the 1930 40 as far as we know he had four children ,Garfield ,Horatio,Arthur ,and a daughter who's name we cannot find,but may be Sophie,any information would be gratefully received many thanks .
ALAMO2008

What year approx of Births?
What was Mother's Maiden Name?
BOBHAMO

Hi Arthur was your grandfather or great grand father
Charles William Smee
born devon 1875
i can trace the smee family in liverpool to 1962
but he was a painter decorator
have looked before cant find the Smee name linked to hardware store
2 Guion road C W Smee decoraters workshop
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
ALAMO2008

My Grandfather was born at 7 Guion Rd in 1891 the home of his Mother's Parents.

There are no Smee Family in Guion Road on the 1891 or 1901 Census Records

By 1911 my Granddad and his Parents had moved on.

Found several Smee children from the Christian names you provided on the GRO Birth Search Facility site, all sharing same Mother's Maiden Name = Boushear.

Then using the site Freebmd found early this morning a Marriage of a Smee and Boushear in June 1896
Had to pop into Town for Doctors appointment before I could post the info found.

Meanwhile, Bobhamo has found same Smee Great Grandfather that started your Tree in Liverpool

Marriage Registered Jun 1896 West Derby Volume 8b page 808 to a Selina Boushear.
An £11 Copy of their Marriage Certificate will provide where they lived, their ages, their Professions, their Father's Names and Professions and the Name of Church where Married which will give a Clue to their Religions and where subsequent Children Baptized.

They had Nine Children as follows :-

First Child = Uarth Ann May Smee
Registered June 1897 West Derby Volume 8b page 469 Mother's Maiden Name = Boushear

Can't say I have heard of that Christian Name Uarth by My Heritage site has and had 3,201 hits nearly all of Brazilian origin. It could also have been misheard by the Registrar and meant to be Yootha which means Joy in Australian Aboriginal language.
The Parents may not have been able to read or write and therefore unable to spell their intended name, so the Registrar would record the name as he thought he heard it.

Uarth Smee sadly died aged 6 in December 1903 West DerbyVol 8b page 259
You can get both Birth and Death Certificate for £11 each quoting those References to the GRO
Or obtain an Emailed PDF version of the middle section of information from each for just £7

Second Child = Charles William Henry Smee
Registered December 1898 West Derby Vol 8b page 525 Mother's Maiden Name = Boushear

Third Child = Sophia Elizabeth Smee
Registered September 1900 West Derby Vol 8b page 267 Mother's Maiden Name = Boushear
Sophia Smee sadly died aged 4 in March 1905 West Derby Vol 8b page 258
Death Certificates show where someone died and cause of Death and who Registered the Death as the Informant and Relationship whether they were present at the Death and whether there was an Inquest. In which case there will be an Inquest Report and probably a Report in the Liverpool Courier of the Inquest.

Fourth Child = Henrietta Smee
Registered June 1902 West Derby Vol 8b page 261 Mother's Maiden Name = Boushear

Fifth Child = Phyllis Bertha Smee
Registered June 1903 West Derby Vol 8b page 381 Mother's Maiden Name = Boushear

Sixth Child = Madeline Selina Smee
Registered September 1905 West Derby Vol 8b page 369 Mother's Maiden Name = Boushear

Seventh Child = Thomas Horatio Smee
Registered September 1907 West Derby Vol 8b page 364 Mother's Maiden Name = Boushear

Eighth Child = Arthur Boushear Smee
Registered March 1912 West Derby Vol 8b page 496 Mother's Maiden Name = Boushear

Ninth Child = Garfield Smee
Registered September 1916 West Derby Vol 8b page 609 Mother's Maiden Name = Boushear

Hope this helps.

More to follow.
ALAMO2008

Charles William Smee your Great Grandfather was named after his Elder Brother who was born first and died before him as follows :-

Charles William Smee Registered Sept 1872 Plymouth Volume 5b page 227 Mother's Maiden Name not Transcribed or possibly not legible by Typist in GRO for the Birth Index Pilot,
so not recorded/shown on line but the Mother's Maiden Name, may well be shown on the Original Birth Certificate Copy £7 for the PDF version

However, this baby, only survived a few weeks
and is Registered as Dying in the December Quarter 1872 in Plymouth Volume 5b page 196

A copy of the Death Certificate will confirm the Parents and Cause of Death and Address.

The second Charles William Smee your Great Grandfather was born June Quarter 1874
in Plymouth District Volume 5b page 303
Mother's Maiden Name shown as WARREN

The GRO site will find other Siblings Smee /Warren

The Freebmd will find their Marriage Index Reference these are not available in PDF so cost £11 for a Postal Paper Copy.

Charles William Smee died, as you probably know already, aged 64
in June 1939 Crosby District Volume 8b page 647

I would think His Wife Selina Boushear was born either in Scotland or Ireland or Abroad possibly Australia.

As there is no Record of her Birth in England or Wales
and the First Boushear born here was an Emma Boushear in 1870
probably her Sister after the Family arrived here from ?

A Census record for 1901 or 1911 will confirm where she was born.

The 1939 Register once we know where they lived in October 1939 will give her exact Date of Birth,
though I have found many discrepancies on this Register, so be careful and flexible.
Last edited by ALAMO2008 on Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BOBHAMO

Great research Alamo :D :D
Bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
ALAMO2008

Smee Marriages found which you may already be aware of.

Charles William Henry Smee marrying in June Quarter 1925 West Derby Volume 8b page 722
Spouse = Annie E Cooke

Phyllis Bertha Smee marrying in September Quarter 1927 West Derby Volume 8b page 945
Spouse = Charles G Forshaw

Madeline S Smee marrying in June Quarter 1931 West Derby Volume 8b page 675
Spouse = Arthur A Cooper

Henrietta Smee marrying in March Quarter 1933 West Derby Volume 8b page 579
Spouse = Henry Wood

Thomas Horatio Smee marrying in March 1942 Crosby District Volume 8b page 1311
Spouse = Clarice M Platt

Arthur B Smee marrying in June 1942 Liverpool South Volume 8b page 119

Spouse = Margaret J Drewett

Research is so much easier with less common Surnames.

Hope this Helps.
Last edited by ALAMO2008 on Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BOBHAMO

Selina Boushear was the daughter of William ,Ann ,carter 4 Clio st kirkdale
she married Charles 22 when she was 19 in 1896+
the Smees lived in Kilburn st 1900
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
ALAMO2008

For some reason Charles Smee completes this 1911 Census at 205 Linacre Road claiming his Son Thomas Horatio to be a Daughter ?
They did have a Servant.
It confirms pre Arthur and Garfield Births that Two of the Seven to 1911 died i.e. Uarth and Sophia

ALAMO2008

ALAMO2008 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:36 pm Charles William Smee your Great Grandfather was named after his Elder Brother who was born first and died before him as follows :-

Charles William Smee Registered Sept 1872 Plymouth Volume 5b page 227 Mother's Maiden Name not Transcribed or possibly not legible by Typist in GRO for the Birth Index Pilot,
so not recorded/shown on line but the Mother's Maiden Name, may well be shown on the Original Birth Certificate Copy £7 for the PDF version

However, this baby, only survived a few weeks
and is Registered as Dying in the December Quarter 1872 in Plymouth Volume 5b page 196

A copy of the Death Certificate will confirm the Parents and Cause of Death and Address.

The second Charles William Smee your Great Grandfather was born June Quarter 1874
in Plymouth District Volume 5b page 303
Mother's Maiden Name shown as WARREN

The GRO site will find other Siblings Smee /Warren

The Freebmd will find their Marriage Index Reference these are not available in PDF so cost £11 for a Postal Paper Copy.

Charles William Smee died, as you probably know already, aged 64
in June 1939 Crosby District Volume 8b page 647

I would think His Wife Selina Boushear was born either in Scotland or Ireland or Abroad possibly Australia.

As there is no Record of her Birth in England or Wales
and the First Boushear born here was an Emma Boushear in 1870
probably her Sister after the Family arrived here from ?

A Census record for 1901 or 1911 will confirm where she was born.

The 1939 Register once we know where they lived in October 1939 will give her exact Date of Birth,
though I have found many discrepancies on this Register, so be careful and flexible.

Have since found Birth of Selina under Bousher Jun 1877 West Derby page 462 Mother's Maiden Name shown as = Wilkerson

The 1939 Register for her as a Widow gives he Date of Birth as 3 March 1877

Her Husband Charles died 28 May 1939

She is living at 39 Sefton Rd with their Tenth Child Evelyn Jessie Smee Registered Dec 1919 West Derby Vol 8b page 550 Mother's Maiden Name shown as = Bausher
Jessie on 1939 Register shows Birth as 8 November 1919

Were the Family Catholic ?

Thomas Horatio Smee Died December 1977 Crosby Vol 37 page 309
His Date of Birth given as 26 July 1907
BOBHAMO

205 Linacre road was just past Kirk road
Charles Painter ,dec
there was a query about a hardware shop in the family
in 1938 205 was a chandlers shop
but Owned by David Rees not Smee
bobhamo
Last edited by BOBHAMO on Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bootle born altcar road
ALAMO2008

Anyone able to explain why my uploads via postimages are posting so poorly,
when the Original download from the National Archives are perfectly clear ?
sunshinecoast@BC

ALAMO2008 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:07 pm My Grandfather was born at 7 Guion Rd in 1891 the home of his Mother's Parents.

There are no Smee Family in Guion Road on the 1891 or 1901 Census Records

By 1911 my Granddad and his Parents had moved on.

Found several Smee children from the Christian names you provided on the GRO Birth Search Facility site, all sharing same Mother's Maiden Name = Boushear.

Then using the site Freebmd found early this morning a Marriage of a Smee and Boushear in June 1896
Had to pop into Town for Doctors appointment before I could post the info found.

Meanwhile, Bobhamo has found same Smee Great Grandfather that started your Tree in Liverpool

Marriage Registered Jun 1896 West Derby Volume 8b page 808 to a Selina Boushear.
An £11 Copy of their Marriage Certificate will provide where they lived, their ages, their Professions, their Father's Names and Professions and the Name of Church where Married which will give a Clue to their Religions and where subsequent Children Baptized.

They had Nine Children as follows :-

First Child = Uarth Ann May Smee
Registered June 1897 West Derby Volume 8b page 469 Mother's Maiden Name = Boushear

Can't say I have heard of that Christian Name Uarth by My Heritage site has and had 3,201 hits nearly all of Brazilian origin. It could also have been misheard by the Registrar and meant to be Yootha which means Joy in Australian Aboriginal language.
The Parents may not have been able to read or write and therefore unable to spell their intended name, so the Registrar would record the name as he thought he heard it.

Uarth Smee sadly died aged 6 in December 1903 West DerbyVol 8b page 259
You can get both Birth and Death Certificate for £11 each quoting those References to the GRO
Or obtain an Emailed PDF version of the middle section of information from each for just £7

Second Child = Charles William Henry Smee
Registered December 1898 West Derby Vol 8b page 525 Mother's Maiden Name = Boushear

Third Child = Sophia Elizabeth Smee
Registered September 1900 West Derby Vol 8b page 267 Mother's Maiden Name = Boushear
Sophia Smee sadly died aged 4 in March 1905 West Derby Vol 8b page 258
Death Certificates show where someone died and cause of Death and who Registered the Death as the Informant and Relationship whether they were present at the Death and whether there was an Inquest. In which case there will be an Inquest Report and probably a Report in the Liverpool Courier of the Inquest.

Fourth Child = Henrietta Smee
Registered June 1902 West Derby Vol 8b page 261 Mother's Maiden Name = Boushear

Fifth Child = Phyllis Bertha Smee
Registered June 1903 West Derby Vol 8b page 381 Mother's Maiden Name = Boushear

Sixth Child = Madeline Selina Smee
Registered September 1905 West Derby Vol 8b page 369 Mother's Maiden Name = Boushear

Seventh Child = Thomas Horatio Smee
Registered September 1907 West Derby Vol 8b page 364 Mother's Maiden Name = Boushear

Eighth Child = Arthur Boushear Smee
Registered March 1912 West Derby Vol 8b page 496 Mother's Maiden Name = Boushear

Ninth Child = Garfield Smee
Registered September 1916 West Derby Vol 8b page 609 Mother's Maiden Name = Boushear

Hope this helps.

More to follow.

sunshinecoast@BC

sunshinecoast@BC

sunshinecoast@BC

david hollis

The pickups 1959 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:56 pm Well jan, you may be the lady to help
My family bod and vera pickup left bootle in 1959. Dad had a motor cycle with s side car and we lived in 25 south park square. Dad mum and 4 boys left liverpool i 1959 and now all boys doi g well mum and dad both gone, but we have relatives we tslk too but most are our age.
Do you remember our family or does anyone?
I just meet tonight tom from bootle born in 1947 in coffs harbour nsw australia. He moved here in 1974 and new of our area in bootle. He may have schooled with my older brother graham pickup now 72. Be great to talk to others who may of new our family. If not great to talk to you.
I was at Bedford road primary Graham was in the same class as me,think he passed 11+ and went to Bootle Grammar,I went to Balliol sec mod,I remember the prefabs in south park,played there a lot,after they took the prefabs down the council covered the area with football pitches,we carried on playing until after it went dark,Philip Gill's dad was the groundsman at Bootle cricket club,I'm sure you'll have known them
KEW

Henrietta Smee (later Wood) 's father wore a chain around his neck in a photo she had in her house in Bromborough. I saw it when I was a child there ,- it could have been a freemason chain. Henrietta also played, and taught the piano