southey st

Find Bootle friends and family here
bboardman

hi ---can anyone recall families who lived in southey st in the 50s-60s and where they are now? .Here are some of my friends from that time,maureen gilbert[my first girl friend],tucker holland,richie lavelle,stanley and eric wright,the gleaves family -regards billy
matt wethered

Hi Billy,my wife Sheila was born in #2 Southey street above the shop on the corner in 1948 and lived in the street 'till 1955.Their family name is Worrall.She has one older brother George who lives in Nairn,Scotland,her sister Ann lives in Bromborough,then came Sheila and we live on the east coast of Vancouver Island,next is Joan who lives in St.Davids in S.Wales,then Carol who lives in Javea in Spain.When we next e-mail Sheila's brother we will give him the names of the people you know and see what he can come up with.
Matt
bboardman

hi matt---thanks for responding.Did sheila live above the chemist shop?Sheila is 6 years younger than me and ibelieve i knew her family---regards billy
matt wethered

Hi Billy,the shop Sheila's family lived over was on the other corner but she tells me her friend Joan Fairclough lived over the chemist shop and they also came from a large family.When we where in Bootle in May two wonderfull gentlemen took us all round Bootle to all the places we knew and Southey street has sure changed we then went on to the get together at the" Y" in Park street.Sadly one of those gentlemen is no longer with us but his partner in crime (Ron W)keeps his memory alive for all of us.
Matt
bboardman

hi matt---this is so good.You mentioned that sheilas brother lives in nairn,believe it or not matt in september i had to go to nairn to walk my neice down the aisle at her wedding.It was a flying visit as my business is at its busiest at that time of the year ,i stayed just 10 days ,then flew back home to nz.Nairn is a lovely village.I stayed in an apartment block overlooking a sportsground,the water and part of the town.Im sure i knew george and if i had known about this forum then i would certainly tried to meet up with him .Tell sheila we lived at 96 marsh lane ,almost opposite where she lived---regards billy
billyann

bboardman wrote:hi ---can anyone recall families who lived in southey st in the 50s-60s and where they are now? .Here are some of my friends from that time,maureen gilbert[my first girl friend],tucker holland,richie lavelle,stanley and eric wright,the gleaves family -regards billy
Hello billy, I'm Richie Lavelle,s younger brother billy I'm so sorry to tell you richie passed away about three yaers ago in 2005 of a heart attact he was 62, stan wright died in the 70's from memory and eric as also died, as far as I no, billy and richie holland are still going well not a clue were tucker is though, and i think the gleaves girls are still going,I don't no if you no my sisters rita and helen if you do they are doing alright i my self as lived in north wales for the last eight years,so sorry to be the bearer of bad news very sad but i hope it helps regards billy lavelle.
jwalker85@hotmail.com

Did anyone know a Vincent McLean or a Vincent McKee who lived on Southey Street. Before the War? The McKees lived at number 50 Souithey St and the McLeans at number31. thanks Joe
It takes all types to make the world go on its merry way!
By the way I feel sure God made it just like the way he likes it!
bboardman

Thanks billy for your posting---I'm so sorry to learn about Richie.He was a leader and a good mate of mine,a truly sad loss.Iknew about stan and eric--so young.BillyI knew you but you were just a child, you were named after my brother-in -law who married my sister Jean.I remember Rita [your sister] very well,maybe she remembers me.By the way did you know maureen gilbert?She lived in the prefabs on your side of southey[half way up]--my best wishes to you and your family--billy boardman
Bootlelass

Hi Billy
I lived in Southey Street number 9. We left there in 1965 to live in Anfield. We lived next door to the Lunts, The Faircloughs lived over the chemist and they left to live in Australia about 61/62. Eileen is still in touch. Next to the entry was old Mrs Carlin, she was a tiny woman who used to give you a penny and a blood orange for going for a message. Next to her was the Kelly's then the Lunts then us the Heffernans, we were next to the debris. On the other side of the debris were the Hollands, Mrs Gleaves, with Kathleen and Joan who became a nun. Mrs Flannerys then there were the prefabs. On the other side were the Wrights, Keoghs, don't know the next ones but it was a man and wife, they had a Golden Ridgeback dog who terrified the life out of us. Then there was the Cooneys, Mrs Wolfe and her mother Joan and Lloyd were the kids. Then there was Mary and Charlie Berry, Mrs Wilson The Slaters, Lavelles my mate Helen Rita Billy and Richie. I think the next ones were the Shaws. Not sure of many of the ones further down. Cracking place to grow up there with many a fine tale to be told of all the goings on. Hope this helps.
bboardman

Hello Bootlelass-Thanks so much for your response.Yep I remember most of the families you've mentioned-including your Mam.We used to light our bonfire in the debris between your house and the Hollands.It was sad to learn of Richie Lavelle.--he was outstanding.Stan and Eric passed on way too young.The Gleaves girls were really good fun,but I was surprised that Joan became a Nun.I have the feeling you would be 10 or so years younger than me because in our day the best entertainment going was on Friday and Saturday nights when the Salisbury pub closed and your immediate neighbours--the Lunts and the Kelly's came out swearing and fighting from the pub all the way to Southey St.We wouldn't miss it for the world--it was priceless.I hope you enjoy this site and please keep in touch as there's so much I could tell you about the fabulous Southey St crowd--Best Regards---Billy B
Bootlelass

Hi Billy
Thank you for the nice welcome I am loving the site, only found out about it the other day. Those fights you mention were brilliant. I think everyone was hooked behind the net curtains waiting for the pub to shut and the entertainment to begin, we all used to be glued to the window waiting. :lol: I look forward to hearing more about our street from you. Not surprised you remember my Mum she was one of the characters in the street, with 8 kids there was always one of us in some scrap. She feared no one and held her own on many occaision. Can't wait to hear more from you.
Babs
bboardman

Hi --the great thing about the Lunts and the Kelly's fighting it was just the WOMEN.I also remember your mam taking on Martha Lunt one day--Martha didn't try that again---I'll be in touch-cheers Billy B
Bootlelass

IHi Billy
I don't remember a Martha Lunt, Katie Lunt was the mother and Kitty the daughter. Was Martha the grandmother then? I know there were always some really funny days with her and Bill. She had a run in with him almost daily. She used to go for the Echo and go missing in the Chaucer for ages which often caused murder when she finally got back. Bill was a lovely man I remember when he went in hospital and came out with a hole in his throat, us kids were amazed by that. He couldn't talk then but it never stopped him going off on one and that was funny. I think as kids we saw things differently to the grown ups. He used to keep pigeons in the back yard and it drove my Mum crazy. She was always telling him off for throwing corn in the street so he could catch them for his loft. I remember one night we were all out in the street and Christie and a few others were playing cricket, I was sat on the wall behind him when he hit me straight in the mouth with the bat. I came to in the kitchen with the blood everywhere and Katie cleaning me with a wet flannel. I think I fainted a couple of times. Christie took off terrified at the sight of the blood but came back later to see how I was. Last I heard of him he went on a tramp ship somewhere. Happy days eh?
Babs
tony barwise

Is anyone reading this section as it is over 3 years old. Our family lived in Southey St late 50s to early 60s and we rember the Hollands Wrights and Slaters.

Tony
BOBHAMO

Hi Tony and welcome :lol: :lol:
this is what it looks like now
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
tony barwise

Thanks for the rapid response. This site has certainly brought back many memories of 50 years ago - some things have changed and yet the end of Southey St is hardly changed at all.

We lived above one of the houses above the shops - with a back entrance at the end of the alleyway where the green door is on the left side of Southey street. Where the new houses are is where there were prefabs built after the war.

We attended St James and it was sad to see that it is no longer there.

My parents became pub managers and managed the Elm house for a few years in the 1960s. I see that this is now derelict.
bboardman

Hi Tony and welcome to the forum.Almost opposite our house at 96 marsh lane[between Southey and Shelley St] was a butchers [can't remember their name] but above them lived a neat family.the only access to get into their place was through their back door and that entry was in the jigger and must have been next door,or close to it, from your home, From memory there was 3 girls and one boy.When I was a kid this lad made a big impression on me,he was 3 or 4 years older than me and this was in the 50s.Do you remember this family---Billy
tony barwise

Hi Billy,

We got to our place by going down the back alley and we were right on the corner. When you are young you don't always realize the context of where you live and everything seemed so massive compared to the pictures you can see today on google maps.

Did you live opposite the row of shops? What years were they? I am trying to remember what shop we lived above and for some reason I thought it was a book shop. I will ask my older brother who might remember it better.

I remember the sweet shop - Suzie Slaters(?) in the row of shops opposite.

I also remember looking out of the back of our place and along the back of the roww of shops where this family must have lived.

By neat do you mean posh??

When you lived opposite did you live in the houses that are still there today or in something different?

Tony
john j connell

Was the butchers name John Lee? the shop on the corner was Rayners. JJC.
tony barwise

OK I have had a long chat to my older brother to see what he can remember. We lived there from 1950-1959 and we think we were above a bookshops which later became a hairdressers.

The shops starting from the southey street end and going toward shelley street were :
Chemists - Rayners
Sweetshop (Suzie wrights)
Butchers (rayners)
Bookshop/Hairdressers (us above)
Fish and Chip Shop

My brother remembers something about the family - one of the three girls may have been called Eileen(?) They were older than us ( 5-6 years - so about 16-18??) and didn't mix with us youngsters. He said they were somewhat aloof.

My brother remembers the wrights, hollands and lavells. We were all part of the Southey street gang and had running fights with the shelley street gangs. We were friends with Billy and Stanley Wright(?) and one of the Hollands. My brother will post on the site as he has a better memory than me.

regards

Tony
IBarwise

We lived at 97 Marsh lane. I was part of a Southey street gang - we were always fighting the Shelley strret gang. Billy Holland was the oldest, then Alan Wright, his cousin Harold Wright, and Billy LaVelle - that would be 1959.

I'm amazed somebody else remembers Mrs Carlin - she was a lovely old woman, yes, very tiny, I can just picture her, wearing a pinny and glasses - she must have died about 1958. I remember the Lunts. Yes Bootlelass, Mrs Heffernan used to terrify us - she got very angry, she hated us playing football in the street. The Hollands had a vicious white dog. Micky Denne used to collect (illegal) bets standing in the entry just outside the Hollands. Yes, the bonfire was a big event - we used to collect wood from weeks before, and cook potatoes in the hot embers. And we played marbles (ollies) in that bombed space - it was easy to make a hole in the ground.
matt wethered

Hi Tony B,my wife Sheila was born at #2 Southey Street in the flats above the shop on the other corner to the chemist.The family that lived above the chemist were called Fairclough and Sheila used to play with one of their daughters Eileen.She also went to St James's school along with her brother George and sister Ann.Their surname was Worrall and Sheila was born 1948 but George was born in 1945.Two very kind gentlemen from our forum took Sheila and myself on a tour of Bootle some years ago when we were over but that corner of Southey Street(#2) does not exist anymore.
Matt
bboardman

Hey Tony--what you've posted makes absolute sense to me and i'm beginning to think maybe you are the family i'm referring to.do you have any sisters?---Billy
BOBHAMO

sorry to say to are marsh lane members there are only a few shops
left from the one time busy marsh lane i have photographed all that is left
i have done your house billy for nostalga
spent many happy years living in milton street , bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
bboardman

Incidently Tony re my previous post--when I said the family was 'neat' I should have said 'great'---Billy
bboardman

BOB--you really are something.What a photo!!!--Billy
tony barwise

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6155/619 ... dc6d_s.jpg

This is the first time I have posted images so this may not work. I have put the two images on flickr so they can be accessed by everyone. Hopefully the links work even if the images don't show properly.

I copied the southey street location from old maps 1957 which shows the area and house numbers. On one of the images I have posted where I think everyone lived. Some of the houses are no longer there ( end of Southey and end of Shelley streets) which makes the order of the shops confusing.

I have a twin sister who has red hair so she was fairly memorable when she lived there.

I hope this helps.

Tony
tony barwise

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68103729@N ... otostream/

My previous post didn't seem to work well - above is the direct link.

Tony
BOBHAMO

hear they are tony :o
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Gortaphuill

Hi
I was just looking at the map of the block of shops between Shelley and Southey Streets. Someone mentioned the butcher, John Lee. That shop was called A Morris & Son and was number 99. Johnny managed it for my Grandad and later my Dad, Jimmy Morris. There was also another A Morris butcher at 171 Marsh Lane, managed by my Dad's cousin Jimmy Gedman, who, before he married, lived over number 99. Susie Slater had the general shop next door to 99.

Barbara
Thackeray Gardens, Merton Grove, Walton and Birkdale, now Co Mayo
PETER CRAIG

ed
Last edited by PETER CRAIG on Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PETER CRAIG

tony barwise wrote:OK I have had a long chat to my older brother to see what he can remember. We lived there from 1950-1959 and we think we were above a bookshops which later became a hairdressers.

The shops starting from the southey street end and going toward shelley street were :
Chemists - Rayners
Sweetshop (Suzie wrights)
Butchers (rayners)
Bookshop/Hairdressers (us above)
Fish and Chip Shop

My brother remembers something about the family - one of the three girls may have been called Eileen(?) They were older than us ( 5-6 years - so about 16-18??) and didn't mix with us youngsters. He said they were somewhat aloof.

My brother remembers the wrights, hollands and lavells. We were all part of the Southey street gang and had running fights with the shelley street gangs. We were friends with Billy and Stanley Wright(?) and one of the Hollands. My brother will post on the site as he has a better memory than me.

regards

Tony
Welcome to the Bootle forum Tony,
Peter.
Bootle Lad

Hi Tony
I went to Gray St and had a mate Alan Barwise and often visited his house in that area. Is he related to you?
Ray Mears
Arrived in New Zealand in 1964 to get away from the cold winters of the early 60's. Now residing in Pakuranga, Auckland.
tony barwise

Ray

I have a cousin called Alan Barwise who is a little younger than me. I don't know if it is the same one - what do you remember about his family?

Tony
Bootle Lad

Hi Tony
Alan would be 69 and he lived on the right hand side of one of the streets running from Peel Rd to Marsh Lane, I thought it might be Southey, I know that Stan Wright lived on the left in Southey, he was in my class at Gray St and also the Grammar, so sad he died so young, if you see Alan say hello to him from Ray Mears
Cheers
Ray
Arrived in New Zealand in 1964 to get away from the cold winters of the early 60's. Now residing in Pakuranga, Auckland.