Drs. John Wood and Bathurst and other shops on Aintree Rd

Find Bootle friends and family here
paton

Hi Sue,
Dr Woods, buckley,and another dr. had their surgery on the corner of aintree road, and hawthorne rd. The chippy and, the wool shop was further up on aintree rd, by the junction of fernhill rd. The drs surgery is still on the corner, but I believe it is moving to the opposite side of the road, as they have done with the chemist, which was on the corner shops on marsh lane.
Regards Rodney.
Rodney
Born in Gloucester Road,
paton

Hi Sue, maybe i'm wrong about the wool shop, what year are you looking at? and when did you move to Canada, I believe there is plenty of snow there at the moment, or at least around toronto area.
Rodney.
Rodney
Born in Gloucester Road,
matt wethered

So you don't remember the 60's eh Sue?You must have been having a good time.
Matt
marielou

Hi Matt,they were my doctors,we were transfered to them when Dr. Hanlon who used to be at the far end of Hawthorne Rd.(near Christ Church) retired.The doctors that have the surgery now are Indian or Pakistan.
Marielou
The 3rd was Dr. Bathurst
matt wethered

Hi Marielou,you are getting your Sue's and Matt's mixed up.I'm the chubby one with no hair,Sue is the pretty one with grown kids that could be mistaken for her sisters!!
I still take master card ,visa and cash Sue
Matt
marielou

Sorry Sue,Matt,
It could be the time of night,my age or that last glass of red wine.

Marielou.
frank delamere

matt wethered wrote:Hi Marielou,you are getting your Sue's and Matt's mixed up.I'm the chubby one with no hair,Sue is the pretty one with grown kids that could be mistaken for her sisters!!
I still take master card ,visa and cash Sue
Matt
MATT, i have to give it to you, your a tryer, almost as good as [need i say it??] WATERS or ron w as he prefers
frank
frank delamere

MATT, DID IT ARRIVE
frank
paton

Hi Sue
Talking to old neighbour, from gloucester rd, I am right about the wool shop. Appletons was on aintree rd, and then changed hands, but was still sort of same shop. Next door, there was a shop, that was split in two, one side sold babywear and, childrens clothes and, the other side sold wool. I remember my sister, used to get her wool there, hope this helps you remember. The chippy is still there and, sells everything under the sun. What was wrong with Ontario, I have lots of relatives living there.
Rodney.
Rodney
Born in Gloucester Road,
ken

Dr. Buckley was our doctor. I lived on Gloucester Rd. for fifteen years but didn't have tovgo to the doctors much. My mother had to pay sixpence to see him I seem to remember. He was the first person I saw without black under his fingernails - funny what you remember isn't it? A bit further up and opposite was a dairy and then a smithy - I spent some time watching horses being shod. I can still remember the smell as the redhot shoes were being hammered on the hooves. Then there was a garage which had gravity feed petrol pumps which were also cheap entertainment for a small boy. When a car pulled in and was getting petrol the big glass container at the top of the pump bubbled as more petrol arrived at the top.

Ken
Roberts, Allison are the Bootle names I'm interested in.

Thorp(e), Ballard, Parry, Lucas, Dodd, Jacobson, are Liverpool ancestors.
matt wethered

Sue ,no cheque yet but you know how bad Canada post is,anyway if you sent it in U.S $ I,m losing money 'cos the Canadian $ is up again.
Rodney,your relatives in Ontario have more than likely not been to Vancouver(paradise)Island or else they would move here.
Matt
paton

Hi Matt, I have 8 cousins living in the collingwood area, of ontario, they originate from my dads brother who went there in 1926 and, married there. also some relatives in orillia, brampton, and Oakville. We have been several times, but only in the summer time. I do not think any of them have been over your way though. Regards Rodney.
Rodney
Born in Gloucester Road,
matt wethered

That's it Sue,nothing under the Hanukkah bush for you.
Matt
frank delamere

heh folks, no falling out,especially over money.because MATT you should know by now, what it is like, to get a woman, to part with money. i ask yer
frank
paul1965

just getting back to topic..there was also a few shops on the corner of aintree and wocester jimmy payne the ex lfc and efc player had the sweet shop and there was a bookies aswell...further up appletons, fine fare, woolshop where roy evans's mum worked, the old chippy, ross's cant remember them all
vera

Paul, With Respect if you go back to Bootle P/P/F you will see this area.
Has been coverd. the first year Mack, got the forum. online,
Good Luck to You And Your Dear ones, Cheers Vera
vfc
bill

Hi sue
the docs on the corner of aintree road & hawthorn rd was Dr Bathhurst & Buckley & Wood.
We used to call them Freeman Hardy & Willis, The first place you got to walking up Aintree Rd was the dairy, the next shop on the corner of Wocester Rd was paynes sweet shop. A row of houses for 100yds the first shop after that was an ice cream factory. Then Appletons then the wool shop, then the chip shop, then the barbers, right on the corner was the post office. Round the corner in to Fernall Rd was the Chemist then the green grocers then Liptons & the last shop was Scotts Bread.
I left Bootle in 1960 & now live in Leicester
Bill :D
the top of audely street

this family might be on the way to the doctors.
the langton dock goods yard
the top of audely street

they come down from the top of aintree road and crossed safely at the aintree pub across fernhill
ron waters

The family of ducks dont seem to be having much luck , maybe they are thirsty and were heading for the Pacific , which seems to be closed and the Aintree is also .
Ron
the top of audely street

defo going to see the qauck.
ron waters

I know I am a bit Quackers because I am thinking Henry might have told the ducks to go to one of his ex pubs , the Pacific on Linacre Road and by mistake they went to the Pacific on Aintree Road , do you think I am in Cuckoo Land ??
Ron
arthur

:D I was reading the articles on dr wood, buckley, & bathurst.my name is arthur orchard i was born aug 1935 at partington ave, i remember going to there office on corner of hauthorn & aintree rd , the butchers shop was opposite on marsh lane. i remember greens dairy best ice cream in town on corner aintree,& worcester rd. with jimmy pains sweet & paper shop on opposite. further up aintree rd we had cleaners, appletons soap ect, chipy, conneys sweet shop, then round the corner on fernhill rd was masims chemist, rosses fruit &veg, with scotts grocers on corner. lets not forget the aintree pub, good memories. my wife i & our three girls left bootle in may 1971 we live oregon city oregon u.s.a. arthur
alan yates

Dr Bathurst was my families doctor, I can remember going in to the surgery by the back door, can you remember the paper shop on the corner of Aintree Rd and Worcester Rd call pains, and the dairy on the opposite corner of Worcester Rd, what was there name the ice cream was to die for.we used to have a milkman who used to call for his money every friday night and during the summer he used to let us ride on the back of his van to the bottom of the street. oh the good times.
Ron W

Alan The paper shop on the corner of Worcester Road was correct it did belong to Jimmy Payne , who was a Liverpool footballer who later joined Everton , and you are right the ice cream in the dairy was really lovely , was it made by Pendletons ?
Ron
graham

Was not the dairy mentioned named Greens?
paton

Hi All,
The dairy was greens and, they used to make their own ice cream, mr. green did tell me once how he made it, and it was a long process, but thats what made it so delicious. People would queue up outside the shop all year round for it.
Rodney.
Rodney
Born in Gloucester Road,
Ed Davies

Hi Rodney
What was his secret :D
Ed
paton

Hi Ed, Mr.green told me that the way to good ice cream, was using filters, by this he meant, he used to pass it through numerous filters, they would get smaller at each stage. this resulted in ice cream which was far better than pendletons or walls.

Rodney.
Rodney
Born in Gloucester Road,
Ed Davies

Hi Paton what flavours did he do?
Ed
paton

believe it or not, Vanilla, that was all you could get, as far as i can remember in any make of ice cream.
rodney
Rodney
Born in Gloucester Road,
Ed Davies

:D I thought that was going to be your answer :D these days you could get crocodile flavour with a ferret toping if you wanted.
Ed
Not that I have found that flavour yet :D :D :D
alan yates

just moving up from Aintree Rd a bit doe's any one remember the youth club, that was on Gloucester Rd adjacent to Leicester Rd, will the person who borrowed my spencer davies (keep on running) record please return it LOL. Alan.
arthur

:) :) The owners ot that ice cream shop.Mr and Mrs Green,the best soft ice cream sandwich in town.

Arthur.
graham

Leicester Rd ran only from Fernhill rd to worcester rd Don;t think it went as far as Gloucester Rd