Warwick Bolam

Find Bootle friends and family here
Mal W

I attended Warwick Bolam from 73-77. I was supposed to go to Bootle Grammar and of course they merged the same year so I ended up at Warwick Bolam. I will never forget the motley crew of teachers such as Pop "you orrible little urchin" Taylor and his size 12 trainer. Charles "Blinky" Grailcourt, the mad chainsmoking French teacher. What about Grimly the music teacher who enjoyed removing a peice of chalk from your arse with his cane like he was using a six iron. Duda the mad Polish woodwork teacher was a classic too always muttering "Shatcliff" which was no doubt a polish swear word whilst burying a chisel in the side of your head. Matthews the religion teacher was a dead eye and could hit two pupils with one board duster from the other end of the class. The only sane ones seemed to be Jack Westby even though he enjoyed pilling tufts of chest hair out while showing you his cartilages he kept in a pickle jar and the lovely Miss Slowey our French teacher who blushed rather easily. You could make a movie of these characters and call it "The House of Horrors" However, in those days it was the norm. I would love to hear from any old school mates, especially those from Sterrix CP and Ford Estate. I have been in the States since 83 and don't get back too often but would love to reminice.
BOBHAMO

Jan

:D

hi Mal,

Have you joined the friendsreunited website?

Here is a list of members names from Warwick Bolam that left the school in 1977.

1977 Mark - (Robbo)
1977 Colyn Ball
1977 Gillian Clarke
1977 Michael Doyle
1977 Peter Edwards
1977 Stephen Ellison
1977 Alan Fabretti
1977 Robert Graham Escape the rat-race
1977 Phil Greenough
1977 Peter Hayes
1977 Gary Jackson (Jacko)
1977 ann Knight
1977 Stuart McNeight
1977 Cameron Montgomery I'm on the waiting list
1977 ken Nelson

Jan
jwalker85@hotmail.com

Just would like you to know that Mr.Duda was the Discus Champion of Poland before World War II . He was very well educated but the British Educational System would not accept his qualification, so he taught himself Woodwork and became a teacher of it! He was a difficult man to know but I liked him outside of the classroom especially when he helped out coaching Athletics.
He was always upset at us british because we lacked self diciplin.
He was a very proud man.
I was at St. Marys 1946 -1955. Joe
It takes all types to make the world go on its merry way!
By the way I feel sure God made it just like the way he likes it!
mal9017

I "attended" the Bolam '62-66 pretty good school except for a couple of reprebates that made the rest of the school suffer all trying to be the "COCK"
of the school they will know who they were.If they have mastered the noble art of reading yet.Mr Jack Westby what a powerful man he was in the 60's Pete Dee was his oppo Mr Thomas deputy head/Mr Griffith head that married the head from the Countess ,Mr Bingham /and who of my age could forget the truest hero of the Bolam teachers Mr Clayton a survivor of the Great War
14-18 poor man was Gassed on the somme but the afore mentioned idiots made the poor mans life hell.I could go on for ever about the Good old days at the school .
I would love to hear from anybody that was at the school in my years
Mal MacDonald ex 4G :x
Mr Jackson the science teacher with Bessy And Bertha the size 12s with the drawing pins in them ouch
mal mac
mal9017

I "attended" the Bolam '62-66 pretty good school except for a couple of reprebates that made the rest of the school suffer all trying to be the "COCK"
of the school they will know who they were.If they have mastered the noble art of reading yet.Mr Jack Westby what a powerful man he was in the 60's Pete Dee was his oppo Mr Thomas deputy head/Mr Griffith head that married the head from the Countess ,Mr Bingham /and who of my age could forget the truest hero of the Bolam teachers Mr Clayton a survivor of the Great War
14-18 poor man was Gassed on the somme but the afore mentioned idiots made the poor mans life hell.I could go on for ever about the Good old days at the school .
I would love to hear from anybody that was at the school in my years
Mal MacDonald ex 4G :x
Mr Jackson the science teacher with Bessy And Bertha the size 12s with the drawing pins in them ouch
mal mac
PETER CRAIG

Last edited by PETER CRAIG on Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenswayken

Hello Mal, Only just signed up for this. I was at the Bolam similar years.
Mr Darcy - Physics - scary guy! Mr Clarkson - English/Lit. Kenny Campbell - maths, played for Skem. I remember Mr Clayton, a real gent.
Ed Davies

Welcome to the forum
Warwick Bolam Assembly hall and dining room
Ed
kenswayken

I remember it well Ed. Lining up for lunch one day, hand inspection, the woodwork teacher (maybe Cohen, little stout fellah) took a pen knife to a splinter in my finger. Imagine that in todays namby pamby schools!!
kenswayken

Sorry Ed, It was Mr Corren , not Cohen.
billyw

Hello

Yep, I remember all the names you mentioned and especially Mr Jack Westby as he was an absolute gentleman and my P.E teacher. I played footabll and cricket for the school and had many fond memories from that time. I left the school before it became integrated. My mother lived right next to the old school to this day and when I return home to visit her I often walk past and memories flood back. Good Times, Good Friends Oh for a brief return to those days.

Take care and I hope more people post about their time in the school

Best Wishes

Billy Willcox ( 57 years old )

PS: I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM OLD SCHOOL MATES
Bonesy

I was at Warwick between 1965 - 69. As a kid I remember the assembly hall being huge, when I went back there about 10 years ago to the now NAC to referee a match I looked in on the hall and was surprised to see that it was not as big as I remembered.

The teachers I remember, the head Mr Griffiths, music Mr Grimley (Grimbo),
woodwork Mr Corren & Mr Doo Dah, English, Mr Roberts (Blob)
Maths & Form Teacher Mr Jackson (Jacko)
Geography, Mr Barrett
R.E. Mr Marshall (Lurch) he took great pleasure inflicting pain with his collection of weapons to punish you, sadistic B%$£&@D.
Physics, Mr Darcy
English Lit, Mr Taylor (Pop Taylor) liked to watch us taking a shower after P.E. HMMMMM
And a very odd Mr Pritchard-Jones (Prick Jones) who had a very strong Welsh accent. He taught chemistry, but loved to talk about UFOs get him on the subject and he would talk non stop for a double lesson.
And of course Mr Jack Westby PE played for Liverpool Reserves at some point. Had the "red hand" off him on more than one occasion, but a nice guy.

Great days

Keith
BOBHAMO

just a few snaps of the bolam , bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
kenswayken

Sad to see the old place now Bobhamo. It was brand new when I went there. Thanks for the pics.
Hi Keith, Jack's "Red Hand" was a fearsome weapon which he dished out depending on his mood. If the class before had wound him up, watch out, I recall, but normally he had good reason but it did hurt.
billyw

Hi

Yep all those names I know very well and I was there around those years also. My mother lives just over the bridge in Harrops Croft to this day but before that we were in Swifts Lane.

I was Tudor house Captain in my final year at the Bolam and played cricket & football for the school. I took golf as part of my duke of edinburgh award and still play today and love my golf.

I remember the year I left they took Mr Dooh Dahs little car and carried it into the school carpark on planks of wood and left it there and as the front gate was the only way to get a car in or out he was stuck there.

I'm 57 years old this year and so as I say was around the school the same times and enjoyed myself, well for most of the time. Before the Bolam I went to Netherton Moss.

Thanks for the pictures and I agree it is a shame what has become of the school

Best Wishes

Billy Willcox
Thommos sister

Hi BB's excuse my ignorance, who was Warwick Bolam?
I've googled and only get the school not the person.

Thank you
T.S :)
kenswayken

Hi TS, he was a former director of education for Bootle I believe. K
lyn willcox

hi im just thinking abouy those early days at the bolam, jack westby called me long shanks , and had me running for the bolam in cross country running along with my mate don sturgeon, i left in 1968 it was a good school in those days , i remember marshal he taught R I and yes he was a fanatic. i came back to referee a school match at the request of jack westby, if anyone has memories of those days please contact les willcox ,i would love to hear from you. my brother billy willcox went to warwick bolam, and alan went to the local grammer school.
billyw

The Top of the morning to you and your lovely wife Lyn

Hi Les

Hope your well big brother?

Lyn has been doing an awesome job with the family ancestry, we all appreciate her efforts.

Heard your now refereeing again big bro, sent many off LOL

Take care Les & Lyn

Billy Willcox .......... Little Brother
lily8

This is a piece from a schools site Tina, not being Bootle born I really don't know?? The pupil teacher looks likely!

Warwick Bolam Secondary School
Glover's Lane, Bootle

Merged with Bootle Grammar in 1973 to form Warwick Bolam High School. Operated as a split site school, eventually amalgamating with Countess of Derby School in Browns Lane in 1983 to form Bootle High School. The school closed in 2009. Thanks to Richard REEVE, a teacher at the school, for this information. Wondered about the name. In 1911 there was a pupil teacher called Warwick BOLAM living with his family in Durham. Another Warwick Hall BOLAM, born 1913, died in Peterborough in 1995. A further Warwich Hall BOLAM, born 1922, emigrated the same year to Australia and returned aged 8. There are lots of Warwick BOLAMs. Could be a link? Does anyone know?
Lily
kenswayken

Hi Lily, As I mentioned above I'm sure we were told on joining the school that WB was a former director of education for Bootle. Seems an awful posh name for Bootle don't you think but i've come across a few warwicks since then or War wick as US friends say. Brgds/Ken
Jenp

My brother Freddie Peace attended this school late 50's, he was only saying the other week, how much he hated that school, anyone remember him, cheers Jenp.
tommoulsdale

I am interested in anybody who attended Warwick Bolam in these years 1959 to 1963. My name is Tom Moulsdale ie : ( Mousa ). I played Football (team captain some years)and cricket for the school. Jack (red hand ) Westby Phys ed,Clarkson form master and english teacher,Darcy-Physics,Hughes-Maths,Griff head master.Corren woodwork.
Players I remember were John Braithwaite,goalie,Peter ? centre half,Eddie van Duyvenboda (excuse spelling ) midfielder, Alan Clark winger.
I now live in Canada and I am interested in contacting anybody from this era.
kenswayken

Hello Tom, I was a year later. I remember Braithwaite in goal (Head boy I recall) Mr Darcy was the Physics teacher, once gave me 5% in exam and described my Physics as "weak" in end of year report. Mr Griffiths & Mr Clarkson (English) I recall but our Maths teacher was Kenny Campbell who played with Steve Heighway at Skem. Ken
billyw

Hi Les & Lyn

Hi big brother and sis in law ................ What my big brother eludes to is the fact that he was one hell of a football referee and went onto become a FIFA referee in Canada and refereed many National games over there. Proud of you big brother.

Take care Les and hope you are enjoying the game again in Ireland and is it football or hurling your refereeing there/ Joking bro.

Love your brother

Billy
nicola jackson

I attended Warwick Bolam school from 1981 and then it merged with the Countess of Derby and became Bootle High. i remember Jack Westby very well, he was retired but became my gymnastics coach after school. he was a lovely man and a real gentleman. I remember his tales of playing for Liverpool and I remember him fondly.
kenswayken

Welcome Nicola -- WB in 1981, you must be one of the youngest contributors on this forum, I hope you enjoy it. Jack Westby was indeed a gent. He tested us on our Duke of Edinburghs award (bronze) we had to walk to Altcar, camp overnight and our cooking test consisted of making him a cup instant coffee. We were kids and didn't drink coffee and didn't bring any. Fortunately Jack had brought the makings and we passed the test. :D Ken
Michael Williams

Hi Mal, interesting to read your message, I too was there from 62-66, and remember the names you mention. I also remember a Mr Wilkinson - Chemistry and was surprised to read the Mal's (73-77) post that Jack Westby and Mr Grimley were still there then, Happy days ? Any contact with Ronnie O'Grady, Alan Leake, or Keith Howells ?
john1878

Michael Williams wrote:Hi Mal, interesting to read your message, I too was there from 62-66, and remember the names you mention. I also remember a Mr Wilkinson - Chemistry and was surprised to read the Mal's (73-77) post that Jack Westby and Mr Grimley were still there then, Happy days ? Any contact with Ronnie O'Grady, Alan Leake, or Keith Howells ?
Hi great reading.My brother Richard Doughty was there the same time as well.His best friend was Pete Macintyre(now living in Skem)also Alan Murphy(?)who was a very good footballer & derek cotterill.i attended 66-70 & 1 teacher no one has mentioned is Mr Plunkett.
Happy days
kenswayken

Hi John, I remember Mr Plunkett, he taught us Spanish. He took over from Mr Mason who lived in Appleby Drive, Ford. :wink: K
john1878

A trip to Switzerland.Either the summer of 67 or 68.
Thats me 2nd left.Anyone recognise the others?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
moggymorgan

I attended from 60/65 then left to join the Navy at Easter
eddieM

Hi everyone I attended Warwick Bolam school and I remember all the Teachers mentioned especially Jack Westby, Mr Clarkson ,Messrs Holmes, Darcy, Corrin.Head Mr Griffiths.
Lived at Armstrong St, Sherborne Ave, Coventry Ave. Still in Netherton.
kenswayken

That's Mr Clarkson in the middle, I believe. :wink: Ken