Warwick Bolam

Find Bootle friends and family here
Invicta

Clare, I also remember a Mr Stephenson who taught History. :D Ken
CHByrne

Thanks again, Can anybody send me a photo of the programme including its inside sections?It has "printed by JP Byrne on the bottom of the page.

BW to all, Clare
ericporter

Hi all, I'm just catching up on this forum. Found it brought back many happy memories of Warwick Bolam. I was there between 1964 to 1969. We lived in Westminster Avenue just off Eden Vale so it was a quick jump over the playing field railings and I was in school. I remember most of the teachers previously mentioned. Jack Westby (PE), Wynn Lloyd (English), Peter Hurley (maths), Mr Grimley (music), Mr Duda and Mr Corren (woodwork). I think the metal work teacher was Mr Oliver. Didn't get on with Mr Darcy he was scary. Looked like Count Dracula! Pritchard Jones did like to go on about UFOs and aliens!
We did have great football teams at that time. In fact there's a team photo in the Bootle Times from May 1965 when every one of the school teams won every league and cup to be had. It nurtured some great football talent too with a few of us going on to professional standard, including Hughie McAuley, Derek Acorah (Johnson then) and yours truly. All went on to play at Liverpool FC in the reserves. I was lucky to play with Ron Yeats, Ian St John and Phil Thompson. Hughie eventually went on to be on the coaching staff under Souness, Dalglish and Houllier.
Some class mates/team players I remember include Wally France(GK), Mike Jackson (Tank), Paul Wilson, David Graham, David Young, Willy Wilcox, Paul Mosses. Great times.

eric porter
ALAMO2008

Are you saying Derek Johnson went to Warwick Bolam and not St Thomas Aquinas?
ericporter

Hi, yes he did. I was at Netherton Park junior school with Derek. He was 2 years older than me. We both went on to Warwick Bolam. In the Bootle Times photo I mentioned earlier he is on the back row.
ALAMO2008

Thanks for that I was told years ago he was in my year at Warwick Bolam 1962 to 1967 and I do remember a Derek Johnson
But when Derek Acorah died Social media told me No.
His Family lived in Dodge and were Catholic
So went therefore to St Thomas Aquinas.

That proves them wrong .
Invicta

ericporter wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:34 pm Hi all, I'm just catching up on this forum. Found it brought back many happy memories of Warwick Bolam. I was there between 1964 to 1969. We lived in Westminster Avenue just off Eden Vale so it was a quick jump over the playing field railings and I was in school. I remember most of the teachers previously mentioned. Jack Westby (PE), Wynn Lloyd (English), Peter Hurley (maths), Mr Grimley (music), Mr Duda and Mr Corren (woodwork). I think the metal work teacher was Mr Oliver. Didn't get on with Mr Darcy he was scary. Looked like Count Dracula! Pritchard Jones did like to go on about UFOs and aliens!
We did have great football teams at that time. In fact there's a team photo in the Bootle Times from May 1965 when every one of the school teams won every league and cup to be had. It nurtured some great football talent too with a few of us going on to professional standard, including Hughie McAuley, Derek Acorah (Johnson then) and yours truly. All went on to play at Liverpool FC in the reserves. I was lucky to play with Ron Yeats, Ian St John and Phil Thompson. Hughie eventually went on to be on the coaching staff under Souness, Dalglish and Houllier.
Some class mates/team players I remember include Wally France(GK), Mike Jackson (Tank), Paul Wilson, David Graham, David Young, Willy Wilcox, Paul Mosses. Great times.

Eric,
I remember Mike Jackson, he was from Musker Drive, Ford. He was a couple of years younger than me but he always played footy with us bigger lads and I remember he showed some promise. Ken

eric porter
Keith Wilson

kenswayken wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:34 pm Does anyone remember Mr Clayton the Music Teacher ? He was well in to his 70's when I was there in early 60's :wink: Ken
I remember he always had a damp patch.
Keith Wilson

ALAMO2008 wrote: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:55 am I was at Warwick Bolam 1961 to 1967 in class with Bryn Vaughan, Eddie Kelly, Stevie Jones, Paul Bray,Paul Johnson and ?
Joined Jack's " Red Hand Gang" in PE lesson, probably more than once. Great bloke, very Fit.
Can't remember if I had Plimsoll or Baseball bat off Peter Dee.
Had caning off Clarkson, as you can see I put Full Stops. everywhere now .
Went passed Warwick site the other week before Xmas. Sad to see it Demolished.

Alan Chapman
I remember your name. I lived in Randall Drive, Ford.
Keith Wilson

lyn willcox wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:27 pm hi im just thinking abouy those early days at the bolam, jack westby called me long shanks , and had me running for the bolam in cross country running along with my mate don sturgeon, i left in 1968 it was a good school in those days , i remember marshal he taught R I and yes he was a fanatic. i came back to referee a school match at the request of jack westby, if anyone has memories of those days please contact les willcox ,i would love to hear from you. my brother billy willcox went to warwick bolam, and alan went to the local grammer school.
Any of these names known to anybody from around your period?
Jimmy Jeffers. John Griffiths. Noel McCullum. Ken Jones. David Allan.
David Scott. Sydney Webster. Jimmy Finnigan.

I would love to get in touch with these old codgers.
ALAMO2008

Were you in 47 Randall Drive at one time ?

Sid Webster became a Fire Officer lives off Randall Dr not far from his Parents.
Jimmy Finegan from St George's Grove became a Policeman
Remember Dave Allen and Dave Scott who lived in Randall Drive
Noel McCullough from Carr Meadow Hey
Kenny Jones from Poulsom Dr
Frank Tobin
Steve Chapman
Peter Gee
Gary Alexander
Paul Bray
Alan Mills
Billy Ainsworth
Keith Wilson

ALAMO2008 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:45 am Were you in 47 Randall Drive at one time ?
Yes. I lived there with my parents and sister Pam. You have brought up some names that time had erased, thanks for that.
Where did you live?

Sid Webster became a Fire Officer lives off Randall Dr not far from his Parents.
Jimmy Finegan from St George's Grove became a Policeman
Remember Dave Allen and Dave Scott who lived in Randall Drive
Noel McCullough from Carr Meadow Hey
Kenny Jones from Poulsom Dr
Frank Tobin
Steve Chapman
Peter Gee
Gary Alexander
Paul Bray
Alan Mills
Billy Ainsworth
ALAMO2008

???

Bonesy

Caught up with two Sterrix and Warwick old boys yesterday. Dave & Ken Walsh. From Hampshire Avenue. Had a good old chat.

Keith.
Bonesy

Keith
Bri

A couple of names from the past there Keith, David Walsh went to the Grammar and Kenny, a year younger went to Warwick in my year, hope they were both well.
Bonesy

Both really well Bri.

Keith
Dan

eddieM wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:02 pm Hi everyone I attended Warwick Bolam school and I remember all the Teachers mentioned especially Jack Westby, Mr Clarkson ,Messrs Holmes, Darcy, Corrin.Head Mr Griffiths.

RaggedTrouseredPhil

While I still have my memories of Warwick Bolam before senility creeps in I can share with you . Four of my brothers attended before me when I entered those side gates in September 66 I think ! Those of you know what happened next as you entered … initiation grabbed by arms & legs and thrown up in the air with a kicking in back as you returned to the grass ! H/teacher Griffiths who had the pleasure of giving me Six of his best for truanting / being caught swimming in the canal one beautiful Summers day ! Early form teacher was Reynolds ( art room ) no problems so far . Metalwork ( Mr Oliver ) a boring double lesson with him each week . Geography ( Mr McKenzie ) enjoyable lessons . Then my favourite, PE with Mr Westby famous for his red hand & knee cartilage in his jar ! I only had the red hand once and that was enough as the pain lasted for some time line a burning sensation. Mr Matthew’s ( PE) younger and more energetic than Westby and chose me to join his Bootle Boys team in my last year1970 . Not a great team
In my opinion with only a few from Bolam in that team one I remember was Eric Smith ( RIP) infact we had 3 smiths in the team including myself and Tommy Smith ( St George’s ) . Finally, I ended up in the Annexe ( Gulag ) in my last year and it was brutal . It’s fair to say all the ‘ less brighter ‘ boys attended here . Best teacher by far was Mr Zhomes ( English ) most frightening was ‘ Pop ‘ Taylor who wrote everything on the board whilst smoking his pipe in between drink his tea. Mr Leadbetter ( Maths ) demanded attention at all times . Fights most days in playground between boys with issues ! My
Last school report I still have and the common theme is my refusal to conform to the ‘ Rules ‘ example : Graham continues to come to school on a denim jacket with long hair over the collar 😜 good days mostly . Thanks for reading