Warwick Bolam

Find Bootle friends and family here
Eddy Lloyd

Ken :D :D
malswann

My name is Malcolm Swann. I have read through all the posts on Warwick Bolam. Someone mentioned Derek Akora. I can confirm his name when he was in my class was Derek Johnson. I remember an Eddie Kelly, Steve Jones and Bryn Vauhan, sadly no other names come to mind. Can any remember our class. Regards Mally Swann.
Bonesy

What years are you talking about Mal ? I remember a Bryn Parry.

Keith (Bonesy) Jones
marknjen

my dad Joey McGrady and Jens dad Richie Lee both went to Warwick Bolam, they were both born in 44,so not sure which years they were there! both remember the evil Clarkson hahahaha
malswann

Hi Bonesy sorry I have not replied earlier. The years i am talking about were 1961 to 1966. I left Warwick Bolam and started work with a company called JD Insulation based in Hawthorne Rd Bootle. I served my time as a sheet metal worker. I loved every minute of it.Regards Mally Swann.
ALAMO2008

The Feared Mr F A Clarkson who taught English and English Lit. took peppermints for his ulcer, if you smelt them going into class, you knew someone was in for a caning for missing a Full Stop. Had a few off him but liked him and his jokes.
He agreed to reach me Latin privately, at no cost in his lunch break, at my request, in 5th year (1966)
Nice to see the photo of him in his prime.
Alan Chapman
kenswayken

Frank Clarkson was the best teacher in the school but he could lose it easily as we all knew to our cost. :roll: Ken
ALAMO2008

Anyone know when that Photo of Clarkson was Taken ?
ALAMO2008

I was at Warwick Bolam 1961 to 1967 in class with Bryn Vaughan, Eddie Kelly, Stevie Jones, Paul Bray,Paul Johnson and ?
Joined Jack's " Red Hand Gang" in PE lesson, probably more than once. Great bloke, very Fit.
Can't remember if I had Plimsoll or Baseball bat off Peter Dee.
Had caning off Clarkson, as you can see I put Full Stops. everywhere now .
Went passed Warwick site the other week before Xmas. Sad to see it Demolished.

Alan Chapman
PETER CRAIG

ALAMO2008 wrote:I was at Warwick Bolam 1961 to 1967 in class with Bryn Vaughan, Eddie Kelly, Stevie Jones, Paul Bray,Paul Johnson and ?
Joined Jack's " Red Hand Gang" in PE lesson, probably more than once. Great bloke, very Fit.
Can't remember if I had Plimsoll or Baseball bat off Peter Dee.
Had caning off Clarkson, as you can see I put Full Stops. everywhere now .
Went passed Warwick site the other week before Xmas. Sad to see it Demolished.

Alan Chapman
Welcome to the Bootle forum Alan,
Peter.
bob. b

Alan welcome l to was in the red had gang but not at Warwick Bolam we played against you lads at Stuart road :D :D Peter was cracking teacher a lot of respect for him.
kenswayken

Banks, Bjelland, Crossley, Donsldson, Edwards,Forsythe, Griffiths, Gerrard, Grice, Harris, Howarth, Hunter, Jackson, Lavery, Murray, Porter, Railton, Stoppforth, Williams.

These are some of the names of the register I recall 59 - 64 in the A stream

I received punishment from Corrin, with a dowel cain, Westby, red hand Gang, Campbell, cain, Clarkson, cain, the whole class one day for being noisey whist waiting outside his class.
Darcy was evil, Mr Clayton the elderly music teacher had "bladder problem" Franklyn the Practical Drawing teacher was Napoleon, he kept a kettle in his class that was often "refreshed" by some mentioned above. Others I remember . Stephenson, Irwin, Barrett, Thomas, Plunkett, Mason.

Never liked it there but the facilities were great and it obviously did me no harm :D K
BOBHAMO

Great memory Ken :D :D :D
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
kenswayken

Little bit of senility Bob, as I see I posted similar last year :oops: Ah well, all those beatings took their toll :lol: Ken
BOBHAMO

Quick one Ken seeing you played for blessed sac i wondered
why not ford villa as this was your area :D :D we had some good matchs against
both teams bob hamo
ps i think the school has been demolished
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
kenswayken

What pub were they based in Bob? My playing years were about 1967 - 73 .
I also had a spell for Courtaulds (Enka) in the Business House League.
Cheers Ken
BOBHAMO

Ken i think cooksons :D :D :D
we must have met on the pitch :D :D
great days bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
kenswayken

Bob, I also played for a team called Rockfield in a lower JOC division, they only lasted a couple of seasons. I remember playing Borthwicks, FPD etc. As you say great days. :D
Irish-Jay

Just joined Bootle Times and can clear up any confusion about Mr Bolam.
Warwick Hall Bolam was Director of Education for Bootle. He retired in September 1957 and the Council named the school after him.
I think he was the first Director of Education following the 1944 Education Act.
Hope that helps.
Roy Retro

I went to Warwick from 1970-76 and I see on here a lot of praise for Jack Westby and quite rightly, he was a great teacher.
I think it must have been about 1972 and because he used to play for Liverpool he still had contacts there and he arranged for our whole class to visit Anfield football ground, this was at the time when they didn't do organised tours.
It was a day I will never forget because we were shown around the ground and the trophy room and met some of the players and at the end of the day we met the great Bill Shankly, a great personal memory for me.
kenswayken

Anyone remember swimming in the Cut at lunchtime? WB had its own "beach", about half way up the playing field.
Some lads were swimming one lunchtime so we nicked (moved really) their clothes to great hilarity. I remember them chasing us bare arsed across the field. Happy days :lol:
ALAMO2008

So it was you who nicked my clothes !

Here is my First Report from Form Master Mr Unwin

ALAMO2008

malswann wrote:My name is Malcolm Swann. I have read through all the posts on Warwick Bolam. Someone mentioned Derek Akora. I can confirm his name when he was in my class was Derek Johnson. I remember an Eddie Kelly, Steve Jones and Bryn Vauhan, sadly no other names come to mind. Can any remember our class. Regards Mally Swann.

I (Alan Chapman ) was in same Form as them and possibly you, memory fading now. But I remember Eddie and Steve disrupting classes a lot.
ALAMO2008

Found this Programme in the loft -

ALAMO2008

Pages 2 & 3

ALAMO2008

Memories of 1966

kenswayken

On the programme item 5, I see the name of my old mate William Bjelland from Old Roan. K
ALAMO2008

Speech Day Programme pages 2 & 3

ALAMO2008

Speech Day programme page 4

Bonesy

Recognise some names there, Keith Bray, Andrew Fleming, Eddy Garland & Paul Dixon.

Keith
bluephil54

In reply to Alamo2008........have just seen your post of The Speech Day Program,and my older Brother is named in the Program under the O Level results for 1965. My name is Phil O'Grady,we lived in St Aidans Way,which runs parallel to the canal right near where Warwick Bolam used to be. I personally went to Bootle Grammar on The Marian Way,but my older Brother Ron went to the Bolam. In his early years he used the name Ron O'Grady,and has been mentioned on here by those who remember him.....but then decided to use his Birth name which was Ron Metcalfe. He married and emigrated to South Australia in 1971,where He still lives....Ron is a Draughtsman. I also remember a lot of the names I have seen on this topic,especially Billy & Les Wilcox,and their younger brother Allan (RIP) was my best mate for many years and I spent a lot of my teenage years in their house in Harrops Croft on the Sefton Estate,where I was treated like one of the family by their Mum& Dad.I still see lots of "faces" from the past as I still live in the area. I still had hair & most of my own teeth way back then and they were great days.......happy days......great mates....pity we can't bring them back eh ?
Take Care & Be Good Folks
Phil O'Grady
Born St.Christophers Ave,Ford,then St Aidans Way Netherton/Netherton Moss Primary/Bootle Grammar School 1965
CHByrne

Hi, my Dad was Joe Byrne who printed the Speech Day Programme. I thought he taught woodwork and metal work in the 60’s. He was in the next room to Jim Reynolds who was just out of college and taught Art. He had gone to Art college with John Lennon. Does anybody remember the trip to Germany and Austria in 1961/62, and does anybody have any photos of the trip? Other names of teachers were Jeff Barrett, Jeff Hobart and Jack McDermott. Would be lovely to hear from anybody who knew my Dad. Thanks so much, Clare
Invicta

Hi Clare,
I went on a trip to Germany and Austria around that time but have no photos ( I think Mr Griffiths took some cine film at the time )
Our art teacher for a short time was Adrian Henri and Mr Corrin taught woodwork.
Mr Barret, I remember then as Geography teacher.
Mr Thomas, Maths and Deputy Head
Kenny Campbell
Jack West , PE
Mr Darcy, Physics
Frank Clarkson, English, English Lit
Mr Clayton, Music
Mr Unwin,RI.
Kenny Mason, Spanish, followed by Mr Plunkett

Sorry, I don’t recall Mr Byrne or the other names.
Regards
Ken
CHByrne

Hi Ken
Thanks so much for getting back to me. I can remember going up to the school some Saturday mornings with my Dad (Joe Byrne) His room was on the first floor at the front and Jim Reynolds art room was next door. Maybe my Dad taught metal work too. He made simple wooden clocks with movements he ordered from Germany with the boys. Dad went on to teach at St Kevin’s in Kirkby in the 70’s. I’ll try and find a photo. Thanks again. Clare
ALAMO2008

F.A. (Frank) Clarkson M.A. my Favourite Teacher from Formby taught me English and privately Latin.