raleigh street

Find Bootle friends and family here
bambi

Had a ride to Liverpool Today,looking at Raleigh Street,The street were my grandmother lived.Spoke to a lovely man who had a garage or auto repairs there,the building he was in apparentley was a church,he did not know much about the street but he directed me to a man who has a motorbike shop at the top of Raleigh Street.He remembered the street beeing bombeb during the war.Anybody know if there was a church in Raleigh Street,it is a really old building,looking at a wall in the street you could see were the cellars had been bricked up..It was weired to be in the street that my grandmother spent her childhood.Any info on Raleigh Street would be much appricated..Also looking for a place called MarshView in bootle .My father had in his effects after he died an old birth certificate dated 1876 looks like it was his granfather adress Marsh view bootle.Where was Marsh View...Regards Bambi.....
keep youre hat on,slap on the sun cream...you know it makes sense......
Jan

:D

Hi Bambi,

I don't recall a church on Raleigh Street, I will have a dig around.

Marsh View was a little road with only 5 houses, it was off Marsh Lane, near Bullen's Terrace.

Info from "Bootle Signposts"

Jan
Old genealogists never die......they just lose their census.
bambi

Hi Jan,thought the same about the church in the street,but it looks to me it was possibly built after the war.Thanks Mackenzie some interesting threads have learnt a bit more about Raleigh street...Regards Bambi...
BOBHAMO

Hi bambi looked in 1880 ish raleigh street only found the even numbers
but know church will look for the odd numbers but its a bit of a task with out a name.
if you want to you can give your great grandads name and we can look up who lived there for marsh view
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
bernie johno

that street was mentioned in a bootle book where it was said it was one of the roughest in the country .the genies have traced my family to this very st. :D :D :wink:
hood st ,norton st, spenser st ,
bambi

Thanks Bob &Bernie,moving away from Raleigh Street,I am more interested in Marsh View, Bootle.Birth certificate I have is for James Peter Merner,(spealt Marner) obvious spelling mistake)Born 3rd July 1876,father Patrick Marner mother Mary Cain adress 5 Marsh view.. Bootle.I have found Patrick on 1871 census,1881 census,1891 census and 1901 census.Have been trying to find James Patrick Merner (correct spelling) he was my grandfather,he married Annie Oneil about 1919,she lived in Raleigh street when she was a child.Cant seem to find any record of him,he died on the first of january 1969,all I know of him is he was in the army in the 1914 1918 war I think,am looking for his parents but am not having much luck.Also think he was a Sergeant Major in the last war ..According to family stories he took my grandmother out of the workhouse after the war and married her ?...It seems they had a daughter called Annie who was born on the 26th july 1923,Ihave her original birth certificate,.Ithink she died when she was about 2,apparantly she picked up a red hot poker and died from shock..this is all hearsay,not sure if it is correct.Any help on all this would be much appreciated.My father was Patrick Merner Born June 1925,Died March 1997..Regards Bambi....
glossybonce

bambi wrote:Have been trying to find James Patrick Merner (correct spelling) he was my grandfather,he married Annie Oneil about 1919,she lived in Raleigh street when she was a child...Regards Bambi....
Hi Bambi

Can you confirm your grandfathers name and year of birth, I found a marriage for:

England & Wales, Marriage Index: 1916-2005

Name: Patrick J Merner
Spouse Surname: O'neill
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1919
Registration district: West Derby
Inferred County: Lancashire
Volume Number: 8b
Page Number: 1220
Spouse: Annie O'neill
Time is precious.....Waste it wisely.
bambi

Hi Glossy,According to my grandfathers death certificate He was James Patrick Merner,allways known as Jimmy.He was aged 72 when he died on the 1st of January 1969..I have his death certificate.His death was registered by his daughter Jane Smith(my auntie)..It is his parents I seem to be having trouble finding also his siblings,think he had a sister who lived in Netherfield Road,not to sure about her but seem to remember someone saying she was blind..Regards Bambi....
Litherland Digital

From Port Cities website - Original photograph held by Crosby Library - Still in copyright.

Litherland born with Bootle maternal grandparents.
glossybonce

Hi Bambi
I have found a catholic burial in Ford 25 Jan 1949 for a Mary J Merner of 59 Audley St Bootle she was 77 and grave #WD73. She owned the grave from 1931 so somebody else went in it before her.
glossybonce

Sorry Bambi the above are not yours, maybe a relative though i have found them on the 1911. They had been married 12 years with no children.

MERNER, John Husband Married M 40 1871 Fireman Marine Bootle Lanc
MERNER, Mary Jane Wife Married F 38 1873 Bag Sorter Bolton Lanc

Address:
59 Audley St Bootle
bambi

Hi Glossy,looks like she could have been the wife of James Peter Merner born 1876, she would be my grandfathers mother, wonder who was in the grave before her.Anyway of finding out her maiden Name..Regards Bambi...
glossybonce

Hi Bambi

I think we crossed in our posts :lol: :lol:
See my post above your one, she was married to a John Merner, maybe a relative of your grandfather.
bambi

Never mind Glossy,there is a john in the 1871 census,father patrick mother mary.kate,nicholas ,john was aged 2 then...Bit confused now are there a few merner families in bootle at that time...Regards Bambi..
glossybonce

:lol: :lol:

Bambi i found a Patrick Merner died in 1904 age 63 born about 1841 who lived in Langtry Rd Kirkdale. Could this be your gt grandad? Were they a Catholic family?

Here is another Merner family in Litherland 1911
MERNER, James Head Married M 37 1874 Marine Fireman Lancashire Bootle
MERNER, Annie Wife Married17 years F 36 1875 Lancashire Linacre
MERNER, Patrick Son Single M 15 1896 Lancashire Bootle
MERNER, Thomas Son M 11 1900 Lancashire Linacre
MERNER, Michael Son M 9 1902 Lancashire Linacre
MERNER, Mary Tersea Daughter F 3 1908 Lancashire Linacre
MERNER, Annie Elizabeth Daughter F 1 1910 Lancashire Linacre

Address:
78 Beechwood Road Litherland
bambi

Hi Glossy,it all looks right to me,especially Patrick born 1896. but as far as I know family never lived in Litherland,seem to remember there was a uncle Tommy somewere,but not sure..Think John Merner wasone of the sons of Patrick merner and maybe a brother of James peter (born 1876) still a relative.Regards Bambi.....
glossybonce

Here are the family for all the genies. :D

1871 3 Marsh Lane
Patrick Marner 28
Mary Marner 24
Kate Marner 4
John Marner 2
Nicholas Marner 3 Months

1881 5 Marsh View
Patrick Merner 40 Fireman at gasworks, born Ireland
Mary Merner 35 Ireland
Catherine Merner 14
John Merner 12
David Merner 6
James Merner 4
Patrick Merner 8mths
Maggie Merner 3
All children born Bootle
Nearly all his neighbours work in the gasworks.

1891 29 Beattie St
Janet Vidulich 37
Stewart Vidulich 7
Janet Vidulich 3
John Vidulich 1
Patrick Merner 49 Lodger Gas/stoker Ireland
Maggie Merner 12
Annie Merner 6

1901 77 Langtry St
Robert Whiley 31
Margaret Whiley 21 (this is his daughter Maggie)
Patrick Merner 58 widow
Annie Merner 16
Gladys Whiley 7 Months

Cant find James age 4 from the 1881 or Patrick age 8mths they are not with their father so where are they in 1891. Bambi has her grandfathers name as James Patrick born 1897,but his marriage was Patrick James in 1919 so was he the son of one of these boys. Im confused...... :lol: :lol:
glossybonce

glossybonce wrote::lol: :lol:

Bambi i found a Patrick Merner died in 1904 age 63 born about 1841 who lived in Langtry Rd Kirkdale. Could this be your gt grandad? Were they a Catholic family?

Here is another Merner family in Litherland 1911
MERNER, James Head Married M 37 1874 Marine Fireman Lancashire Bootle
MERNER, Annie Wife Married17 years F 36 1875 Lancashire Linacre
MERNER, Patrick Son Single M 15 1896 Lancashire Bootle
MERNER, Thomas Son M 11 1900 Lancashire Linacre
MERNER, Michael Son M 9 1902 Lancashire Linacre
MERNER, Mary Tersea Daughter F 3 1908 Lancashire Linacre
MERNER, Annie Elizabeth Daughter F 1 1910 Lancashire Linacre

Address:
78 Beechwood Road Litherland
So this is the James age 4 son of Patrick and Mary living in Marsh View in 1881, and his son Patrick born 1896 is your grandfather who you know as James Patrick. :lol: :lol:
glossybonce

glossybonce wrote:Sorry Bambi the above are not yours, maybe a relative though i have found them on the 1911. They had been married 12 years with no children.

MERNER, John Husband Married M 40 1871 Fireman Marine Bootle Lanc
MERNER, Mary Jane Wife Married F 38 1873 Bag Sorter Bolton Lanc

Address:
59 Audley St Bootle
And this is another son of Patrick and Mary.
bambi

Hi Glossy Glad you are as confused as I am,seems some of the family have disappeared but there is a confusing theme with the Patricks and James cant work it out..Something does not seem right.My father was called Patrick and it seems Patrick was the main name used in this family.But having said that James was a family name,my uncle born James thomas Merner 1920. and my cousin also called james patrick...Very confusing all these names,Regards Bambi....
glossybonce

Hi Bambi
Just to add to the mix :D I found a Patrick Merner living at 20 Marsh Avenue in 1938.
bambi

Hi Glossy,yes my grandmother lived in Marsh avenue,and possibly my dad how on earth have you found this out. regards Bambi...
glossybonce

YES YES Hahhahahh we have a result at last :lol: :lol:

From a 1938 online directory it only names head of households. Im off to bed been waiting for your reply can sleep happy now... :lol: :lol:

Does this mean Patrick was your grandad head of household, also known as Jimmy. :D
bambi

Hi Glossy,Yes he was my grandfather,great stuff,Thank you.Good Night sleep tight..Regards Bambi...
glossybonce

glossybonce wrote:
1881 5 Marsh View
Patrick Merner 40 Fireman at gasworks, born Ireland
Mary Merner 35 Ireland
Catherine Merner 14
John Merner 12
David Merner 6
James Merner 4
Patrick Merner 8mths
Maggie Merner 3
All children born Bootle
Nearly all his neighbours work in the gasworks.
Hi Bambi

Had a little scout around after you said people were missing in later census i found the young David Merner above had died just 1 year after this census was taken age 8, his mother then had another child named him David and then lost him at age 1 mth old, address was Marsh View, these would be your gt grandfathers brothers.

Patrick Merner died age 5 in 1886 address at time of death was 10 Langton Rd, I'm unsure whether this is Bootle i'm sure someone will tell us otherwise.
BOBHAMO

Hi glossy good posts :lol: :lol:
there is a langton road
in litherland kents pub is on the corner
and the coliseum picture house on the other
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
glossybonce

:D Thanks BobHamo
Bambi :D
I found the Marriage of your gt grandfather James and Annie
England & Wales, FreeBMD Marriage Index: 1837-1915, You said your grandfather Jimmy/Patrick had in his belongings the birth cert of James Peter Merner/Marner 1876 well that was his father whose wedding is below.

Name: James Merner /Annie Baines
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1894
Registration district: West Derby
Inferred County: Lancashire
Volume Number: 8b
Page Number: 857

I hope you can follow all this, It is so confusing with re-occuring names, but i think i have finally cracked it......i hope :lol: :lol:
glossybonce

Hi Bambi :D
And finally the marriages of your grandfather and his siblings:D

MERNER Patrick J O'NEILL Annie West Derby, Register Office or Registrar Attended Liverpool
MERNER Michael BALL Teresa West Derby, Register Office or Registrar Attended Liverpool
MERNER Thomas BRISTOW Ellen Everton, St. Polycarp Liverpool
MERNER Mary T HILL William J Kirkdale, St. Mary Liverpool

The only one i have not found is Annie Elizabeth born 1910...but still looking :shock:

Edit
Sadly she died age 14mths in May 1911.
glossybonce

bambi wrote:It is his parents I seem to be having trouble finding also his siblings,think he had a sister who lived in Netherfield Road,not to sure about her but seem to remember someone saying she was blind..Regards Bambi....
The only sister who was still living from the 1911 census was Mary Teresa Merner she married William Hill :lol: she had 6 children from 1930 to 1941 including a set of twins, Margaret, Lilian, Olive, George, William and Sheila.
bambi

Evening Glossy,Wow,Thank you for all youre work on this,amazing stuff,everything is now fitting into place.You are a star....Great findings on my family .Once again Thank you....Regards Bambi....
glossybonce

:oops: Your welcome i enjoyed doing it....anymore give me a shout. :lol: :lol:
Jeff

Hi Bambi, I believe we have Merner relations in common, I have sent you a pm.
kind regards Jeff, Bootle
Born Clifford St, lived Derby Rd, now Keble Rd Bootle.
Ethan merner

Hello my name is Ethan merner and I’m just trying to find out about my family my Nan is called Kathleen Porter but was married to James merner(my grandad)
She was born by millers bridge in bootle then moved to dodge(aintree) and lived on Hereford drive
BOBHAMO

Welcome Ethan :D :D :D :D
realy need a time frame
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road