Pub in Reading Street circa 1905 - 1910 ??

Find Bootle friends and family here
Paul McCabe

Does anyone know the name of the pub that used to be in Reading Street around 1905 - 1910 ??

Reading Street is close to Woodbine & Pansy Street off Stanley Road.

Apologies that its just over the border in Liverpool (!!%%??).

My great aunt Mary Ann McCabe married the publican there (Joe Fazackerley) & they then emigrated to USA in 1910.

Thanks.

P
lily8

Hi Paul and welcome I had a look at the 1901 census for the family at that time they were living at 160 Commercial Road which I think was a public house as the transcript shows Josephs as a publican and working at home, it does not name the Hotel.A look at the 1911 census for Reading Street Kirkdale show all the houses number eg 2, 2a 2b etc nothing that really stands out as a pub, however there was also a Reading Street in the Netherfield ward of Everton.

FAZACKERLEY, Joseph Head Married M 25 1876 Publican
Lpool
FAZACKERLEY, Mary Ann Wife Married F 24 1877
Lpool
FAZACKERLEY, John J Son M 0 (9 MOS) 1901
Lpool
COOKHILL, Ellen Servant Single F 14 1887 Domestic Servant
Lpool
160, Commercial Road, Kirkdale

1911 census still shows 160 commercial road with a publican working at home, maybe the guys with directories could let us know what 160 was classified as ie pub name-would have been owned by a brewery as both census show both as employees.
Lily
BOBHAMO

Hi paul in the thirtys it was the reading hotel
i am looking at 1900 but there are loads of pubs :lol: :lol:
so will get back to you
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Jan

I had a look in the 1911 directory, 160 Commercial Road (corner of Reading Street) James Dougherty Victualler (no pub name)

there were the following pubs in Commercial Road (1911)

1 Boundary Vaults
81 Union Hotel
78 Evelyn Hotel
120 Sandhills Hotel
then 160 as above.

Jan
Old genealogists never die......they just lose their census.
Paul McCabe

WoW....thanks to all of you for the effort & info.

The extended family in USA (Philadelphia) are impressed too & would like to say "Gee Thanks" too. !!

P
lily8

A pleasure Paul the 'Genies' are a good team, should you require any further help or assistance just let us know.
Lily
Thommos sister

1894 Directory it was a Wine & Spirit Vaults
William H Moore prop.

T.S
lily8

I had a look for a pic of the Reading Hotel as found by Bob and found one in Geds great site(for anyone who hasn't viewed it I can honestly say he has done a wonderful job in recording a wealth of Liverpool and Bootle history in pics) I have no idea if it is the right one but thought you might like it.

http://inacityliving.piczo.com/?g=44843738&cr=7
Lily
Litherland Digital

Litherland born with Bootle maternal grandparents.
Litherland Digital

Litherland Digital

Litherland Digital

lily8

Cheers Ronnie :P I looked at a google map of the area as it is today and wonder do you think that it is the right hotel in Geds Pic????
Lily
Litherland Digital

Hi Lily,

I do think it's the right pub - If you look at the pic of the pub, note the break in the building line next to the pub on the block between Reading and Elston Streets - This gap is shown on the map.

On the photo; on the other corner of Commercial Road and Reading Street it shows four properties and then a street - This must be the unnamed Swindon Street, which I've marked on the map.

The photo caption says the pub is on the corner of 'Swindon Street', but from the maps and directories, it's 'Reading Street'.

Cheers,
Ronnie.
lily8

Thanks Ronnie it was the swindon street that threw me too :shock: but I see it now really pleased we got a result for our poster :P
Lily
Paul McCabe

.........Well, what can I say.....

Words like "gobsmacked" & phrases like; "well I'll go to the foot of our stairs" et al, don't even come close.

Thanks again ......are you guys ever beaten...?? (joke).

(Wait until the Yanks get hold of this).

Cheers

P
Paul McCabe

.........Well, what can I say.....

Words like "gobsmacked" & phrases like; "well I'll go to the foot of our stairs" et al, don't even come close.

Thanks again ......are you guys ever beaten...?? (joke).

(Wait until the Yanks get hold of this).

Cheers

P
Paul McCabe

....May I be cheeky & ask if you guys could expand that map you posted ?.

Both parents lived in Lamb Street before they married each other.

Lamb Street was not far from The Reading pub, heading towards the city.

My mother was Mary Rose Roberts........& my father was Peter McCabe.

She was born 1920, & he was born 1910.

Thanks (again).

P
BOBHAMO

bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Thommos sister

Great map Bob and very interesting.

T.S :)
lily8

Well done Bob :P

Paul I looked up lamb street circa 1910ish and found this family which are obviously yours, this would mean Mary Ann and children were in the UK at the 1911 census date must have emigrated after :P

MCCABE, Patrick Head Married M 54 1857 Ships Fireman Wexford Ireland
MCCABE, Margaret Wife Married
36 years F 50 1861 Wexford Ireland
FAZAKERLEY, John Joseph Grandson M 10 1901 School Lanc Liverpool
FAZAKERLEY, Mary Ann Visitor Married
11 years F 34 1877 Lanc Liverpool
FAZAKERLEY, Edward Visitor M 1 1910 Lanc Widnes
MCGRATH, William Boarder Single M 21 1890 Labourer Dock Lanc Liverpool
KINIAGE, James Boarder Single M 65 1846 Labourer Dock Ballymore C/o Kildare Ireland
CARNEY, Peter Boarder Married M 34 1877 Labourer Dock Lanc Liverpool
21 Lamb Street Kirkdale Liverpool
Lily
lily8

It looks like Mary Ann Fazackerley aged 35 and son Edward aged 1 year and six months of 21 Lamb Street Liverpool travelled on the SS Haverford on the 12th July 1911 final destination Philadelphia going to Joseph Fazackerley. Should you want details please send a pm. It would seem young John may have stayed in Liverpool? there are some records relating to that name as a merchant seaman with lots of passages to North America.
Lily
Paul McCabe

Thank you all so much for your information.

I never expected such detail, I now feel I know these people like I never did before.

I'll wander around Reading Street & where Lamb St was over the weekend like a lost soul.

I'm delighted to discover my Great Grandfather Patrick & my G'Grandmother Margaret, who married in June 1875, were from Wexford.

I knew we were of Irish descent but not from where. (Thanks again).

I know Patrick's father was called Peter McCabe too, but no dates.

Anyway, I'm in touch with Mary Ann's grand-daughter in USA (also named Mary Ann). She was born in 1942.

She is the daughter of Francis Fazakerley who was born in 1916 in USA.

She has give me more of the 'Big picture'

(Note the 'C' fell out of Fazackerley somewhere in USA.)

At this point I suggest everyone either switches to another topic or makes a mug of strong coffee......!!!!!!

.....This space intentionally blank......(?)

If you're still reading this...........don't blame me.......but it fascinates me.

It is no family secret that John Fazackerley (b 1901) was left behind here in Liverpool to be looked after by his Grandparents (Patrick & Margaret).

Times must have so tough to have to make such an agonising decision.

Mary Ann had many still births...........she had a total of (17),,,yes seventeen pregnancies in her life.

So Mary Ann & Joe left just after Johnny's birth to Corktown in Philadelphia.

She had a daughter in USA, Margaret Mary, who tragically died when her nightdress caught on the open fire in the home.

Then Edward arrived........I notice he was born in Widnes, Lancs in the 1911 census.

Therefore Mary Ann must have returned back to UK (without Joe) to give birth.

She returned in 1911 with Edward,as mentioned,whilst Johnny stayed here with his grandparents in LP.

Mary Ann then had another daughter, Marie.

Then in 1916 she had Francis (see above), Francis always told his family he was the 15th (yes, Fifteenth) pregnancy in his family.

Then on pregnancy No 17..........Joseph arrived.

All survived OK.

Incredibly, Mary Ann arrives back in UK to start Francis in school (must be approx 1921)..........but not only that.....she brings Edward, Marie, & young Joe too.

Joe (senior) remains in USA.

She then returns with all the kids back to Joe again to USA, (date unknown).

Johnny (b 1901) finally settled in Philadelphia, although for a long time he didn't know on which side of the Atlantic he belonged.

Johnny went into business with his brother Francis. Johnny never married.

I remember him when I was a small kid in the 50's & early 60's, he was always visiting Liverpool.

He was kind & softly spoken & taught me all the denominations of American money.....I took dimes & cents to school.!!

Mary Ann died approx 1952 & is buried with her husband Joe in Holy Cross cemetery, Darby, Philadelphia.

So...if I see a storyline like this in the next series of 'Cadfael'...I'll sue..!!

Thanks again to all who contributed....sorry if this reply dragged a tad.
glossybonce

Good Post, and interesting. :P
Time is precious.....Waste it wisely.
lily8

Hi I found the family in the 1920 census US transcribed as Fazabelly :lol:
Also found a record of Mary 47, Edward 13, Mary 9, Francis 7 and Joseph aged 2 leaving Liverpool 3/11/1923 on the ship 'Cedric' they had been staying with Mum and Grandma at 21 Lamb Street Liverpool.
Lily
dorothy834

Paul....That must of been one heck of a struggle to travel on

ships in 1902ish...a long time at sea and not exactley cruise ships

she must of been one strong lady...

Dorothy.
dorothy834
lily8

Just wondering if this could be your McCabe family circa 1890 and living in Widnes which may be why 1 of Mary Anns children was born there??

MCCABE, Pat Head Married M 39 1852 Alkali Labourer
Ireland
MCCABE, Margaret Wife Married F 38 1853
Ireland
MCGRATH, Ann Mother In Law Widow F 64 1827
Ireland
MCCABE, Mary Ana Daughter F 15 1876
Widnes
MCCABE, John Son M 13 1878
Widnes
MCCABE, Peter Son M 11 1880 Scholar
Widnes
MCCABE, Wm Son M 6 1885 Scholar
Widnes
KELLY, John Boarder Single M 29 1862 Alkali Labourer
Ireland
KELLY, Michael Boarder Single M 28 1863 Alkali Labourer
Ireland
GILL, Michael Boarder Single M 24 1867 Alkali Labourer
Ireland
GILL, John Boarder Single M 21 1870 Alkali Labourer
Ireland
31, Wellington Street, Widnes
Lily
lily8

Further:

A look at Freebmd's shows this record

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages Jun 1875 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boult Robert Hudson W.Derby 8b 866
JONES Jane Broadhurst W. Derby 8b 866
McCabe Patrick W. Derby 8b 866
McGrath Margaret W.Derby 8b 866

The information in previous post shows mother in law Ann McGrath living with Patrick and Margaret, and though the ages appear out of whack(which is not at all unusual) it may be the right family - fingers crossed maybe we have found another generation?
Lily
lily8

From freecen 1881: Maybe the move to Widnes was something to do with Patricks Job as he is an Alkali worker then a chemical worker?

MC CABE, Patrick Head Married M 29 1852 Chemical Yard Labourer
Ireland
MC CABE, Margaret Wife Married F 28 1853
Ireland
MC CABE, Mary Anne Daughter Single F 4 1877
Old Swan
MC CABE, John Son Single M 3 1878
Lpool
MC CABE, Peter Son Single M 0 1881
Lpool
9, (Hopwood St), Nightingale Sq, Liverpool

You mentioned a Peter McCabe born circa 1910 who was his dad John or Peter perhaps?
Lily
Paul McCabe

Lily………You are ‘bang on the money’…….. Bullseye.

(Now is a good time to make a mug of strong coffee);

I knew my G’Grandmother (Margaret) had a maiden name of McGrath.

I’d discreetly noticed in your post (Aug 31st) that of the occupants at Lamb St in 1910, there was a boarder named William McGrath (aged 20yrs) living there.

Perhaps her brother, or maybe a cousin (?).

However, when you powers of deduction switched to Widnes (Sept 1 post) & the census of 1890……..’Bingo.’

That’s them. I’m amazed (again).

Moreover, their dates of birth given in 1890 would appear to be more accurate than the birth dates given in 1910.

Patrick’s birth as 1852 would make him 23yrs old when he married in 1875 (or age 18yrs if you accept the 1910 date given),

Margaret’s birth as 1853 would have made her 22yrs old at the wedding, (or aged 14yrs if you accept the 1910 date), unlikely.

I had a look on google, & Wellington Street in Widnes is still there, as is Hopwood Street (just off Stanley Rd, near Rotunda).

More places for me to visit for my odyssey. (Thanks again).

However, the absolute “Cherry on the tart” has to be the unearthing of the “FUZABELLY” family sailing on the ‘Cedric’ to the USA on 3/11/1923. (!!$$££%%??).

I’m pretty certain that even the entire team on the BBC’s series “Who do you think you are” would not be able to dig up such a Nugget.

You make ‘Columbo’ look like a poor parody of ‘Commissioner Clouseau’ …please take that as a compliment & not sarcasm.

I researched Widnes circa 1890 (via the power of the internet), & discovered that the first Goods train crossed the river there in 1889, then in 1890 all the local Alkali firms (approx ten of them) amalgamated to become ‘The United Alkali Company’…..(later to become the giant ICI industries.)

So it is no surprise that Patrick sought work there.

I can’t imagine that 31 Wellington Street in Widnes would have been very large or luxurious in 1890.

Patrick, then aged 38yrs old, was living there with his wife Margaret, Mary Ann aged 15yrs, his (3) sons aged 13, 11,& 6yrs old,& his Mother-in-law (aged 63yrs), PLUS (4) young male lodgers, who were all also Alkali workers. !

I was born exactly 100 years after Patrick, in 1952, (the same year that Mary Ann died), things were a tad different for me when I was 38yrs old. (!!££%%??).

My grandfather was Patrick’s son Peter Paul McCabe born in 1880.

My father was Peter McCabe, born in 1910.

I know that Patrick’s father was also called Peter McCabe, but have no dates.

I now need to plan a visit to Wexford too & ask around !!??.

Finally, (“at last” I hear you scream ?),

I enclose a final anecdote about Mary Ann (my heroine), this is from an email off Mary Ann’s granddaughter in USA, (also called Mary Ann, named in her honour). I would suggest the event mentioned below occurred some time in the late 1930’s

For my money, Mary Ann & Joe make Liz Taylor & Richard Burton look like very small beer indeed.

Thus; RIP Mary Ann & Joe.

Thanks again to everyone (especially Lily) who helped me ‘find’ her.

Cheers

P

---------

My grandmother, Mary Ann McCabe / Fazakerley was a very strong women.

She and Joe had difficult lives and yet they stuck together and got together even crossing the ocean.

Once, Joseph and Mary Ann got separated because Joe had a disagreement with their son Edward.

Edward asked his father to leave his house on 239 W. Rosemar Street. So my dad, (Frank) and my mom, (Adele) took them into our home at 104 South 33rd Street.

Within in a day, grandmom arrived in a cab from Edward's house and said, "Where Joseph goes....I go !”

So both my grandmom and grandpop moved into our house. Frank, (my dad) and his brother John provided for them.

I know she loved me and I was very close to her. I remember crying because she told my dad that I had done something to hurt her and I would never have done anything to hurt her.
I realized as I got older, she was beginning dementia. She was beginning to wander around the neighbourhood.
It broke our family's heart to have to put grandmom in a private home for the elderly around the corner from us for her protection. It must have broken her heart too, because after several days there, she fell and broke her hip and died of pneumonia. Being the oldest in my family, I remember much more than the rest of the family.

=====
BOBHAMO

Great family memories paul so glad the genies :lol: :lol:
have done us proud thats why its the best site around :lol: :lol:
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
lily8

Hi Paul happy to have helped our 'genies' here all do a great job and it is great to hear your stories of the family and of your love for Mary Ann. I hope this will give you something to smile about if it is your rellie and I hope I have found the right Peter McCabe, this is from the National Archives UK BT 350 series: It says this chap was a greaser rather than a stoker though?? If it is not him nothing lost eh?

Last edited by lily8 on Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lily
lily8

A possible for the McGrath family 1871:

MCGRATH, William Head M 44 1827 Ireland (Agricultural Labourer)
MCGRATH, Ann Wife F 42 1829 Ireland
MCGRATH, Margaret Daughter F 11 1860 Ireland
MCGRATH, May E Sister F 41 1830 Ireland
MCGRATH, William F Son M 10 1861 Ireland
MCGRATH, Ann Daughter F 7 1864 Ireland
SCULFIELD, Mary Lodger F 41 1830 Lancashire
SCULFIELD, Henry Lodger M 18 1853 Lancashire
HICKERY, Sarah T* Lodger F 41 1830 Lancashire
Rock Mount, South, West Derby
Lily
Thommos sister

Bouquet to you Lily for such interesting findings.
Enjoyed reading it all.
Well done mate!!

T.S
lily8

Thanks mate, you know me any mention of a sailor and I am there :shock: no honestly have a real soft spot for all mariners being a royal navy daughter :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lily