Broadway stores

Find Bootle friends and family here
Jim Elliott,

Hi folks, I'm thrilled to bits to see the "Broadway stores" has been recognised and remembered. I was born there and my mother died when I was 6 months old. My father had to previously bury my sister who died I think as a cot death. My father who ran the business single handed looked after me with the lovely alsation dog called "Pal" who guarded me whist dad did the shopping in Islington for the shop. Nora Mckeowan came to the rescue and married my dad. Nora who still works in the shop with my sister Sylvia and my two brothers still run the business. I left when I got married and had my own family. My brothers Eric and Gilbert (Gilly) are 5 and 7 years younger than me, than my dad and Nora after many years had two more children Maurice and Sylvia. We all went to Linacre School. My stepmother is 93 years old and has been very lucky with her health up to the last few years, but she still soldiers on. I think the broadway stores is the only surviving shop of those years that hasn't changed handsand it goes back to 1928 I think.The chip shop belonged to Mr and Mrs Gibbs who had two girls Beryl and June. Beryl is still with us june passed away. the next block was May Logans mothers chip shop. May was a reporter with the Bootle Times and she organised all the lovely May days we used to have. I was 7 when war broke out , I remember dad taking us all to top floor of our building and we saw the "match works" in flames it had had a direct hit by bombs. Our shelter was what dad had built under the stairs and he used to play the mouth organ to us. Lots of people had shelters built in their back yards, I used to wish we had one. I hope I've answered some of questions of Frank and Ron. Margaret Willee's brother Billy was "best man" when I married Jim and we've always remained friends, it's a shame Billy's so far away in Denmark. Hello Bill if you read this June Elliott.
BOBHAMO

m
Last edited by BOBHAMO on Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frank delamere

"THANK YOU" JUNE. it was i, who went to school with eric, linacre that is, he would be 70/71 this year. i did enquire, if he was still alive? if so, would you ask him sometime, if his memory, remembers me! i do of course, remember you, and another brother. best wishes on the site
frank delamere
Patricia Simpson

Welcome to the site, June. Happy memories of days gone by of walking from Watts Lane with mum to get last minute stocking fillers (11pm or later) for the younger ones although I was only about 13 myself. Each year I received my maternity grant of £16, I would buy my mum a little gift from the Broadway. One bought in 1966 was a pair of plaques predicting an African woman's head in all her finery, painted necklaces up to her chin and bird-nest hair and one that suvived is still in a drawer in the house, I think they were made of chalk. Pat
margaret willee

June yes he does read the forum but not a member will tell him to go in and read it today ... went to the shop talked to your sister and bought some things for the grankids who would have thought i would one day buy things for them ... margaret ...
have a great day .......
annie

hi june and welcome. i was in the shop a few months ago and was flabbergasted to see the same lady serving who used to serve me some 50 years ago with my diamante dangly earings