Drs. John Wood and Bathurst and other shops on Aintree Rd

Find Bootle friends and family here

Drs. Buckley,Bathurst & Wood.

Postby bluephil54 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:36 am

I remember the Doctors being there on the corner of Aintree Road & Hawthorne.......and Manweb was on the opposite corner. The Doctors also had a Surgery on the corner of Poulsom Drive and Randall Drive in Netherton. I should remember Dr Bathurst as he was called out at about 2am on 22nd September 1954,to flat number 8 St Christophers Avenue,Ford,by my Dad...........to help my mum give birth to me ! I always remember my Dad telling me that he had to walk up to the Cabbage Inn Pub to look out for the Doctor in his car to guide him down to our flat as the roads had not been completely finished at that time amongst the new buildings. The Surgery in Poulsom Drive was just turned back into a normal house many years ago but is still there. Happy Days eh folks ?
Born St.Christophers Ave,Ford,then St Aidans Way Netherton/Netherton Moss Primary/Bootle Grammar School 1965
bluephil54

Postby alan yates » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:46 pm

graham wrote:Leicester Rd ran only from Fernhill rd to worcester rd Don;t think it went as far as Gloucester Rd

Hi graham, yes I stand corrected its been such a long time since I have been back to my roots.
Alan
alan yates

2 Aintree Road

Postby nzken » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:37 pm

I visited Aintree Road recently in search of information on a relative whose address was given as 2 Aintree Road at the time of her death in 1966. The death certificate gives her occupation as Doctor's receptionist and I was surprised to see that 2 Aintree Road is a doctor's surgery. The librarian at Bootle library told me the doctors in the 60's were Bathurst, Buckley and Wood.

Does anyone rememeber my relative - Yude Columbus - a dark skinned woman who died aged 46 in 1966. Yude's mother Lillian Columbus also gave her address as 2 Aintree Road, so it seems they must have both lived above the surgery.
Ken from down under
nzken

Postby lily8 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:48 am

Hi and welcome Nzken sorry I cant help with recent history but if you want to trace further back just post and the "Genies" on site will do their best to help. Good luck in your search.
Lily
lily8

Postby Eddy Lloyd » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:25 am

Welcome to the site Ken. Our sleuths will be working on it for you. :wink:
Eddy Lloyd

Postby nzken » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:59 am

Thanks for the welcome. I didn't mention that Lillian Columbus was a member of the Carrigan family who married Hiyime Columbus (American) in Liverpool in 1917.
Ken from down under
nzken

Postby paton » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:38 am

Hi nzken, welcome to the site, i lived on the corner of aintree rd and gloucester rd. 2 aintree rd was always a doctors, and those were the doctors names. I can well remember Yude and her mother, both really nice people, and they did live over the surgery.
Funny enough we were not registered at that surgery, but still knew both of them quite well.

Rodney.
Rodney
Born in Gloucester Road,
paton

Postby PETER CRAIG » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:34 pm

Last edited by PETER CRAIG on Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PETER CRAIG

Postby arthur » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:55 pm

Last time i visited,Woods,Buckly,Bathhurst,office was in the 50s.
Just wonder if thay still have Medical records,from back then.

Arthur.
arthur

Postby nzken » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:49 pm

Hi Rodney,

great to hear you were a close neighbour and friend of Yude and Lillian. I will be returning to Australia after next week and would like to pick your brains before I go. Any chance of meeting?
Ken from down under
nzken

Postby paton » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:09 pm

Hi Ken, will send you a P. M.
Rodney
Rodney
Born in Gloucester Road,
paton

Postby billygooner » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:09 pm

hi gang dr bathurst was my doctor he was an ex army doc .i went to see him because my feet sweat and he said he coudent sleep in the same room as his socks either. regards billy. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
billygooner

Postby nzken » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:18 pm

I seem to have a problem using personal messaging. I am trying to reply to a PM from Rodney and the repy just sits in the outbox. I expected the reply to be in the sent box. What am I doing wrong?
Ken from down under
nzken

Postby RYTER2 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:27 pm

Ken,

The message will remain in your Outbox until it is actually read by Rodney and then it will appear in your Sentbox.

Bill (Ryter)
RYTER2

Dr Bathurst

Postby don4degs » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:40 pm

My Dr was Dr Bathhurst... I can remember the surgery being very gloomy looking.... and the 3 big lights that lit up to say what room you went in....

the little pokey reception with all the files behind them.....

He used to scare the living daylights out of me..

Now Dr Sinha is there
I lived in Hawthorne Rd, Kirkby Road, Litherland, Stewart Ave...... now Aintree
don4degs

Postby nzken » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:05 pm

I followed up a lead from this site (thanks Rodney) and found a funeral notice for Miss Yude Ross in the Bootle Times at Crosby Library. Yude died in 1966 aged 46) when she was rceptionist to Doctors Wood, Buckley, Bathurst ad Chant for over 20 years.

Does anyone else remember Yude Ross? She lived with her mother lilian overr the surgery.

Does anyone know when the Surgery was built and who owned the building?
Ken from down under
nzken

Re: Drs. John Wood and Bathurst and other shops on Aintree R

Postby Walsh » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:45 am

I lived behind the cobbler's shop in Waterworks Street then Little Brookhill Road and went to Hawthorne Road primary school.
Fortunately, I didn't need to attend the doctors often but found it a fascinating and strange experience, as a 5-7 year old kid in the late 50s.
My Da called the doctors 'the three stoogies'. Ma told me that our doctor, Bathurst, had known me since just after my birth in Walton Ozzy.
In the surgery, one of 3 coloured spherical lights in a line and a buzzer would signal that the appropriate doctor was free to see you.
The receptionist would look on to check progress and ensure that you headed in the right direction to the doctor's surgery.
I would take a comic to read but get bored then look at the exotic places in the National Geographic magazines on the table.
On the waiting room walls were several posters; one warned of post-natal depression.
I foolishly recall asking my Ma would I catch that; she told me No, 'just read your comic, will you?'
Happy days as there was usually someone you knew in the waiting room.
Walsh

Postby Invicta » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:52 am

Dr Wood had an odd name Dr J Spuray Wood if I recall. The also had a surgery in Ford. :D K
Invicta

Postby awelfryn34 » Fri May 11, 2018 5:11 pm

3rd Doctor was Bathurst
awelfryn34

Re: Drs. John Wood and Bathurst and other shops

Postby Jackie booey » Wed May 23, 2018 6:57 am

Aintree road carnival i lived in corner of aintree road fernhill road i remember little off licence adjoining to aintree pub and spectrum night club betty and tommy had chippy my mum worked in appeltons with mary taafe and pat Vaughan my mum was ann and my dad john o'connor my dad worked merry backer van then white arrow mymum later worked at housing linacre lane
Jackie booey

Postby pamelajayne » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:05 pm

Dr Bathurst was my Dad - sadly passed away 1989.
pamelajayne

Postby filsgreen » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:22 pm

Sorry to hear that Pamela, he saw me many times when I was a kid, stupid croup and bronchitis. Welcome to the forum, anyway. :D
filsgreen

Postby pamelajayne » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:29 am

Thank you! He had the best sense of humour! Drs Wood, Buckley and Bathurst - as he was the third doctor to join the practice, he was known as Harry Lime from "The Third Man". John Wood and Harold Buckley both retired and Dad hired other physicians mainly from India. Apparently patients requesting Dad would go to the Receptionist and ask to see the "Jewel in the Crown".
pamelajayne

Previous

Return to Looking for Long Lost Bootle Family + Friends ?