Photos for Marielou

Join in here with our very own Bootle Chatterbox...
dorothy834

Hi Bee..if you type in utube "how to grow /or look after orchids" lots of tips
and vids I keep mine on the dry side ..no sun lots of light... water when pot
is light in weight with tepid water like me they don't like cold toes :D :D
They are no trouble not messy and blooms last for ages ...good luck ..
Dorothy.
dorothy834
Silver-Haired-Hippy

Bee got in before me, I was thinking the same thing, it used to so chatty with all you ladies, where are you all? I really enjoyed reading what you all got up to, didn't post on it very often but always read it. ok, I have a plant in a pot in the garden, it is the prickly kind and grows to about 25 feet and only flowers every 25 years :roll: it has outgrown its pot and looking rather sorry for itself and rather waterlogged since we got back from Goa, when should I repot it? (and in the garden) don't forget, this is the UK and March! Snow supposed to be here for Easter! This history of this plant is that a neighbour had it as a baby in a pot on the piano, obviously grew over the years :D so decided to plant it outside, that was many years ago!! When it gets to full height and flowers it dies, thankfully she got cuttings and I got one! Advise from the gardeners needed! Oh, by the way, a couple of years ago I did put the photo of my neighbour's plant fully grown on BT but now deleted by Photo whatsit!!! :lol:

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
bjones

Thanks for the tips Dorothy, I've cut it back to the last leaf bud/notch thingy but think I might have left it a bit late as that stem looks very dry. The leaves are still lush so not giving up on it yet .. will continue to care for it as you do yours.
Loretta can you post a pic of your plant, I'm sure someone will be able to identity it and then you can google for care advice.
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
Silver-Haired-Hippy

Not a chance of posting a pic Bee! Took me forever on Photobucket and have followed Mack's instructions with other sites and still cant do it! :x Will keep trying, I don't give up easily!! :lol: Think I may just bung it in a bigger pot when and if the weather bucks up!!!

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
Thommos sister

Hi Loretta, yes I'm another culprit who can't post pics anymore because of Photobucket and Mac's tinypics does me head in. I think that's why this forum is very quiet now plus a lot use F.B, easy to just tick the like box. T.S :D
Bill fawcett

I've just posted a photo using postimage and it couldn't be easier.

Type in your message and then underneath it says "add image to post".Click on this and then choose your photo, then at the top click on "Done" and that's it.

Best of luck

Bill
Silver-Haired-Hippy

Will have a go Bill, thank you :D

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
dorothy834

Still waiting Loretta :D :D
Nip out now with your camera :D :)

Is the plant still 25ft or does it die down to the
Soil level and sprout again? It's a wonder it's
Kept going all this time in a pot without new soil
Is the stem green or is it like a shrub woody texture....
Curious from the Wirral .... :) :)
dorothy834
Silver-Haired-Hippy

Hi Doris, sorry Dorothy!!! :lol: The original plant belonging to my neighbour started to die after flowering so it was chopped down, it had lots of babies at the base and I got one, they planted the biggest one back into the ground and is growing, slowly I may add as it takes 25 years to get tall! Their first one started in a little pot on the piano and over a few years and getting too heavy for the piano, ended up in a hole in the front garden. They have lived here a long time. Anyway, mine is about three years old and run out of pots so hence the ground. It just looks like a low growing cacti (cactus?) with green fleshy spiny leaves until about 15 years old and then grows a stem, I am hoping the kids or grandkids will see it in flower as I very much doubt I will!! Sorry, no pic as yet, been a bit under the weather since coming back from Goa, left a boiling hot country for a cold, wet and damp one, say no more!!

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
bjones

Thanks for that advice Bill. Think I'll have a go at it tomorrow. Still haven't uploaded any pics to this (my new) laptop so will charge up the old one and have a go.
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
dorothy834

Ah. .Loretta sorry your not to well hope you pick up soon
Not to grand myself I've had everything going since Christmas
Hope I've now turned the corner ...need a lot of sun I think...
If you serch for "cactus"then go into images at top of page
you might just recodnise it...then let us know what it's like
Get better soon
Doris oops Dorothy. :D
dorothy834
lily8

Well done Bill with the advice, Loretta it really is easy peasy.
Lily
bjones

Ok here goes; we Milo-minded while the kids went off skiing last half term. Nothing like a 2 year old labrador to make you realise you're getting old - Milo on the beach; that's Hilbre in the background

Bee

bjones

Woo Hoo it worked!!!! Thanks Bill :D
Bee

Silver-Haired-Hippy

Going to try soon when I feel a bit more "with it"! Good for you Bee! Great photo, love your doggie! Nice to see this thread is picking up again, thought it was going to end up with "Me and Mrs. Jones" :shock: :lol: :lol:

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
Silver-Haired-Hippy

I am trying! but a bit on the big side! :lol: This is the original pic of my neighbours plant, if I get to make a smaller pic I will put mine on!

A bit of Bootle in Wales
dorothy834

Loretta that photo is brilliant not to big at all
Will now have a look through the cactus pics
To see what is same or similar
Thank you for putting it on ...
Dorothy
dorothy834
Silver-Haired-Hippy

Dorothy, that's not the full size and it looks different when higher! the bottom part is a bigger version of mine, it stays like that for years. If I manage to sort out how to make it smaller (some kind soul will take pity on me!) I will post the full size plant in flower. Plus mine! :D

Loretta

ps Forgot to thank Mack for instructions and Bill for his help as well, yes, Lily, quite easy when the penny drops!! :oops: :lol:
A bit of Bootle in Wales
dorothy834

Hi..I looked in British cacti and succulent socity lots of tall plants
But up to now none with big leaves it looks like an aloe vera variety
We will get there i'm sure.....back soon...D
dorothy834
bjones

I think it's a yukka. Had one for years that grew to about 6 feet but only ever flowered once. I killed it when I moved it from the front to the back garden :(
Bee

Silver-Haired-Hippy

From what we gathered, it is a South American plant, there was a article in the Daily Mail a couple of years ago, maybe a bit longer, about somebody who had this plant in their garden down the South of England, they thought it was very rare, seems other people said they had one as well, so not so rare to this country, obviously the paper gave all the info on the plant but I cant remember what it said! :oops: Don't think it is a yukka Bee, that name I would remember, will get around to putting the photo on of when it is fully grown.

Loretta

Ricky and Mr. Google got together and it is called - Agave!
A bit of Bootle in Wales
scotty

This is what it looked like in full bloom, although this is not the actual plant.
https://pixabay.com/en/agave-plant-flow ... loom-9334/
All gave some
Some gave all
bjones

Well done Rick (and Mr Google). Flowers completely different to Yukka.
The Agave looks like a giant version of the Phormium I put in the front garden at my last house.... that only flowered once in the 7 years I had it.

Bee

Matt

Hi all you gardeners,now if that plant had been a blue agave you could have distilled some very good tequila from it :lol:
Where we usually go in Mexico Puerto Vallarta(Jalisco State) and Nuevo Vallarta(Nayarit State) are the growing centres for the blue agave
and the best and REAL tequila in the whole of the country and every village has it's own tequila maker and Loretta you were kind of correct because the agave is a relative
of the Yucca plant.Only reason I know about it is because Sheila and I visited a village called San Sebastian which is a UNESCO site in Jalisco and I bought some very good
coffee flavoured tequila from the distiller(1 man operation) and can only be purchased in Mexico at San Sebastian.
Matt
dorothy834

Well done Scotty and Mr Google....
Problem solved...

Dorothy
dorothy834
Silver-Haired-Hippy

Thanks for the info Matt! Have to say credit goes to Bee about the Yukka not me, I didn't think it was related. :roll: Interesting to read all about it. Hope you and Sheila are well.

Pity your plant is no more Bee, looks very nice and very alike.

So now you know Dorothy! will put a wee photo on of my baby and a follow up one in about twenty two years!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
Matt

Hi Loretta and Rick,Sheila is very well thank you.VERY busy in the garden.The seasons are all out of sync :)
We have a rhododendron in full bloom and all the other ones are just getting their flower buds.All our wild flowers are in full bloom
and even some Welsh Poppies have buds on them.Tulips are long gone(bl***y deer ate all of them :evil: )
Wall to wall hummingbirds at the moment and that keeps me busy feeding them as I have so many nectar feeders out(6) and am using at least 1 cup of sugar every day
making the feed but if I do not fill the feeders first thing in the morning I am greeted by a flock of very angry little birds that meet me at the front door.
Would love to put some photo's on the forum but Postimage STILL will not let me log in and one day tells me I have the incorrect email address and next day
the wrong password but they sent the new password to my correct email address and then told me I have the wrong email address the next day :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Big hug to my mate Rick.
Matt
filsgreen

It's very simple to post images, Matt. On the picture you see below of the text box you can see 'add image to post'. Click on that and a new box pops up asking you to choose an image to use. Pick the photo you want and it automatically uploads to your post.

Matt

Thanks Fil. As you said just could not be easier.Feel quite stupid now :oops: :oops:

Kalika and Chad on the Official engagement photos. How do you make them larger?
Matt
Matt

Orchid Gardens in Singapore
Matt
filsgreen

I don't know, Matt, but Keith will be along shortly to work his magic. :D
Bill fawcett

Matt, just click on the photo.

Bill
Matt

Thanks Bill.Got that bit but how does Bernie make his photos come up so large all the time?
Puzzled on Vancouver Island Matt
Silver-Haired-Hippy

Did you notice the size of mine of the plant Matt? :shock: I want to do smaller ones!!! :lol: :lol:

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
Matt

Our youngest daughter Linda,Kalika and James's mother, is getting re married in July so our family is growing We get a new son in law in July
and a grandson in law in November.Nothing about our grandson James yet guess we will have to let him graduate
from high school first in June :)
Sheila and Matt