test

Join in here with our very own Bootle Chatterbox...
lily8

Lily
lily8

Last edited by lily8 on Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lily
lily8

what aren't i doing Mack?
Lily
filsgreen

Morning Lily, if you want to put a YouTube video on the forum.

Click on share

Then click on copy.

Paste the video link into your post.
lily8

thanks Phil the one i tried was british pathe no share to our facility will have a go with youtube
Lily
Bonesy

Lily, on the link you posted, just copy the title of the video, in this case
Child Evacuees In Australia On Sleeve As Child Evacueesinand then paste on the
you tube search facility. click share and then "copy link" and paste it on here.
You end up with the video below.

Keith
Patricia

Would truly like to know which is the Truth or is it a "Bit of Both?"
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-27/ ... ns/8060936
lily8

Patricia two very different subjects, mine on evacuation (paid for by British parents ,to send their children to Australia for the duration of the war to family or friends or paid hosts) your story is of a much darker and shameful nature. The British government finally made apologies to those still alive and offered them assistance to get back to the UK and maybe find their families sadly many years too late. A wealth of information can be found on the Child Migrant trust website and also a poignant film called oranges and sunshine and in Margaret Humphreys harrowing books.
Lily
lily8

by george i think i have it thanks guys
Lily
lily8

Patricia you may find these interesting

Lily
Patricia

Lily - Many thanks for putting that video on. It is of interest to me because I and my older brother were evacuated
to Wales, a place called Radnorshire.
Here is a brief description of what I recall (so much more but would take too long):
It was a confusing and terrifying journey that I remember at the age of four!
First, we were put on a bus, taken to the train station and on arrival in Wales put in groups in station wagons and driven
around to various farms where the owners would come out and point to whom they would take in. My parents had
apparently given strict instructions that we were not to be separated and at one farm the lady pointed to me and
another girl and was most upset when the driver explained that my brother and I had to go together. She agreed
in the end and we were taken in by her and her brother who managed the Farm. Breakfast was a large glass of
milk with a mark halfway down on it to which I could drink and then pass same on to my brother and a boiled
egg cut in half.
My parents had the presence of mind to give my brother several stamped, addressed, postcards.
He had not too long learnt how to print and after several weeks wrote my parents (so I have been told) "Pat is crying
and wants to come home!" He met the postman on the country road and gave him the postcard.
A couple of days later my Dad arrived and stated that I clung to his leg and wouldn't let go and he insisted that
he was taking us both home. As my Mum stated: "If we are going to go we will go together!"
I remember writing something similar to this at a College course I was taking in English and the Teacher was in
disbelief that I could remember things so clearly but same are imbedded in my memory as clear as a bell to
this day!!