1966 World Cup Final, Where Did You Watch It ?

Join in here with our very own Bootle Chatterbox...
Bonesy

Looking forward to the final today . Got me thinking where I was the last time England played in a final.
Weeks earlier Liverpool had won the First Division title and Everton the FA Cup Final.
I was so looking forward to the Charity Shield in August but there was another cup final to watch.
Man had not yet landed on the moon, Sergeant Pepper had yet to be released, steam trains were still the norm, it was that long ago.

I was just 12 years old and had not long broken up from school for the summer holidays.
We had set off for a camping holiday to Cornwall the previous Saturday in my Dads first ever car, a Hillman Minx.
It took 18 hours to reach our camp site in Mevagissy.
On the day of the final, dad found a pub, the Ship Inn, in Parr that had a beer garden with a huge tele. I was so excited.
All the kids huddled around the tele eating crisps and drinking lemonade given to us free by the pub manager.
The 30th July 1966, is a day I will never forget.
Let's hope that kids of today will have lasting memories of today's final.

Come on England.
bjones

Keithos, quite apart from the footy..... mention of the pub in Par brings back lovely memories for me too; thank you.
For the two years prior to your trip I shared great holidays with my school pal's family in a caravan across from the beach. Most evenings we'd walk into Par and have crisps and lemo while her parents had a couple of drinks. Such happy days on such a lovely beach.
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
BossHogg

I wasn't born! 😂 I watched the colourised version yesterday with my wife. 😁
Bonesy

bjones wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:05 am Keithos, quite apart from the footy..... mention of the pub in Par brings back lovely memories for me too; thank you.
For the two years prior to your trip I shared great holidays with my school pal's family in a caravan across from the beach. Most evenings we'd walk into Par and have crisps and lemo while her parents had a couple of drinks. Such happy days on such a lovely beach.
Bee, well it just goes to show, what a coincidence.
On one of our trips to Cornwall, Lian and I diverted to Par and went to the pub. Nice little town but very busy and not as I remembered it.

Keith
Bernie R

Always been a source of frustration that I don't remember us winning the World Cup.

I was only 6 at the time but have clear memory of Dad taking me along to see Everton coming home with the FA Cup 2 months earlier; so it's strange that I don't recall the World Cup.

The only memory I have of it all was the song ' Red white and blue... World Cup Willie'.

Bern
Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
philrob

I had only arrived a few months earlier in Australia prior to the 66 Cup Final and the World Cup Final.
My Mum and Dad and brothers and I watched the finals sitting up at midnight.
My Dad and one of my brothers were Everton supporters so they really enjoyed the FA Cup Final.
Philrob

Western Australia
Eddy Lloyd

I was 17 and a trainee produce manager in Victor Values on Stanley Road. The boss got a TV set up for the final for customers I didn't miss a kick one of the girls covering for me. :)