Holiday Abroad or Staycation

Join in here with our very own Bootle Chatterbox...
Bonesy

Curious about people's thoughts on travelling abroad this year.
We have a holiday booked for October to Zante that we are 90% certain we will cancel and just loose the deposit.
We have booked a few Monday to Friday UK breaks for the summer, Autumn and Christmas.
Would love to hear of some recommendations of where to stay in the UK.
One of our "want to do" is a weekend in Wirral. I know it's on our doorstep but other than New Brighton never spent much time there.

So come on folks, where are you going or are you being cautious ?

Keithos.
filsgreen

It's staycation for us this year, Keith. Trearddur bay in June, Southampton in July and Prestatyn in September. We've got the West Coast of America booked for next year.

People have got similar plans this year, apparently there are no caravans available to buy at the moment.
Glenys

A Staycation for us, Lake District in a lodge.
Lived Linacre Lane, Trinity Road & Knowsley Road.
Bernie R

We've still got a 2 week cruise booked in August (postponed from last year) but we're hanging on in the hope they'll cancel so we can get a refund rather than postponing it again if it was left to us.

Either way, we don't fancy it this year.

Bern
Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
IRENE H

Well , we’re booked for November to Lanzarote so hopefully things will be ok and sorted by then , but have booked a couple of days away for the races as well 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Your never fully dressed without a smile
Bonesy

I just don't fancy the rigmarole of testing
when we leave, arrive and when we get back plus the cost involved and the inevitable delays at the airports.
At the moment in Greece you have to request a slot at the supermarket. You get a reply text which you have to show to gain entry.
Really don't fancy that either.

Keith
Joycen60

Friends, who live in Yorkshire, whom I usually meet up with on a cruise ( we have done about 5 at the same time) have booked a few days in Southport- so hopefully will pop up for a few days at the same time.
Lived Olive grove- just in Bootle. Schools Netherton Moss A, Netherton Park and Bootle Girls Grammar
Bonesy

We are off to Cornwall very soon to see our family, who we have not seen for 16 months due to lockdowns.
It's going to be a bit unusual as we are staying in their very own holiday let.
They have converted their double length, double width two storey garage into a holiday let called "Coast House"
I'll send pics when there.
We go to a lovely flat in the Victorian village of Haworth, Yorkshire in July.
Next up is a duplex apartment at Tewitfield Marina near Carnforth.
Christmas visit to Chester, 2 nights staying at the centrally located Travelodge.

Keith
Sheelagh Tequila

Don't know yet Keith, our son has had to postpone his wedding in Italy 'again' for the second time, we might do a TUI cruise later on. We may even visit places we used to got when both my brothers in law were managers for Trust House Forte, 'we'll have to pay this time though :wink: ...Dovedale, Matlock Bath, Keswick, Windermere, and Aldeburgh all 4 star hotels at the time. Great Britain is beautiful, I would be happy to visit any of these again.

Wherever any of you go have a happy and safe time.

Sheelagh :D
Glenys

We are just coming to the end of our four night break, staying in a luxury lodge in Hawkshead,; had some lovely warm, sunny days, and a little rain. Managed to visit again quite a few lovely places - fairly quiet,. Most cafes having put in place areas with cover and heating . Pubs doing take-aways.

Come on folks, spend some money in U.K. - it will keep people employed, even enable businesses to take on new staff; more folk paying tax will enable the country to help others.....etc.etc. OOh got my sensible hat on :roll:
bjones

Come on folks, spend some money in U.K. - it will keep people employed, even enable businesses to take on new staff; more folk paying tax will enable the country to help others.....etc.etc. OOh got my sensible hat on :roll:
Hey Glen, don't be embarrassed about having good sense! Hear hear I say!

We've no plans made yet. Kids are encouraging us to use their Welsh holiday home before they take up residence for the school hols but we'll wait for the weather to improve. We'd still love to take the twice postponed family hol to Ibiza but don't think airports and airplanes are the safest places to be at present. Haven't dismissed the possibility of October half term but we'll wait and see.....
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
Bonesy

Bonesy wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:33 pm We are off to Cornwall very soon to see our family, who we have not seen for 16 months due to lockdowns.
It's going to be a bit unusual as we are staying in their very own holiday let.
They have converted their double length, double width two storey garage into a holiday let called "Coast House"
I'll send pics when there.
We go to a lovely flat in the Victorian village of Haworth, Yorkshire in July.
Next up is a duplex apartment at Tewitfield Marina near Carnforth.
Christmas visit to Chester, 2 nights staying at the centrally located Travelodge.

Keith
We arrived in Cornwall a couple of days ago.
During lockdown, our daugh Laura and son in law Paul have converted their double garage into a holiday let.
We are the first to stay. Feeling very proud of what they have achieved and created.
Coast House is open for business.
Photos as promised.

Keith
Glenys

Wow, that is wonderful, I'm on my way........ 8)
IRENE H

That’s just brilliant Keith and lian. What a lovely job they have done. I’m sure you’re having a great time. And a few drinks as well. Love to you all and enjoy ❤️❤️❤️
Your never fully dressed without a smile
Bernie R

Great job there Keith.

Hope you and Lian enjoy your break.

Bern
Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
miv donelan

Coast house looks a fabulous place to stay Keith, the house and the views are stunning. As a regular visitor to Cornwall I can say it's far superior to other places we've stayed. I would love it there. Have a great holiday, hope the sun shines none stop.
Silver-Haired-Hippy

Fantastic Keith, more than happy to stay there, and what a view! They have done a brilliant job. Have a great holiday and must be lovely to be with your family again! :D

We meet with my son and family over the Bank holiday and then my other son and family the weekend after. Seen them once in 15 months. We have booked a lodge in South Wales for a week end of June, looking forward to that too. :D

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
Bonesy

Thanks everyone. It really is a great escape with amazing views.
Weather today very much blowing a hooley with the Atlantic providing a show of strength 💪

Keith
bjones

Well done Laura and Paul; the amazing Coast House is a credit to you (and you're a credit to your mum and dad :D )

Keith can you perhaps post a link to the way this beautiful place can be booked for holidays?

"Atlantic showing it's strength" what a great way to put it Keith. The reason I love the sea so much is just that strength. It's such a great leveler. Looking out at it puts all our piddling little problems into perspective; it's been doing it's thing long before we (and our problems) existed and will still be doing the same long after we've gone.
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
Bonesy

Thanks bee. As soon as their website is up and running I will post it here.

Keithos
Dan

From Angie's Liverpool twitter.

Palma airport, Mallorca yesterday.

Glenys

I will "pass" on that experience 😬
Silver-Haired-Hippy

:shock: I am not that much in need of a holiday abroad! Gives us all a clearer photo of what the airports are like Dan!

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
Dan

I think right now I'd settle for the 1984 Berni Inn menu from the Albany on Old Hall Street. :D

miv donelan

I'd never leave home if it meant encountering crowds like that. What are those people thinking.

Dan, the Bernie menu has brought back fond memories.... I'll have the Seafood Creole for starters, followed by Fillet Steak (med) and if I still have room, the Meringue fountain to finish. All for under £10+tip. Those were the days.
Dan

From the Hawarden Police helicopter May 30 2021.

Anglesey with the Menai Strait and Snowdonia in the distance.

Conwy Valley looking towards Conwy, Llandudno and the Great Orme.

Some pics from yesterday on twitter.

Orkney

Two from Borrowdale in the Lakes.

filsgreen

Looks like Rae and I will be having lots of staycations in the future, I've just bought this to convert into a campervan. :D

Bonesy

Phil, nice looking van. That's something that I've always wanted to do a conversion.
Would love to see progress photos.
Well done.

Keith
bjones

Yes Phil; what Keith said please!
Bee

filsgreen

Thanks, Keith, Bee, I will do. I'm not going to be doing a lot of it, just within my comfort zone. Liverpool campervan conversions are doing the important stuff like gas, electric, upholstery and furniture.

Unfortunately, they're booked up till September, so I'll do all the prep work like insulation and sound deadening. I'll start a separate thread so I don't hijack yours, Keith. :D
filsgreen

Just got back after five days in Wales, we came back early because the weather was poor and there was no Internet 😱 here are a few snaps. 😁

Silver-Haired-Hippy

Is that Trearddur Bay Phil? Pity you found the weather was a bit iffy, never mind, once your van is done you can take off at a moments notice when the sun shines! :D

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
BossHogg

Glenys wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:38 pm A Staycation for us, Lake District in a lodge.
I'm quite lucky, I live on the Lake District coast. 👍
BossHogg

Dan wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 5:20 pm
Two from Borrowdale in the Lakes.

I'm on the other side of the mountains. 👍
filsgreen

Yes it is, Loretta. :D