Comparison in size!

Join in here with our very own Bootle Chatterbox...
Patricia

Thought many of you might like to see this - it's amazing when you look at the size of both countries. Unless you see them like this not many would be able to realize the difference in land mass.
Again, Happy Easter to all who celebrate !!

Bernie R

As you say Patricia - amazing.

Seem to recall something similar showing that continental Europe would fit in Australia too.

Bern
Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
Bernie R

Found it...

Oz stand up pretty well in comparison to USA as well...

Bern
Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
filsgreen

USA compared to Africa, could probably fit Australia and the UK in as well. :D

Patricia

Although Africa has a long way to go to catch up with the population, i,e:
How do Africa and the US compare in population: The population of South Africa is ~56.5 million people (276.2 million more people live in United States).
bjones

Patricia I think you're perhaps confusing the size of the population of the Republic of South Africa (a country) with the population of the whole continent of Africa.
"Africa is the world's second-largest and second-most populous continent, after Asia in both cases. At about 30.3 million km 2 (11.7 million square miles) including adjacent islands, it covers 6% of Earth 's total surface area and 20% of its land area. With 1.3 billion people as of 2018, it accounts for about 16% of the world's human population."
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
Patricia

Notice not many comments on the Dimensions of Great Britain or is this a "Diversion Tactic!" :D

South Africa is approximately 1,219,090 sq km, while United States is approximately 9,833,517 sq km, making United States 707% larger than South Africa. Meanwhile, the population of South Africa is ~56.5 million people (276.2 million more people live in United States).
I will be sure to stipulate "Republic of South Africa "next time.(Will have to remind those in charge to also stipulate Republic of South Africa)

Same with Australia i,e, population is a great deal less - although my cousin who lives in Preston has stated on more than one occasion that if he had been twenty years younger ,he would definitely be heading for New Zealand!!!
United States is about 1.3 times bigger than Australia.
Australia is approximately 7,741,220 sq km, while United States is approximately 9,833,517 sq km, making United States 27% larger than Australia. Meanwhile, the population of Australia is ~25.5 million people (307.2 million more people live in United States!!
Last edited by Patricia on Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:12 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Patricia

Would hate for Russia & China to become allies or or they already there?
filsgreen

I think you may be missing the point, Patricia, I put the USA within the continent of Africa. You then made the comparison between the population of the USA and South Africa.

Bee was pointing out, you cannot do that, as South Africa is only a small proportion of the continent of Africa. Even if you included all of North America as a continent, its size and population has no comparison to Africa.

As to making comparisons between the sizes of the UK and the USA, I've always preferred quality over quantity. :D
Patricia

Except perhaps, when it comes to war!! Lets not get over jndulgent, shall we?

Another factor I found quite interesting ..........
"700,000 Brits"
A staggering 700,000 Brits currently call the U.S. home.
I belong to two Brit Groups, i.e. Brits who have moved to the U.S.
Brits who live in N.E. America
Both very informative and more important, friendly, which I find is a very valuable entity.