Jigsaw Corner

Join in here with our very own Bootle Chatterbox...
Silver-Haired-Hippy

I have got one Bernie! good luck with it! :D

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
Glenys

Newbies to jigsaws here, all tips welcomed. I had bought 'him indoor's a 1000 piece, view of Bowness piers etc. He only got around to starting it this Wednesday.

Phew, even though we are both working on it, we are finding it hard. Last one I did was a MINIONS one !!! :lol: :lol:

Would love to hear your tips as to how you sort out the pieces after finding all the straight edges, and how and where you keep the piees.

G. :roll:
Lived Linacre Lane, Trinity Road & Knowsley Road.
Silver-Haired-Hippy

When I said I've got one Bernie I meant a band! :D

Bee, if I have a puzzle with words/ letters on I put them to one side, blues, browns etc. separate piles. faces the same, patterns, or pieces that match. hope you get what I mean! oh, I use my dining room table and use each side for the piles, can't do a puzzle bigger than 1000 though and hope the family want to dine out or bbq when they come, no way am I moving a half done jigsaw! :lol:

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
Silver-Haired-Hippy

Hi Glenys, I have had a very nice message off a forum mate :lol: informing me I got names mixed up! sorry about that, I've blamed my tablet for the very small print! :wink: ok, it was me speed reading! :D good luck with the jigsaw and hope you can do something I still can't do, post a picture of it!

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
Glenys

Hi Loretta,

NO worries. Thanks for the reply with good advice for us re starting jigsaw; already getting obsessive, haven't done any housework today :shock:

We are both working on it, trouble is we are getting neck and shoulder problems.................... :( Never mind a glass or two will solve that.

Will get back to you if and when we finish it.

One more question - which makes of jigsaws do you recommend?????

Glenys
Bill fawcett

Started & finished this one today. Nothing else to do when you have the dreaded lurgi( Covid) :cry:
Bill

Glenys

How many pieces?
Bill fawcett

Only 500, that’s how I managed to finish it in one day. I didn’t feel up to tackling a 1000 piece.
Glenys, Ravenscroft & Gibsons puzzles are both very good quality.

Bill
Silver-Haired-Hippy

Sorry to hear you are poorly Bill, hope you are feeling better soon. :)

Glenys, I do wasgij jigsaws, if you try them get a 500 one for first go, you will possibly bin it after a bit! :D Joking! They are what they call, back to front jigsaws, what is on the lid is not what you do, it's what they are looking at! Rather hard to explain really!The clue is in the name by the way! I love them! The ones Bill mentioned are good ones too. Keep at it and soon you will be hooked! :D

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
filsgreen

Hi Glenys
If you're brave enough to do a Wasgij, I have one you may borrow. However, as a newcomer, I wouldn't recommend them; I found them very difficult and had to Google what the picture was.

I started to buy Jonathan Van Haasteren from Amazon in May 2020. I've over 50 of them now and am due to receive one from Amazon today. I've posted many pictures of them. Here's the latest one I've just finished.

Silver-Haired-Hippy

Forgot to say Bill, I like the jigsaw you have just finished :D
Phil, not seen that one! must look out for it in "my" shop!! :D

I agree with Phil about wasgij (almost!) :D start on the ones Bill and Phil do, then, give the others a try Glenys! Good idea to borrow Phil's in case you can't do it, I gave up on the first one I did but it was a l000 one, far too big for starters and it was about two years later I tried with a 500 one, they are the ones I mainly do now, one almost every week!!! :shock:

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
Bill fawcett

Thanks, Loretta, I am not feeling too bad, just a hacking cough and headache, and feeling cold all of the time. Luckily it has not affected my breathing at all.
That jigsaw was a lot easier than the ones I normally do.
Cheers
Bill
bjones

Bill, glad to hear the dreaded lurgy hasn't poleaxed you but do take it easy for a while to make sure you get rid.

Glenys, this lot are semi-professional jigsaw puzzlers so take the advice of a novice (me) and start with a 500 piece less "fussy" puzzle. Completing that will give you confidence to try something bigger.
I find that if I have to struggle too much it becomes a chore rather than a pleasant pastime so make it easy on yourself and work your way up to the complicated ones.
If you look back on this thread you'll see the kind of puzzles Irene H started off with: Corner Piece. They're the brand I've done too. If you and John get the bug no doubt you'll join the experts on here.
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
Glenys

Hi, Thank you all so much for the tips and advice.

We are hooked, another day without doing any chores, son dropped in and he started helping us. It is a pity that I had bought John a 1000 piece, should have bought 500..........................in fact, I should have asked for advice before buying!!!

Bill, hope you feel better soon, another B.B. and jigsaw obsessive, Bernie, is poorly with the dreaded lurgy.

Well, better get back to the "hobby", have to finish it before our daughter and her three minions arrive here next Wednesday to stay for a few days.................need the table; the one in the kitchen isn't quite big enough. :roll:

I will attempt to post a pic on here when, and if, we finish it.

Wondered if there is a name for folk who do jigaws.?????

Glenys
Bill fawcett

Glenn’s & Bee, thanks for your comments.

Bill
Silver-Haired-Hippy

Was thinking we could called ourselves the Jiggers, but If memory serves me right, I think that was called a back entry! :shock: Thinking caps on folks!! :D

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
bjones

Loretta "Jiggers" would make you Back Entry Diddlers. How about Jiggernauts?
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
Bernie R

Sad to report I've joined Bill in sick bay as tested positive for the dreaded lurgy on Wednesday. Well done Bill for cracking that 500 piece while way-laid, I've not even touched my current project this week.

Glenys,

Welcome to our little gang of whatever we're calling ourselves.

I echo the tips already posted for you.

My best one was to get a sheet of hardboard cut to a size that slips under the couch. Keep it shiny side down so it's easier to move and the pieces stay in place on the rough side. That way you can stash the puzzle away when not in use.

Re storing pieces. I have a couple of shallow cardboard trays I can use to do a section of the puzzle while sat on the couch - then slide the section into the big one on the board.

Our Holly got me some great sorting trays for my birthday too. They are ideal to sort into colours etc, and they stack on top of each other to save space...

Bern
Last edited by Bernie R on Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
Glenys

Thanks Bernie,

Very good advice, and love the sorting trays - thanks Holly.

J had just emptied the whole box in one pile.......................it was a nightmare spreading the pieces out on the table. I suppose I could use the plastic containers grapes are packed in, as and when I buy grapes, until we splash out on purpose-made trays!

Could we call ourselves - Puzzlers....................... :roll:
filsgreen

That's too generic, Glenys. 😁Get well soon, Bernie. 🤞
Glenys

:cry: :D
Bill fawcett

Get well soon Bernie. It’s not very pleasant is it. I just hope it doesn’t last as long as two of Margarets friends, who are both still testing positive after 10 days.
I like the puzzle sorter Bernie and have just ordered one.

Bill
filsgreen

My latest effort.

Bernie R

Finished this on Good Friday but due to my phone problems I never took the pic.

Still trying to crack the 101 artists hidden in the puzzle though. 🧩🤣

Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
Silver-Haired-Hippy

Not done that one Phil, looks a good one! :D

Like that one Bernie!! :D

How are you getting on with yours Bill?

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
Bernie R

Finally gave up on the bands challenge. looked up the answers online and we got 64 out of 101 - mind you, some we got wrong could have worked too (e.g. left centre, we went for Men at Work when they wanted The Carpenters).

Next challenge should be good. It's a mash up of characters from The Dandy and The Beano. One of the lads at Anfield asked me to do it and frame it for him - I've never had a commission before :lol:

Will post a pic as usual once it's underway .

Bern
Bernie R

Finally got round to starting the Beano/Dandy puzzle I'm doing and framing for a mate...

Silver-Haired-Hippy

Good jigsaw Bernie, hope you are getting on with it ok!

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
Bernie R

Finished this one off on Jubilee Friday - forgot to post the pic.

Frame etc has arrived so that's this afternoon's little task sorted.

Silver-Haired-Hippy

Great one Bernie! looks a good fun one! I hate to admit it but I am stuck with a wasgij one, finding it tedious :roll: Forcing myself to do it but half heartily. :(

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
Bernie R

Loretta

Sorry to hear that. It's horrible when a puzzle becomes a chore. Try and break it into bit size chunks like, say 15 pieces a day - see if that gets you through it.

Bern
Silver-Haired-Hippy

It's about 2 or 3 pieces a night at the moment, possibly finish it for Christmas at this rate! oh, about time I write Bern not Bernie, the penny has finally dropped! :lol:

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
Bernie R

Either works for me Loretta, honestly not fussed - I just prefer to avoid the full Sunday name :wink:
Bernie R

Spent a pleasant hour sorting and doing the edges of this after enjoying the Open golf.

Bernie R

Finished the Where's Wally on 4th September but forgot to post a pic...

...onto the next one...