How does your garden grow?

Join in here with our very own Bootle Chatterbox...
bjones

Have you been spending more time gardening since we've been staying home? Today Ken's posted a pic of his garden and Ernie has recently mentioned that he's starting to grow veg.
I recall a few years ago Bill Thomo(RIP) started a thread asking for pics of our gardens and more recently Bernie J and (I think) Graham? have posted photos of their produce. I can't find these threads now so perhaps it's the right time to start a new one.

Whether you have acreage, a little back-yard plot or a few pots on your balcony let's have a look at what you're doing with your little bit of England (or Scotland, Wales or anywhere else in the world)…..
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
Bonesy

Great idea bee. Will contribute when I have cut the grass :lol: I

Keithos
BossHogg

Posted on the other topic, here's my garden. ;)
Invicta

Yesterday lawn and flower bed from 2019. K
Paul

Born Kirk Street
ALAMO2008

Can't see that Garden bench on left in the garden this morning because of the Dense Sea Fog all over.
bjones

Fab pics folk. Here’s one of mine . . . :D Actually that was taken about 4 years ago, believe it or not we’d already cleared most of the trees and masses of ivy.
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
bjones

And today
Bee

Paul

Lovely photos

Paul
Born Kirk Street
Invicta

Nice pics folks :D
A bit of a hill there Bee, no wonder you let H do the mowing :lol:
Ken
Bonesy

Some great pics.
My humble attempt :lol:

Keithos
Bernie R

Ours doesn't really grow as it's artificial but I like it - plastic grass, shed and fence - no maintenence issues for me other than the occasional jetwash.

Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
Bonesy

Wise man Bern :D

Keith
Invicta

Very neat chaps. Nice thread Bee. :D Ken
Invicta

Bernie R wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:26 pm Ours doesn't really grow as it's artificial but I like it - plastic grass, shed and fence - no maintenence issues for me other than the occasional jetwash.

Steady on Bernie, all that plastic!
The Timber Trade has to pay my pension you know😢
Ken
bjones

Invicta wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:26 pm A bit of a hill there Bee, no wonder you let H do the mowing :lol:
Ken
Ken, the house is another 3 feet higher again. When we bought it the whole garden sloped top to bottom. I couldn't get down there so didn't know just what we'd got until we moved in. The drop behind the bottom fence is about 8 foot with one neighbour being about 4 feet lower on one side and the other neighbour 2 feet higher so we had to terrace. It's sandstone underneath so the levels were pretty much dictated by that. Harry mows the flat parts with a petrol mower and uses his hover on a rope to do the embankment. No wonder he wants me to ask Bernie how much 400 square yards of his turf would cost.
Bee

Bonesy

Imagegif hosting

A different aspect

Keithos
Bonesy

And a bit later....
Bill fawcett

Here are my front and back. Not as neat as others on here I know but it suits me. They are just starting to fill out now as the plants grow. I got rid of all the grass as I Hated Mowing it. :roll:

Invicta

Morning Bill,
Down on Dungeness Beach ( Kent coast ) lots of the gardens are similar to your front.
Some have great displays of a wide variety of plants, very few flowering ones though as it can be harsh down there and grass struggles.
Ken
Invicta

Bit of a cock up yesterday !
I decided to use the jet wash to clean some garden furniture on the lawn :oops:
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

Great idea this.

My forced isolation has enabled me, like others, to do a bit of gardening. Initially I didn't know the names of the shrubs and stuff I planted years ago. . My son told me about an app on my phone so I can now simply take a photo, apply the app, and a full description comes up.

I now know that Paul has a lovely Japanese Andromeda in his garden. I have been delighted at the performance on mine but never knew what they were called? They flower in red before changing to various other colours throughout the season.

I could really do with a garden like that of Bernie which really enhances his home, little or no maintenance.

I believe you can always tell the quality of a house inside by what the garden looks like?

This was taken a few years ago.

Invicta

Bonesy wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:07 pm Image

And a bit later....
The Tunnel of Lurv :lol: K
Paul

Ernie, if it’s the plant in my garden you mention, thanks very much, it’s been driving me mad for ages trying to remember what it was, I looked it up and it is what you say, a Japanese Andromeda, cheers Ernie.

Paul
Born Kirk Street
BossHogg

My front garden is just gravel and tarmac, so nothing to get excited about, I've just spent the afternoon staining my fence, now lying in a warm bath trying to get what didn't go the fence off! :lol:
Matt

Hi Ernie and Paul.In Canada that plant is called a Lily of the Valley bush or the latin name Pieris Japonica.We have had one in our front garden for over 40 years and it is beautiful when in full bloom and even more nice when the foliage starts turning red.Very common bush in Western Canada because here on the West Coast we are in the same growing zone as Japan, parts of China and of course the UK. Sheila's dad(RIP)took a book back to Chester called the Western Canadian Gardener and he told us that he had never had so much luck growing veggies and flowers than he did following the planting times and soil conditions according to that book.
Matt
Last edited by Matt on Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paul

Thanks for that information Matt, very interesting, I remember buying it in a small pot, it has grown beautifully, now 12 years old.

Paul
Born Kirk Street
Invicta

I’m told we have one . It did well for years but suffered in the extreme, prolonged heat a couple of years ago.
Ken
Matt

Funny you mentioned about the heat Ken.For the first time our lily of the valley bush is looking rather ragged and quite a few branches have died but we did have a VERY hot summer(temperatures over 90f) last year and drought for nearly four months.We have also lost a beautiful rhododendron that we have had since we moved into our house 40 years ago but the bl***y dandelions,daisies and creeping buttercups still come up :evil: :lol:
Matt
ALAMO2008

My Wife has been Watering the Flower beds every night for the last two weeks, Finally last night it rained.

bjones

Some great pics of some lovely gardens you guys but where are our ladies? I know that both Glenys and Sheelagh have lovely plots in Formby... come on girls!
Oh and Ernie; how's your veg patch coming on.. let's have a deco!

Alan, lucky you to get some rain. We're hoping to get some today, it's been weeks since we've had any. We're still "building" our garden and with sandy soil and wind off the river it all dries out so fast doesn't it.
Bee

Silver-Haired-Hippy

I have an amazing show of Taraxacum! comes out every year regardless of the weather, drought or heatwave! I would put a photo on but still cannot do it. :roll: :D light rain for us today so that will no doubt help it to grow more as the "lawn" is so dry. Love everybody's gardens especially yours Alamo, what a view!!! :D

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
Invicta

Morning gardeners.
At last we are getting a decent bit of much needed rain here in the South.
Matt, our Rhodi's are doing fine but in the same bed we've noticed the Lavender is not as good as normal.
Lovely aspect there Alan , who cuts all that grass? :D
Ken
ALAMO2008

We have Two Gardners from Borth Golf Club cut the grass each week or so.
Moira and I do all the Flowers etc and maintain the mile long Private road to our place.
Usually a hundred or so Sheep in the Fields below but next door Farmer lambing them indoors this year along with his herd of Welsh Blacks and calves. No doubt they will be out of isolation soon.
Moira watching a Dolphin jump out of the sea the other evening while hosing the garden.
A far cry from the Block of Flats she grew up in as a child in Toxteth.
Fabulous sunset last night but too busy watching Netflix Series 4 of The Last Kingdom back to back to go out to photo.
bjones

Loretta; :lol: :lol: :lol: I think I knew that which is why I didn't mention you :P

Alan that sounds idyllic

Ken usually rhodis (I can't spell it either :P ) and lavender like completely different growing conditions. Having said that mine are thriving next to an old thriving camellia -one of only 4 shrub/trees that survived the digger. Really surprised that lavender isn't doing well in the warm dry weather. It could simply be that it's "time has come", sadly they don't last forever, I think I got about 5 or 6 years out of the ones I planted at my old house.
By the way we got rain at about 9.30 a.m..................… for about 20 seconds!
Bee