How does your garden grow?

Join in here with our very own Bootle Chatterbox...
Silver-Haired-Hippy

love all the photos you have been putting on Patricia! can I borrow your bunnies please?!!! :D
loving all the gardens posted on here! :D

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

What a mess. I have been eating the wrong stuff.

Knowing the rabbit habit I have been on carrots for a few years....not for my eyesight....but haven't had the result I had hoped.

From now I am a dandelion grower as if its good enough for a rabbit then dandelion salad is now on our menu. Should make Val happy at least (although carrots can stand up for themselves better than dandelions). :oops:

Now I know why Henry grows dandelions. :wink:
henry

Err what's up Doc :lol:
HENRY BORN FLORIDA STREET OFF STRAND ROAD
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

Nothing yet Henry....lets see how the salad does? (I hope humerous innuendo is accepted here Mack) :lol:
Patricia

Dandelion. Most rabbits consider dandelions (Taraxacum officinale) very tasty! They are quite easy to recognise, their leaves can look a bit like other plants if you aren't used to weed ID but the big pom pom seed heads on a single stem are easy to spot. Rabbits can eat the leaves and flowers.
Happy munching Ernie!! :D :D

Did anyone have a rabbit growing up? My older brother had a blue chinchilla rabbit which my Mum and I ended up looking after, cleaning the Hutch and feeding same when the novelty wore off for him. I remember feeding him oatmeal and strained tea leaves from the teapot. When I mention this to anyone over here they look at me like I'm from another planet. Is anybody else familiar with that particular combination or have I dreamt it!!!
henry

When we lived down strand road in the 50s we had a rabbit and my eldest brother sat on it on the sofa and sadly no more and went to the big hutch in the sky :cry:
Elaine Goulding

Henry, not funny, poor rabbit, but it did make me laugh :D :D
Elaine

Bianca Street, Bootle - moved to Canada 1982
ALAMO2008

ALAMO2008

Bonesy

That's nice.

Keith
ALAMO2008

I might win the Smallest Foxglove award.

bjones

Ahhh Bless! (as the young folks say)
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
Invicta

Invicta wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:10 pm Haven’t heard goosegogs in many a year Sheelagh :lol: or tasted one :D K
All this talk of Goosegogs, look what my neighbour just gave us from his garden
bjones

Ewwww; haven't tried them since I was a kid and not in any hurry to try agian.
We had home grown lettuce yesterday. I planted out grandson's left over seedlings between shrubs as I didn't have my raised beds ready. They're coming on fine, gave a couple to next door neighbour and the slugs and snails seem to be taking their share but still enough to go around.
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
Invicta

Hi Bee,
Goosegogs in a Crumble. They are quite sweet, I remember them much more tart.
Those lettuce have to be better than our last 3 purchases of little gems ex Tesco, Waitrose and Aldi, they're all rubbish.
Ken
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

Mums gooseberry pie and custard was a treat to be relished and reminds me of the exciting anticipation when we saw a desert spoon included in the table setting.

It must be decades since I saw a gooseberry.

The big plus here is that Ken was presented this dish as a gift. We all know the appropriate proverb.
Sheelagh Tequila

I Used to love gooseberry tart and custard but i couldn't tell you the last time I tasted some...
My future D I L has grown All her own veg this year and oh my goodness now I know why gardeners tell us to grow our own, from beetroot which I roasted in the slow cooker wrapped in tin foil to carrots spring onions broccoli 3 types lettuce, I,m def going to join the grow your own gang ..raised troughs for me . This is a great thread Bee..thanks for posting it .

Sheelagh Tequila
bjones

Goosegogs are probably the only thing my Ma never put in a tart but I promise I'll try gooseberry crumble sometime soon, gotta be better with plenty of sugar.
ShEElagh, you've got to get Ghattas to sort you out a raised bed or two. My dad always had a plot so we were brought up on home grown veg. We had the likes of broccoli and courgettes well before the shops sold them. The difference in taste is all the encouragement you need to start.
My lettuce were fine and the beauty of growing your own is that you can just pick as many or few leaves as you need and the plant keeps on growing.
Ernie it's time to stop the rain dancing now; surely your spuds have had enough "juice" :D
Bee

Sheelagh Tequila

I'll get the stuff sen from Amazon and put them together myself
kind of thing I like doing.......Steve Allan on LBC radio was saying yesterday he had never heard of folk drinking cabbage water! we were brought up on the stuff, a mug full warm from the pot with a touch of salt and pepper,
marvelous for the skin AND for keeping you regular :shock:
Your Dad growing exotic veg Bee reminds me of when I first met Ghattas 1971 and we would do his food shopping in Lewis's for his Rum Baba and on to Granby Street for all "foreign" food peppers, chilies, dried pasta (not the small macaroni we have always used for puddings) mortadella, feta cheese vine leaves none of which I had ever heard of and certainly would never even taste, I love and use them all now but still hate garlic :evil:

Sheelagh Tequila
bjones

ShEElagh, don't bother with Amazon, get hold of some scaffolding planks and make your own.

Ghattas' shopping sounds much like Harry's mum. She was Greek brought up in Egypt so Harry ate lots of spicy "foreign stuff" growing up. Unlike him I was surprised when I first learnt that spaghetti was available any other way than in a tin with tomato sauce :lol:
Bee

Invicta

bjones wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:36 pm Goosegogs are probably the only thing my Ma never put in a tart but I promise I'll try gooseberry crumble sometime soon, gotta be better with plenty of sugar.
ShEElagh, you've got to get Ghattas to sort you out a raised bed or two. My dad always had a plot so we were brought up on home grown veg. We had the likes of broccoli and courgettes well before the shops sold them. The difference in taste is all the encouragement you need to start.
My lettuce were fine and the beauty of growing your own is that you can just pick as many or few leaves as you need and the plant keeps on growing.
Ernie it's time to stop the rain dancing now; surely your spuds have had enough "juice" :D
Here you are Bee, we had some over so J made you a small one
bjones

That was delicious Ken, tell Janette thanks very much :lol:
Bee

Invicta

A tad too much sugar in the crumble but very nice . :D K
bjones

No pleasing some people! J has my sympathy :lol:
Bee

ALAMO2008

bjones

So there you are Henry and Loretta, while we're growing spuds you're growing medicine.
Dandelions have also been used as a diuretic for centuries which is why, as kids we called them pee-the-beds and in French their name is pissenlit.
Bee

henry

Told you
Forget nice flowers
Silver-Haired-Hippy

Out with my bucket tomorrow! (I bet I have more than you Henry! :wink: ) I am gonna be soooo healthy or I am going to have very yellow skin and not through drinking too much vino!!!! :lol: :lol: Thanks for letting us know Alan!

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
Invicta

Our front bed this morning and Roses given for our Anniversary. K

Bill fawcett

Every year my favourite coloured flowers are these Californian Poppies, and they flower right through the summer.

Paul

Ken and Bill, looking good.

Paul
Born Kirk Street
henry

Anyone know how to grow Burdock to go with my well watered dandelions
Silver-Haired-Hippy

Henry! :lol: :lol: :lol: never thought of that, must check it out! :D
love your flowers Ken and Bill :D
Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
Invicta

The back of our garage.
I thought I’d removed the Clematis but obviously left a bit and it’s prospered.
The climbing Hydrangea is just rampant and just about to flower.
Ken

bjones

Great climbers Ken, could do with a few like that to cover our miles of fencing.
We'll have to be careful what we choose. We've spent the past 3 days taking down the rotted fence and getting rid of the ivy that caused it.. Fortunately my son is having groundwork done so we dumped 8 builders ton bags full in his skip!
Bee