Our First House

Join in here with our very own Bootle Chatterbox...
Bonesy

Using Street Maps,just done a tour around were out first house was.
39 Markfield Road, was my nans house, we lived there for six months after getting married in November 1971.

At one end of the road was Johnson's and the other was North Park
Imagewells fargo near me new orleans
Imageupload images online
Grandads old watering hole. When I saw this i was surprised to find that Litherand started outside the Pacific.

Places I remember.

The Kiosk, the small doorway where I would buy sweets when visiting my nans.
The old Sturlas building, I think.

Keith
Sheelagh Tequila

Great pictures Keith, .....love the red brick and the old streets. Sturlas cheques, I hated it when Mam took me clothes shopping with one of those, you could only get sensible clothes and heavy school shoes that lasted for ever and a day :roll:
Happy memories,, thanks for posting.

Sheelagh :D
Bonesy

Thanks Sheelagh, thought that it would make a good topic. Hope that you are keeping well and enjoying your retirement c

Keith x
BOBHAMO

Like it Keith get down there needs a coat of paint :D :D :D
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Bill fawcett

I have only ever lived in two houses. I was born in 20 Margaret Rd, Walton, got married and moved to the other end of Stuart Rd into Bootle. My wife Margaret was born in our house and at 77 has never lived anywhere else.

Bill
filsgreen

That's some record, Bill, we've moved eight times in the last thirteen years. :shock:
Invicta

Nice thread Cus,
Since marrying in 1970 we have had 4 houses, all of them new builds. If you count Parents house in Ford it would be 5. Been in the current house 39 years.
Also lived in company houses in US and Finland.
Ken
bjones

Great pics Keith, did brother and sister George and Janet Baker who went to my junior school live in Markfield?
The Pacific is on the corner of ALPHA St, so called as it's the first street in Litherland.

Bill, as Phil says that's some record! I've owned a total of 5 houses and lived in 2 flats. The longest I've lived in one house was 30 years in my house in Crosby before moving to Wirral 13 years ago
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
Shelagh

Keith; what can I say, some very happy memories of days gone by :)

The Broadway Stores, as a child I would do all my Christmas shopping there, would buy a ton of rubbish (gifts) for half a crown, talk about value for money 😀

The Odeon 😀 went on a few dates there, unfortunately, hated the pictures, much preferred dancing 💃
Some of the film titles at the time, ‘House On A Haunted Hill’ ‘Move Over Darling’ ‘The Incredible Journey’ ‘Jungle book’ ‘Fist Full Of Dollars’ and the ‘The Sound Of Music’ the latter being worst one of all 🙄
Must be the only female on the planet who didn’t like S.O.M. 🤭

Sturlas, best Easter clothes, loved wearing the new dress for church, straw hat didn’t stay on long though, whipped off straight after Mass!

Johnsons; friend Cathy worked there for a few years, had some amusing stories to tell about the old place, would have us in stitches!

Hairdressers, ‘Total Eclipse’ my niece’s shop, I usually go in for a chat, hairdo, and manicure, going to miss my weekly pampering sessions!

Pacific pub; my late brother’s favourite watering hole, him and mates would meet up there every Sunday night,
Great bunch of lads, friends since childhood!

Thanks Keith, you’ve helped take my mind off the crisis, if only for a few minutes, enjoyed every second of the journey 😊

Left to right - Shelagh, Lynn, Cathy (deceased) still miss my lifelong pal 😔
Mack
Site Admin

Hi Keith,

I grew up in 39 Croxteth Road :D

Great memories.

Mack :)
IRENE H

SHELAGH, is that Cathy Denn, she worked in johnsons we were all friends from the shirt unit, sorry to hear she passed away, she was always full of fun & laughter xx
Your never fully dressed without a smile
Bonesy

Hiya Irene, good to see your name on here.

Hope that you and Peter are well, you will be missing your race meetings.

Keith xx
Last edited by Bonesy on Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
IRENE H

Hi Keith, we sure are missing our race meeting s had one planned for next week at Sedgefield but that’s by the way, Hope you’re all keeping safe We’re doing good, we just got home from Lanzarote on the 10th so we were lucky. , Had a really great time , We must all do the best we can & try not to let this get to us, Keep active and stay positive. Say hello to Lian. And all the family take care. Love to you all on this forum. Irene & Peter xxxx
Your never fully dressed without a smile
Bonesy

👍👍👍 xxx
Shelagh

Hi Irene, yes, Cathy Denn is the girl you remember from Johnson’s, you’re right about her sense of fun, what a lovely spirit, and such a big heart..can honestly say, have never met anybody so kind hearted, she would help anybody and everybody, and was loved by everyone she met.
So pleased you remembered her, Irene, and pleased you that you managed to get back safe from Lanzarote :D

Shelagh xx