Homing pigeon

Join in here with our very own Bootle Chatterbox...

Re: Homing pigeon

Postby miv donelan » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:24 pm

Bob :lol: :lol: :lol:
Patricia. My son received a phone call from the man in Ireland to say the bird wasn't his, but he wanted to thank us for taking care of Steve and for going to such lengths to trace his owner. He promised to do what he could to help. He put us in touch with an English friend of his who requested photos of the birds rings, and the bird itself. He said he would collect him last Friday and take care of him while trying to trace the owner if Peter was agreeable. However when he arrived it was to say that our lodger wasn't a racing pigeon, but a Tippler, a domesticated pigeon trained for endurance flying. Much smaller than racing birds. He was unable to offer him a home as his birds were racing pigeons, and wouldn't mix. So Steve has his feet well and truly under the bird table, and Peter can be heard round midnight rattling bird seed, while trying to coax him down from the roof to lock him up for the night. Fortunately the neighbours see the funny side and so far nobody has complained. Any future developments I'll be sure to let you know. But for now Steve rules the roost.
miv donelan

Postby Shelagh » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:20 am

:lol: Can’t help but laugh at the antics of Steve - mind of his own by the sounds of it :D
Adventures of Steve - potentially worthy news item for Granada Reports :wink:

Refreshing change from Brexit :)
Shelagh

Postby Patricia » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:38 pm

Miv - Who would have thought that this story would turn into a "Life" of its own! Not only am
I learning about the daily doings of "Steve" but also being educated as to "Racing"
Pigeons'"and "Domesticated Endurance Pigeons" something I was never aware of.
I find it all very interesting and an enjoyable read, it also made me search to find
out that a "Loft" is where they reside and an "Orhithologist" is someone that looks
after birds. So, I now have that information ready for our nightly quiz show in case
a question in that category should come up!! :D :D Of course, there is also a
lot of info regarding their use during the World Wars.
I was very impressed by the camaraderie that obviously exists between people
who enjoy Pigeons, for those men to take the trouble they did and even come and
visit you.
Looking forward to hearing about the comings and goings of "Steve."
You all seem to be doing an excellent job with him - he couldn't have stopped off at
a better residence!!! :D
Patricia

Postby Ernie Jackson. (Bunty) » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:27 pm

Having ONE pigeon is fine. I will tell you a story.

When I owned an EPH one of the new residents enjoyed feeding pigeons so we got her some bird seed for her hobby.

First day at 3pm she went into the garden and spread the seed. It was gobbled up in no time.

Within a week, at 3pm on the dot, our roof was covered with pigeons, hundreds of them, waiting for their daily feed. The lovely slate roof was soon a white one.

And the moral is :roll: :roll: :roll:
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

Postby Patricia » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:56 pm

And the moral is...........Only have "Steve!" :D :D

I agree with you, that would be a lot to cope with. We do have somebody in the neighborhood that
keeps pigeons but I only ever see the pigeons all lined up on the telephone line on Colony Road that
seems to be their choice of location when let out for exercise!!
Patricia

Postby miv donelan » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:15 am

Steve has been confirmed as male, phew! don't have to worry about nesting boxes. Sheelagh, I think he's had more than his share of publicity, I have to agree though he's more palatable than listening to the Brexit saga :roll:
Patricia, like you I have learned a lot about pigeons over the past weeks, ridiculous as it sounds I've found it quite interesting. I hope you get to show off your new found knowledge sometime soon :wink: I'll keep you up to date with steve's adventures.
Ernie, my son anticipated being invaded by hungry birds. Much to my grandsons horror his dad insists on feeding Steve in the space between the back door, and the utility. As you can imagine, he doesn't only eat there. Ciaran complained loudly, but his dad pointed out that he too only comes home to eat and s**t. The house has never been so clean, it's like an operating theatre, but they're looking into a small loft for him now the weather has improved.
It looks like he's here to stay.
miv donelan

Postby filsgreen » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:06 am

You'll have a loft soon, Miv. :D
filsgreen

Postby lynne99 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:35 am

You will love having him as part of the family. Life is for sharing
lynne99

Postby Patricia » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:21 pm

Miv - I feel "Steve" has added new energy to the Forum :D You
now have 1151 viewings (still increasing) on this particular post!! Kudos to "Steve!"
and of course to YOU too, reporting about his welfare!
Looking forward to further installments!!! :D
Patricia

Postby miv donelan » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:17 pm

Patricia, I have to admit I'm staggered at the interest one little lost pigeon has generated on the forum. I can only think that we are all thoroughly fed up with world wide politics and daily doses of unfairness, so Steve's losing his way has brought a little light relief. I hope he finds a more suitable home than he has now, but one things for sure, he'd be missed is that happens.
miv donelan

Postby fatboyjoe90 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:35 am

It is a good story Miv, even though it's a bit corny. :oops: :lol: :lol:
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Postby filsgreen » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:46 am

Don't take the mick, Joe. :D
filsgreen

Postby henry » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:09 pm

When I was a lad living next to people who had racing pigeons and if any other birds came into the lofts they were known as STRAGS which was short for stragglers and they would be necked and thrown into the bin
A bit different from Steve :|
HENRY BORN FLORIDA STREET OFF STRAND ROAD
henry

Postby Patricia » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:25 pm

.....a little humour on this subject! :D
Patricia

Postby henry » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:00 pm

Patricia
We dont have talking pigeons in the Uk :P
henry

Postby Ernie Jackson. (Bunty) » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:51 pm

Coo....fancy.
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

Postby miv donelan » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:26 pm

Patricia, :lol: :lol: :lol: I love it, I'm sending that to my son.

Don't forget folks, All of Gods creatures have a place in the choir!!! Love them or hate them,

STEVE RULES OK,,,,...
miv donelan

Postby Patricia » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:28 pm

Henry - You don't know what you are missing!!!!! :D

Miv - Hope your son sees the humour in it!!!! :roll:
Patricia

Postby Ernie Jackson. (Bunty) » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:19 pm

'Mickies' was a slang term for pigeons just after the war when daredevil kids would climb high walls of derelict, previously bombed warehouses.

The aim was simply to collect 'Micky' eggs from the nests up there and to be later displayed as trophies from this crazy past time. Several youths were killed when they slipped and dropped from this great height down to the bomb rubble below. Despite this danger the 'craze' carried on for several years.

Climbing electricity pylons and running in front of oncomigg trains were also 'chicken' type games.

Probably akin to the mindless 'chicken' game of today when kids run across the road to beat ncoming traffic and the winner being the last one who was nearest to being hit by the car.
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

Postby Patricia » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:32 pm

Let's also give the humble Pigeon credit for their valuable use in World War 1....................

Pigeons and World War One:
Citation: C N Trueman "Pigeons And World War One"
historylearningsite.co.uk. The History Learning Site, 16 Apr 2015. 1 Feb 2019.

Pigeons played a vital part in World War One as they proved to be an extremely reliable way of sending messages. Such was the importance of pigeons that over 100,000 were used in the war with an astonishing success rate of 95% getting through to their destination with their message.
Last edited by Patricia on Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patricia

Postby bjones » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:39 pm

Have a look at this Miv; your Steve might be a golden goose;

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... ese-bidder
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
bjones

Postby Patricia » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:45 pm

Bee - Don't be getting her blood pressure up, I believe she said
the pigeon she has is a " a 'Tippler,' a domesticated pigeon trained for endurance flying.
much smaller than racing birds."
Had to show off my acquired "pigeon" knowledge - okay *'ll get my coat!!!! :D :D
Patricia

Postby miv donelan » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:09 am

Bee, when I read your post, I was tempted to take Steve to our local Chinese takeaway, but I didn't want to risk buying him back for Friday evening supper :roll: We have no idea where he goes during the day, but suspect he pays a visit to the near bye conservation area to feed with the ducks.

Patricia, I'm so glad you didn't have to wait for quiz night to use your "pigeon knowledge" It goes to show, it pays to be prepared. :D
miv donelan

Postby bjones » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:57 pm

Great knowledge Patricia, and Miv I wouldn't fancy crispy roast pigeon either. :shock:

Steve's a Tippler…. I might have found out where he disappears to each day...….

Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
bjones

Postby Patricia » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:20 pm

No wonder he couldn't locate his former abode!!!! :D

Patricia

Postby miv donelan » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:00 pm

Bee and Patricia, I think you may have hit the nail on the head, my son and daughter in law keep a well stocked bar, he must have followed his nose. I love the cartoons, they're hilarious, and well suited to Steve, it sounds odd but he's definitely a character.
miv donelan

Postby henry » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:00 pm

Did you mean he followed his beak
henry

Postby henry » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:08 pm

Steve's been quiet
Has he flew the nest
henry

Postby Patricia » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:02 pm

Miv - I second Henry, miss the comings and goings of "Steve!"
would love an update!! x
Patricia

Postby miv donelan » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:00 pm

Henry and Patricia, I was bothered that continued reports of Steve might have gotten too much for the forum. He is still happily ensconced with the family. He has his own shelter outside now, and doesn't seem interested in being indoors any longer. He still goes off and returns when he's ready. The strangest thing is that he walks along behind Finlay (the dog) when he's out in the garden. It's the funniest thing to watch. Fin keeps turning round to look at him, Steve stops, then carries on when the dog walks away. It reminds me of playing "what's the time mr wolf" when we were kids. I only hope it's never dinner time. Having Steve has also taught our twenty month old great grandson to be gentle with small creatures, baby Leo only ever strokes him with one finger. Amazing for such a rough and tumble boy. He's still a big hit with all of us, and also thankfully, the neighbours.
miv donelan

Postby Silver-Haired-Hippy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:07 pm

Always enjoy reading this thread! love it! keep it going Miv!! :D :D
We have two wood pigeons who have been coming every year to nest in a tree in the garden, but alas, the tree had to be cut right back as it was much too big, they have not nested this year but come into the garden many times during the day and tell us off and do walk abouts! Hopefully next year they will nest again. Obviously we recognize them from the other wood pigeons who pop in!!! :wink: :lol: :lol:

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
Silver-Haired-Hippy

Postby miv donelan » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:17 pm

Thanks Loretta. I also get a fair amount of wood pigeons. I only have bushes and shrubs, so no nesting ones, just hungry. Nothing exotic ever visits in spite of the variety of bird food. Dozens of sparrows, they gather in the overgrown holly bush, the noise they make is deafening, haven't got the heart to cut it back because of them, anyway, it keeps the local moggie's at bay. Also blackbirds, messy starlings, why do they scatter the seed far and wide, and one beautiful robin that puts its head on one side as if it's listening to what I'm saying. Steve has brought a lot of pleasure to the family, what's more, he seems to know it. Everyone around knows him, it's odd that his rightful owner never showed up, despite efforts to locate him, we're not complaining though.
miv donelan

Postby Pootle » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:40 pm

Well I would say that Steve has found himself a lovely home with you!

He's obviously taken a knock to the head which has put his homing skills out a bit. As you say that you have been told what often happens to 'racers' who injure themselves, I would think that that even if you manage to trace Steve's owner, the same fate may befall him. Leave him be and enjoy his company.

And in the meantime, why not listen on You Tube to 'The King of Rome' by The Unthanks (it's about a pigeon entered into a long distance race).

Regards
Pootle

Postby Patricia » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:47 pm

Miv - Steve, in my opinion, has been a #1 Hit on the Forum with his
various escapades. Please continue to keep us enthralled as to his activities as
I really enjoy reading about them!! :D
Patricia

Postby Shelagh » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:49 pm

https://youtu.be/y97SXJR8cVo
Beautiful, inspirational piece of history....
(enjoyed King Of Rome by Unthanks) also like this version :)

Thanks Miv for recent update :D
Shelagh

PreviousNext

Return to Chat about anything with the Bootle Bucks