Found this recipe which is similar to the one I use
although as my Mum did, I prefer to use Bisto or Bovril
to add for flavoring and color.
700 g stewing steak, cubed
1 pinches salt and black pepper
2 tbsp plain flour
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, cut into 1cm pieces
2 cloves garlic, crushed
350 ml red wine
800 ml beef stock
1 bay leaves
225 g potatoes, peeled and quartered
3 large carrots, cut into 1.5cm cubes
1. Season the beef with salt and pepper, and coat with flour.
2. Heat a large saucepan over a medium heat and pour in the olive oil. Add the onion and cook for 2 minutes, before stirring in the beef and garlic. Seal the meat on both sides - about 1 minute.
3. Pour in the wine and reduce by half - about 5-8 minutes. Add the beef stock and bay leaf and simmer for 30 minutes.
4. Tip in the potatoes and carrots, and continue to simmer gently for another hour. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
5. I also add cubed swede/ turnip and also celery
6. Serve the scouse steaming hot in bowls with crusty rolls.
I Always have to have either pickled cabbage, pickled beets
or pickled onions with the scouse.