Last Tuesday in Brisbane 3rd October, still only five weeks into spring it got to 35 degrees C. So naturally we switched on the air conditioner and went into the fridge for a cold glass of water. The bottle of water was cold all right but the fridge light didn't come on. I thought it best to go check the power board and as I approached I could smell the burning. One section of the board had burnt out before the safety switch kicked in. I called the number stuck on the side of the board, this was the electrician who had done some recent work. All I got was a message bank asking to leave a message and he would get back to me. I left a message, gave him an hour and decided to ring someone else. The next people came out within 30 minutes and checked the fridge and declared that it was fine but the bad news was the switchboard under the house (60 years old) needed replacing. The long and short of it was that the came out today and replaced the switchboard, checked all the house wiring and we now comply with current Queensland regulations so I can sleep tonight. The sad news is that it cost me $A7000 and it is not covered by insurance. At least I have my house and all possessions and the only thing I've lost is $A7000. Tonight I am celebrating not with a cold glass of water but with a cold glass of wine.
Anyone else living in and old house with old electrics it might pay you to get them checked.
Born in Walton Hospital, lived in Bala St and then Bowden St Litherland. Now in Brisbane Australia