Classical music

Join in here with our very own Bootle Chatterbox...
filsgreen

Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:36 am

Well obviously this thread is going the way of many others. I'll try one last post to enthuse members to contribute their favourite pieces of music. This isn't classical in the classical sense, but it is a classic. I hope you enjoy it.

https://youtu.be/VHJ3iZpfBRI
Invicta

Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:01 am

You get some great classical concerts on the cruise ships. Not always with the full orchestra but one or two per day about the ship..
When I was in Finland I was force fed Sibelius so not really bothered since. If you can dig out “ Finlandia” you’ll know why :wink: Ken
Dan

Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:33 am

Sibbo's 5th has always been a favourite, and you can't beat Brahm's 4th racket (h/t to Basil Fawlty).

If you download Spotify's free service ( you have to put up with some adverts) you'll have access to all the music you could wish for, and you can make your own playlists- far easier than making mixtapes.

Fave's include Samuel Barber's Violin Concerto and Gang Chen's Butterfly Lovers' Violin Concerto - I got that on the Marco Polo label when Dillon's was closing down its' Music Department .It used to be run by Phil Gilchrist (LibDem Wirral coucillor). Bought loads of stuff there.

Another favourite haunt was Rushworth's, got lots of New Age music there, early 80s. It's where I first came across Mark Isham.

Still got loads of cassettes,( you still can't beat analogue) that I bought after the classical labels over expanded in the late 80s - early 90s; the tapes were going for next to nothing; Byrd, Tallis, Taverner, Ockeghem- lots of church music.

Now I've got to go upstairs and find the albums/composers I've forgotten to mention- other than Beethoven, Beethoven and Beethoven.

Regards

Dan