The Telly

Join in here with our very own Bootle Chatterbox...
Invicta

A new series of Unforgotten has started on ITV.
We watched a couple of episodes on iPlayer, it looks promising even without Nicola Walker as the main detective. K
Bernie R

We watched episode 1 last night Ken. Didn't know it was all available on ITVX.

Hope Sunny stops being so stroppy as we move on! Found him quite annoying last night.

Bern
Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
Invicta

ITV player I meant Bernie, we don't get X.
There seems to be 4 threads running, seemingly unconnected but the link becomes clear in Episode 3.
Sonny does seem to resent the new DCI but sure it will come good. K
Bonesy

Really enjoyed Unforgotten the other night apart from Sunnys lip tripping him up :lol:
It was a bit confusing with all the other storylines but at least it wasn't boring.

Keith
ALAMO2008

Bonesy wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:14 am Ken and Al if you've got a spare usb port on your tv, its worth investing in an
Amazon fire stick. A 4k one will give you the best quality at around £40-50
Dead easy set up it will give you not only itvX but countless other channels, music and apps all for free.

Keith
Cheers
Got one last May 2022
Brilliant has improved my TV viewing and streaming. Unlimited Channels
ALAMO2008

Tried Streaming the USA TV Series - The Equalizer
Was very Dubious when I saw Robert McCall had become Female- Robyn McCall

But have just watched 2 Episodes a day of the Ten Episodes of Series One

I was Very Impressed and Entertained at each Episode

The Plots and Scriptwriting was Excellent

Very Watchable !
Invicta

Watched the rest of Unforgotten, well worth sticking with it.
Amazing what the Cops can learn from phone and bank records with diligent research. K
Invicta

Managed to catch the movie " All quiet on the Western Front" on Netflix.
Quite gruesome but very moving, wrong to say I enjoyed it but we'll worth a watch. K
Bernie R

Saw that a couple of weeks back Ken - very harrowing, but deffo worth a watch.
Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
bjones

Invicta wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:19 pm Watched the rest of Unforgotten, well worth sticking with it.
Amazing what the Cops can learn from phone and bank records with diligent research. K
Watched the rest of it last weekend and agree Ken; well worth a watch.

Meanwhile in Emmerdale Paddy is still suffering.... :cry: :cry: :cry:
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
Bernie R

Last episode of Endeavour last night. Kinda lost its way recently with all this ongoing story about establishment cover-ups, but still enjoyable TV.

For a change, we actually watched it live - never again, so frustrating having to sit through all the ads!

Will miss it - especially Roger Allam's old-school copper, Fred Thursday.

No spoilers in case anyone is yet to view, but a lovely touch right at the end.

Bern
Bonesy

While mum and dad are away celebrating son in laws 40th birthday we are childminding our 3 granddaughters at their house hence we were subjected to watching, dare I say it Love Island last night
Shock horror I hear you say but..... we quite enjoyed it, probably knowing that it's the final tonight and we won't have to watch it ever again.
The girls actually heard me mutter
" good god she's nearly wearing that" :lol: :lol:

Keith
bjones

Keith you should have averted your eyes; you'll have a heart attack!
Love Island is another of a long list of progs I've never watched.
Did however watch Unforgotten and the Bay all the way through on Xthingy.

Did the same with Endeavour and yes Bernie, "lovely touch at the end" brought me to tears.
There was another prog about the making of the series (can't remember what it's called) which I also enjoyed. I'd previously had no idea that Shaun Evans is from Liverpool but his natural accent is quite obvious. Shouldn't have been surprised though; Irish & Welsh names = proper scouse! :lol:
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
Invicta

We saw the documentary on the last ever Endeavour ( Morse & Lewis series).
Endeavour, Shaun Evans, has a really nice Scouse accent in real life. His lost love, Miss Thursday has a Scottish accent.
Great acting, a favourite of ours. K
Bernie R

Used Easter Monday PM to catch up on some TV recordings.

Finished third series of Grace. Good stories but, for me, always ruined by big dramatic 'Hollywood' endings.

The Bay. We'd only seen up to episode 2. Sat through episode 3, started episode 4 and switched it off. Just couldn't put up with the wooden performances from the entire cast.

Great Expectations. Only saw the first episode but streets ahead of The Bay. BBC sure know how to do those Dickens shows. Impressive.

Bern
Invicta

Enjoyed Grace, Bern, some good actors on the team. Great Expectations pending. K
bjones

Watched Grace series through to the end and have already almost forgotten what the story was about other than his wife isn't dead.
Similar feelings about the Bay.
Been trying to watch the Agatha Christie thing this week but have fallen asleep before the end of each (recorded) episode. Not sure if it's down to the silly incredible plot or my post gardening exhaustion. But have to say (again) that I'm getting ever more annoyed with TV companies making an hours telly out of ten minute story lines.

Corrie is getting on my nerves now; as villains go Stephen is the rubbishest (if that's not a word then it should be) I can ever remember. Even Emmerdale is annoying at the minute.
Thank goodness Masterchef is back :D
Bee

Bernie R

We did 2 more Great Expectations last night so are up to date with the Sunday broadcasts.

It's definitely a more gritty take on Dickens than we're used to - that said, it's from Stephen (Peaky Blinders) Knight, so to be expected I suppose.

Probably not for the Dickens purist (as IMDB scathing reviews will bear out) but still a great production (IMHO).

Bern
Invicta

We caught up with The Bay, finished it but it was hard going. So slow, they really dragged it out and we knew who was the baddie from episode 1. K
Bernie R

Well don Ken - you have more perseverance than me to see the Bay to the end.

Unsure if anyone followed the historical serial 'The Last Kingdom' that started out on BBC then moved to Netflix for the last couple of series.

Netflix have just dropped a Last Kingdom movie to end it all - Seven Kings Must Die.

Watched it last night and really enjoyed it. That said, it seemed a bit rushed as , with some character development, it could easily have been fleshed out to a mini series 6.

If you watched the series, the movie is a must-see.

Bern
Invicta

Just caught up with Better, very good but they dragged the life out of it. K
Bernie R

I've watched the last 5 (of 6) episodes of BBC's BLUE LIGHTS over the last couple of nights.

Thought it was great, and I'm happy to hear a second series has been commissioned.

Bern
Invicta

Seen the first one Bernie. Her Ladyship wasn't keen but we have them recorded.
Managed to see a MidSommer Murders we hadn't seen last night. We binged on them during Lockdown so I thought none to see.
Donald Sinden, George Cole ( Arfur Daly) and Samantha Bond were in it with John Nettles as DCI Barnaby.
Ken
bjones

Invicta wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:28 pm Just caught up with Better, very good but they dragged the life out of it. K
Think we gave up after the second epi Ken. I repeat; I'm fed up with them making an hours telly out of 10 minutes story line.

Bernie, thanks for heads-up about the last Kingdom... but I won't be sharing that info with Harry until we've finished the work on our garden. If he finds out about it these broken ribs will be "troubling" him until he's watched it all!

Meanwhile Corrie continues it's crusade to spread the word about various social issues; currently raising awareness of M.N.D. and the issue of non-consent sex.
Oh for the days of handbags at dawn between Ivy and Gail or Hilda's "muriel" and flying ducks on the wall :(
Bee

Bernie R

Coincidence re Blue Lights, Ken.

I watched Ep1 when it actually played but it was recording anyway. I stalled from watching further eps until Barb had seen Ep1 - by which time 3 had been aired.

Like Janette, Barb not impressed so I happily ploughed on without her.

Think you'll notice a difference in the others - first one was a bit manic.

Bern
Invicta

Knocked another couple of episodes off last night Bern. Would have done another but we were first up on MOTD😂
Paul McCabe

I can fully recommend Michael Portillo's "Coastal Train Journies"......BBC 2 ....Tuesday 23rd May...6.30pm.

'Liverpool to Blackpool'......get it on Iplayer......most of the programme is dedicated to Liverpool with tremendous drone photography.

Blackpool's WW2 history is also fascinating.

Great series, slick & professional.

Cheers

P
Paul McCabe

I can fully recommend Michael Portillo's "Coastal Train Journies"......BBC 2 ....Tuesday 23rd May...6.30pm.

'Liverpool to Blackpool'......get it on Iplayer......most of the programme is dedicated to Liverpool with tremendous drone photography.

Blackpool's WW2 history is also fascinating.

Great series, slick & professional.

Cheers

P
Invicta

Have watched on Netflix, eight episodes of The Diplomat.
It's about a newly ( novice ) US Ambassador appointed to London.
It moves along nicely and is quite funny in parts. Worth a look in my opinion. K
Bernie R

A mate recommended that one to me Ken. When I looked it up there were 2 versions. Think one is UK and the other is US. Which one have you been enjoying?
Invicta

We only had one choice Bern.
Keri Russel was the lead.
Out tonight for the footy will see if I can find it later. K
Invicta

Bernie, Janette reckons the first episode was called The Cinderella Thing.
Hope that helps, again, only obdurate version on our Netflix. K
Invicta

Don't know where obdurate came from
Only one version on our Netflix.
Bernie R

Thanks Ken

As an aside, has anyone else been watching the BBC documentary about the troubles - Once Upon A Time In Northern Ireland?

Really good documentary - well worth a look.
fatboyjoe90

Yes, I watched the troubles, I could add a little bit more, but I won’t there’s still loads that hasn’t been mentioned about it, and never will be. I did three tours of NI, 1969 1970, 1972, so i know what i'm talking about. :x :x
Cheers Joe.