The Telly

Join in here with our very own Bootle Chatterbox...
Invicta

He's been a bit naive in some of his dishes Bee but would love to try his place. :D Ken
graham01

i watch most of my telly on my kindle in catch up form(busy in the garden till its goes dark).my faves at the moment are TAGGERT and i have just watched the first series of AUF WIEDERSEHEN PET on uktv app(yesterday section).last night i watched the first two episodes of sseries two.great show ,just as good as when it was first made.graham, :D :D :D
origin waterloo.present and future bootle.
Shelagh

Didn't see Phelan at the awards Dorothy, but not surprised by the snazzy suit and hat,
read somewhere that he's a working artist, paints portraits, has a studio in Plymouth, says that customers get a shock when they see its him, some wanting to knock his block off :lol:
shows what a good convincing actor he is..Connor (Phelan) reveals that the character eventually gets his comeuppance :shock: watch this space!!
bjones

Phelan's comeuppance can't come up soon enough for me :twisted: :lol:
Well Broken finished last night on an uplifting note. All rounded off nicely. Was good to see Phil Davis had a part amongst what I thought was an excellent cast of actors.
The Loch is becoming my favourite drama now, Fearless gets ever more far fetched and don't get me started on Ripper Street (why isn't there an emoji for "yerr..... rite!")
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
Invicta

Hi Bee,
Going back to GBM, Paul Askew did excellent stuff but his dishes were considered too traditional and safe. Looked pretty good to me mind :D Ken
bjones

He's certainly regarded as the number 1 chef in Liverpool Ken. He was a partner in the London Carriage Works for a long time before he broke away and opened The Art School. Not been there myself - it's one of those wide open dining rooms that are so poplular now - but the kids have been over for the tasting menu and were impressed. Not cheap for a Liverpool restaurants but nothing that'd shock anyone used to prices down your way.

Nearly forgot to say, about Ellis; we must have been within minutes of his place in Newborough Anglesey a few months ago when we walked through Newborough Forest - one of those if we knew then what we know now things :(
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
Dan

From The Times September 30 2021.

Obituary of actor Michael Nader - Dex Dexter from Dynasty.

bjones

As possibly the only woman of my age who never watched Dye-nasty I have no idea who he was but RIP Michael Nader.

and thanks Dan for resurrecting this thread,
We've still got lots of recorded progs to catch up with after our hols so would appreciate other's opinion of what's been good over the past couple of weeks and which progs we shouldn't bother with.
My first priority was catching up on my beloved Corrie and Emmerdale. I whizzed through Corrie as nowt much and watched all of Emmerdale hoping that Maniacal Meena would reappear but no such luck!!!

Any Opinions on Martin Clunes' Manhunt??
Bee

Bernie R

Watched the first two episodes last night Bee and hope to do the rest tonight.

Good performance from Martin Clunes - did you watch the first series? That was good as well.

Talking of recent telly, interested in fellow BB's views on Sunday's series finale of Endeavour - it totally lost the plot for me!
Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
Glenys

Martin Clunes....brilliant. Also 'Help' with Stephen Graham and Jodie Comer (sp?)

The submarine "Vigil", was worth watching, though the last episode was a tad disappointing.
Lived Linacre Lane, Trinity Road & Knowsley Road.
bjones

Thanks Bern and Glen.
Bernie, I can't remember if I've seen the first series, there have been a few really good fact based "murder hunt" type progs in recent years - In Plain Sight (with the brilliant Martin Compston) and the Pembrokeshire Murders to name just two and I get them a bit mixed up :oops:
Glen; thanks for Heads; I'll get it on Catch Up
Bee

Bonesy

"Help " was simply brilliant TV and should win awards.
"Vigil" was very good but a bit tedious at times.
Obviously all down to opinion.

Bee, haven't watched Corry for five years or more
Pantomime springs to mind 😁😁😁
Is Annie Sugden still in Emerdale FarmπŸ˜€πŸ˜€

Keith
bjones

Keith , I think Annie died in Spain a few years ago. And yes, some of the acting is dire and the storylines seem to echo one another but for me Corrie and Emmerdale are like kicking my shoes off when I come home. Comfy and easy to watch/listen to. I don't like telly, music or food that hurts; no hot curries or heavy metal for me and I can only take intense drama in small doses. :cry: We've still got Time recorded waiting for me to feel brave enough to watch it.
Bee

filsgreen

I used your be of the same opinion about Corrie, Bee, but I haven't intentionally watched it for ages. However. My mum still watches both Corrie and Emmerdale religiously. It's usually on when I'm there and I think Corrie is just a northern version of Eastenders, so miserable and hardly any laughs. Oh for the days of Hilda, Jack and Vera. 😁
bjones

I think Corrie is just a northern version of Eastenders,
Oh Phil! May the good Lord look side wards on you :shock:
Surely Eastenders is a cockney version of Corrie! :lol:

I didn't watch Corrie or Emmerdale until I turned 50 so perhaps it's an age thing :P But good to know your mum's accepting visitors, sounds like she's getting over her terror of the virus.
Bee

filsgreen

Thanks Bee, I've been visiting her right thought the Covid-19 crap, she's still moaning, I mean going strong. 😁

You misunderstood me, Corrie has gained the premise of the miserable barstewards from Eastenders, who've got faces like a smacked arse, 95% of the time.
Glenys

:lol:
Dan

filsgreen wrote: ↑Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:31 pm I used your be of the same opinion about Corrie, Bee, but I haven't intentionally watched it for ages. However. My mum still watches both Corrie and Emmerdale religiously. It's usually on when I'm there and I think Corrie is just a northern version of Eastenders, so miserable and hardly any laughs. Oh for the days of Hilda, Jack and Vera. 😁
Pre-dating Hilda, Jack and Vera.

Episode 3. December 16 1960. 25 minutes 11 seconds. Script writers with an ear for dialogue.

My mum watched religiously from the start.

Knew it was Ivan Cheveski in The Rovers before Linda and Elsie walked in. The stuff you remember. :roll:
Dan

From The Daily Mirror. October 8 2021.

"EastEnders viewing figures hit a low of 2.9 million on Monday - attracting a smaller audience than quiz show Only Connect.

The soap was beaten in the 7.30pm time slot by Victoria Coren Mitchell's quiz show, which attracted 3.1 million viewers while

a documentary about Welsh traffic police on ITV attracted an audience of 3 million
."

Sometimes the public just gets things right. :)
bjones

Dan, not surprised that progs on the way out, I watched it years ago for a while and it just depressed me.

Watching Emmerdale l still remember Keith's comment ;
Bee, haven't watched Corry for five years or more
Pantomime springs to mind
Every time Mean Meena or Awful Al just happen to be in the right place @right time eavesdropping ... can't help shouting out "he's behind yoooo" Still watch it though, it's part of my DNA now :lol:
Bee

Dan

Didn't have a clue as to what was most popular, so I checked.

The top 50 watched programmes for November 8 - November 14 are shown below.

VOSDAL means "viewed on same day as live".

Bernie R

Looking forward to this one...

Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
bjones

Bilbo Baggins is a scouser? Who knew? :lol:
Looks a good one Bern.
Looks like the next series of Peaky Blinders is coming so that's another one to look forward to.
Btw I eventually summoned up the courage to watch TIME; absolutely brilliant telly.

Watched Angela Black recently, what a disappointment!
Bee

Bernie R

We gave up on Angela Black.

Seem to do that with a lot of the ITV dramas as they often start strongly and quickly go off the boil.

Bern
Bonesy

Is right Bern.
Although we saw it through, Angela Black left me dazed and confused πŸ˜• :D :D

Keith
Bernie R

Hollington Drive was another ITV series that we abandoned.

Good cast - lousy story.

Bern
Bernie R

Some great stuff available just now.

The tragic tale of Anne Williams and her campaign for justice was superb, - there is a separate thread about 'Anne' so I'll say no more.

Have watched 2 of the 4 episodes on 'Four Lives' and been very impressed - well worth a look if you've missed it. Hoping it maintains its quality in the last 2.

Haven't yet caught up with the other new BBC drama 'The Tourist' yet but that looks good - anyone seen that one?

We gave up after the first 2 of BBC's 'The Girl Before' as it was far too slow and incredible (the latter in the literal sense).

Peaky Blinders coming soon too - woohoo!

Bern
bjones

Thanks for positive report on "Anne" Bern. I've recorded it. I really have to pick my moments for such intense emotional progs so it'll be a daytime viewing all in one go so I can see it through to the end long before bedtime.
We watched all last 3 epis of Four Lives all in one go thanks to ("thingy??") and you can rest assured that it maintained the quality thro to the end. Excellent coverage of a true case. So good that last night's prog about the actual case held no surprises, just showed up lazy police work.
Yep, Peaky Blinders; can't wait!!!
Bee

Bernie R

Oops - I thought Four Lives was a four parter.

Looking forward to watching the finale later.
Bernie R

Happy to agree with Bee. 'Four Lives' was a brilliant series.

Anyone watching it should afterwards look on iPlayer for 'How police missed the Grindr killer' for a 45 min documentary that gives insight. Also shows how good the casting of 'Four Lives' was for most of the actors/characters.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p ... ndr-killer

Mentioned 'The Tourist' above. BRILLIANT!!! Barb and I binged all 6 over 2 evenings and really enjoyed it. Lots of offbeat humour wrapped up with the drama. Anyone who enjoyed the first 2/3 series of Fargo will love it.

Next target is 'Stay Close' on Netflix.

Bern
Bernie R

Stay Close was good, not fabulous, but worth a viewing. Given local knowledge and location spotting, it was funny seeing cast members travel from Blackpool to Formby via the Runcorn Bridge :lol:

Did all of series 3 of The Bay - don't think the new leading lady is as good as Morven Christie was in first two series. Think it's a bit weaker without her.

Saw part one of Trigger Point - ITV's 'explosive' new drama - and will deffo be back for more.

Not seen any of The Responder yet but aiming to catch up on the first two episodes tonight.

What's everyone else up to, TV wise?

Bern
bjones

Watched first couple of episodes of The Bay; I can't remember what the plot's about so thank goodness for the updates they show at the beginning.
Watched Trigger Point; so far so good.
Watched Responder. Don't want to spoil it for Bernie or anyone else who's recorded it but will say that acting from Martin Freeman and a couple of others is "sound laa" :D
Overall feeling about these and many other progs at the mo is that the producers are stretching 20 mins of storyline to fit an hour of telly time :(
Bee

Bernie R

Your last comment is certainly true of The Bay, Bee.
Invicta

What do you think of the Scouse accents in the Responder ?
Martin Freeman sounds good to me but I'm exiled for 46 years.
Ken
Glenys

Ken, We thought it was sound!!