LFC - talk about Liverpool Football club here

Join in here with our very own Bootle Chatterbox...
henry

Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:21 pm

Very interesting Ernie a lot of facts that you wouldn't think of it makes you think what a part of your life your team takes up :P
HENRY BORN FLORIDA STREET OFF STRAND ROAD
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:32 pm

Dead right Henry.

Newer members might not know I have been an Evertonian forever. Maybe this thread will forgive me if I go on to say that I signed for Liverpool in 1954 (Anyone know who the manager was then....without Google) and later, after a bad injury, I became a referee and supervised games at both Anfield and Goodison in later years.

I could certainly relate some tales about those happy days of yester-year??
philrob

Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:46 pm

Eddy - I think you were right about Lovren - he certainly is starting to show some class now! :)

Ernie, was the manager in 1954 a bloke named Ron Welsh!
Philrob

Western Australia
Invicta

Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:41 am

Spot on Eddy. I think Lovren is better without Sktrtl as when they play together, Lov is the junior partner and as both like to dominate there is hesitancy on occasions.

Thanks Ernie, that's a neat programme.

:D Ken
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:34 am

One good thing about being a ref those days was that you could spell the names. I believe its easier now as their number is used instead. :D :D :D :

Philrob. You are a true Liverpool supporter....that is the first time ever that someone had the right answer....well....nearly,,,it was Don Welsh.

We trained at Melwood and I remember a guy called Jackie Balmer coming down Mill Lane with his boots tied around his neck by the laces. No Mercedes in those days and being a lesser player I got 7/6d which was wonderful just for playing football.

Another question then....what famously happened to the club in that same year???
Invicta

Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:52 am

We went into the wilderness that season , Ernie. Started my Anfield visits in old Division 2.
Then came Shanks, Paisley etc and the Glory Years and sooo many trophies to follow :wink:
Eddy Lloyd

Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:56 am

I remember them in the second division watching from the boys pen
henry

Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:07 am

Ernie I think most of our forum members may have missed your link on the previous page before it changed to this page as it was the last one on it before it updated
philrob

Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:26 pm

Ernie,

Thanks for the compliment - "You must be a true Liverpool supporter" - I am indeed and so proud of the Reds. :)

Jackie Balmer actually married into my family tree somewhere. His wife was one of those cousins about two or three times removed that makes up the outside leaves on a tree.

I was bought up in Parkhurst Road, Norris Green. The bloke opposite named Mr Owens worked for the Balmer family - something to do with glass I seem to remember.

It was a good street incidentally because two doors down lived Sammy Leach, the first real promoter of The Beatles. Three doors down the other way on my side lived Joe Royle. :(
Philrob

Western Australia
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:38 pm

That's right folks...Liverpool were relegated that year. Serve them right for signing an Evertonian.

In these days of modern equipment maybe we should remember the four bits of grass at Anfield, one in each corner of the pitch, and the water in the goalmouth which ground staff tried to clear with garden forks.

This might all contribute to the fact that I never, ever, got the ball past the centre line from a goal kick. Footie boots were all the same colour too. (and we were allowed to call them black).
Invicta

Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:25 am

I wonder which team will turn up tonight . If Allardyce plays " Alehouse " league football we'll struggle again. C'mon Reds, end the year on a high . :D Ken
Eddy Lloyd

Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:04 pm

They are struggling at the back with injuries so he has to play Benteke. Let's hope we have the same work rate we played the other day and it should be three points :)
henry

Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:11 pm

Put my money on for us to win 3-0 at 14/1(BUYING MONEY) and hope i havent put the mockers on it :P :P :P
Invicta

Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:13 pm

Jeez Henry. Hope it works. :wink: Ken
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:58 pm

At 14-1 it must be worth a punt.

LFC are an enigma of the Premier League so this game could have any of a myriad of results. LFC can beat anyone....problem is that anyone can beat LFC.

Come to think about it---on away form anyway---the same might well apply to Everton.
Invicta

Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:27 pm

Good result, sorry about the score Henry but Happy Days :lol: Ken
Invicta

Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:08 am

Another decent performance from Lovren but the Frenchman worries me :roll: Ken
henry

Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:17 am

henry wrote:Put my money on for us to win 3-0 at 14/1(BUYING MONEY) and hope i havent put the mockers on it :P :P :P
Ibe missed a sitter hitting over the bar and Benteke missed a one to one one with only the goalie to beat :cry:
Eddy Lloyd

Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:18 pm

Scruffy win but three points away from home :)
Invicta

Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:20 pm

West Ham match on BT Sport tomorrow lunchtime. :wink: Ken
henry

Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:27 pm

Invicta wrote:West Ham match on BT Sport tomorrow lunchtime. :wink: Ken
3-0 :P (BUYING MONEY)
Invicta

Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:40 pm

One day you will be in the money Henry. Hopefully tomorrow. :lol: Ken
lily8

Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:16 am

Fingers crossed Henry BTW this week will see a Liverpool Legends side playing in Sydney including wait a mo I will get the list

Liverpool FC Legends vs Australian Legends

Gerard Houllier will lead the official Liverpool FC Legends side including Steven Gerrard, Jamie Carragher and Ian Rush into action at the Sydney ANZ on January 7 for a clash with the Australian Legends.

The match marks the high-profile debut of the Australian Legends side, which will feature Brett Emerton, Tony Popovic and Robbie Slater.

Houllier said: “It will be a very proud moment to step back into the dugout to manage the Liverpool Legends team. I’m very much looking forward to working with some of the best players in the club’s history, some for the first time and some not.

“But getting back out in front of the LFC fans will be the most special – wherever you are in the world their support is incredible and will make this game a really special experience.”

Gerrard added: “It will be great to play with the official Liverpool FC Legends. The squad looks like it’s a great set of lads, it’ll be good to get on the pitch with them. Our fans are the best and to play in front of them again will be emotional, I’m sure.”

Liverpool FC
Coach Gerrard Houllier

Steven Gerrard, Jamie Carragher, Robbie Fowler, Ian Rush, John Arne Riise, Luis Garcia, Sander Westerweld, Fabio Aurelio, Igor Biscan, Gary McAllister, Bruce Grobbelaar, John Aldridge, Patrik Berger, Stephane Henchoz, Vladimir Smicer, Jason McAteer, Dietmar Hamann

Australian Team
Coach Graham Arnold
Asst: Ron Smith

Mark Bosnich, Zeljko Kalac, Tony Vidmar, Tony Popovic, Craig Moore, Scott Chipperfield, Alex Tobin, Stan Lazaridis, Ned Zelic, Craig Foster, Mile Sterjovski, Brett Emerton, Robbie Slater, Jason Culina, Ante Milicic, David Zdrilic, Steve Corica
Lily
Invicta

Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:47 am

Some of those we could use today Lily, some not.
Surprised that Liverpool's most famous Aussie's don't appear on either side, Craig Johnson and Harry Kewell ! Mind you Kewell was an earlier version of Sicknote Sturridge so he's probably on the injured list. :roll: Ken
Invicta

Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:38 pm

Rubbish first half. Every one name ending in O has been poor, Benteke is invisible and Ibe is a one trick pony today.
Lovren & Can have been halfway decent but overall pretty grim against a nothing special WHU. :|
Hopefully Jurgen throws a few hair dryer at half time.

Just a note about the dry weather at Upton Park, we are 30 miles due South of there and it's Lashing down here!! :roll: K

Two O's off at 60 minutes. Firmino's shirt had not a bit of mud or fleck of grass on it :oops:
Brunnyboy

Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:32 pm

You must be a rich man Henry if you can keep wasting your money on an average team
Invicta

Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:40 pm

Macca said "Jurgen's last throw of the dice bringing on Joe Allen "
WE'RE DOOMED ! :oops:
bob. b

Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:54 pm

:D :D :D :D Ken remember have :D :D :D :D :D mate
Fa :lol: :lol: :lol:
Invicta

Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:05 pm

Plenty of that Bob but already I've broken two resolutions by swearing and drinking in January. Both in the last two hours for some reason :lol: K
fatboyjoe90

Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:10 pm

One of the worst displays I've seen from a Liverpool side since the old 2nd division days. I wouldn’t let anyone of those players who went onto that pitch today wear the red shirt again. (I know we wore white today) :evil: :evil: We need 11 new players that will show what it means to wear that red shirt, and wear it with pride.
Cheers Joe.
bob. b

Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:19 pm

Ken just hang on :D :D :D :D
Invicta

Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:07 pm

Invicta wrote:Macca said "Jurgen's last throw of the dice bringing on Joe Allen "
WE'RE DOOMED ! :oops:

WE'RE SAVED ! Balotelli's coming back :lol:
graham

Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:56 am

Got up this morning at 4.15a.m. to watch yet another disgusting show put on by a leaderless (on the field) Liverpool. I am starting to lose faith in Klopp, I know it is not his team of players but surely a team of Liverpool's standing must have players that are better or at least on a par with formino and Benteke is the latter some relation of Baloltelli. Do we not have anybody on a par with Joe Allen. It would be wise, I think to give some of the younger (reserves) players a chance, one at a time, at least they would give 100%. At present we do not seem to be able to pass the ball with any accuracy or the intendant recipient stands and waits for the ball to reach him and the opposition player nips in and gets it. Lot of talk about getting a new goalkeeper, I would worry more about the rest of the team. Two things I am glad about, I did not pay to go to London to watch them and I am not a Villa supporter. Hope they do better against Stoke
Brunnyboy

Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:45 am

no local lads in the team most players only care about the wages not about the fans no passion in the players
graham

Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:59 pm

You are so right brunnyboy. A lot of so called players spend a lot of time feigning injuries, Moreno for one, whilst he was rolling around in agony West Ham went down the wing and scored. I may be old but I think some players spend more time in the barber shops and tattoo parlours than on the training fields. People say it is only a game, I know this but I still felt like crying into my eggs and bacon watching the West Ham game (started here at 4.30a.m.)