Picture of the day - bernie johno

Join in here with our very own Bootle Chatterbox...
bjones

Won't let me in Patricia :(
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
BossHogg

A friend has made me a mask for work. 👍
filsgreen

Pinched this off Facebook

Patricia

Matt - Wanted to let you know that the "Hummingbirds" have returned - I took your advice and placed the feeder in the same spot I originally had it in - Also the lovely "Golden Finches" are also having a "Ball" with the "Seed Bag!" I purchased at Lowe's! :D

Mack
Site Admin

Happy Father's Day

Bernie R

Mack :lol: :lol: :lol:
Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
Patricia

Enjoyed a lovely day out yesterday with Janine, we first went to the British Shop for our Goodies and then went on to the "Grey Goose" outside dining You first put in the name of the restaurant on your cell phone and the menu comes up and you place your order eventually a server came out with gloves & face mask and gave us our order complete with plastic knives, forks ,plastic water glass and serviettes. It's like you are in an Alien world!!! Things have changed so drastically.
Here are some of the goodies I was able to purchase - most of the sweets, etc are for the Grandchildren who love the English choc and sweets! My purse was a whole lot lighter with the expense of the goodies but I'm happy!!!!! Janine also surprised me with this Darling Cup with which I'm now going to enjoy my morning "Tea Break!" :D

Shelagh

Sounds like you you enjoyed your day out, Patricia, can’t beat aunt Bessie’s Yorkshire Puds, or good old British confectionery, not sure about the dining experience, think I’d have preferred to munch on the crunchies 😋
The girls will be delighted with that lot 🍫 🍬 🍭
Our grandchildren’s other Grandmother is on a visit from Newcastle, she’s been going on about a trip to TJ Hughes, don’t know what she’s expecting, but today she gets her wish, off to TJ’s it is, just hope she’s not too disappointed 😬
Elaine Goulding

Patricia...….. yummy...…… I love all what you have bought. If I had all them in my house I would not be able to wait very long until the girls arrive, I would have to eat some.....like you I just love cadburys chocolate :D :D
Elaine

Bianca Street, Bootle - moved to Canada 1982
bjones

most of the sweets, etc are for the Grandchildren
I believe you Patricia :wink: :wink: :lol:
Cup's fab btw
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
Patricia

:D :D Well, Bee, That's MY story and I'm sticking with it!!!! :D
Ernie: Your garden looks immaculate such lovely photos I'm staying with the "Over Crowded Look" very popular this year, I hear!!! :D

It appears everything it flowering at the same time i.e: Hostas, Calla Lilies & my Orange Lily.......
Imagebetta fish betta fish care
Patricia

Giggle for the Day..........

filsgreen

Silver-Haired-Hippy

Couldn't get it to play Phil :cry:

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
Bernie R

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
filsgreen

Look at the heading, Loretta. :D
Silver-Haired-Hippy

Must be missing something, I still don't get it!!! :roll: :D

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
filsgreen

Did you get peed off pressing the button, Loretta? :D
Silver-Haired-Hippy

:roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
bjones

Took me a minute too Loretta... I'll GET you Philly Greeno! :evil: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bee

filsgreen

Heres a view of the cathedral, not many people will have seen, unless you've been unlucky to have waited for an MHA tribunal.

bjones

Errrr Phil, what's MHA?
Bee

Patricia

Bee - If you are unfamiliar with MHA imagine an oversea individual's dilemma!!! :D :D
Often, I have no idea what a lot of the abbreviations mean. :D

Saw this on Facebook a while ago and decided to give it a try for breakfast this morning -
quite enjoyed same. Consists of Banana, Yogurt, Blueberries, Strawberries & Granola. I believe
for younger children half would be sufficient,
filsgreen

It stands for Mental health act, Ladies. The tribunal sits to decide if the patient has to remain on their section, in order for them to be detained against their wishes.
Matt

Our granddaughter Kalika's husband Chad (a logger) doing a favour for a neighbour by taking down this VERY tall Western Red Cedar.Took him quite a long time because his industrial size chainsaw was up at the logging site nearly 3 hours away so all he had was an eighteen inch bar saw.He had to limb it first then "top" it(take the first skinny 20 feet off in sections) before he could fall it.No houses or gardens were harmed in the operation :lol: :lol:

Matt
Elaine Goulding

Matt, I could do with him at my house. The trees are taking over at the back. Am just waiting f9r an estimate from a neighbour! before I do anything.
Elaine

Bianca Street, Bootle - moved to Canada 1982
bjones

filsgreen wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:00 pm It stands for Mental health act, Ladies. The tribunal sits to decide if the patient has to remain on their section, in order for them to be detained against their wishes.

Sooo did you win your case Phil or are you still sectioned? :lol: Sorry it's that gallows humour again :oops:
Bee

filsgreen

:lol: :lol:
Patricia

Matt - Your Son in Law was certainly doing his neighbour a favour - it would cost about $1,000 to have a tree that size cut down here.
That is why I still have my two huge ones i.e Pine & Beech Trees in my back garden. :shock:
Here the Grandchildren enjoying themselves in Lake Tahoe..................
Matt

Your granddaughters are certainly going to be heartbreakers when they get older Patricia.Kalika and Chad(my grandson in law..not son in law :) :) ) live about 5 minutes away from the Cowichan River and go tubing down it quite often.Kalika has a pink unicorn tube and Chad's is just an old logging truck tire innertube but lately with all the rain we have had and a very early snow melt in the mountains the river is flowing very fast plus Covid 19 so NO tubers.Know what you mean about how expensive it is to get large or dangerous trees taken down.One of our large Gary Oaks had to come down and it cost $1500 but it was VERY big and we have not got a wood burning fire place so we gave all the firewood away.I could not have split it anyway just getting much too old to play with chainsaws, splitting mauls and axes :cry: :cry:
Not one case of the virus in Cowichan Lake and the whole of Vancouver Island has not had a case since May 6th but did get one last week.An American tourist on his way to Alaska so he said.You cannot get to Alaska from Vancouver Island.The US/Canada border is closed except for US citizens going directly to Alaska not taking a one week layover on Vancouver Island :evil:

You were planning on catching some rays floating down the Cowichan River this summer, or maybe catching a celebrated crooner at the Sunfest Country Music Festival, think again.
The Town of Cowichan Lake on Vancouver Island swells in the summer with tourists eager to ride a rented tube down the river or attend one of the two popular music festivals — Sunfest and Laketown Shakedown — thrown in the community every year.
This is exactly what Mayor Rod Peters wants to avoid this year.
The festivals were cancelled by organizers because of COVID-19 safety measures and recently town council passed a motion to shut down river tubing this season.
"We are of the idea in our small community that we are going to protect ourselves," said Peters in an interview on CBC's All Points West.
Sunfest Country Music Festival and Laketown Shakedown are held annually in Cowichan Lake and will not be happening this year due to COVID-19. Both events plan to return again in 2021. (Sunfest Country/Twitter)
Peters said on any given day in July or August there can be up to 400 people coming into town to rent river tubes and that means the parking lot where they pick them up would be too packed for customers to practise safe physical distancing.
"We have to do this in order to stay safe and get through this pandemic," said Peters.
Matt
Patricia

Matt - Many thanks indeed for your lovely comments on the Grandchildren. Much appreciated.
Now, I have a question for you, although I have had some success with the return of the Hummingbirds it now appears I'm feeding ( "Wasps?) who have decided the nectar is something they enjoy as well. Have you any idea what I can do about this problem. The ant suggestion worked with the petrolium jelly now THIS!!!! UGH!!!
Sorry it is somewhat blurred but they didn't like me getting too close to them and I wasn't about to get stung!!! :D
Matt

Hi Patricia we have the same problem at the moment with wasps and hornets but it has somewhat eased after I bought two false wasp nests and hung them about two feet from the feeders.They look like Chinese Lanterns but are grey in colour and as wasps/hornets are very territorial and it seems one nest has taken over your feeder but in most cases if another nest is near by(false or not) with a bit of luck it will solve your problem.Another thing we have used in other years has been to hang clothes dryer sheets (Bounce or Snuggle)close by but it tends to disturb the hummingbirds when the wind blows and it also looks quite untidy but we hung them in the back garden feeder area where no one could see :)
Matt
Patricia

Matt - Thanks for the tips - where do you get "False" wasp nests from? I will give the clothes dryer sheets a go though!!

This was sent to me, which I thought certainly deserved sharing....................

Just after 2am local photographer Greg Sheard managed to capture the stunning Comet Neowise over Liverpool Waterfront. What an incredible photo.
Matt

Hi Patricia,I bought the false wasp nests in the Walmart gardening section but I have seen them at different gardening centres here in Canada and also Home Depot but just make sure the dryer sheets are the "perfumed" ones.Hope you can get some respite from the wasps and you are able to enjoy the hummingbirds again.I have ant moats on top of my feeders but now the chickadees have decided that they are the perfect place to have a drink without having to fight off the redwing blackbirds in the bird bath :)
Matt
bjones

Thought you might like to see a pic of a prezzy from my bezzy Joy. We met at Salisbury Road Infant school and have been bezzies ever since.
In case the bit of card hasn’t helped to show up the writing the inscription says “Best friends are made in Bootle” .....and I said “How true”.
Bee