Picture of the day - bernie johno

Join in here with our very own Bootle Chatterbox...
filsgreen

Pinched from FB. Not my photo, courtesy of Droner Alert.

Bernie R

Always fancied getting my own version of this iconic shot and finally found the location this week - only for it to be marred by the scaffolding on the Palace of Westminster

Anyway, seize the moment as they say...

Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
Mack
Site Admin

This pic which has surfaced online made me chuckle after seeing Boris Johnson has opened his gob again.

Boris Johnson has been urged to apologise for "offensive" comments about Margaret Thatcher helping the environment by closing coal mines.

The PM said the closures gave the UK "a big early start" in the fight against climate change.

Mack :wink:
miv donelan

I'm with you Mack, every time he opens his mouth he spews out an offensive or ill researched statement. He clearly couldn't care less about the plight of the working class people in this country. I normally avoid commenting on politics because I believe everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but in the case of Johnson, and what he stands for, I'll make an exception. That picture speaks volumes.
COLLY

Mack
Site Admin

The world has gone mad.

Cannot believe what is happening in Afghanistan at the moment.

Terrifying for everyone living there with this happening. This may appear slightly inappropriate considering the circumstances, however consider this lot forming a band...

"OK guys! We are in charge now... Let's write a tune."

The Taliban Band

Patricia

Mack, It surely is devastating as to what is happening in Afghanistan but I wonder where the women are when I see photos of
mainly men at the airport!!!!! Also, I fear all the weapons that America provided to the soldiers in Afghanistan are now in the hands
of the Taliban!! Where is the element of "Fighting for your own Country" gone?

On a lighter note. Just returned from a happy, chatty, lunch with my "Brit Group" (first get together in a restaurant since last March,2020) It was
such a joy to see them again and of course catch up on each other!! We have already set a time and place for September to continue the familiar tradition!! :-)
Elaine Goulding

Great picture Patricia. You are looking well.
Elaine

Bianca Street, Bootle - moved to Canada 1982
bjones

Patricia, your first paragraph; my thoughts exactly :cry:
Love to see pics of you Brit Brides; wonderful how you've all stayed in touch and all looking great.

Elaine How good to see you joining in again... btw PM I've sent you hasn't cleared, is your inbox a bit full at the mo?
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
Patricia

Thanks Bee and Elaine for your kind comments. This small group is a "Spin Off" from the TBPA that closed a couple of years ago
and many of the members of the various Branches around the States decided to form their own little Clubs as we
hated to lose touch of each other after so many years.

Elaine, It certainly is lovely to see you posting once again - so very nice to have you back "On Board!"! xx
filsgreen

As to your first paragraph, Patricia, they were my thoughts for a while. However, i have since found out, the Afghans have lost 700000-100000 personnel over the past twenty years.

I don't want to besmirch the post, as its great to see all you ladies together, but let's spare a thought for all of the Afghan families who have brothers, sisters, sons and daughters over the years. Their courage cannot be brought into question.
Patricia

Phil, I certainly do not want to "besmirch" (nice choice, I love it) your post :D however, in my opinion it is a hopeless situation that could go on ad infinitum. The Russians tried and failed and it appears that the best thing is what is now being accomplished and leave the country to whatever becomes of it!! Over 3,000 American troops have lost their lives for WHAT!! leaving behind grieving families without even the benefit of a timely resolution to the whole matter and no end in sight!
BossHogg

Mack wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:40 am The world has gone mad.

Cannot believe what is happening in Afghanistan at the moment.

Terrifying for everyone living there with this happening. This may appear slightly inappropriate considering the circumstances, however consider this lot forming a band...

"OK guys! We are in charge now... Let's write a tune."

The Taliban Band

The guy second from the right has been trained correctly in weapons handling (probably former ANA) note the way the forefinger is in a place of safety across the trigger guard to minimise the chance of a negligent discharge(ND) 👍
BossHogg

No doubt the majority on here will score the full 15 like I did and I'm only 54 years young. 😆
Elaine Goulding

I guess I would come under the heading "Older than the hills" :( :( :(
Elaine

Patricia

Eileen - I would have to JOIN YOU!!! :D :D

Yesterday I returned from my Wednesday Line Dancing class having attended same with mixed feelings both happy & sad as our Teacher, Joy, is moving to Florida to be near her Daughter & Grandchildren and this was her last Class. I have been attending her classes for over six years ago and made numerous friends along the way. She is an excellent teacher and would recommend her anytime. This evening, we are giving her a send-off dinner with about 23 members attending. Here is her Wednesday morning class (w/a few missing) but she also has two classes on Monday, two on Tuesday & Wednesday both morning & night. all different levels. How she remembers all the dance steps is quite beyond me.
Patricia

Silver-Haired-Hippy

Sunny, warm and beautiful day! Obviously you are having a happy day too Patricia! :)

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
Elaine Goulding

Hope you enjoy your day Patricia :D
Elaine

Patricia

Many thanks for your lovely comments, Lorretta & Elaine!! xx

It appears it is "Back to School in San Francisco." Received these Photos today of the Grandchildrens' "First day" at their respective schools!!!! Twins going into Junior High and Talbot into her new school!!! Three to hug and best of all Three to love!
Cannot believe how time has flown since they first started school!!! How grown up they are now!!! xxx

Silver-Haired-Hippy

Beautiful girls Patricia, can hardly believe how quick they have grown up! :shock: I know you are very proud of them!

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
Patricia

Battle of Britain Day 2020 celebrations: 80th anniversary events taking place today!
Thought this was a truly lovely photo to show on this particular Day!!
A Typhoon above the White Cliffs of Dover!
(Will never forget the beautiful sight of the "Cliffs" coming back from Germany to visit Family)

Imagelive betta food for sale

[
Silver-Haired-Hippy

Fantastic photo Patricia! :D

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
Bonesy

Taken by a friend who has a farm in Lydiate, from her farmhouse bedroom window this morning.

Keith
filsgreen

Great photo, Keith, very atmospheric. 👍
Silver-Haired-Hippy

Wow, just awesome Keith! Peaceful and calming.

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
Bonesy

Thanks guys. It reminds me of the cover of a Genesis album. Bernie might know which one I mean. :D

Keith
Patricia

Thought this was a good laugh.................

Bernie R

Bonesy wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:28 pm Thanks guys. It reminds me of the cover of a Genesis album. Bernie might know which one I mean. :D

Keith
Wind & Wuthering mate - a fine album it is too

Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
Bonesy

That's the one Bern, my first and favorite Genisis album.

Keith
Bernie R

Had a great night at The Phil last Saturday mate - Steve Hackett played the entire Seconds Out double live album; superb it was too.

Bern
Bonesy

Nice one Bern.

Keith
filsgreen

There are loads of great acts performing at the Phil over the coming months, reasonable prices too. The standout one for me is Dionne Warwick.

We went to see Dial M for murder on Tuesday at the Playhouse. Wasn't impressed, as usual they have to add unnecessary sexual inferences. The guy was like an octopus all over Margot, just not needed.

In the second act, the inspector arrives and does a double take at Max, who was played by a black man, then he refused to shake his hand??? The best was, because an ex Strictly winner played the main character, he did little dances in it.

Why they think classics have to be messed around with, I don't know, Hitchcock must be turning in his grave watching it. I saw it in 1987 in Jersey, by their am dram society and it was far better.

Here is the Echo review.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-o ... e-21570253
Bonesy

Phil, we saw Dionne Warwick at the Phil a few years ago. She hobbled on stage in a leg brace having broken her leg a month or so before.
Although her voice was superb and as good as ever she came across as very much full of herself.
It all went downhill when she started slagging off Cilla Black. This as you can imagine didn't go down well with a Liverpool audience. She was booed for probably the first time ever.
She had a right gob on. And all this over Cilla covering her "Anyone Who Had A Heart"

https://metro.co.uk/2019/12/04/dionne-w ... -11267661/

Keith
filsgreen

I've heard Dionne's criticism of CB's version of Anyone who had a heart, Keith. Dionne said something like "if she had have sneezed on the record, Cilla would have copied her."

Why Dionne could not accept that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, is beyond me. It may have been because Cilla had stolen her thunder, by releasing her version two weeks before Dionne, which resulted in a better chart performance.

However, Dionne can take comfort from the fact she is a worldwide superstar, whilst Cilla was only really popular in the UK.