The Christ Church Bench

Join in here with our very own Bootle Chatterbox...
Bonesy

Chris Webster from the Bootle and Sefton History Facebook page has asked this question.

I've been meaning to ask about this for ages but keep forgetting.

This bench is at the base of Christ Church tower facing down Merton. I don't know the local history forum referred to on the plaque and it's undated. Anyone know anything about it?

I have sent a detailed reply explaining when, how and why.
Chris included two photos f the bench and I have to say that it looks in a sorry old state. It is probably 4 years since I have it a couple of coats, and after seeing the photos I will set about sorting it in the next few weeks.

Many thanks to Chris Webster for bringing this to my attention.

Keith
miv donelan

Keith, that's really thoughtful of you to offer to restore the BB's memorial bench ( once again.) Soon after you organised the buying and installation, I had occasion to visit Christ Church. My sister-in-laws brother had died in America and was cremated before the family could arrange to get there. Having been married in Christ Church before moving to America, the lovely vicar there agreed to conduct a short service for Mikes family. Afterwards we went to our BB's bench and said a prayer for our much missed forum members. It meant a lot having somewhere to sit and reflect for a while. Thanks to Chris for contacting you. As you are the only person, to my knowledge, that's ever looked after the benches I'd like to say a big thank you for your offer to once again volunteer. I'm more than happy to contribute towards your expenses in carrying out this work.
Bonesy

Many thanks Miv.
There are still funds left over from the auction night
I will get it sorted out, I promise you.
Miv, Im happy that you were able to use the bench on that occasion for Mike's family.

Keith x
bob. b

Drove past yesterday flowers in the garden area look fantastic

Bobby
Bernie R

Nice one Keith.

Bern
Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
Mack
Site Admin

Good stuff Keith :)

Mack :)