Homing pigeon

Join in here with our very own Bootle Chatterbox...

Homing pigeon

Postby miv donelan » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:16 am

Help!!! Last weekend, a homing pigeon flew into a bedroom window, at my sons house. My grandson took him inside as it was dazed and making no attempt to fly. We fed and watered it, and kept it the utility room for the night. Next morning we took it outside and it flew off, when my son came home from work it was back. It has rings on its legs, the first mark is illegible, then four clear digits. The second ring is stamped GB. We have phoned, emailed and even spoken to a local man that has racing pigeons. The same response from all, they can't help without the full code. It's a truly beautiful looking bird, blue head and shoulders and the rest, snowy white. Somebody must be very upset losing him/her. There is no way we can keep it, although we would love to. Does anyone have any suggestions (please don't say putting him in a pie.) We can't just throw him out to fend for himself, especially in this weather.
miv donelan

Re: Homing pigeon

Postby Invicta » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:55 am

Good luck Miv, hopefully as the weather warms up this week it will fly off after a rest and the little holiday you have given him/her. :D Ken
Invicta

Postby fatboyjoe90 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:14 pm

Hiya Miv, Sometimes pigeons get lost or confused in a storm, but other times they just have a bad homing instinct and they weed themselves out of the flock and find somewhere else to live like your yard. :wink:
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Postby miv donelan » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:55 pm

Thanks Ken, I'd be happier if we could trace the owner though. I don't like the thought of it flying off and not knowing if it's safe.

Joe, what you describe sounds just like what's happened with my grandkids. They don't appear to be too keen on their coop. I can't get rid of them either.
miv donelan

Postby Bri » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:20 am

If you open it’s wings, sometimes the owners name and address is stamped on it, honest!
Bri

Postby miv donelan » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:07 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Bri, nothing there though.
miv donelan

Postby Invicta » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:54 pm

It might be chipped :D Ken
Invicta

Postby Invicta » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:32 am

What’s the latest Miv ? Has it moved in ? :D Ken
Invicta

Postby miv donelan » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:12 pm

I'm afraid not Ken. He goes out for a fly around but returns when he's hungry. The family have all grown very fond of him, but fear for his safety. They have a large dog whose now restricted to where he can go in case he gets wind of the intruder. We've left details and photos with local feed suppliers, and pigeon keepers but no response from either. It's far too cold to leave him outside just yet without shelter. Where's Jack Duckworth when you need him.....
miv donelan

Postby miv donelan » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:18 pm

I read your post as "moved on" Ken, instead of moved in. He's ruling the roost alright. He even has a name, "Steve" don't ask, our eight year old christened him.
miv donelan

Postby Patricia » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:53 pm

Miv - What a story!!! You must keep us updated as to "Steve's" activities it looks like
he/she? has decided to change residence and loves where it is now. My
house has been called the "Last stop before Purgatory" for all of the last stop animals
etc., over the years that I have been saddled with - Welcome to the Club!!!!! :D :D
Patricia

Postby Invicta » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:55 pm

miv donelan wrote:I'm afraid not Ken. He goes out for a fly around but returns when he's hungry. The family have all grown very fond of him, but fear for his safety. They have a large dog whose now restricted to where he can go in case he gets wind of the intruder. We've left details and photos with local feed suppliers, and pigeon keepers but no response from either. It's far too cold to leave him outside just yet without shelter. Where's Jack Duckworth when you need him.....

Maybe that’s the key Miv, stop feeding him, it’s obviously too cushy for him there.

We’ve got some frisky wood micks living in our Cherry tree, they never stop :oops: K
Invicta

Postby lynne99 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:51 pm

Invicta, What is a Wood Mick?
lynne99

Postby Invicta » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:22 pm

Pigeon Lynne, the edible type, the fat ones you might see in the countryside or rural gardens.
Not the scrawny, manky ones we used to see in the streets of Bootle as kids.

When I was working a Russian Timber ship in the Langton, many years ago, the seamen from the ship were catching the manky Dock pigeons for their pot. After a while the Dockers stopped them saying “ they’re our pigeons” :D Ken
Invicta

Postby bjones » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:11 am

Miv, have a look at this
https://www.rpra.org/stray-reporting/
the article recommends stopping feeding the bird once it's recovered or it wont continue it's journey home. It also mentions opening out the birds wings to check for an inked rubber stamp marking; I think this is done when the bird is in a race.

BTW Lynne; all pigeons are Micks or Mickies in Bootle, racing birds would be referred to as, for example, "the blue mick hen". The big fat grey ones in Ken's garden are, as I'm sure you know wood pigeons. The manky dock pigeons are known as strags … there you go, being the daughter of a fancier finally came in handy :D
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
bjones

Postby miv donelan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:55 am

Patricia, You sound just like me, a sucker for a waif and stray. At the outset, we did feed him and let him go, but it just came back. I know as Ken and Bee suggested that we should stop feeding "Steve" and he/she would fly off, but where to? If it doesn't find its way home anything could happen to it. Bee, we have checked for marks on its wings, we have reported the find to different online help addresses, but all say the same, without the first digit, which is illegible they can't help. The bird is beautiful, I wish you could see it, definitely not just a mickey. Bee, thanks for the new website address, I'll contact them and see if they can help. In the grand scheme of things, it's ridiculous to be fretting over a bird but I can't help it.
miv donelan

Postby Invicta » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:14 am

No pigeons or anything in our garden this morning Miv.
My Wife noticed a bird of prey in our neighbours tree, it could have been a kestrel or a sparrow hawk but by time I got my binoculars it had flown off.
Maybe they could get a plastic kestrel and put it where Steve returns to, it would certainly deter him from lingering :wink:
Cheers Ken
Invicta

Postby Patricia » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:11 pm

Don't be so mean, Ken, :D that bird has found a new kind home, at
least wait until the warmer weather arrives, after all, I'm still caring
for a darn Hermit Crab now going into the Eleventh Year!!!!! :roll:
Patricia

Postby Invicta » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:18 pm

I’ll tell you what’s mean Patricia,
This Summer I’m taking down their bonking tree, they are always at it!
Then they eat the Cherries, spit out the stones and crap all over my patio and garden furniture.
History, I tell you , history :D Kx
Invicta

Postby Patricia » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:26 pm

WHOA There!!!!! I was talking about the Pigeon. I know
what you mean I am having the same experience with
the Squirrels who dig up all my plants in the window boxes
and leave them and soil scattered all over the patio, plus getting
into and knocking things down but I still don't have the heart to do
anything to hurt them like some people I know. I do throw pine cones at them and
one had the cheek to start eating it right in front of me!!!! :evil:
Patricia

Postby Invicta » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:10 pm

They are on my hit list too, damned tree rats :wink: K
Invicta

Postby BOBHAMO » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:33 pm

Miv just keep it as a pet a box in the garden with corn they do need gritt
to digest , the bird unless its a young one would be no good for racing
and if you did find the owner he would sad to say neck it
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
BOBHAMO

Postby lynne99 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:14 am

I was going to say that, Bob. I thought I had better not though. Glad you did.
lynne99

Postby miv donelan » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:51 pm

Ken, it's not deterred by the families Vizsla, Finlay. In fact it appears to be the other way round. So it's either daft or a hard knock. I have been told what could happen if it's returned to its owner, we won't let that happen. It looks like a very young bird, so he may have a chance of doing what he was bred for. I sympathise with your squirrel problem Ken, I have bird feeders all over my garden but no trees, so we're not troubled by them. Patricia I did have to laugh over the pine cone episode, I can imagine your reaction. Thanks everyone for your input, I hope I can report a happy ending some day soon.
miv donelan

Postby Ernie Jackson. (Bunty) » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:03 pm

Hi Miv.

If you REALLY want to trace the owner, instead of taking on an immigrant yourself, it is a simple matter as you are only short on a single digit. So if you try the only ten digits available it simply means you only have to enquire ten different times. Surely only one person is missing his bird......Simples. You will make someone very happy and even find that the bird is not called Steve....more likely Abdul in this modern day.

From your various posts on this thread it seems you are very attached to the intruder and don't really want find the owner anyway :lol: .

On the other hand it could be a fortuitous happening as once we BREXIT it seems there is going to be a food shortage so Pigeon Pie comes to mind. (Tongue in cheek might be another option :D)
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

Postby miv donelan » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:16 pm

Ernie, of course you're right, I would love to keep him. Watching out for him returning after a spell of freedom is a great feeling, especially with his colouring, you can see him from miles away. However, to be kept in such a restricted space would be cruel, so would a meeting with Finlay. My son had tried the relevant digits with no luck. Today he realised that what we thought was a misformed letter on the ring is in fact a bird. It seems Steve's owners address is Northern Ireland. My son has sent an email tonight and is hoping for a positive outcome.

I have to say though Ernie, joking apart, I'd eat grass before I'd eat our feathered guest.
miv donelan

Postby Ernie Jackson. (Bunty) » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:14 am

:wink:

Hope it all works out. I understand completely.

When I was a kid we had a pet chicken but times were very different then. I wrote a poem about it and it has been on the site a few times already. Maybe this could be the right thread to show it again? :lol:
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

Postby Patricia » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:37 pm

Miv - This is turning into the makings of a newspaper story!!! Imagine if indeed
"Steve" was reunited with his original owner in Northern Ireland!!!!
Looking forward to continuing threads here..................
p.s You already have 682 views on the Forum which is a success in itself!! :D
Patricia

Postby Sheelagh Tequila » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:28 pm

686 Now Patricia........This thread is a hoot, the majority of us cant stand the things with their purple poo all over the place but I'm sure we are all wishing 'Steve' a long and happy life, any suggestions for names for his future Mrs. ..........All jokes aside Miv, you are good to be caring for him so well.

Sheelagh :D
Sheelagh Tequila

Postby Invicta » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:48 pm

PIGEONGATE :wink: K
Invicta

Postby miv donelan » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:11 pm

Just an update. I tried to post a message twice yesterday, but they were rejected, I couldn't work out why. There was no response to the email my son sent to Ireland, hopefully there may be a reply tonight. Meanwhile Steve is making himself very much at home. Do birds have character, he appears to have one anyway.
miv donelan

Postby Ernie Jackson. (Bunty) » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:45 pm

He is just an immigrant Miv. Free lodgings. Free food. He wont want to leave.

If you have no luck with emails you could always sent a message by pigeon :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

Postby henry » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:20 pm

Invicta wrote:They are on my hit list too, damned tree rats :wink: K

Rats with wings
HENRY BORN FLORIDA STREET OFF STRAND ROAD
henry

Return to Chat about anything with the Bootle Bucks