St Johns Road

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
Chriso

Jeff, what can I say. What a cracking article, and an even better photo of my gran and aunty. How were the others related to you. Richie.
Emly Street, Anderson Avenue now Edinburgh
Chriso

Jeff, the photo I posted of lad's. The one on the left is Paddy Gibbs, he was the baby of the Gibbs family. Richie.
Jeff

Chriso wrote:Jeff, what can I say. What a cracking article, and an even better photo of my gran and aunty. How were the others related to you. Richie.
Hi Richie glad you like article and photo of your nan and her sister Lily. The other two ladies in photo are Helen Porter nee Reeves 1909-1999 who married Tommy " Nish " Porter 1909-1955 who was your nan's and my grandad Dick Porters 1906-1952 brother. Other Helen Porter is Nish's daughter Helen Southern nee Porter born 1930.
cheers Jeff
Born Clifford St, lived Derby Rd, now Keble Rd Bootle.
Jeff

Chriso wrote:Jeff, the photo I posted of lad's. The one on the left is Paddy Gibbs, he was the baby of the Gibbs family. Richie.
Thanks Richie, I will add Paddys photo to my family tree.
cheers Jeff
gibbo1991

Jeff wrote:
Chriso wrote:Jeff, the photo I posted of lad's. The one on the left is Paddy Gibbs, he was the baby of the Gibbs family. Richie.
Thanks Richie, I will add Paddys photo to my family tree.
cheers Jeff
thanks jeff i am james gibbs my dad was aggies eldest son(james) if nanny gibbs was your great auntie,who was your dad? were you related closely to jack tracey and mary catherine.? regards james ... emily st ,derby rd hereford dr devon cornwall dorset zimbabwe cornwall wales cornwall oh running out of space
Chriso

Jeff,Lily was my gran's daughter, she is the Elizabeth in the newspaper report. Richie.
Chriso

james, I think Mary Catherine was G,Granny Porters sister. Regards Richie.
Chriso

Jeff, if you like Paddy's photo. If you look at both Bootle Village Pipe Band posts there are some photo's of Johnny Gibbs. Richie.
tipster

IF YOU SEARCH THIS SITE RE SAINT JOHNS ROAD, THERE IS A DIRECTORY OF EVERY ONE LIVING ST JOHNS RD, 36 IS LISTED AS THOMAS BRENNAN MARINER, IT WAS POSTED BY BOB HAMMO, HOPE IT HELPS
TONY
Chriso

Thanks Tony, will try and find it. Richie.
Jeff

Chriso wrote:james, I think Mary Catherine was G,Granny Porters sister. Regards Richie.
james, Richie is correct Mary Catherine Porter b.1898 was Aggie Porter and my grandad Richard Porters sister .
Also, my dad was Norman Yardley married my mum Mary Catherine Porter in 1953.
cheers Jeff
gibbo1991

Jeff wrote:
Chriso wrote:james, I think Mary Catherine was G,Granny Porters sister. Regards Richie.
james, Richie is correct Mary Catherine Porter b.1898 was Aggie Porter and my grandad Richard Porters sister .
Also, my dad was Norman Yardley married my mum Mary Catherine Porter in 1953.
cheers Jeff[/quote
cheers for that jeff i did know about the relationship between mc and gn porter but thanks for clarifying the rest. it is nice knowing you and i look forward to keeping in contact with you through the post and as i come up to liverpool fairly regularly it would be nice if my wife pat and i could meetup with you and yours. regards jim gibbs pensilva cornwall
kmc

Hello Dogsbody and all.
Sorry to have not been in touch.How the years fly.
Yes dogsbody,Tommy Smith Jnr was in 42 commando and stationed at plymouth.
After leaving the army Tommy moved to cornwall and became a river warden on the river camel.
He still lives in cornwall at Wadebridge.
Kev Mc.
Skegbyguy

My gran and grandad lived at 11 St John's road from 1951 until its demolition; they were Fred and Agnes Prout. They had 11 kids, my mum Jean being one of them. My mums best mate was Nelly Gibbs. She was mates with May Gibbs during the early 60s in Libya when both husbands were posted there with the army.
Sonoma

Skegbyguy
I remember the Prout family. I believe several were members of the Salvation Army. I remember Jean as she was a contemporary of my sisters May and Ann. Also remember an Ivan Prout (hope I remember correctly)
We lived at number 20 SJR
BOBHAMO

bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
GBayliffTurner

Sonoma wrote:I remember a Brian Turner who lived on Brasenose Rd about 50 yards up from St John's Terrace. He haqd a lockup garage. he moved to Trinity Rd area around 1964. He and I worked together in Lpool for a time at and Ins. office

This was my late dad who passed away in 2004. Yes he lived at 28 Brasenose Road until moving to 19 Trinity road, before getting married and moving to Formby in 1968 with my mum.who passed away this year. Have been trying to find out about his past. He always loved his motorcycles and cars.
Sonoma

Regarding Brian Turner
I remember him quite well. He lived with his widowed mother on Brasenose Rd and moved to Trinity Rd. He married quite late for the times (maybe40 yo?) He was in the army I believe
When I was a kid we used the gate of his lockup yard where he parked his car, as our "goal" for street football and the ball would often go "over the bar" into the yard which used to annoy him naturally as we sought to retrieve it
We were probably a pain in the arse for him
We later worked together at an insurance broker in Liverpool (my first job) and rode the train to Oriel Rd together. He had some great stories
I knew he had married but didn't know about children. I had probably moved to the USA before that (1970)
Great hearing from you
GBayliffTurner

Thanks for your reply. It's nice to hear stories of my late dad.

I can certainly imagine him being annoyed if a football kept going near his car, but probably more bark than bite!

He used to mention a friend and colleague who had moved to the USA when I was younger as I lived in Dallas for a while before heading back home to Formby in the 90s. I wonder if that was you.

Sad that all the houses are long gone as I would have liked to have seen were he had lived. He used to take me all over Liverpool, Bootle and the docks when he was working still in Insurance for Merseyside County Council in the 80s and despite moving out to Formby never forgot his home town of Bootle.

Thanks once again.
Mum.and Dad in 2004 a month before Dad passed away...
Sonoma

GBayliffTurner
Thanks for posting the photo
That is the Brian I remember except for the white hair of course.
A good man. RIP
GBayliffTurner

Here he is as a young lad on Brasenose Road with his mum, auntie, sister and cousin.

Sonoma

Photo isn't opening
Mack
Site Admin

NB: any old photos cannot be guaranteed to still be displaying here on our Bootle site with us using 3rd party hosting services for photographs.
GBayliffTurner

surestart

Davest wrote:I remember saving my pocket money and going to get a toffee apple from a house in S t Johns road, dont know the ladys name but you went around to the back kitchen where you would buy one, never tasted one that good to this day, does anyone remember the lady?
Regards
Dave
Mrs Gibbs
Dan

Two terms I have never heard used when talking about St John's and Brasenose Roads.

For the bottom of St Johnny - Snenton Dale, and for the bottom of Brasey - Carlton Hill. :)