Strand Road Fire Station

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
Peter

peter
Advanced Member
United Kingdom
27 Posts
Posted - 27 Feb 2006 : 19:57:50

I found the old photographs of Strand Road Fire Station facinating. My dad was a fireman there during the war years and retired in 1965. I have one photograph of him in the yard where we used to live. I would dearly love to see any other photographs of the station if any one should have any. Funny but when I look at those photos. of the station and the flats where we lived they look like absolute hovels yet back then we were considered quite posh. It's all relative I suppose. There was much poverty, and I mean real poverty, in Bootle in the immediate post war years.
Peter

Betty
Advanced Member
New Zealand
124 Posts
Posted - 27 Feb 2006 : 21:36:26

Yes, Peter, I agree there was real poverty in the 40s on top of that there was the rationing - food and clothes. Meat was a luxury - we had 'blind' scouse made with whatever we had. Still hungry? have a stale, grey crust to eat that was moldy - scrape it off and and spread with thin layer of National margarine (maybe jam if there was any) or maybe dripping if you were really lucky. Cakes, biscuits, sweets - what were they? But on the bright side, speaking personally - we were generally healthy and definitely not obese! And clothes - always second (or third) hand from God knows where. Shoes - holes in the soles - make an insole out of piece of cardboard - ok until it rained!
Yes, things were tough but it gave us a good sense of values later in life - today I still get a kick out of being able to buy NEW clothes & shoes!

peter
Advanced Member
United Kingdom
27 Posts
Posted - 28 Feb 2006 : 20:11:00

Hi Betty
Having read your reply re Bootle poverty, I was right, we WERE posh!!!

Peter

sheilagraham
Advanced Member
Australia
58 Posts
Posted - 01 Mar 2006 : 06:54:03

Originally posted by peter

I found the old photographs of Strand Road Fire Station facinating. My dad was a fireman there during the war years and retired in 1965. I have one photograph of him in the yard where we used to live.

My cousin's husband Mick Corrin was a fireman in that station...I can't recall when he retired, I feel it may have been after 1965. Do you know him? My cousin Jean lives in Maghull, I shall write to her and ask her if she has any photographs....sheila.g

peter
Advanced Member
United Kingdom
27 Posts
Posted - 01 Mar 2006 : 20:44:13

Hi Sheila
I can't say that I recall a Mick Corrin but if he was a serving fireman before 1965 he will know my dad whose name was Rowland (Roley) Davenport. He was a station officer when he retired in that year. Nice to hear from you.

Regards from Peter

42aitch
Average Member
United Kingdom
7 Posts
Posted - 02 Mar 2006 : 00:02:37

My late father-in-law George Simpson also served at Strand Road station, he had joined the AFS during the war and then stayed on after the war as a serving fireman. He was a driver and retired about 1970 or just before. Do you remember tne fireman having a Christmas dance in a room over a shop? at the corner of Marsh Lane/Stanley Road opposite Parrs in 1963?
I was 7 months pregnant that is why I remember it because I didn't want to go looking like that.
Eileen

henry
Advanced Member
United Kingdom
98 Posts
Posted - 02 Mar 2006 : 14:02:04

That club was the Old STANLEY SOCIAL CLUB before it moved to WASHINGTON PARADE.

henry
Advanced Member
United Kingdom
98 Posts
Posted - 02 Mar 2006 : 14:09:50

AS stated in another page my wife was born in the Fire station and her father was a fireman and lived in 3,PACIFIC ROAD which was part of Strand Road fir station.

peter
Advanced Member
United Kingdom
27 Posts
Posted - 02 Mar 2006 : 18:48:41

Hi Eileen and Henry
Thanks for the info on Strand Road Fire Station. I clearly remember attending Christmas parties in the fire station itself (a big room over the engine house). For the months leading up to Christmas some of the firemen used to make wooden toys in the workshop. I once got a scooter and it broke the first time I got on! I never went to a party any where other than at the station.
Henry, I remember the house in Pacific Road.It was just by the entrance to the yard. We lived at the station from around 1947 to around 1954. Perhaps I knew your wife because I have vague memories of the family who lived in that house. Did her dad die in a training accident?
Peter

henry
Advanced Member
United Kingdom
98 Posts
Posted - 02 Mar 2006 : 20:59:36

yes peter TRAGICALLY in the tower but you would not have known my wife as she was only 4 when she left but you may have known her family who were named BARWOOD and her father was named JAMES.

peter
Advanced Member
United Kingdom
27 Posts
Posted - 03 Mar 2006 : 14:45:38

Henry
Even though it was so long ago I remember that terrible accident very well. We all came home from school to be taken inside by our mums/dads and told the awful news. Prior to that we used to play in the tower swinging from ropes. I don't think I ever went inside it again.
I also remember the Barwood family and 'Jimmy Barwood'in particular. We were very lucky as all (well nearly all!) of the fireman were very kind to us. I seem to remember him 'kindly'.
Peter

sheilagraham
Advanced Member
Australia
58 Posts
Posted - 04 Mar 2006 : 00:24:38

Hi Sheila
I can't say that I recall a Mick Corrin but if he was a serving fireman before 1965 he will know my dad whose name was Rowland (Roley) Davenport. He was a station officer when he retired in that year. Nice to hear from you.

Regards from Peter
--------------
Hi Peter, Eileen and Henry...I have made notes of names and rather than write to my cousin Jean Corrin I shall phone her tonight..to see if she knows any of the names and if she has any photographs of the station...if so, hopefully her son will scan them to me....Shall keep you informed....sheila.g

sheila
Advanced Member
United Kingdom
33 Posts
Posted - 04 Mar 2006 : 01:05:40

this topic has sparked a memory for me that's lain dormant for over 50 years. i went to st james's with a girl who lived at the fire station, her name was daley cnan't remember her first name, we used to go and play in the yard there.
sheila

historybootle
Bootle Admin

sheilagraham
Advanced Member
Australia
58 Posts
Posted - 05 Mar 2006 : 04:44:45
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Sheila

Regards from Peter

Peter, Henry, and Eileen... I spoke to Jean last night and she remembered all the names that were mentioned on this list. She told me that Mick took over from Roley as Station Officer. She also remembered George Simpson and asked what was Eileens surname...I didn't have the computer in front of me and couldn't remember George was your father in law. Henry, she remembered the dreadful accident when Mr Barwood died. The funeral was the same day as my cousin Mary's wedding...Mick went to the funeral and acted as pall bearer then after funeral dash off to be best man at Mary's wedding. Jean is going to look for some photographs and hopefully her son will scan them to me. She isn't sure what pics she has of the station...she knows she has pics of when Mick was in a different county/town for a meeting of station officers. sheila.g

peter
Advanced Member
United Kingdom
27 Posts
Posted - 05 Mar 2006 : 10:32:42

Sheila, Henry and Eileen
Wow what memories this topic has rekindled! I think that I can now place George Simpson and he would definitely have been a serving fireman when we lived at the station . I must get up in the loft and sort out what photographs I have. Then I will have to get my scanner going.
Henry, the reason I mentioned a training accident was because when we lived there one of the firemen, I think his name was Mr Pitt, died whilst in a room full of either smoke or gas being trained in the use of a breathing apparatus. Again, I was only a child but I remember that day very well too.
Regards to all from Peter

sheilagraham
Advanced Member
Australia
58 Posts
Posted - 11 Mar 2006 : 11:36:04

Sheila, Henry and Eileen
Wow what memories this topic has rekindled! I think that I can now place George Simpson and he would definitely have been a serving fireman when we lived at the station . I must get up in the loft and sort out what photographs I have. Then I will have to get my scanner going.
Henry, the reason I mentioned a training accident was because when
-------
Peter, I have just been talking to my cousin Jean who told me she knew your mother...she isn't sure but thinks her name was Nell???
She also told me that Mick, as I have known him all these years, was named Bill....LOL....I, nor Jean, knows where Mick came from. Jean has very old pics of the station..men on wagons pulled by horses. Also one of Bill Corrin working on a fire truck....as soon as she finds them and someone with a scanner I will have them. I thought her son had a scanner but was mistaken....sheila.g

historybootle
Bootle Admin
199 Posts
Posted - 11 Mar 2006 : 16:42:40

Hiya, here is an old Bootle Fire Station piccy "Big Mick"... pic below...

Mack

peter
Advanced Member
United Kingdom
27 Posts
Posted - 11 Mar 2006 : 19:34:25

Hi Sheila
Yes my mum was called Nell, christened Helen. Sadly she died young in 1965, the year my dad retired from the brigade. Bill Corrin sounds familiar to me and I would love to see a photo to confirm my memory.
Great photo Mack. The dwellings in the background are where I used to live.
I have found a couple of pics going back to the 1950's, one at a Service at Christ Church with some firemen and the vicar (Mr Chipping I think??) and also one of firemen parading for inspection in the fire station yard. Once I get my scanner going I will send them.
Regards to all
Peter

sheilagraham
Advanced Member
Australia
58 Posts
Posted - 12 Mar 2006 : 04:35:42

quote:

Hi Sheila
Yes my mum was called Nell, christened Helen. Sadly she died young in 1965, the year my dad retired from the brigade. Bill Corrin sounds familiar to me and I would love to see a photo to confirm my memory.
Great photo Mack. The dwellings in the background are where I used to live.
I have found a couple of pics going back to the 1950's, one at a Service at Christ Church with some firemen and the vicar (Mr Chipping I think??) and also one of firemen parading for inspection in the fire station yard. Once I get my scanner going I will send them.
Regards to all
Peter

I am so sorry about your mum Peter...and I am sure Jean knows, she has just forgotten....I did mention that she had a better memory than me, but when I phoned her last week, for the first time in a year, I was shocked to hear her say that her memory 'is useless'...
Jean said, and I spoke to Billy her son about this, that she would send pictures to me somehow. However, I know I have pics of Bill taken in the 50s at family functions. I will dig them out and post them to you personally...cheers, sheila.g

peter
Advanced Member
United Kingdom
27 Posts
Posted - 12 Mar 2006 : 10:54:49

Thanks Sheila
Of course, my mum died after she and my dad moved over to Wirral so it's possible that they lost contact with Bootle friends. I shall look forward to seeing the photos. As for getting my scanner sorted my son has just phoned to cancel his visit because of the weather: we have just had a heavy (by our standards) snow fall and the roads are bad.I may have a go myself.
I shall look forward to seeing photos. of Bill.

Regards from Peter

n3ttl3
United Kingdom
10 Posts
Posted - 14 Mar 2006 : 18:49:24

Hello all, new here but have had fun reading the posts. I hail from Bootle, although live in Leicestershire now.

My Auntie Jessie (O'Hara, then Rowe) worked at the fire station from during the war up until the late 60's. Apparently when crews from outside Bootle were brought in to help during the blitz, she would stand on the running board of the engine and direct the drivers! Very Brave Lady.
She used to take me and my cousin to the Christmas parties there - It was weird because I was supposed to call her 'Mum' (Jessie never had any children of her own, I think all the nephews and nieces were enough to put her off)- was well difficult! We got smashing presents off Father Christmas, I think my mum still has a sewing box that I got! happy days!

Regards to anyone that may know me

Annette

peter
Advanced Member
United Kingdom
27 Posts
Posted - 14 Mar 2006 : 20:42:44

Hi Annette
I must have known your Aunt Jessie during the time I lived at the fire station. Perhaps you and I shared a jelly at one of the Christmas parties!
Peter

sheilagraham
Advanced Member
Australia
58 Posts
Posted - 15 Mar 2006 : 01:25:34

Hi Annette...and welcome. I don't know Jessie but my cousin Jean Corrin may...she lives in Maghull and I have been phoning her about some topics on this list. I saw that you went to Roberts School...I left in 1959 so I may know your sister..what is your surname Annette? sheila.g

n3ttl3
United Kingdom
10 Posts
Posted - 15 Mar 2006 : 13:25:07

Hi Sheila, my maiden (and best!)name is Carey. Our Jackie went to Roberts but my Brother Jimmy went to Orrell I think. By the time we moved up to masefield Crescent he had left school!

Annette
Hi Annette...and welcome. I don't know Jessie but my cousin Jean Corrin may...she lives in Maghull and I have been phoning her about some topics on this list. I saw that you went to Roberts School...I left in 1959 so I may know your sister..what is your surname Annette? sheila.g

sheilagraham
Advanced Member
Australia
58 Posts
Posted - 15 Mar 2006 : 23:53:40

quote:
Originally posted by n3ttl3

Hi Sheila, my maiden (and best!)name is Carey. Our Jackie went to Roberts but my Brother Jimmy went to Orrell I think. By the time we moved up to masefield Crescent he had left school!

Annette

----
When did Jimmy go to Orrell? I don't recall your name...when did Jimmy go to Orrell...? sheila.g

n3ttl3
United Kingdom
10 Posts
Posted - 16 Mar 2006 : 18:23:05

Hi Sheila, We lived in Carolina Street, so I presume he went to Orrell (he has passed away now, so can't ask him). He would have left in about 1956 - he was born in 1941

sheilagraham
Advanced Member
Australia
58 Posts
Posted - 16 Mar 2006 : 22:59:04

quote:
Originally posted by n3ttl3

Hi Sheila, We lived in Carolina Street, so I presume he went to Orrell (he has passed away now, so can't ask him). He would have left in about 1956 - he was born in 1941

He was three years older than me Annette, but I am in touch with someone who was in the same class as me...I shall ask him if he knows him...Remind me..where is Carolina Street? sheila.g Who has a daughter who borrowed the Liverpool Map book and didn't return it..:-)

henry
Advanced Member
United Kingdom
98 Posts
Posted - 17 Mar 2006 : 10:34:43

CAROLINA STREET RAN FROM THE STEPS GOING DOWN FROM STANLEY ROAD AND PAST APPLEBYS FLOUR MILL AND THEN PASSED ALL THE AMERICAN NAMED STREETS AND THEN UNDER THE RAILWAY BRIDGE TO BANK ROAD AND THEN IF YOU TURNED RIGHT IT WOULD HAVE BROUGHT YOU ONTO STRAND ROAD. THE NAMES OF THE STREETS WERE ,Jersey ,Florida, Nevada,Oregon.Delaware,Garfield,Virginia,Washington,Boston which was entirely demolished AND then there was 2places named Concorde and Albany also York Terrace and also Vermont Street.

peter
Advanced Member
United Kingdom
27 Posts
Posted - 20 Mar 2006 : 19:06:47

Hi everyone
I know that the Bootle Fire Station topic has been going for some time now so is it O.K. if I add to it? Over the weekend I was sharing a drink (or two) with a group of friends some of whom have or had relatives in Bootle. The name 'Icky the Firebobby' came up. Now I have often heard of Icky but have no idea who he was or where he came from. Some years ago I met someone who told me that his dad or grandad (I forget which) was a Bootle Fireman and was the true 'Icky the Firebobby' I think it is reasonably well known that the name 'Firebobby' dates back to the time when the same department provided a police and fireservice so the men had dual role. But does anyone have any ideas regarding 'Icky'?
By the way, I haven't forgotten the photos. I promised to post but had no joy with my scanner so will have to buy a new one.
Peter

n3ttl3
United Kingdom
10 Posts
Posted - 20 Mar 2006 : 19:41:10

Sorry Sheila, spoke to my mum yesterday, Our Jimmy went to St Marys! It was my Mum went to Orrell!

Jan
Advanced Member
United Kingdom
111 Posts
Posted - 20 Mar 2006 : 22:34:06

Hi,

If you go to the topic heading Miller's Castle and follow the instructions on there, you will get a photo of Bootle fire Brigade (no Date though)!

Jan
n3ttl3

Hi everyone
I know that the Bootle Fire Station topic has been going for some time now so is it O.K. if I add to it? Over the weekend I was sharing a drink (or two) with a group of friends some of whom have or had relatives in Bootle. The name 'Icky the Firebobby' came up. Now I have often heard of Icky but have no idea who he was or where he came from. Some years ago I met someone who told me that his dad or grandad (I forget which) was a Bootle Fireman and was the true 'Icky the Firebobby' I think it is reasonably well known that the name 'Firebobby' dates back to the time when the same department provided a police and fireservice so the men had dual role. But does anyone have any ideas regarding 'Icky'?
By the way, I haven't forgotten the photos. I promised to post but had no joy with my scanner so will have to buy a new one.
Peter

Hey Peter, I remember the 'knock knock' joke that went 'who's there'? 'Icky the Firebobby', the answer my mum and dad always gave was ' then sod off and go and put some fires out'!

By the way - Jelly at Parties - oh the memories!

Hope that helps?????????????? Annette x
Sheila Graham
Location: Adelaide, South Australia. Formally Fernhill Road, Bootle

Hey Peter, I remember the 'knock knock' joke that went 'who's there'? 'Icky the Firebobby', the answer my mum and dad always gave was ' then sod off and go and put some fires out'!

By the way - Jelly at Parties - oh the memories!

Hope that helps?????????????? Annette x[/quote]
----
My goodness....All these lovely memories, I remember that joke...Oh I do wish my family were still alive, they would love this....Ickey the firebobby...LOL....sheila.g
peter davenport

And all this time I thought Icky the Firebobby was a real person! And what about the man who told me his dad or grandad was the real Icky?

Peter D