knowsley road

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
BOBHAMO

Last edited by BOBHAMO on Fri May 01, 2009 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IanA

Great picture. I've not seen this one before. Any date? I'm guessing 1947.
King Tonka

Great pic as usual Bob,

Still recognizable, it hasn't changed much.

I remember when they got rid of the pre fabs, and the water was gushing out every where as they hadn't turned it off.

Cheers :)
Ed Davies

Great pic Bob my ggrandmother had a sweet shop at 106 Knowsley rd in the 1901 census are all the shops still their?
Ed
beryl

A great photo of Knowsley Rd I can remember it well also the telephone box to the left of the photo .
This was when we never had telephones in our home we would queue up and put our money in the slot when it was running out you would hear the pips,
if you stayed to long the next person would tap on the window.i

I lived in Gray St I can just see it in the background thanks for a lovely photo and happy memories of Bootle
paula j

i remember knowsley rd well and that phone box when the money ran out we'd push a lollie ice stick in the coin slot. :oops: :oops:
beryl

Also the clock brings back memories i all was looked at the clock on my way to school ,I think it was outside the chemist the name of the chemist escapes me at the moment also the prefabs in the back ground oh happy times. I think Costigans was on the right of the picture you could always buy broken biscuits from there.
sheila

Beryl

the clock was outside Fred Williams, he was next door to Chambers the hardware shop, and the other side was a bakers, with the sweet shop, then Fells the bike shop and lastly the chemists before the Queens pub.

Sheila :lol: :lol: :lol:
My family tree is full of nuts
Eddy Lloyd

Wasn't it called Normans the Chemist??
sheila

Eddy

wasn't Normans down by the winnie

sheila
My family tree is full of nuts
Eddy Lloyd

ye could have been Sheila.
Bootle Lad

Hi Eddy
Normans was under the bridge along from the Caradoc in Crosby Rd. Foxy's mam Peggy used to work there
Regards Ray
Arrived in New Zealand in 1964 to get away from the cold winters of the early 60's. Now residing in Pakuranga, Auckland.
daveowe

Sheila/Eddy/ Ray

There is still a Normans, Chemist in Walton Road not many Independants left nowadays.

Dave
Eddy Lloyd

Cheers Ray. I remember reading that in Ron Nixons book. Good old Foxy eh what a charachter he was. :D
Bootle Lad

Hi Eddy
I knew you would remember Foxy, he lived right opposite you in KnowsleyRd
Regards Ray
Arrived in New Zealand in 1964 to get away from the cold winters of the early 60's. Now residing in Pakuranga, Auckland.
Eddy Lloyd

Correct Ray. I was actually with Foxy when he jumped off the scaffold in Robinsons onto a pile of sand and his teeth went through his lip. :D :D
JULIA ARROWSMITH

were these the teeth in question :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

julia arrowsmith
Eddy Lloyd

Julia. :D :D :D
Bootle Lad

Nice one Julia
Hi Eddy I was there too, It wasn't funny at the time but now we can look back and have a laugh
Ray
Eddy Lloyd

Indeed we can Ray. Amazing how we made our own fun back then. Playing out till it got dark and my sister Jean singing at the top of her voice. "Eddy where are you me mams gonna kill you" :D Tick on the back yard walls in the entry at the back of Donald McCulloughs. Footy in Trent Street, cricket in the street, a six if it hit Robinsons wall without bouncing. And of course we had the docks, railways and woodyards for adventures who needed tellys and computer games back then. :D :D
Bootle Lad

Hi Ed
and if you dropped a catch on the pavement by Robbo's, you would blame the double decker for getting in the way, I remember once playing footy in Addison St and the ball went on to Knowsley Rd and the driver didn't stop and ran over the ball and bust it. Gerry Garvey and a couple of others followed it down to the terminus and pulled all the light bulbs upstairs and down and smashed them. What nice kids we were
Ray
Eddy Lloyd

Ray :D :D :D
DonDeeg

My Grandad lived in Collins St.
Born and bred in Lunt Rd.
Went to St George of England school.
Bootle Lad

Hi Donny
Did you know Ron Nixon.
I am sure he used to mention your name to me from St Georges
Ray Mears
gabbii1960

im making a short film
im making a short film about the second world war and im very interested about your knowledge of it :). I would be grateful for as much information as possible. Im building the project around bootle, specifically marsh lane. i would be grateful for any info and stories that you could send me.
DonDeeg

The name sounds familiar, but it's been a long time since St Georges..
Born and bred in Lunt Rd.
Went to St George of England school.
Mojo

the clock was outside Fred Williams, he was next door to Chambers the hardware shop, and the other side was a bakers, with the sweet shop, then Fells the bike shop and lastly the chemists before the Queens pub.

The chemist was Chrystoids. I used to buy my make-up there when my mum wasn't looking :wink:
maggie

Does any rember Kennerdays the shoe shop on the corner of little Moore street. Scotts was on the orther corner next ti Sid Fishal the tailor. My mother worked in the shoe shop for years, we lived in a prefab in the north park.
stevegrady

it was called chrystoids, my wife worked there early 60 s.mr hopwood the manager who lived over the barber shop, mr carruthers was the other gent my wife (to be )was maxine.
Eddy Lloyd

Bob is it possible for me to use that Knowsley Road pic for my book?
Lazza

sheila wrote:Beryl

Sheila :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hi all, long time since I've logged on. I trust you are all well.
Sheila, wasn't that "Chandlers" Hardware?

Bob, I looked at that piccy a long time. Thanks.
sheila

It was the Chambers who owned the chandlers, his mother lived in Eliot St and his future sister in law Iris worked there also. Can't be sure of his name but he and his wife had 2 sons one was called Robin again not sure what the other boy was called.

Sheila
graham

There used to be a barbers shop in Knowsley Road. I went there once for a haircut, it must have been late '56, anyway this guy did not have electricity in his shop. This being so he cut my hair using a comb and a cut throat razor. He then tried to disguise the fact he had made a mess of it and proceeded to try and set my head on fire under the guise of giving me a singe. Needless to say I never went therer again.
I like the wet cobbles and tram lines which were the ultimate death penalty for those of us who rode bicycles and latterly motor bikes
FrannyD

Hey Graham,
The name of that barbers was 'Braines' opposite the Gainey, next door but one to Reddings, I think. Sheila will know.
I only went there once, too, sat on a plank across the arms of the chair.
Cheers,
Frank.
Bootle Lad

Hi Sheila
The other Chambers boy was Brian. Robin and I were in the same class at Gray St and I often visited them in the shop, and I lived above the Launderette for a year or so in the 80s. My old mate Billy Cranhams mum Lily worked in the Launderette along with May and Betty. Did the Chambers not live above their shop
cheers Ray