Memorable Teachers

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
Joycen60

I was taught by Sylvia Draper in my first year at Netherton Moss A in 1957. I think she lived on Balliol Road. I am still in touch with her today and get a Christmas card each year!
Lived Olive grove- just in Bootle. Schools Netherton Moss A, Netherton Park and Bootle Girls Grammar
dannylewis

i remeber mr barry st monicas for all the wrong reasons .an im opinion an apsolute thug
dannylewis

in my opinion
Alan M

Bedford Rd School and Mr Knowles.Smashing teacher,big handlebar moustache and green sports car.Looked like some RAF fighter pilot but brilliant with us kids
alan
The best thing about being over the hill is that now I can have some fun and free-wheel down the other side. LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL.
M1G 1N3

When I was at St. James (37 to 41) all the teachers except John Clancy
were good but Steve Brown,Maths & Music,was special.
G.F.
val

Hi All
I remember Sylvia Draper as well from Netherton Moss, I always thought she was very pretty and elegant. I also have very unfond memories of Charlie Matthews from St.Oswalds, think he had been at Christ Church before that. Also very unfond memories of Miss Hough, Miss Ratcliffe & Miss Patterson from Bootle Grammar. My school days were the unhappiest of my life
Val
Maureeng

Hi everyone,I went to Balliol Road school and my favourite teacher was Miss Bobbe,she took us for sport and swimming,we also had Miss Taylor who took us for English,I swear she was an alcoholic,she used to have a bottle of gin in her desk drawer and she kept disappearing under the desk for a swig,come the afternoon she was off her face,her knickers fell down one day and she calmly stepped out of them and stuffed them in her handbag,the whole class fell about laughing,kids can be cruel can't they?Maureeng
Jimboy

My favourite teacher at St Winefrides in 1945 was Miss Joyce,a wonderful caring lady who got me through the 11 plus exam which determined my future to a large extent.She also paid for my first college blazer at St Marys Grammar.I loved her almost as much as I did my Mam. :)
My second favourite was Mr Edward(Ted) Rowlands who taught Chemistry at Balliol Road Grammar in early 1950's.I worked for him as a lab.assistant for some two years and he opened my eyes to the wonders of science.A wonderful man who acted in some ways as a father to me.
All should be so lucky to have such dedicated teachers so early in life.
Lived in Tudno St Bootle,now in Newcastle,Oz
dannylewis

is there any one out there with fond memories othe teachers of saint monicas. danny
silverfox3448

the only fond memory i have of the 'monnies' was when i left the place for good!!!, (not long to go now danny, don't forget to have one for me)
mneary
Pamsy

Sheila Graham wrote:
Jean wrote:There are two that stand out in my memory - Mrs. Fleming - Orrell Primary. Miss Pritchard - Netherton Moss. Had several good teachers after but, in my mind, none that matched the dedication and caring of these two lovely ladies.
-----
I remember Mrs Fleming...she was wonderful. The last time I saw her I was back in UK after five years away and had my daughter, who was two years old, with me. We had a lovely chat, she remembered me (and my mum). I remember thinking at the time that I hope Pamela gets someone as good as Mrs. Fleming...and she did. As for Miss Pritchard? Didn't she teach at Roberts Sec too?. I remember Miss Evans who scared the b'geesus out of me when I first met her, but she turned out to be one of the best. Miss Howard was also a great teacher from Roberts Sec. sheila.g
Yes I remember Miss Pritchard and there was Miss Woods at Roberts...Miss Evans was fine once you got to know her....
PAM KEEGAN BENICH
Keegan, Carruthers, Rigg, Copland, Lobb, Hough, Mee
born in Bootle
Dobbsyboy

Got a couple from diffrent schools I went to.....

Mr Stafford from St Lizzies, not a bad man but just unable to control his classes. Sister Francis, who absolutley put the fear of god into me for writing my letter "e"'s from "bottom to top" rather than the other way-vicious old mare she was! Mr Lloyd, or Action Man. Never could take to him. Miss Faulkner, who you just knew was a "happy-clapper" back then. Far too breezy and cheery when singing hymns.

The Wilfrids-ooohhhh! Mr Spencer for Chemistry, who nearly blew the lab up one morning, along with himself and the class. Mr Lloyd, a vindictive, vicious art teacher whe beat the crap out of me for moving some boxes in an art lesson-b******d! Mr Stevens, the sports teacher, anyone remember him? I'm still trying to forget him...

Mr Forshaw was my absolute favourite though. The only teacher I actually liked or respected, but like I said before on previous threads, a monster if you crossed the line with him.
Pamsy

Dobbsyboy wrote:Got a couple from diffrent schools I went to.....

Mr Stafford from St Lizzies, not a bad man but just unable to control his classes. Sister Francis, who absolutley put the fear of god into me for writing my letter "e"'s from "bottom to top" rather than the other way-vicious old mare she was! Mr Lloyd, or Action Man. Never could take to him. Miss Faulkner, who you just knew was a "happy-clapper" back then. Far too breezy and cheery when singing hymns.

The Wilfrids-ooohhhh! Mr Spencer for Chemistry, who nearly blew the lab up one morning, along with himself and the class. Mr Lloyd, a vindictive, vicious art teacher whe beat the crap out of me for moving some boxes in an art lesson-b******d! Mr Stevens, the sports teacher, anyone remember him? I'm still trying to forget him...

Mr Forshaw was my absolute favourite though. The only teacher I actually liked or respected, but like I said before on previous threads, a monster if you crossed the line with him.
Hey Dobbsy...was laughing my head off over this....funny what we remember in teachers....and sad we can only name like one or two that were good teachers...most of us taught ourselves and back then I thought Libraries were the answer to it all....read a book you can learn grammer....want to be informed research it...want to know what makes people click study them...then decided who you wanted to hang around with...
PAM KEEGAN BENICH
Keegan, Carruthers, Rigg, Copland, Lobb, Hough, Mee
born in Bootle
oriel55

Balliol Road School

Best teacher ever for me was Mrs Riding the Art & English teacher. She told me me things I have never forgotten, things that have helped me always. A straight talking, honest and wonderful person who I never managed to thank properly

Second best teacher - Mr Riding, husband to the above, Science teacher who helped me, and many others, overcome my/our of maths. Patient, calm and helpful always.

Cannot forget Mr Williams the English teacher who was a fantastic person and teacher.

Never forget Mr Elliott the headmaster. Long suffering soul who did his utmost for us all with very limited recources. A gentleman.

Thank you all
jean eaton

Hi Danny and Silverfox, I when to St. Monica's church not school, Was Father FitzPatrick there when you went to school. I remember Miss Turner and Miss Brewster from my school.
Lucyjay

I remember Father Fitzpatrick very well. We were terrified of him and when you went to his 'box' in confession, he used to lift the veil to see who you were......

As for teachers, my favourites were Miss Benyon and Miss Bradley in the juniors and Miss Holt and Miss Burke (I think they were both in the infants downstairs). Terrified of Miss O'Neill and (Bulldog face) Miss O'Connell, others weren't too bad. Our head in the juniors was Sister Carmel but I can't remember who was in charge when I was in the infants, I know the top class was Miss Doyle (again another of the old school) who was firm but fair
Born in Kirk Street, brought up in Bootle
Babsm

I went to, salisbury rd, then gray st, then St George, my form teacher was my mum's geography teacher....Mr Lacey.

Also had head Mrs Adams, Dept Mr Bruce, Mr Oakley, Mr Wynnjones.
Miss Johnson, to name a few...left 1974, my mum left about 1952

By the way, i'm new here, Lived shelley st, now cambs.
nice site.
Pass it on, or it's lost
jean eaton

welcome Babsm, I am new myself isn't this a great site,Jean
Brunnyboy

hi babsm iwent to the same schools as you left the same year as you are you on this class photoImageBACKHughes, Janet Mollenoxe, June Johnson, AlanSize, Keith Mutch. MIDDLE ROW - Peter (Whacker) McQuade, Ray Willams, Richard Platt, Ala ROW - Philip Anderson, Philip Olson, Barbra Little, June Hardy, Edna Roberts, Christine n Bown, Alan Hunter, Steven Smillitto, Steven Gallagher, Andrew Gessiss, Alan Marr, David McDonnald. FRONT ROW - John Fairchild, Colin Jarvis, Pat McDonnald, Jean Smethhurst, Linda Karen, Cathy Mort, Joan Cambell, Shirly Williams, Dennise Mouney, Brian Billows.
Sonoma

I was there from about 1954-58. The teacher I remember most was Dickie Moss who taught standard 4. He had a large bone protruding from his wrist with which he would clout boys over the head,
We used to compare our wrists and any protrusion was known as a "dickie bone"
He used to play the piano standing up and always had his jet-black hair slicked down with what looked like motor oil
silverfox3448

hi jean, yes father fitzpatrick was there, a real bully i also remember father ring, a quiet gentle priest, then a father brady who was'nt too bad,
mneary
jean eaton

Hi to Silverfox, glad to see your posting this morn,hope you and family are all ok. Father Brady was the priest that married my brother and sister in law back in the early 1950's.I did't go to St. Monica school but have heard stories from others about Father Fitz.
JULIA ARROWSMITH

Hi Babsm what number shelley st did you live in iv lived there all my life still there now :lol:
julia arrowsmith
CathieB

My favorite teacher was Miss Blythen who taught French at Mater Misericordiae High School in Maghull. She was the first person ever to suggest that I go to university, and she suggested that I consider going to Bangor Uni to study French.

Sadly I had to leave school after my "O" levels after Mum died at the age of 36, and I had to look after my two younger brothers so that my dad could continue to work as a lorry driver.

Miss Blythen's encouragement stayed with me so much that I went to night school to get my "A" levels and to study more languages at "O" level and I was offered and accepted a place studying French and Russian at Liverpool Uni. That wasn't to be either and I left there to have my son.

I ended up with a degree in maths with the OU because you couldn't study languages with the OU back then.

So I got a degree after all - in a subject I'd never have considered studying.

All down to Miss Blythen's encouragement when I was 15.

I still love languages!
Cathie Black (nee Murphy), formerly of Menai Road, Bootle, now in North Carolina, USA

www.fredcat.net
scouser

Mr. Stafford, got the school to buy the team, the top of the line uniforms. The Willies, yeah! Dobbsy, your right about Stevens,( no Mr. from me)! the Costigan brothers, Matty Dolan, ( math) always asleep. Dan Brady, gave me a great desire to read. Mr. Cooper,( metalwork).Then Diggle, our first day at school, were all in line, heading to class, one boy in front of me,could,nt walk properly,bracers on his legs, (hidden by long pants).Diggle drags him out, gives him a thrashing with the STRAP, only stopped when a teacher showed him the bracers, turned went back to his office...nice./snark mick
Mcshell

Alan M wrote: Tue May 19, 2009 5:46 pm Bedford Rd School and Mr Knowles.Smashing teacher,big handlebar moustache and green sports car.Looked like some RAF fighter pilot but brilliant with us kids
alan
Mr Knowles was our headmaster and he was amazing. He scared the life out of us but we respected him. You have described him so well 😜
Sharon Rawson

Mr Knowles was my headmaster when I attended in the early 80’s . My Older brother and I are reminiscing about his green sports car. Can anyone remember what make/model it was ? Or have a photo?
Mazza1000

I was at Waterloo Park from 1959 to 1964 but my sister was there from 1953 to 1958. Her name was Margaret Williams. I'm Marilyn. We both remember Kate and her traffic light system outside her room and how she ruled with a rod of iron. We were all frightened to death of her, This was a response to Pat Berry asking if anyone remembered Miss Jagger