Convent Sterrix lane

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
rivermersey

The old convent in Sterrix Lane.
This one is for you whacker66!
I remember we used to walk from Bailey Drive to my Aunts in Simons Croft and back in the mid to late 60s it was still there then.
Born in Bootle 1960 lived on Bailey Drive then the old roan.
whacker66

Thank you river, I only remember it from early 1950's as my Gt/nan wainwright used to live in a misson hut close by, great pics though..keep them coming
Peter
Pamsy

whacker66 wrote:Thank you river, I only remember it from early 1950's as my Gt/nan wainwright used to live in a misson hut close by, great pics though..keep them coming
I remember it well as I climbed the wall as a kid just to see what was on the other side ha ha

thanks also for this pic
PAM KEEGAN BENICH
Keegan, Carruthers, Rigg, Copland, Lobb, Hough, Mee
born in Bootle
Ann Morgan

Thanks for the photo River.
I lived off Simons Croft in Cumberland Ave for the time period you describe. Who was your Aunt I might know her?
The photo you put up seems to be from before the time I remember but maybe I remember wrongly. Old age does funny things to your mind.
My friend Susan Brady used to go to mass at the convent in the sixties. If you missed the morning mass at the Holy Ghost you could go to The Convent on a Sunday afternoon. I think it was about 4 o clock. I often used to go with her as she wouldnt go on her own.She held it all in awe.
My Mum talks about sitting on the Convent Wall in the early forties so they could watch the "Naughty Girls" within the walls confines. (Any Ideas? was the convent used as some sort of orphanage or something?)
Interesting subject !!! xx
Was Ann Campbell. Went to Sterrix Lane infant and Jnr and then Bootle Grammar for Girls. Lived in Solihull West Mids for the past twenty five years.
daveowe

The convent had a laundry, I remember the vans had Ford Convent Laundry painted on their sides. Possibly at one time it was a refuge for 'Fallen women' and forced labour..

daveowe
Ann Morgan

Thank you family Historian that was very informative and helpful. xxxxx
Was Ann Campbell. Went to Sterrix Lane infant and Jnr and then Bootle Grammar for Girls. Lived in Solihull West Mids for the past twenty five years.
daveowe

I was into thinking Taliban was a wicked degradation of the females in society...

daveowe
Ann Morgan

How could they be so wicked ??
Dont ya think Daveowe xx
Ann Morgan

Mt Grandma wasput in a workhouse for becoming pregnant before marriage and that was AFTER my grandad married her. How cruel xx
whacker66

Ann, I think you have to look at todays standards as regards to the days you are looking at regards the workhouses..etc...them days they where punished...today teenagers , AND under teens go out and get rewarded like have a baby...and get all the benefits, social care, housed...and thats a whole problem, so many on the housing list is young singles...go back to the workhouse and they might think twice about both parties male and female...
Peter
georgewiliam

By way of explaning the Victorian approach to 'wayward girls', take a look at the following url:
http://oro.open.ac.uk/82/1/NOT_WORSE_TH ... _GIRLS.pdf

It can be seen that the girls were more sinned against than they are sinners
Jeanette

georgewiliam-Thanks, a very interesting and informative read.
Bonesy

There used to be a bell at the convent visible from Sterrix Lane, it was probably used to call the nuns to prayer maybe.
As kids we became experts at throwing stones from near the bus stop at the bell and making it ding rather than ring.

Bonesy
marielou

Convent with a little colour.

Marie.
We lose dignity if we tolerate the intolerable.
jwalker85@hotmail.com

English Society has become more tolerant over the ages but not necessarily more correct.
The word sin and disgraceful seem to have been dropped from the English Vocabulary.

For the ones of us who are still Catholics our standards must not drop, we must encourage the younger generations to honor the word of God and be responsible for their actions especially sins of the flesh.
Even so we can be merciful and kind to our wayward youth without rewarding them for their wrong doing! If we don't have these high standards then England and the world will become a completely permissive society, if it isn't already ! By what I see on British TV I think great acting but praise is often given to standards of the street, which is the complete opposite to the way it used to be. :shock:
It takes all types to make the world go on its merry way!
By the way I feel sure God made it just like the way he likes it!
georgewiliam

The pictures of Ford Convent remind me of the very early days of moving to the Sterrix Lane Estate.
In 1953 the 55 bus terminus was in Green Lane just down from Ford Cemetery gates and along from ‘Tom Jones’ public house. The only housing development was on Sterrix Lane itself with the interior (Randall Drive, Poulsom etc) all under construction: the rest was open fields.
On alighting from the bus, it was a short walk to the corner of Sterrix, past a couple of old cottages which stood on the corner and then up the Lane which was bounded on the right by the cemetery and a hawthorn hedge which had formed the edge of the old established farmland fields.
As I remember, you could walk up the lane on the roadway or a cinder path fronting the newly built house gardens. Living at the far end entailed a walk past the Convent which, in my mind, gave off a sense of the untoward or even menace----to me, there were no happy ‘vibes’ about the Convent---even the ‘call to prayer bell’ intimated melancholy.
Despite this, we had the convent farm field opposite which delivered an open aspect and a feeling of being in the country. The only street illumination in the lane was provided by a single electric light bulb mounted on a telegraph pole on the corner of the field opposite the Litherland Girl’s School so that walking the lane in the dark nights could be bit tricky but completely incidental to the beauty of a star strewn night sky particularly in the month of October.
john w

daveowe wrote:The convent had a laundry, I remember the vans had Ford Convent Laundry painted on their sides. Possibly at one time it was a refuge for 'Fallen women' and forced labour..
daveowe
Family Historian’s link says that the convent belonged to that group called ’The Magdalene Homes’, and catered for women who were thought to be in need of moral care, i.e. like you surmised, ‘fallen women’ = prostitutes. However, they weren't the only 'inmates'.

A film called ’The Magdalene Sisters’ was going the rounds about 6 years ago. I think it was on the cinema at Crosby for a week or so.

It was the story of 4 young women sent to a convent of the Sterrix Lane type, but in Ireland, where there were also many such places. It was based on the recollections of a woman who spent years in such a place. On seeing the film, she apparently said the film was soft in what it showed compared to the real conditions.

She, like the 4 main female characters in the film, was sent there not because she was a ’fallen woman’ but because she was judged too lively and independent. Apparently many girls with a more outward and confident nature were sent to such places because in some communities or religious-social circles it was felt such traits didn’t belong in a woman.
issi

im shore my nan was sent to the convent when she was orphaned at five is there anyway of finding out, old records or something you could look at
jean eaton

my friend and I used to pass by on our way to Litherland Mod Sec school in the middle 1950's
patricia redmond

My great/great grandmother,she was born in 1827, she worked in the laundry at the convent, name was Ellen Shepherd, she must have been an unmarried mother as she had a son J.J. Shepherd, in 1856. there must have been somebody -connected as she and her baby had their own Cottage in Sefton Road until 1910. although she is buried at the Walton Workhouse cemetery, she did own a gravestone (which I have since located) at the Sefton Church cem.
Thank you Mack for this wonderful site. from Pat.
born in my Nan's house @ 12 Viola St. Bootle.
jean eaton

On the way to school we used to want to ring that bell, but didn't have the nerve.I changed religion from C of E to RC when I was a teenager.I had to go for lessons to a convent in Crosby,nice young nun,.Used to be more boys and girls wanted to enter the church 60yrs ago.
jean eaton

FH Just read the story of Michael, what a sad sad story.The RC church does have a lot to answer for.They did a lot of good but did it make up for stories like this one
carolmcb
Location: Born in St Johns Rd, Bootle, living in Norfolk! :-(

Family Historian wrote:A sad and tragic story...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... idder.html
I've just sat here reading that story and I should be shocked - but I'm not in the least surprised! My dad was born just off Scottie Road in Liverpool and his mother was of irish catholic descent whilst his father was Liverpool protestant with, I think, some irish roots.

Dad spoke of a 'mixed wedding' which had caused a lot of trouble within the old family but I'm not sure who he was referring to. When I was around 12 years old I asked my dad, one day, why we had not been brought up in his religion (catholic) but under my mum's C or E religion instead and he answered simply as follows: "because, cocker, I wasn't going to have my kids growing up in fear of the bloody priests, like we did!"

Says it all, I think and I have always been grateful to my dad for doing us that huge favour! I am a avid family historian and reader and I've heard and read some dreadful things about the catholic church and I have to say this, I am so glad not to be a part of it!
REID, ROBERTS, STAINES, BRAWN, HARDY, WILLIAMS, GRIFFITHS, DELANEY, CUDDY, SMITH, BYRNE, LUCAS, HEGARTY, HARVEY
chris sealeaf

I have just read the story of Philomena and her son. So much heartache for these two people. But it wasn't only the catholic church who incarserated young women when they had an illegitimate baby. My grandmother (who was not a catholic) was born in November 1897 the yougest of six children. Her father died in 1911 at the age of 48. My grandmother went into service and in 1918 became pregnant and my father was born in June 1919. She was sent "away" to Calderstones Hospital near Blackburn. She was not allowed to keep my father. Calderstones was a mental hospital and she was expected to work as a domestic servant to earn her keep. In November 1927 just befor her 30th birthday she was attacked by a mental patient and received a head injury from which she died soon after. She never left this prison, she died there. My father was informally adopted. Thankfully his aunt told my mother the whole very sad story and in turn my mother told me and I have been able to verify this story.
chrissealeaf
Marie777

Thank you for sharing that story with us Chris, like any story when a mother has her child taken away, no matter what the reason it must leave a scar for life, it's bad enough when you miscarry a baby but to give birth and lose the child is unthinkable.
I have just come back from Mass and it is Thanksgiving Day here in Canada. We were all asked to bring non perishable food today in order to feed the homeless and those less fortunate than ourselves. Needless to say the food was covering the altar and those who had gone away for the weekend had left parcels all over the parish to be picked up and distributed to all denominations across Ontario. I am proud to be a part of this parish and i thank God for the Faith I was born into.
Sad how all the bad things are repeated over and over again and in all this time I have never once heard anyone mention Mother Teresa.
Right now in a countryside parish back home in England, a young boy who was dumped by his so called mother is being cared for by a priest's housekeeper, it didn't happen yesterday, it happened fourteen years ago, that particular mother did her son a favour.I know these people and can vouch that this young boy is a credit to any family.
Marie (the other one)
Cookie1950

Some wonderful thoughts and memories on this post. I lived at 65 Sterrix Lane opposite the main entrance to the Convent and can remember one Nun Sister Ursula used to pop over for a cup of tea! Yes I can still remember the sound of that bell and the way some of the girls used to shout to us out of the tiny little windows of their cells.We used to have to go to Midnight Mass at Christmas and four o'clock mass Sunday if we didn't make Holy Ghost I can remember it was a beautiful old fashioned church as was the Cemetary Chapel. Yes times have changed as have moral values some girls in the sixties wouldn't let you kiss them or hold their hand in case they got "In the family way".
Born Merton Rd 1950. Lived in Sterrix Lane, moved to Skelmersdale 1971. Went to Holy Ghost and Bootle Boys Grammar.
ronald sumner

Yes able to remember Sterrix Lane also having photos of the houses being built and living at number (5 ) as a little boy moving across from Persy Street in Bootle :wink: across the road was some waste ground backing onto the cemertry two garages,one had pigs locked up in it,other used by my dad for his i think bull nose morris, you know the one with as all had yes ..,a place for starting handles ,one wind screen wiper blade no heater,any way remember him telling me not to open the doors to the garage next door :? it had to happen open it we shall.., :lol: these pigs locked up in darkness never to see light was to charge out, me thinking they are after me for din din,s : :cry: running across the road so upset what my dad would do to me was to run across to put the pigs back ,one was stuck under the car,remember a stick being used to prod it to and push from under it,by this time i could not help but laugh :D dad to, so a smanking was not to come after running all over the pigs to be put back and locked me thinking not to see light again :( to go back and play on my three wheeler bike, friends.., one on the handle bars,one one on the seat me standing :D doing the peddling,other end of- Sterrix Lane- the Army Hut School...yes remember the fields at our end used to grow corn or other,was a pond here to and to play around it :D
jean eaton

Welcome to Cookie1950 and Ronald, hope you will enjoy the BB's as much as I do. Jean
lily8

Hi Cookie and Ronald thanks for your post and nice to have you aboard the BB's.
Lily
Cookie1950

Thanks to all for the warm welcome. I can see I will enjoy this site as reading some of the other posts brings back many happy memories. The pig sheds stayed untill about 1965 as far as I can remember. There used to be lots of ponds on the other side of Gorsey Lane till they built the housing estates. Any one ever walk across them it was called Froggie Meadow, and you could get across to Enbutt Lane in Crosby and walk to Crosby Baths which I believe has been pulled down now.
Born Merton Rd 1950. Lived in Sterrix Lane, moved to Skelmersdale 1971. Went to Holy Ghost and Bootle Boys Grammar.
jimmelia

We lived in 47 Sterrix lane when it was built in 1952/3 i think, I remember the nuns in there large white triangular hats and being told off for calling them Cowboys,we went to mass there a lot and remember to the left of the alter there were statues of the Crucifixion .I remember the man herding the pigs up and down the lane and where the 55 turned around there was a stream with minnows and the like ,hard to believe now ,Mr mills at 45 had a lorry to take cattle to the Abattoir 45,and Mrs Hall at 49 had two daughters one was a nurse used to walk me to the bus stop on my way to English Martyrs,Jim
BOBHAMO

http://www.bootlehistory.co.uk/forum/vi ... hp?t=15008
Hi jimmy took these a few weeks ago
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
sal

I have over the latter years read many books about those poor girls in the convents.The abuse and hard labour was horrific. Their babies stolen from them. Some girls remained in the compound for life and when they died they were buried in the convent grounds. No cross No headstone No flowers. When these establishments finally closed down and the property sold, (probably for redevelopment) what happened to all the graves of those women.
Makes me mad to think Nobody Cared !!
I was brought up a Catholic but i have questioned many things about the religion.
SAL