Old Swing Bridges in Netherton

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
rivermersey

The Swing bridge in Browns Lane....Is that a Doctor I see on the Bridge?

This one is labelled as "Bridge Lane" though it looks like it could be St Oswald's Lane.
Born in Bootle 1960 lived on Bailey Drive then the old roan.
daveowe

The name Bridge Lane, was changed to Aldrins Lane when the houses were built in 1969-70.

daveowe
BOBHAMO

another great photo rivermersey as a kid in the fiftes iwent fishing there with my dad , safety always came first just a bit to the left was a pole , think elecky and my dad used to tie me to it :oops: :oops: glad to be back posting bobhamo
conker

great picture and our old house in the back ground to the side of telegraph pole on the bridge lane photo
john w

Any chance of a photo of the swing bridge which used to be between Hatton Hill Road and Endbutt Lane?

My Mum used to cycle that way from Hawthorne Road to the Coop in Crosby, where she worked in the shop, and I remember her once telling me that, as she approached the bridge she was distracted by something and missed the bridge, so plopped into the canal. She scrambled out and a man passing by retrieved the bike. Then, in her conscientious way, and dripping wet, she carried on to work, more worried about being unpunctual. Fortunately the manager sent her home.

I think the swing bridge disappeared 20-25 years ago. Sad to see it go, but I rather like the steel footbridge which replaced it, simple and pleasing, perhaps the best piece of new architecture in Crosby over the last 50 years.
smoked out

is it permitted to copy and paste these canal pics , only to show to canal forums.
marcos_cu

Thanks for these great photos. If there are any other pix out there of Netherton then plsease do post them.
Formerly Assissian Crescent, Netherton - Bootle Grammar 1968-72

http://wip330.110mb.com/
http://www.withnellmill.co.uk/
Dan

rivermersey wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:31 am
The Swing bridge in Browns Lane....Is that a Doctor I see on the Bridge?

This one is labelled as "Bridge Lane" though it looks like it could be St Oswald's Lane.
Spent many happy hours manning the bridges during the school summer holidays,

waiting for barges so we could swing the bridge open. :D :D :D
Dan

Can't be many of the original canal bridges left in Bootle.

Was out this afternoon. Took these of the Swifts Lane (Holy Ghost) bridge,

On the 1850 OS map, it was named Moss Side Bridge as the immediate area was known as Moss Side..

The Liverpool to Wigan section of the canal was complete by 1871, so bridge construction would have been a little earlier.
BOBHAMO

Good photos Dan crossed the bridge loads of times
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
robinroyle

This was always known locally as the hump-back bridge. I used to cross every day on my way from St Thomas's Drive to Netherton Moss.

Anyone remember the lollipop lady on the bridge " Quick Sharp!! " was what she used to shout to get everyone across when a car came!
Bri

Hey Dan, me and the wife were just behind you today, watched you taking that third picture on the bridge, wondering what you were looking at, small world.
Dan

Left my "Artist At Work" signs at home Bri. :)

Robin, I was going to put "the humpback bridge" but I think the convex bridge might be more acceptable now. :)

Did you play centre half for the Bootle Grammar team in the 60's with Geoff Steers and Jimmy Culley?
Walsh

Good to see the name of my cousin, Jimmy Culley. We often knocked a footy around the road at lunchtime, in Marion Close, when we would leave the Grammar School in Marion Way (as first years in 1963) and go to his parents house for dinner, often a plate of scouse with beetroot and red cabbage trim. Jimmy always excelled at footy and I had to work hard to stop him running around me, despite being fast on the track and in cross country. Back at school, we awaited afternoon break - and more footy! Walshy.
Dan

Small world Walshy. Jimmy lived around the corner from us.

We were in Sarah's Croft , opposite the grammar. Handy for our big evening footy matches on the grammar tennis courts.

The surface was better than Wembley. Lads from Sarah's, All Saints, and the Marion Close and Way. Usually 15 a side.

The game would last at least two hours and would only stop when it became too dark to see the ball.
Bonesy

Dan, did you happen to know of Sylvia Williams from around Sarah's Croft

Keith
Dan

Sorry Keith, the only Williams family I know of lived at No. 27 ages ago.

May have been the even numbers in the older houses by the golfy, or the new builds on the old grammar.

Or maybe someone I know by sight but wouldn't know their name.

I had a bad case of pneumonia about 8 years ago.

After I got out of hospital, the number of people who stopped me at the shops was ridiculous.
robinroyle

Dan, only correct in one of your three comments! Yes, I did play centre half for the Grammar, and although I'm a mate of Geoff Steers, I'm a year younger than him. Jimmy Culley was another year ahead of Geoffo I think. A good centre forward was Jimmy, more tricky than Geoff, but not as prolific!
darrenadam

Has Geoff Steers got a brother called Mark
Mark was a caddy for some top golfers
Dan

You're right Darren.

Mark is Geoff's brother. He caddied for Jamie Spence (I think) in the early to mid 90's.

The main reason I remember Mark was, he tried to climb onto the roof where he lived in All Saints' Close.

Almost made it. Got to the top of the drain pipe, but it gave way at the bend as he tried to haul himself up.

Fell and broke his arm. Replacement drain pipe shown below. :D :D :D

The extension wasn't there in those days, so it was a straight drop.

Last edited by Dan on Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan

robinroyle wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:26 pm Dan, only correct in one of your three comments! Yes, I did play centre half for the Grammar, and although I'm a mate of Geoff Steers, I'm a year younger than him. Jimmy Culley was another year ahead of Geoffo I think. A good centre forward was Jimmy, more tricky than Geoff, but not as prolific!
Cheers Robin.

I'll take 1 out of 3 as a pass after 50 years.

Played against Geoff and Jimmy when they were in the grammar cricket team.

Was expecting Geoff to get me out, but fell lbw b Culley, :)
darrenadam

So that's why no one could beat
Mark at arm wrestling I worked with
Geoff and Mark great lads
Dan

1996 Fleetwoods Lane bridge.

Bri

A fellah drowned in the canal just to the right of that bridge one afternoon, must have been 1970/71, they pulled him out about 4pm...... just as we were all coming out of school (Warwick Bolam)
Dan

Never understood painting "9T1".

91 would have been quicker.

It's like hey I know an abbreviation for 91. I'll paint NINETY ONE.