Scott's bakery

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
Darlo123

Just wondering if anyone can provide information on Scott's bakery? My mother died very recently and I know that her grandfather was (I belive) the founder of the bakery (Bill Scott I think).\ My mother was Rachael Scott and she had two brothers Ian Scott and Ken Scott (Ian still being alive and living in Lytham St Annes. Any info would be greatly appreciated in relation to history or former family or friends?
Jean

My great grandfather, Anthony Wilson and his brother Francis were confectioners and came from Baltinglass, near the Vale of Avoca in County Wicklow. They left Ireland as the priest announced from the pulpit that the congregation must only buy bread where the sign of the cross was above the door. My family were protestants and were boycotted. I'm guessing this would be about 1870's. They settled in the Liverpool area and opened what were then known as cocoa shops - my great grandfather at Canada Dock and his brother at Alexander Dock (Strand Road). My aunt often related this story and also mentioned members of the Scott family (Scott's Bakery) who also left. The names of Thomas and/or Robert come to mind. Hope this is useful.
My first job when I left school was in Scott's office and I remember "Mr.Bill" and "Mr Ken" as they were called.
Daveart

[quote The names of Thomas and/or Robert come to mind. Hope this is useful.
My first job when I left school was in Scott's office and I remember "Mr.Bill" and "Mr Ken" as they were called.[/quote]

Hi, I remember the name, Thomas Scott & Son's back in the early-mid 50's.
Hope this also helps.
Also, when I arrived in Adelaid in 1966, I worked for Tip Top Bakeries, I was told that Scotts was a sister company of Tip Top, who where owned by George Weston group.
Dave.
Born and lived in Worcester Road, from 1944-1966.
tgibbon

Darlo123 wrote:Just wondering if anyone can provide information on Scott's bakery? My mother died very recently and I know that her grandfather was (I belive) the founder of the bakery (Bill Scott I think).\ My mother was Rachael Scott and she had two brothers Ian Scott and Ken Scott (Ian still being alive and living in Lytham St Annes. Any info would be greatly appreciated in relation to history or former family or friends?
I used to work atScott's bakery as a van lad in 1954. Later in the 70's I met Bill Scott in the Everton Board room, he was one of their Directors
Born and lived in Balliol Road
Darlo123

Edited
Last edited by Darlo123 on Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jan

:D

Hi Darlo,

I found this, but I am sure there will be more info somewhere!

http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/mol/ ... scotts.asp

Jan
Jan

:D

I also found this on the access to archives website

Estate Sales Particulars

Catalogue Ref. EST01

[Access Conditions]
Public

FILE - LIVERPOOL, BOOTLE AND KIRKDALE - ref. SC00599 - date: 21 Nov 1934
[Access Conditions] Public
[from Scope and Content] Scotts Bakery, Gower Street, Bootle, Merseyside

Jan
Jan

:roll: :D

I think I have the papers for that, a lot of businesses and properties were auctioned off, and I got the papers photocopied and sent to me, it just says about the buildings and what the rents were and when they were rentable from (too difficult to explain). I will try and find the documents and see what they say.

Jan
KMORAN

:wink:
Last edited by KMORAN on Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
KSM
KMORAN

:)
KSM
maureen howell

:lol: :lol: When the Quiz League started in the Mount Pub Scotts gave the first cup ever to the league.I think it was called the THomas Scott trophy.When my Uncle Jim who incidentally was a founder member of the quiz leaguewas a boy he worked in one of the first Scotts shops,.One day the baker was off sick and Uncle Jim had to leg it up to Oriel Road.(I think).He said old Thomas Scott legged it down to the bakery cum shop rolled up his sleeved and set to on the bread.
maureen howell
daveowe

Barry Daulby is a pal of mine he moved back into the village Post Office after his mother passed away. He has now extended the house into the old Post Office buildings.

daveowe
IanA

http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/mol/ ... scotts.asp
Nice van, but not Keats Street. I told the museum about this several years ago but they don't seem very interested.
littlebeavers

Scott's Bakery was founded by Thomas Scott, and his brother William John Scott was also in the business.
Andrew
Ed Davies

Hi Littlebeavers welcome to the site hope you have fun :D
Ed
whacker66

Hi Dave...if I manage to get up HOME, would love to meet up with Barry..not seen him since Linacre
Peter
Dodge City Cowboy

loved scott's when I was younger, every summer we used to go round all the scott's shops beggin for tickets for their summer fair, get in the queue for the free plate of goods, eat them then go back in the queue for some more :lol: , we used to do that for a week 8) .
We also had the Liittlewoods fair for a week as well as Litherland carnival in Moss Lane and the English Elec fair, we never had tickets for that but it was dead easy to bunk in :evil: .
One day we were gettin chased by the security guards and run through their offices, we all run through the open door to get out bar one, he decided to jump over a little wall and through the big bay :lol: not knowing it was a plate glass window...............Mr Nugent used doors after that :roll: .
filsgreen

Hands up whose Dad's worked there and got them a job as a van lad :D . Secondly how many people do you know who got sacked as a van lad .... Me. We were told in March 1977 if we were off on the Saturday we would be sacked. Well I was getting the bullet in May because I would be 18 so I went anyway Needless to say P45 on the Monday. Waterloo Dole the following Monday :(

Phil
tgibbon

filsgreen wrote:Hands up whose Dad's worked there and got them a job as a van lad :D . Secondly how many people do you know who got sacked as a van lad .... Me. We were told in March 1977 if we were off on the Saturday we would be sacked. Well I was getting the bullet in May because I would be 18 so I went anyway Needless to say P45 on the Monday. Waterloo Dole the following Monday :(

Phil
I was a van lad at Scotts in 1954 and in 1974 I met Bill Scott for the first time in the Directors Box at Everton. I can't remember who they were playing, but they lost and the crowd were booing the directors. Funnily enough the person sitting next to me during the game was Bill Shankley
Born and lived in Balliol Road
JUNE

Scotts van lads, hanging off the back of the delivery van in white overalls shouting to all the girls going to school, we remember you well.

Remember the big Christmas tree they used to have outside the gate. As kids visiting our nan and grandad in the Old Roan, looking out of the number 59 bus in anticipation of the Christmas tree.
Bonesy

Tony McCardle & Mike Barker spring to mind, both drivers when I was a VAN LAD.
Hot Cross Buns ???

Keith
filsgreen

My driver was Joe McKinley, anyone remember my Dad's mate Frank Meade?
scotty

I was a van lad for Scotts about 1960 ish.My driver was a ladies man who had more girlfriends than hot dinners.He used to make me get in the back while he had his way with them.I also remember a driver who was bald but put black shoe polish on his head to hide it.I remember one time at xmas, dropping a huge trifle and getting in deep sh##t.We made great tips at xmas time
Eddie

scotty wrote:I was a van lad for Scotts about 1960 ish.My driver was a ladies man who had more girlfriends than hot dinners.He used to make me get in the back while he had his way with them.I also remember a driver who was bald but put black shoe polish on his head to hide it.I remember one time at xmas, dropping a huge trifle and getting in deep sh##t.We made great tips at xmas time

Hey Scotty was you my van lad !!!
If a Evertonian say's it he's a bitter blue, if a red $hite say's it its only banter.......

Eddie Williams
kenswayken

Your hairs grown Eddie :D Ken
Patricia Simpson

Does anyone remember getting tickets from Scotts shops to look around the bakery in Dunningsbridge road and see how the bread, cakes were made. It fascinated me to see the red hot bread being sliced, it was then wrapped in red striped greaseproof paper? and how the ecclis cakes were made. After you had been around the factory you would then go into a big marquee in the back garden and sit down to a plate with half a slice of white, half of brown bread, a drink and small cake. I went to every shop in Bootle to get more tickets and took the kids in the street with me, not for being friendly, to see the bread being sliced again! Pat
davybaby

Dunningsbridge Road, 1950s . . . Big improvement from Gower Street.
xanadu

I WAS FRANKS VAN LAD FOR 2 YEARS IN THE 70S MY NAME BEING BILL GRACE, HOW IS FRANK?
Born in Bootle moved to Netherton, attended Netherton Moss school,later Warwick Bolam
filsgreen

xanadu wrote:I WAS FRANKS VAN LAD FOR 2 YEARS IN THE 70S MY NAME BEING BILL GRACE, HOW IS FRANK?
Welcome to the site Bill. If you are referring to my post, I'm afraid Frank died several years ago of Cancer. What years were you there?

Phil
xanadu

filsgreen wrote:
xanadu wrote:I WAS FRANKS VAN LAD FOR 2 YEARS IN THE 70S MY NAME BEING BILL GRACE, HOW IS FRANK?
Welcome to the site Bill. If you are referring to my post, I'm afraid Frank died several years ago of Cancer. What years were you there?

Phil
Hi Phill sad to hear about Frank he was a smashing man our run was St. Helens, I was there until about 1974/5 I went to work on the ovens, my first driver was Peter Kirby from Maghul. But my best times where with Frank.
Born in Bootle moved to Netherton, attended Netherton Moss school,later Warwick Bolam
filsgreen

Hiya Bill, yes, Frank was a top bloke with a very dry sense of humour. Frank and my Dad played for the County quiz team, which was based at the Maghull Country club. I was there from the October 1975 to March 1977. With getting the sack for taking the Saturday off for going to the League cup final, I had no chance of being kept on. I loved working there, the smell of fresh bread at 5am was great, once you got downwind of the Peerless of course. :D

Phil
xanadu

filsgreen wrote:Hiya Bill, yes, Frank was a top bloke with a very dry sense of humour. Frank and my Dad played for the County quiz team, which was based at the Maghull Country club. I was there from the October 1975 to March 1977. With getting the sack for taking the Saturday off for going to the League cup final, I had no chance of being kept on. I loved working there, the smell of fresh bread at 5am was great, once you got downwind of the Peerless of course. :D

Phil
Did he marry a girl from St. Helens? he was very secretive about that but I`m sure he was seeing someone.
filsgreen

I know he was married Bill and that he lived in St Helens, but that's about all I know of his personal life. I can't recall her name.

Phil
marymaple que.

Hi.there my family--mom-dad---worked in Scotts when it was in Gower st. we lived in Hood st..Gray st....I can remember the big horses delivering the bread, in big wagon's, my gran Violet Morgan---used to send me out with a shovel to pick the manure for her garden, then Scott's moved to Netherton, mom worked there also, and her brother Paddy Power, I used to love a Saturday, mom would bring home a ( walnut cream cake).. very special for my brother and I, my uncle lived in Orched Hey..in Netherton at this time. another name come's to mind Jimmy Pinder, I think that he was a boss or something similer...do they still have the bakery in Netherton???? :lol: :lol:
filsgreen

It was demolished to make way for a retail park. Britain produces nothing now, Bonaparte was right; we are a nation of shopkeepers. :(