Scott's bakery

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
graham

I was never a Van Lad for Scotts but would help out the driver, on Saturdays I think his name was Stan Greenwood, never got paid but he would give us a cream cake at the end if the day. I was still at school so it would be around 1953/4 and maybe into early 55
Gortaphuill

Two of my uncles Mick and Joe Wash were van drivers for Scotts in the from the 1040's. I think Mick was based in Netherton and Joe worked out of somewhere round St Annes Street and he also acted as personal driver for Bill Scot at one time.
Barbara
Gortaphuill

The surname on that previous post should have read Walsh. Apologies
davybaby

Gortaphuill

Davybaby
Thanks for the photo, I can put that on my Uncle Joe's ancestry profile.
fatboyjoe90

Great photo Davy.
That used to be Sykes bakery before Scotts took it over, the bakery was in Rose Place. :wink:
Cheers Joe.
lawrence devine

scott.s bakery was started at the bottom of kirk st the first shop on the bottom right hand side corner kirk st derby rd
lawrence devine
runningran

hiya friend

Laurence I remember that shop
ei
marymaple que.

Hi.there..I used to live in Grey St. and Hood St. my parent's worked in Scott's bakery at the end of our street, I think it was on Gower St. then it moved to Netherton, my Mom worked there also and I think that her bosses name was Jimmy Pinder-----this was in the 1950's.I also had an uncle who worked at the Netherton bakery his name was Paddy Power, and he used to live in a street called Orched Hey, close by Scott's. I came to Canada in 1956, and remember the walnut cream cake that my Mom would bring home on a Saturday, really great memories.............M.P.
JanS

My mum and dad worked for Scotts back in the 1950's/60's. Dad, who was there for years was a confectioner and I remember the walnut cakes too. Mum worked in the shop. A couple of names I remember them talking about, George Doran think he was a gate man, Lil who worked in the shop. I will tell them about this thread they would love it. I think my dad has pics somewhere of the fairs they had
searching for names;- Clarkin, Deegan, Larkin Hunter, Seymour, Jones.
Conway Street, Wadham Rd, Viola St, Keble Rd
DaveWez

Sorry to revive a really old thread.

My mum has just showed me a watch that used to belong to her grandad. It's engraved on the back with the following:

"Presented to Mr P.J Mason by Messrs Thomas Scott & Sons (Bakers) Ltd. in appreciation of loyal service 1914-1963"

Just wondering if this is the same bakery as in this thread and if anybody knew of a Mr P.J Mason?
BOBHAMO

Hi Dave welcome :D :D
Thomas Scotts bakery started on derby road pre 1881
there first bakery
then moved to Knowsley road bombed ww2
then 1950s dunningsbridge road
what a long service 2 wars
looked to see if he was a director
did he live local ???
up to 70 shops local
sure some one would remember the longest serving staff member
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
JUNE

Remember as a kid getting the 59 bus from Bootle to the Old Roan to visit my nan and grandad. Exciting at Christmas time to spot the big Christmas tree with lights outside Scott's on Dunningsbridge Road, this was some 55 years ago when outdoor lights were not common. My wedding cake was purchased from here in 1978.
Bonesy

davybaby wrote:Image
Love this photo. As a child I always wanted to sit in that truck.
If my memory serves me well this is on the corner of Hawthorn Rd and Aintree Rd with Dr Bathursts surgery on opposite corner.

Keith
filsgreen

I sat in one of those vans, six days a week for two years, Keith. :) :D I don't think it's on the corner of Hawthorne Road as the half miley started there and there was also a gents toilet on that corner. It looks more like Dunningsbridge Road.
Bonesy

Phil, I meant sitting in the truck on the hoarding as it was in 3D.
I swear this was Hawthorn Road though.
If you look at the aerial shot of Dunningsbridge earlier on this thread, there are no buildings close to the hoarding.

Keith
filsgreen

You are probably right, Keith, my memory only goes back to 1968. Walking down Hawthorne Road to Derby Park, I can't remember any more other than the railway tunnel starting in that corner with MANWEB based on the facing corner. My Doctors as you say was on the other and shops including Ross's faced them.
john j connell

Not with you on this one Keith, as far as i can remember (same as Phil) it was just the ralla, i can remember passing the same (or similar) hoarding coming from town and it was on St Anne Street/Rose Hill. JJC.
Bonesy

Oh well the mists of time fellas :) I will go with your greater knowledge.

Keith
Dan

Scotts van somewhere in Bootle.

Regards

Dan
Last edited by Dan on Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
IanA

Absolutely NOT Keats Street. I did try to correct this many years ago but was ignored.
Dan

From Hansard.

Regards

Dan
billygooner

hi gang,i worked for a company called k.t.c. edibles in wendsbury west midlands for 18yrs, they expanded up to Liverpool in the docks seaforth, and have now taken over the scott,s site, probably one of the largest edible oil companies in England now. regards billy.
darrenadam

IanA wrote:Absolutely NOT Keats Street. I did try to correct this many years ago but was ignored.
I think its grey st by the queens
IanLiggettRiley

The Hansard entry for the closure of Scott's tells a very sad story of what happens when a family firm with an interest in its workers and its community sells out (for whatever reason - often age and lack of succession) to a giant. My family knew a couple of generations of the Scott family well - I used to baby sit for one of them!

Always admired the three dimensional truck advertisement near Liverpool centre (I think the L6 Ribble bus used to pass it on the way into town) - not sure how long it would survive today
Dan

Regards

Dan
Dan

South Road Waterloo with Scott's Bread Cart

Regards

Dan
Dan

Removed the photobucket logos from the photos below.

IanLiggettRiley

Excellent photo of the advertising display. Thanks
J.F.G

Dan wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:59 pm Removed the photobucket logos from the photos below.

Hello

Regarding the location of the Scotts hoarding, John J Connell was correct, the hoarding was on St Anne street at its junction with Rose Place, the buses coming into Town along Scotland Road turned left up Juvenal street, then turned right onto St Anne Street, the hoarding was directly in front of you as you came up Juvenal street.

Regards

John
darrenadam

Workèd in scotts in the 70 80s i worked
loading the vans it was a pleasure going to work had a great laugh wìth the lads and the girls sorry it closed down
Jo Lewis was a manager and bill Thomson
HelsBels

I'm sorry this is a bit late so hope you see it...but we are cousins, Darlo123! Your grandfather Jack and my grandmother Edith Scott were brother and sister. Can see your mum also had another brother too, I have the whole family tree I can photograph for you if you want to DM me? It's fascinating.
So, our great great grandfather Thomas Scott, born early 1830s, who came over to Liverpool with his family from Ireland, founded the bakery I think, or worked in one then took it over. One of his sons, also Thomas, born 1860 in Liverpool, who was our mutual great-grandfather, took over from his father. He and his wife Georgina Scott had 12 children ( I have some marvellous photos of them), of which my granny and your grandpa were two. You have to be one of two people and I don't know which! Can see on the family tree but won't say the names on here, your whole family is on it though obviously :)
My mum who died a year ago was close to many of her Scott relations, but especially Bill Scott her first cousin, who took over the bakery eventually and ran it for many years, till sadly selling out to Allied. We used to see him and various uncles and aunts quite a lot; they mostly lived in the Wirral. In about 1977 I think it was, when he was chairman of Everton, he took me and my father to an Everton-Man Utd game (think it was Man Utd anyway!) at Goodison Park. He picked us up with the chauffeur in his Rolls Royce, (we lived near Chester then and I still do), gave us lunch at the Adelphi, and I sat next to Rita Tushingham in the Director's box! It was a great day, never forgotten it. He was so lovely and we were all very fond of him, he used to come to us for Christmas lunch sometimes when he was still a bachelor. Was so sad when he died.
So that's a bit of the history of our family and Scott's Bakery. There's lots more I could tell you, photos etc, do DM me if you want a chat.
IanLiggettRiley

i had the good fortune at about the age of 12 to be taken into the Directors' Box at Goodison, not sitting next to Rita Tusshingham but behind Bessie Braddock - very nice but I didn't see much of the match. Nice memories of the Scott family of whom I met a few.
filsgreen

Thanks for your insight into one of my former employers, HelsBels, welcome to the forum. :D You were unlucky to be seated behind, Bessie, Ian. :lol:
hoarie

Scotts had a shop at the crescent not far from my street Clemmey Drive. Ahh in those days you bought your bread and cakes at Scotts your fruit and veg at Rosse's your milk at Mortons your meat at Craigs butchers your papers and sweets at Eddies and my dad telling me to go round to Standish the chemist to buy one, yes one Blue Gillette razor blade ha ha lovely chips at Delamere's there as well. The corner shopping parades where they all knew you, vanished from our streets forever. P.S. my mam had a bill at most of those shops in those days we were so hard up a family of 6 kids.