Bootle golf course during the war

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
JLEADY

I am interested to know if anyone has any info and photos of Bootle golf course during the war? I remember finding rifle bullets on the course when I was younger while playing in a bunker and I have been told since it was a anti-aircraft position.
Bonesy

Sterrix Lane Junior School which backed on to the "Golfie" was affectionately known as the "Army Huts" which is where the army were billeted for tank manoeuvres during WW11 . There are several air raid shelters still on the course and one on Boundary Lane just opposite the new Academy.

You are quite right about the anti aircraft position, there was an earlier post about a German plane being shot down and crashing onto land on Bridge Lane, later to become Bootle Boys Grammar School.

we played in the air raid shelters as kids and also found bullets there and on the Golfie.

The Golf Club was formed in 1949 and celebrates its Diamond Jubilee this year.

Bonesy
Eddy Lloyd

I've crashed on nearly all the greens at Bootle :cry: :cry:
mckenna

[quote="JLEADY"]I am interested to know if anyone has any info and photos of Bootle golf course during the war? I remember finding rifle bullets on the course when I was younger while playing in a bunker and I ave been told since it was a anti-aircraft position.[/quot i finish my army service at harrington barracks formby in 1949 i was a gunner in the royal artillery and we to go bootle golf course servicing the four 5.25 haa guns we also built a fence around them to protect them from vandels what happen after i dont know george
g mckenna
Bernie R

Eddy Lloyd wrote:I've crashed on nearly all the greens at Bootle :cry: :cry:
:lol:

Me too Ed!!

Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
Lord ford

The golf course had a battery of 3”7 AA guns and the army huts Holy Ghost school was the accommodation I remember playing football on the parade ground .there was a old cottage That was the commanding officers of the base.it still had the flagpole out side . The was also 2 companies of the Scotts G. Based by the pavilion. A few where killed by bombs one night in a heavy raid on Bootle . The scotts G. Where to help man the anti invasion stop line on the Leeds to Liverpool canal . I think it’s stop line 42 sub sector 3A also there is 3 bridges in range of the 3”7s on the golf course cooksons .humpback . Dunnings bridge. There is a picture on this site of the bunkers defending cooksons bridge. I spent my childhood on that golf course and still have fond memories of being chased by the green keeper and his sheep dog. I know lots more if you interested. I live in new zealand now so I don’t get there much . But it looks much better from when I was there in the 1960s. Regards Ken Edwards.