Bootle Bands 80's - to present

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
Mack
Site Admin

Hiyya Dobbsyboy

Yep thats Wal Riley... he was our drummer too in Live TX in the early days... superb drummer.. Look for Wals posts here "Walriley" he has recently started posting too.

Mack

ps: hiyya King Tonga, you're very welcome, I'm glad you enjoyed the Cook da Books mp3.... I don't think I will get into trouble posting it here as the recording i made isn't all that good really considering it wos done on a portable cassette recorder.
surestart

mckeown wrote:
piper alpha wrote:I knew Anthony Kelly from Compton walk (If it's the same one?)

I also remember Dylan Walker... Dylan was a good mate of mine when we where kids on the Rimrose Estate! I was in contact with him for a while after we moved then nothing! I don't know what ever happened to him. I hope he is well.
yes it's the same one.
i was born in brackley ave(in front of compton) and grew up with peter,anthony and sally.
i was in bands with dylan in our early teens when he lived up by the corrie.
lost touch with him so don't know what he's up to nowadays.
good people and good times.
Unfortunately the Anthony Kelly you are talking about died a couple of years ago, his sister Margie runs the Georges on Marsh Lane.
marielou

Mack, had ago at colouring this one.

Marie.
We lose dignity if we tolerate the intolerable.
Mack
Site Admin

Cool

Thanks marielou. I used to take lots of pics in black and white as it was so easy to set up a darkroom when using b/w film. Colour was always a bit more complicated so I never really bothered with it. Thank goodness for digital cameras nowadays.

Cheers

Mack
marielou

Mack, I like B/W photo's, it's nice to be able to see how they may have looked in colour.

Marielou.
We lose dignity if we tolerate the intolerable.
walriley

Well, this has been an interesting subject!
Thanks for the compliment Pete. Just for your info, i think Live TX got me in my prime! That was when i was at my most adventurous and technically able. I always thought Ian Jarvis would have made a great bass player if he'd stuck at it, by the way.
Anyway, Whilst i was in Ultimate Vision (who then became The Cutters and then Treehouse) we used to virtually live in Bootle Firehouse, a club i'm sure will be familiar to many. Anyone who played there remember Bob the sound engineer, or Idris and Chris, two of the Tech guys?
Treehouse are sadly now defunct, but i believe Paul o'Brien the bassist is now living in the Isle Of Man, and has recently started playing again. He was a class act on the bass, was Paul. Pete Riley was working with Edwin McCain, a singer who is massive Stateside but not well known here - yet! He's still doing his solo stuff as well. Kev Musker is still frequenting Bootle as am I, but not heard much about him of late. hope all is well, Kev.
Anyway, i'll post more later as i'm overrunning me dinner hour in work!
walriley

I recall that band, The Text. Young lads at the time, but with the right attitude and always worth watching.
I went to the Goddard hall gig by Live TX. Had a great night that night, even though I wasn’t playing. Also, the pier head gig that SADOL set up was groovy. I recall Bluenose B playing that day as well as a number of others. Was that our last gig as a four-piece? I remember the PA dying every time PW hit a big chord on his Korg Poly 800, cos the Generator couldn’t cope with the volume! Didn’t your dad do a tape of that gig, Mack?
I always thought that Reinforcements were a bunch of groovy effers, although the Blackburn gig was a bit scary after they did the Sex Pistols number, cos the place went wild, didn’t it? The Ulties were threatening to walk cos it was nuts, due to the surprisingly large number of Blackburn punks who turned up! They had a great song called ‘Working On The Side’ as I recall.
Finally, George McKane. Now THERE was a character! A genuinely nice bloke, but could take the p*** with the best of them. Is he still doing Yellowhouse? Haven’t seen him on the telly for a while!
Did anyone go and see Afraid of Mice when they had the regular Monday night Firehouse gigs?
paulwheelie

mckeown wrote: by the way macca,do you remember the gig at a queens road youth club.
and the INTERESTING jouney home!!!! for me you and worm.
love to here your memory of that :shock:

Hi John, Paul Whelan aka WORM. here, been a million years kid.

As for this evening , i'm racking my brains, did we get mugged or somebody rob macker's guitar that night and we went and hunted a gang of thugs down and got guitar back??? or was that a different thing!!

I took fotos of MY FAKE JOY rememeber. I burned a piece of paper below the camera view to create smoke, burnt someones fingers!!! God we drank some ale with SADOL or SOD ALL!
All the best.

PAUL
Former Live Transmision band member, Co-author of Liverpoool Eric's book.Out April 2009
mckeown

hi Paul lovely to hear from you.
sorry it took so long for my reply.my computer has been broken,so only had VERY limited time with the kids laptops!,until last night.

i heard from macca your a published author now"well done mate" good luck with the book.hope to get a copy as soon as.

they certainly were mad days! under Georgie McCain's wing.wonder what he's doing now? and is he still the Derek hatton of bootle.

a vaguely remember the photo shoot with you,but we done lot of burning things in them days.if you ever come across any of those photos,I'd give a arm and leg to see them(wouldn't be my own tho,maybe the wife's :D )

anyway like i say,lovely to hear from you ,
keep 'appy wheely mate
john
Shaun

Hey guys, if anyone's interested my band Pink Floydish (Pink Floyd tribute band in case you hadn't guessed!) are playing the Netherton Hotel (by Bootle golf course) on May 16th..

I'm the Bass player if anyone wants to say hi! :D
Chapel Street/Derby Road now Park Lane, Bootle
Mack
Site Admin

Hi Wal here is the very first recording we done when we were kids forming our first ever band... LIVE TRANSMISSION ... This would be about 1985 "War Dance"... our first time ever in a studio and you are banging away on the drums, me on guitar, Ian Jarvis learning bass guitar and Paul Whelan on keyboards... I'm not singing on this one. I've got millions of old recordings... hope this one takes you back...

http://www.fileden.com/files/2010/3/13/ ... ce%202.mp3

Mack
Last edited by Mack on Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jimmytheone

mckeown wrote:SIANs singer was dave shields(good lad)

john halpin moved to america got couple of letters at the beginning but never heard from him since.

MY FAKE JOY split up and reformed as THE VIRGIN DEAD with late great paul bowness on bass.

anyone remember THE TEXT?(almost a jam tribute band)

or bruces band REINFORCEMENTS from the wirral?

george McCane was a great bloke he did a lot for us ruff botty kids.he was a cross between derek hatten and martin luther king.he took MY FAKE JOY on a mini tour of ireland with ECHO MUSIC writter joe rileys follie CAME UNDER MAIN(i think thats how you spell it?) one of their members was called TUNNICLIFFE thats all i remember about them.
we played the baggot inn in dublin (i believe U2 played there in the late 70's early 80's)
and a couple of gigs in the ivy rooms.

george also got us an unforgetable gig in WARWICK university and a recording session in birmingham, produced by one of the members of musical youth.
also recorded in the M.U.T.U.R.C studio in hardman street,and played that gig round the back(can't remember the name of it?)
like i say george was a top bloke :)

not forgetting the musicians who never quite realised their talent
drummers like ; carl tierney,eddy garrett and paul garrett.
singer songwritters like dylan walker,anthony kelly
and many more

i am currently rehearsing with another ex bootle lad jan seddon,we've just got our new drummer called kev,and a 16 track digital studio and are preparing an internet assalt soon :lol:

you have been warned!!!

by the way macca,do you remember the gig at a queens road youth club.
and the INTERESTING jouney home!!!! for me you and worm.
love to here your memory of that :shock:

thats it for now,i'm getting finger cramps.john.

SOMEONE STOP THE WORLD,I JUST WANT TO GET OFF :wink: macca
Alan M

Shaun wrote:Vis Johnson runs the karaoke in the Cat and Fiddle on Monday nights now :)
Shaun, thats just Tommy the bass player from Viz....not as good as you though, mate :wink:
You are dead right in your earlier post about the music scene being pretty poor but with all the pubs closing down, it must have some sort of knock on effect for bands. I never went for the 2 piece band and backing tapes....if it aint get a drum kit, I aint watching it!!!
Good luck with your new band and if I'm home for your gig next year, you can leave my complimentary tickets in the Cat :wink:
Alan
The best thing about being over the hill is that now I can have some fun and free-wheel down the other side. LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL.
Newferrylad

or bruces band REINFORCEMENTS from the wirral?

I was in Bruce's band, the bass player. :)
I nearly had a psychic girlfriend but she left me before we met.
PETER CRAIG

Last edited by PETER CRAIG on Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
vinny

Mack wrote:Hi Wal here is the very first recording we done when we were kids forming our first ever band... LIVE TRANSMISSION ... This would be about 1985 "War Dance"... our first time ever in a studio and you are banging away on the drums, me on guitar, Ian Jarvis learning bass guitar and Paul Whelan on keyboards... I'm not singing on this one. I've got millions of old recordings... hope this one takes you back...

Mack
Mack i cannot get that link to work, mack do you play BASS or Lead??
Blair Street ..Marsh Lane..Bootle Village..Now Brighton-le-Sands (Waterloo)
surestart

I saw Viz Johnson being advertised on a board outside the Taylors arms about a month ago
Mack
Site Admin

Hi Vinny,

the link doesn't work with Google Chrome is that your browser ? It's also quite a big big file so may take a while to load, using Internet Explorer if you right click the link then "save target as" you will be able to save it to your computer and listen later.

I play lead,rhythm,bass and keyboard sequencing and sing. The recording is from when we were kids still learning to play the instruments and it was our very first time in a studio. My rift on the guitar is all over the place LOL but we were all learning at the time.

Mack

Eh up Andy,

Long time no see kidda, just sent you a PM. Last time we met was at Beaver Workshops back of the Strand in the 80's. All knocked down now and new houses built. If you've got any old pics of Reinforcents be great to see them, I've posted up instructions on how to post pics here top of the forum sections.

Bezzy wishes

Mack

LOL sorry for hogging this thread, just had to do an update about War Dance audio. Look forward to seeing more posts here about Bootle music.

here is the remix I made to War Dance - War Dance 2 ... a week after we originaly recorded it... right click and "Save as Target" to download...

The audio quality is a bit rubbish but you have to remember back then we were all using cassette recorders to be in a band... I mixed in a bit of the Sex Pistols in this one... We were young and learning the instruments.

Mack
Last edited by Mack on Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mad Bruce

[quote="PETER CRAIG"][quote="Newferrylad"]or bruces band REINFORCEMENTS from the wirral?

I was in Bruce's band, the bass player. :)[/quote]

Welcome to the Bootle forum Newferrylad,
Peter.[/quote]

Yo Bootleites, Bruce from Reinforcements com'n atcha!!!, It's nice to be remembered, We all had some great times and laughs at SADOL, all credit to Georges' dedication and hard work, he gave us all some space and freedom to let off steam. I am still playing and writing, but no gigs or tours etc. Me and Andy haven't played together for years, and Bug, our drummer went off the rails years ago after bursting a blood vessel in his brain doing too much after he got into body-building. I remember Live Transmission being the most dedicated band amongst us, thier demo in Birmingham was a really serious offering, Macca was a great artist and knew what he was doing way back then. Ultimate Vision were a boss laugh and great musicians, we had the best laugh in Blackburn, and Wacka was one of the best guitarists in Liverpool, We went to see them play at the Firehouse, the last time we spoke, and where's our drums Wally?? Only joking, ha, Good times, Bootle is mad!!
PETER CRAIG

Last edited by PETER CRAIG on Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mack
Site Admin

Hooray !!!

Welcome aboard Bruce, great to see you found us here. Here is a link to Georges Yellow House website, haven't seen him for years...

http://www.yellowhouse.info

and here is one to mine ( haven't updated this for ages tho)

http://www.livetx.info

and here is our radio site... http://www.centralradio.info I'm BG there (can't say full name here) and Wheely is Paul Hunt.

Paul Wheely co wrote a huge book (500 pages) about "Erics" nightclub which I helped with taking pics of many of the artists and bands and customers who went played there. It's called "Liverpool Eric's, all the best clubs are downstairs everybody knows that" and is available in many book shops.

Did you know Paul Okeefe passed away a few years ago.

Sorry to hear about Bug. He is great, remember his hidden stash of magazines in the warehouse :wink:

Great to hear you are still writing stuff, you are an awesome writer and guitarist.

Wheely runs 2 fireplace shops now and is doing really well. I'm still off me head with making mad art and music and work full time self employed as a web designer now.

Catch up with ya soon Bruce :D :D :D

Mack
lily8

Hi Mad Bruce and welcome to the Forum :P
Lily
Mad Bruce

Nice one Macca, good to see you are still active, hope you still don't wanna get off the world, ha, I just thought that I ought to mention Tom Prior, who started SADOL with George. Tom was a really good fella too, they fell out with eachother as time passed by, but I want people to know that both George and Tom were equally as important and helpful to me and my band back then. I know George is doing fine with the Yellowhouse, but I ain't heard anything about Tom. Does anybody know how Tom is and what he's up to? I wish him well anyway. I see Worm became an author, hope he's doing well too, see y'all soon. By the way, we (Reinforcements) all took them glossy mags between us, great quality, ha ha

I just checked out a couple of your videos Macca, you havn't changed a bit, and your music is just as innovative and original as it always was, I particulaly remember your solo performance of a song called "I Love You", at the pier head bash, you played a nylon string guitar and just surprised everyone with this ballad, out of the blue. I thought it was a really brave performance and worth recalling, really good. Hope this means something to you. I have put a couple of things on yutube recently, type kingbrunodagaul in the search thingy, it's nowt spectacular, but it's what I'm up to lately, tell us what ya think. Keep up the good work mate.
Mack
Site Admin

Wow Bruce :D

Just started checking them vids out on Youtube. You haven't changed either cept you cut your hair. So far listened to "Serene" which is beautiful and "Advert - Love Story" :D :D :D you haven't changed a bit, that made me laugh.

I've got some editted copies of the old videos we done from SADOL days and there's some with you and the Reinforcements lads. Theres a really funny one in Beaver Workshops when you come over and George wasn't there and your Fender amp had blew up or something and you were going on about "Mackers pointy Head", you had us all in stitches. The vids are up in the attic, when I get time i really must convert these to digital and upload extacts.

Anyhows back to having a look at your vids.

Good Stuff Bruce :D

Mack
Mack
Site Admin

Bruce btw try doing google search for "Reinforcements SADOL" you are showing top in Google now with this search term that links here to this thread on our site so hopefully this will bring more old SADOL members here to give you info about Tom Prior. I'll type in George McKane here too in this reply to see if both searches in Google bring this thread back up top. I bet Debbie Hudson finds us soon too. She loved SADOL " Sons and Daughters of Liverpool "

Mack
Mad Bruce

[quote="Mack"]Bruce btw try doing google search for "Reinforcements SADOL" you are showing top in Google now with this search term that links here to this thread on our site so hopefully this will bring more old SADOL members here to give you info about Tom Prior. I'll type in George McKane here too in this reply to see if both searches in Google bring this thread back up top. I bet Debbie Hudson finds us soon too. She loved SADOL " Sons and Daughters of Liverpool "

Mack[/quote]

Nice one Macca, I value your opinions about my Yutube thingies, I checked out your photos and paintings etc, very impressive maan, I notice you been working hard all these years, I like your paintings, you remind me of a scouse Piccaso with a David Byrne flavour, you even look like David Byrne, ha ha. I like your use of colour and your focus on dreams and the dreamtime zone, well psycadelic mate, a kind of Aztec style too, brill. I heard about Paul O'keefe, sad, don't know how he passed on though?? I was watching one of our videos from Beaver workshops a couple of weeks ago with me girlfriend, one of our rehersals, and Paul is there, it's the maddest thing, Pauls just flips out doing a disco dance in front of us playing, oh man, it's so funny and mad. My girlfriend couldn't believe her eyes. She just sat there with a look of total shock. Paul must've been well stoned!!! It's on VHS, so I've got to convert it to digital and Yutube it, a must see, totally proves that scousers have got the best sense of humor on the planet, and Birkonians the second best, ha ha. Remember the video Reinforcements edited on those proffessional video recorders in SADOL. You were all in the room with us and we were falling off our chairs with laughter coz the video was so mad, things in reverse and stuff, Andy the bass player has still got the tape, hilarious. We were alternative comedians more than a rock band, ok, see ya soon and keep the artwork flowing.
bernie johno

Mack wrote:Cool

Thanks marielou. I used to take lots of pics in black and white as it was so easy to set up a darkroom when using b/w film. Colour was always a bit more complicated so I never really bothered with it. Thank goodness for digital cameras nowadays.

Mack
hi mack spoke to kevin musker today said he will have a look at the pic on the site. cheers bernie/.
hood st ,norton st, spenser st ,
Mack
Site Admin

Hiya Bernie

Nice one mate :D

Bruce I spoke to my mum and dad before and they still see Tommy Prior, he is losing his sight tho. Thought I'd let you know he is still around. btw can't wait to see that video of Paul Okeefe, he was a good lad.

Bezzy wishes

Mack
Silver-Haired-Hippy

Hey Mack, no idea how I got onto this thread :shock: but really enjoyed reading it, maybe some newbies on BT may find it interesting so I have bumped it up, a few of the earlier members will remember it, Lily etc.

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
scotty

Mack, Did you ever hear of the Buzz brothers? Bobby Wenton, who was in that group passed away a couple of days ago.They were mostly blues and soul.Bobby was a good mate of mine.
All gave some
Some gave all
bob. b

Just thought l would put this one on again was voted the youngest drummer on Merseyside
Anyone got the picture of all the groups outside St George's Hall 1960's
bob. b

Bootle band in the Mons

Maybe someone can put some names please
bob. b

Another band in the Mons
Bonesy

Here you go Bob, sorry couldnt make it larger.

Keith
Mack
Site Admin

Hee hee! This is a very old thread that has been resurrected. I can only post my own memories.

Audio Visual Records - Ken Kelly.

Launching the Modesty Kills album in 1986.

The Album Modesty Kills is still on display in the museum.

The first Audio Visual release photo of the bands on the steps of St Georges Hall in Liverpool with the Liverpool Echo & Daily Post newspapers.
With Joe Wall, Phil Armorgie, Daniel Woods, Alan Borkwood, Ken Kelly, Julie Borkwood, Ken Nelson, Peter McVeigh, Paul Whelan.

So many people in this photo. I wish I could recall everyone's names. I'm sure Ken could who started up the record label back then.

One I can remember is bottom right of the pic is Ken Nelson who went on to be a famous record producer with Coldplay.

BTW I'm wearing the white scarf in the pic near the middle and me old mate Paul is to the right of me leaning on my shoulder.

Me and Paul wearing coats and shades trying to look cool...

And finally here is us in our art studio at the time based in Art in Action - had great times experimenting with cameras to create a man on the telly image.
The theme was used on the Modesty Kills album which was great.