Dunnings Bridge Road / Copy Lane

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
rivermersey

How things have changed!! The Island in the distance is the junction were Dunningsbridge Road crosses Copy Lane. Nowdays a busy junction with Copy Lane Police station on the left hand side just after the junction, turning right at hte junction would lead to Old Roan Station.
The building site just visable in the near distance on the right became Dooley Drive, Deerbarn Drive part of the Old Roan housing estate.
In the further distance was Switch Island.

(More pictures to follow)
Born in Bootle 1960 lived on Bailey Drive then the old roan.
diyman

bloody marvelous mate keep em comin :D
Bernie R

Great stuff - any idea when that was taken?

Bern
Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
Joycen60

Great to see photos from this part of Bootle. Thanks
Lived Olive grove- just in Bootle. Schools Netherton Moss A, Netherton Park and Bootle Girls Grammar
Bootlelass-expat

Hi Rivermersey,

Absolutely loved seeing both photos, I grew up in Dooley Drive.Photo pre 1950 (My family moved in beginning of March 1952 building was still going on)

Ran across Dunnings Bridge Rd without a care into corn fields most of the time as a kid, almost no traffic.

Had to be a bit more careful crossing Ormskirk Rd to go to shops because of buses.

What wonderful memories that both photos have brought back. Very little posted/mentioned about this part of Bootle.

Thanks again

Doreen
daveowe

When I was a kid Dunnings Bridge Road was always referred as 'The new road' it was ahead of its time a dual carriageway, with a cycle path and footpath either side. The same planners envisaged a road through from Bailey Drive, the Netherton Way alongside Bootle Golf course over the canal passing the Cabbage Inn to link up with the Formby bye-pass. Today we see buildings going up on this corridor of land, to penny pinch for new build government grant education schemes. Then releasing the original school sites and playing fields for cash to private developers.

Shame the planners/committees now have not got foresight to plan for the future transport requirements as a the old Bootle council did.

daveowe
marcos_cu

What an amazing picture. Many thanks.
Formerly Assissian Crescent, Netherton - Bootle Grammar 1968-72

http://wip330.110mb.com/
http://www.withnellmill.co.uk/
diyman

as it is today 23/2/09
Eddy Lloyd

diyman you've been a busy boy today :D Thanks for the pics mate.
Joycen60

What time of the day was the photo taken? Last time I went along there in September it frightened me to death there was so much traffic! so different to when I lived there in the 50s and 60s.
Lived Olive grove- just in Bootle. Schools Netherton Moss A, Netherton Park and Bootle Girls Grammar
diyman

Joycen60 wrote:What time of the day was the photo taken? Last time I went along there in September it frightened me to death there was so much traffic! so different to when I lived there in the 50s and 60s.
it was about 2.15 pm,,,,,,,,and yes i was taking my life in my hands having to park, i was lucky to find a gap in the traffic i had all of 10 seconds to grab this pic,,,, :shock:
georgewiliam

The original photo reminds me that back from where it was taken , on the left hand side in the open fields next to the allotments, there were a couple of concrete bases on which, I believe, anti-aircraft guns were placed. I remember a derelict lorry tipped at a crazy angle which appeared to have been driven off one 'platform' and been too much trouble to retrieve. These bases were in that open space in front of the jet factory.
fr.philip-herluin

Thanks! We moved to Deerbarn Drive just after the houses were built and it was still pretty much a building site. It was Dad's idea to move there from Derby Road - I think mum prefered living in Bootle.....
fazerman

Bootlelassexpat wrote:Hi Rivermersey,

Absolutely loved seeing both photos, I grew up in Dooley Drive.Photo pre 1950 (My family moved in beginning of March 1952 building was still going on)

Ran across Dunnings Bridge Rd without a care into corn fields most of the time as a kid, almost no traffic.

Had to be a bit more careful crossing Ormskirk Rd to go to shops because of buses.

What wonderful memories that both photos have brought back. Very little posted/mentioned about this part of Bootle.

Thanks again

Doreen
My relatives lived in Dooley drive, name was Millers.
Bootlelass-expat

Hi Fazerman
Did they live in #9?
fazerman

Bootlelassexpat wrote:Hi Fazerman
Did they live in #9?
Yep :)
bluenose5

love it the good old days :wink:
Bitter Blue only when i talk to a Bitter red? Image
kenswayken

Anyone ever come across a family Bjelland who lived up that way ?
I went to WB with Billy, he went off to sea with PSNC and we lost touch. K
Bootlelass-expat

I remember both families.

The neighbourhood was awesome. Everyone moved in in the early 50"s and most of the neighbours were there at least 40 - 50 years. A few are still there.
I got married in "67 and moved away but was always back to be with family. Then when I came to live in America and told friends and neighbours "I was going home" I really meant it. I would be home for weeks/summers.
The neighbours treated me like I still lived there and some kept in touch thru mail and phone calls. Unfortunately like both my parents most of the "mums and dads" have passed on, but their faces/friendships/tellings off etc are vivid memories.
I'm going to make myself cry (tears of joy) if I carry on. I could write a book about playing in the street, bonfire night, leaving in an ambulance after misjudging the height of a wall, listening to records in our front room and a neighbours house, dad replacing broken windows in our house and others, the farm, going pea/potato picking, lorries going over at the traffic island and us kids running to see what we could get off the road.
One friendship is still going since 1952. One neighbour turned into a sisterinlaw. I met a "cousin" from Marl Road through this site and have stayed with her in Canada.

As I said before not much written about this part of Bootle until Rivermersey put the photo on. I have a photos "somewhere" of the coronation celebrations in Dooley Drive.

Enough of my ramblings. Thanks for bringing back memories of a wonderful childhood.

My adult children also have wonderful memories of visiting their grandparents, meeting the neighbours and getting a chippy dinner (from around the corner) as soon as they arrived.
fazerman

Bootlelassexpat wrote:I remember both families.

The neighbourhood was awesome. Everyone moved in in the early 50"s and most of the neighbours were there at least 40 - 50 years. A few are still there.
I got married in "67 and moved away but was always back to be with family. Then when I came to live in America and told friends and neighbours "I was going home" I really meant it. I would be home for weeks/summers.
The neighbours treated me like I still lived there and some kept in touch thru mail and phone calls. Unfortunately like both my parents most of the "mums and dads" have passed on, but their faces/friendships/tellings off etc are vivid memories.
I'm going to make myself cry (tears of joy) if I carry on. I could write a book about playing in the street, bonfire night, leaving in an ambulance after misjudging the height of a wall, listening to records in our front room and a neighbours house, dad replacing broken windows in our house and others, the farm, going pea/potato picking, lorries going over at the traffic island and us kids running to see what we could get off the road.
One friendship is still going since 1952. One neighbour turned into a sisterinlaw. I met a "cousin" from Marl Road through this site and have stayed with her in Canada.

As I said before not much written about this part of Bootle until Rivermersey put the photo on. I have a photos "somewhere" of the coronation celebrations in Dooley Drive.

Enough of my ramblings. Thanks for bringing back memories of a wonderful childhood.

My adult children also have wonderful memories of visiting their grandparents, meeting the neighbours and getting a chippy dinner (from around the corner) as soon as they arrived.
I spent most of my early young years playing in them fields with my cousins, i loved going to visit them, cos it was like an adventure, my elder cousin worked for the farmer, and he used to let us play in his fields, i remember everything about that picture on thread 1.

Ian
kenswayken

Those of us "exiled" to Ford and Netherton in early 50's found open fields, farms, lots of space and so many new adventures with new friends. It really was a great time to be a kid but I remember the struggles of my parents and don't remember they having too many good times, alas. Ken
BurscoughLad

Have just found this site, whilst browsing this evening.
It's amazing what you find!!!

The photo of the "new" road certainly brought back memories for me.

My father had a mobile van for fruit & veg. He started there when there were only about a dozen houses on Homestead / Marl Road in the very early 1950's. His business grew with the estate and when John Sutherland decided to retire from 1 Copy Lane, in 1961, my dad bought the business.

Sadly, he died in 1989, but my mum lived on for a further 19 years and was almost 96 when she died just over two years ago.

Lots of memories.
Will be back regularly on this site
Thanks for being here
Burscough Lad
from Copy Lane
PETER CRAIG

Last edited by PETER CRAIG on Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fr.philip-herluin

I just remember the fruit and veg van aqnd certainly the shop.
Great hearing from you.
You'll feel very much at home on the Forum; it's a great place, full of wonderful people.
Philip.
beardedpapa

I used to cycle along there from about 1956 till 1960 to get to English Electric factory at Netherton. Even then it was a lot busier than shown in the photo.. I was still damn glad they had a cycle path though. I believe the English Electric factory is long gone.
In my last year in the UK I used to stop off on the way home to go to work in the White house pup as a barman to get my 10 pound together to get to Australia. If I remember correctly the Regal cinema was on the opposite corner

beardedpapa
daveowe

beardedpapa wrote:I used to cycle along there from about 1956 till 1960 to get to English Electric factory at Netherton. Even then it was a lot busier than shown in the photo.. I was still damn glad they had a cycle path though. I believe the English Electric factory is long gone.
In my last year in the UK I used to stop off on the way home to go to work in the White house pup as a barman to get my 10 pound together to get to Australia. If I remember correctly the Regal cinema was on the opposite corner

beardedpapa
Quite correct the factory is long gone, which department did you work in? I was in Napiers as an apprentice, when they ceased operations transferred to Ehglish Electric. Alas the Regal and the White House no more.
Jean

Remember the fruit and veg van very well and the shop - Mr. Redding (Harold?)

Jeanl
BurscoughLad

Yes, it was Harold Redding.

I remember walking back along Dunningsbridge Road, holding up a Tilley lamp, so that Dad could follow in the van. They don't make pea-soupers like that any more!

Can any one remember when Scott's bakery was built?
That's also gone; along with the English Electric / Napiers.

About 10 / 15 years ago, the "Old Roan" pub was renamed "The Tut & Shive". It lasted about 2 years before it was changed back!!
And they think it's all progress!!
Burscough Lad
from Copy Lane
marielou

Some good pics of White house etc. on the following link.

http://www.litherlandtown.co.uk/a_frameset.html

Marie
We lose dignity if we tolerate the intolerable.
Alan M

kenswayken wrote:Anyone ever come across a family Bjelland who lived up that way ?
I went to WB with Billy, he went off to sea with PSNC and we lost touch. K
I worked on a rig with Billy,constructing Morecambe Bay gas field, he was some sort of deck officer IIRC
Alan
The best thing about being over the hill is that now I can have some fun and free-wheel down the other side. LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL.
daveowe

BurscoughLad wrote: About 10 / 15 years ago, the "Old Roan" pub was renamed "The Tut & Shive". It lasted about 2 years before it was changed back!!
And they think it's all progress!!
The Aintree British Legion (Old Roan) is now in its death throes, they held a meeting last week to declare they are insolvent!
BurscoughLad

That side of the A59 is going to look pretty abandoned then. That beautiful art deco building (was it Vernons or Littlewoods??) is falling apart and no Ribble bus depot! - I used to collect Ribble fleet numbers when I was a kid
Sad isn't it! But I didn't have a Gameboy y'see and goin' round in gangs wasn't the same as it is now.
Burscough Lad
from Copy Lane
Bootlelass-expat

Hi Burscoughlad,

How many times did a Ribble bus or a truck get stuck under the bridge by your shop.

The Old Roan was the most awful colour when they changed it, glad it went back - even though I lived there only drank in there once.
The first pub I drank in was the White House before going to the Litherland Town Hall dance.

I agree about the Vernon's building, can't understand how/why they left the tower standing - looks really odd.

Remember the Crisp place next to the Ribble offices/sheds.

Callow's Auto Place - Ron lived in Homestead Ave. Would love to know if his sister Barbara was on this site, or anyone who knows her whereabouts.

Shame about the British Legion Club, was a very popular place, knew a couple of women that worked there. I thought it had already gone - last time I was there it loooked like flats had been built there.
daveowe

Bootlelassexpat wrote:Hi Burscoughlad,

How many times did a Ribble bus or a truck get stuck under the bridge by your shop.

The Old Roan was the most awful colour when they changed it, glad it went back - even though I lived there only drank in there once.
The first pub I drank in was the White House before going to the Litherland Town Hall dance.

I agree about the Vernon's building, can't understand how/why they left the tower standing - looks really odd.

Remember the Crisp place next to the Ribble offices/sheds.

Callow's Auto Place - Ron lived in Homestead Ave. Would love to know if his sister Barbara was on this site, or anyone who knows her whereabouts.

Shame about the British Legion Club, was a very popular place, knew a couple of women that worked there. I thought it had already gone - last time I was there it loooked like flats had been built there.
Ron Callows, I bought my first car from him, it was a Vauxhall Viva, brand new @£610. With a £120 deposit HP over 3 years, he also threw in the insurance fully comp £24! There is still a Callows Tyre Centre on the site, over the years they had quite a number of fires. Next to the Legion there is a block of residential homes, Chris Curtis (Crummey) ex Searchers, lived there until his passing in 2005, he was frequent visitor in the Legion and often got up to sing..
Bootlelass-expat

I certainly remember Reddings Fruit & Veg. van and shop.

Have just had a conversation with a friend who grew up in Liverpool but lives here in RI. I was telling her how I saw the post by Burscoughlad and what lovely memories it brought back of the van and shop and going there.

She then proceded to tell me that reusable shopping bags are dangerous (according to the experts).

We laughed so hard when we talked about our terrible unhygenic mothers using the same bags for years and we weren't poisoned.

When I went to Reddings the potatoes were put in the bottom of the bag - loose and everything else put on top. Every now and again the bag got tipped upside down to get the soil out etc.

The grocery bag was used for years. Tins, bottles, meat (wrapped in paper - not prepacked) eggs, bread etc all packed together.

As my Mum got older and couldn't carry bags, a shopping bag on wheels was the way to go - and a sensible alternative I think. Still everything was packed in together and it was used for years.

It was such a refreshing conversation filled with laughter about how we survived to be healthy pensioners.

Thanks Burscoughlad - you never know who is reading the posts and what different kinds of pleasure it can bring to the reader.