Bootle Ghost Stories

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
King Tonka

Great story Eddy, :lol: :lol: :lol:
diesel

this is a tom sleman story of the head that chased a lad down sterrix lane in ford by the cemetery . a lad cutting through the cemetery heard a voice calling his name he looked a round and saw no one. being late and dark he ran on to sterix lane a couple of nights later same thing happend but this time a voice called out his name lowery lowery when he lookd all he saw was a head laughing at him calling his name so he ran from the cemetrey and ran up sterrix lane being chased by the laughing head . when he told his father what had happend his father said that the lad lowery his grand dad had accidently decapitaterd a man in a paper cutting machine in netherton/ in the 1950s it turns out the lads grand dad never turnd the power off and a man had hiss head cut off ........... any one no off this story :evil: :twisted: :roll:
tine

But how did John Bibby lose his head in the first place?

Tine
Campbell, Duffy, Davies, Melia, Gibson , O'Donnell, Owen and Evans Families.
bootlad1

diesel wrote:this is a tom sleman story of the head that chased a lad down sterrix lane in ford by the cemetery . a lad cutting through the cemetery heard a voice calling his name he looked a round and saw no one. being late and dark he ran on to sterix lane a couple of nights later same thing happend but this time a voice called out his name lowery lowery when he lookd all he saw was a head laughing at him calling his name so he ran from the cemetrey and ran up sterrix lane being chased by the laughing head . when he told his father what had happend his father said that the lad lowery his grand dad had accidently decapitaterd a man in a paper cutting machine in netherton/ in the 1950s it turns out the lads grand dad never turnd the power off and a man had hiss head cut off ........... any one no off this story :evil: :twisted: :roll:
:shock: hello there i grew up on ford heard that story loads of times and believe it i lived in musker drive for twenty years and believe that our house was haunted and although i never seen anything my sisters seen people and there was a feeling that someone was watching us all the time
JOBO

Hi

I remember the fire in Ash Street it was so sad Terri Clotworthy did survive but was horribly burnt, her Mother Kathleen also survived the friend to died was Donna Waugh her mum was a Johnson, my brother-in-law was a fire fighter who dealt with the fire Sid (the Father) was on a chair down stairs with the baby on his chest I think the baby was called Christopher he was fused to his Dad it give me shivers just remebering it I was good friends with Donna. I use to live in Beech Street people seen ghost in my house but not me.
rachy wachy

chris2209 wrote:
bootlebuck wrote:Henry you have me VERY curious can you tell me when this fire is supposed to have been & what No. please I will be most obliged to you or anyone else who can let me know.
Steuart.
THE FIRE WAS ABOUT 1975-76 IT WAS AT NUMBER 3 ASH STREET AND IT HAPPENED ON A SUNDAY MORNING MR CLOTHWORTHY DIED IN THE FIRE BUT I CANT REMEMBER HOW MANY CHILDREN DIED BUT THERE WAS QUITE A FEW ONE OF THE KIDS THAT DIED WAS A FAMILY FRIEND AND IM SURE HER SURNAME WAS JOINTSON OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT
that was my uncle sid that died in that fire, i wasnt alive when this happened but must have been horrific :cry:
rachy wachy

henry wrote:Jan Did you hear about the young kids whom got burnt to death in ASH STREET in the 60s and i think their names were Clotworthy and i think there was 3 plus a adult and as it was in those days before fire alarms were invented they had no warning
I have them all about my home as they may save my own life and my all families and for the price of a few batteries
that was my uncle sid in that fire :cry: an your right everyone should hav smoke alarms, there's no excuse these days not to have them x
Brunnyboy

i no a steven harper most of his family died in a fire in bootle i cant remember where
vinny

ONE OF THE GIRLS SURVIVED THE FIRE ALTHOUGH BADLY BURNT CANNOT REMEMBER HER FIRST NAME USED TO TALK TO HER SOMETIMES IN THE STRAND CLUB I THOUGHT HER NAME WAS ANGELA THOUGH I COULD BE WRONG
Blair Street ..Marsh Lane..Bootle Village..Now Brighton-le-Sands (Waterloo)
rachy wachy

vinny wrote:ONE OF THE GIRLS SURVIVED THE FIRE ALTHOUGH BADLY BURNT CANNOT REMEMBER HER FIRST NAME USED TO TALK TO HER SOMETIMES IN THE STRAND CLUB I THOUGHT HER NAME WAS ANGELA THOUGH I COULD BE WRONG
her name is terry, she's my cousin x
scouser

Rachy Wachy, my brother Jimmy Farley was one of Sid's best friends. mick.
harlock

i have been seaching for the history of the area.i would like to know your ghost stories of this area.i know there was a ghost at 20 springwell rd, glynn street,marion rd,does anyone know of these or any others.
jddry

hi been reading stories and thought id tell u mine we have a ghost we think its a little girl been lots of noises and sometimes someone calling your name when upstairs but family never called me, then at christmas we were having a sing song on karioke when i looked at the xmas tree and one of the bauble,s was spinning dead fast and i looked at my sister and she was watching it too we were mesmerised it was spining like a top but why we think its a little girl is because a taxi driver brought my son home from work one night and he said that house u live in has a ghost of a little girl because he knew some one who had lived there and seen her i have never been scared but have felt a little uncomfortable if i was on my own at night but i used to say little prayers for whoever was there to have peace and it seems to b settled now for a good while win an jd
nellie

I lived in Cedar street at the time of the house fire in Ash Street, as far as I can remember three or four children died plus the father Sid Clotworthy, one of the children to die was a young girl named Donna Waugh, she was baby sitting there that night with another girl, when Sid and his wife came back from being out they asked the girls if they wanted to stay the night, I heard that the fire was caused by one of the children playing with matches, Sids wife survived, her daughter Theresa, and the other girl who was baby sitting. It was horrific, my mother was traumatised by it as she knew the Clotworthy family very well.
nellie

I lived in Cedar street at the time of the house fire in Ash street, as far as I can remember 4 children died plus the father Sid Clotworthy, one of the children to die was a young girl named Donna Waugh, she was baby sitting there that night with another girl, when Sid and his wife came back from being out they asked the girls if they wanted to stay the night. Sids wife and daughter Theresa survived as well as the other young babysitter. I heard that the fire was caused by one of the children playing with matches. My mother was traumatised by it as she knew the Clotworthy family very well.
nellie

sorry about the double item, I thought that it hadn't gone in the first time, so I did it again.
Mildred

[quote="ron waters"]RON Did you know Billy and Dolly Hastings who lived in Ash St, they lived a couple of doors away from Beech St on the right hand side from Litherland rd , the family were in the Orange Lodge . RON W[/quote i remeber the Hasting family they lived two doors away from us. Mr Hastings used to breed Alsation dogs.

Susan McKenzie
Mildred

[quote="chris2209"][quote="bootlebuck"][i]Henry you have me VERY curious can you tell me when this fire is supposed to have been & what No. please I will be most obliged to you or anyone else who can let me know.
Steuart.[/i][/quote]

THE FIRE WAS ABOUT 1975-76 IT WAS AT NUMBER 3 ASH STREET AND IT HAPPENED ON A SUNDAY MORNING MR CLOTHWORTHY DIED IN THE FIRE BUT I CANT REMEMBER HOW MANY CHILDREN DIED BUT THERE WAS QUITE A FEW ONE OF THE KIDS THAT DIED WAS A FAMILY FRIEND AND IM SURE HER SURNAME WAS JOINTSON OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT[/quote] The fire was in no 3 Ash street and there were a lot of people in the house at the time. I was born and raised in Ash street and knew the family well my sister was God Mother to the girl who survived. Sue
Liverpudlian

What number Ash Street is the haunted house?
nedsed

i lived at 97 peel road in the late 80's early 90's and could not sleep one night .i had been down stairs to make a drink and was returning back up stairs to my bedroom at the front of the house .when i heard a strange noise in the distance outside on the road getting louder and closer to my house at this point i was in my bedroom and told my wife to come to the window.which i was looking out of at fist i thought it might be a milk float but alls i can say is the best way to desribe the sound was a horse and carrigde with more then one horse on a cobbled road appoaching my house from left to right left being scott street balfour rd end of peel road at a steady plod when it pasted my house by about 50 feet it speed up and rumbled into the distance. i had never heard the john bibby story before i was a netherton lad so had not lived there long .and were it speed up was facing the junction of bibbys lane .i was not drunk and me and my wife both heard it so vidid it was weird .i didnt see nothing it was a january night and we heard it again about 18mths later but not as clear we was'nt drinking or taking drugs .i have looked the story up since and has me very intrested now in strange things i know what i heared and dont care if people dont belive it i do .thanks neil
lily8

Hi and welcome Nedsed :P
Lily
carolmcb
Location: Born in St Johns Rd, Bootle, living in Norfolk! :-(

In 1970 my husband and I bought our first home - 30 Willard St., Bootle (off Hawthorne Rd) - and we moved in there with our young son. The neighbours were very welcoming, especially an elderly lady opposite, named Mrs Rice, who was so friendly and helpful. All was well for a time but then 'things' started to happen and the atmosphere in the house changed. Every night we'd turn the key in the back door and push the bolt home at the top of the door before going to bed but every morning, without fail, we started coming down to find the bolt had been drawn back though the key was still turned in the lock. This confused us and we each accused the other of forgetting to bolt the door so we started a routine - each night we'd both stand together and turn the key then push the bolt across! Every morning that bolt was drawn back before we got up! It was really weird and went on for several weeks.

Next thing my toddler son started a screaming match each time I put him to bed or upstairs on his own and he became so hysterical we had to move him back into our bedroom!

Then the noises started! Early hours of the morning we would be woken by the sounds coming up from the back sitting room. Somebody was dragging heavy wooden furniture across bare floors and there was a radio playing music. The first time we thought we had burglars but all was quiet when we walked down the stairs into the room and everything was in place, and every time it happened after that the same thing happened - as soon as we walked downstairs into the room the noises stopped! It was getting really creepy.

I started getting the feeling, too, that somebody was watching me and, worst of all, my little boy started clinging to my thigh like a limpet if I walked out of the room he was in!

After about 4 months of this Mrs Rice, our neighbour, came across and asked if she could have a word. She then told me that they old lady next door to us - Mrs Dore, known to all as Granny Dore - (a lady bedridden in the downstairs front room) had started complaining about us making a noise and 'having parties' and doing housework all hours of the night!!!

I spoke to Granny Dore and Mrs Rice then I asked Mrs Rice in to our house and showed her that all we had in the back sitting room was a small settee, a small table and 2 chairs AND, more importantly FITTED CARPETS - so no bare floorboards! She explained this to Granny Dore and said she would ask around. A couple of days later Mrs Rice came back to tell me that the couple who had lived in our house before us had been there all their married lives, had loved the house and had only moved up the road to the top corner of the Willard St/Monfa Rd, shortly before we bought it off the landlord. The wife's mother had been widowed and was very ill so needed full-time care which is why they moved.

The interesting thing, though, was that the husband was not happy following the move and, sadly, he had died. It was some weeks before the 'hauntings' of our house that this happened and Mrs Rice, our lovely neighbour reckoned that he had come back to the place where he'd been happiest.

I didn't tell my husband, as he did not believe in the afterworld, but one day I came back from the shops to find him sitting on the front step and the same thing happened several times until I asked him why he wasn't indoors. He then told me that he 'was nervous in the house on his own' and preferred to wait outside until I got back with our boy.

The noises continued and got worse so we eventually moved out but I always hoped that the man who'd lived there before us eventually found peace across the veil.
REID, ROBERTS, STAINES, BRAWN, HARDY, WILLIAMS, GRIFFITHS, DELANEY, CUDDY, SMITH, BYRNE, LUCAS, HEGARTY, HARVEY
kenswayken

Blimey Carol, you described that so well I got goosebumps in Kent !!
My late Mother reckoned she had had a visitation. She used to get up early to see my Brother, who was a milkman, out. One morning during a time of upset in the Family (2 deaths) she felt a hand on her arm which conveyed an "all will be well" message. She always referred to it as a visit from her friend and she convinced us all it did happen.
That was in Ford in a newly built house on formerly unused land, so no history that we knew of. :wink: Ken
davybaby

Taken by my Daughter couple of months ago at her boyfriends front room, the Dog is called Bubbles, and often has the habit of looking up to the ceiling and 'Licking the Air' as it were! Story is, the dog was owned by by an elderly Aunt who Loved him very much, but sadly has now passed away. The family claim, she still comes back to see her little pet,
hence the two pictures taken on a phone, there is an apparition which can be seen to the left and above the dog! the picture is totally untouched.

carolmcb

kenswayken wrote:Blimey Carol, you described that so well I got goosebumps in Kent !!
My late Mother reckoned she had had a visitation. She used to get up early to see my Brother, who was a milkman, out. One morning during a time of upset in the Family (2 deaths) she felt a hand on her arm which conveyed an "all will be well" message. She always referred to it as a visit from her friend and she convinced us all it did happen.
That was in Ford in a newly built house on formerly unused land, so no history that we knew of. :wink: Ken

Where about in Ford was that, Ken? I grew up on the Dartmouth Dr., in Ford, which was a brand new estate built in the 1950's. It's just over the bridge from Sterrix Lane/Ford Lane etc., past the pub on the canal bank. I believe, though, that whenever someone is suffering real stress/upset a loved one who's passed over always comes close to try to ease your pain. Also, you know when you put something down then come back to it later and it's totally disappeared, well I do believe that's just a loved one past who's trying to let you know they're there for you.

Regarding my story above, though, that really was a stressful time for us, especially my little boy who ended up a bag of nerves, but I don''t believe that the spirit was a bad one, just one who had loved that space and wanted to stay there. As I said, we decided to move out and the next house we bought was up two roads in Arvon St. A very similar house but with only gas lighting upstairs and needing a lot of upgrading. The old lady had died in the front room but, d'you know what?, it was a very calm house, no problems at all!
REID, ROBERTS, STAINES, BRAWN, HARDY, WILLIAMS, GRIFFITHS, DELANEY, CUDDY, SMITH, BYRNE, LUCAS, HEGARTY, HARVEY
carolmcb

davybaby wrote:Taken by my Daughter couple of months ago at her boyfriends front room, the Dog is called Bubbles, and often has the habit of looking up to the ceiling and 'Licking the Air' as it were! Story is, the dog was owned by by an elderly Aunt who Loved him very much, but sadly has now passed away. The family claim, she still comes back to see her little pet,
hence the two pictures taken on a phone, there is an apparition which can be seen to the left and above the dog! the picture is totally untouched.

I see the bit you mean. Strange isn't it, and I expect that's exactly what's happening there - the lady comes to see her dog! Lovely room and lovely dog.
henry

i cant see anything
What bit do you mean
HENRY BORN FLORIDA STREET OFF STRAND ROAD
kenswayken

Hi Carol, we were the other side of the canal. The pub you refer to was Cooksons. You are probably right but Mum found peace in that. Glad your next house turned out calm. Kind regards/Ken
kenswayken

Henry - behind that cage thing there is something :wink: K
carolmcb

kenswayken wrote:Hi Carol, we were the other side of the canal. The pub you refer to was Cooksons. You are probably right but Mum found peace in that. Glad your next house turned out calm. Kind regards/Ken
Yes, it was Cookson's Pub, Ken, and I'm glad your Mum found peace from that experience. My auntie and uncle lived/live in Poulsom Drive and I lived in Sterrix Lane myself from 2001 to 2004.

I thought we were looking at the dark shadowing above the open lounge door but now I see I was wrong as that's the lamplight shining through the door itself, though the dog does appear to be concentrating on something which we can't see.
carolmcb

After we moved away from Litherland some years after the incident in our first home in Willard St., I was living alone and decided to move on so I bought a house up the embankment on Egremont Prom looking down onto the river. I was going through some very low times and one day just after xmas I was sitting alone in the front room sobbing my heart out (I'd been like that for several days and was feeling very ill). As I tried to calm myself I leaned against the back of the armchair and tried to calm myself then a strange thing happened. I felt somebody gently stroking my head beginning at my forehead over the top and down towards my neck - very gently, very slowly! I found it comforting and started to relax and I actually stopping sobbing but, after a while, it suddenly struck me that I was entirely alone in the house. Alarmed somebody might have broken in I shot to my feet and spun round to see who was behind my chair but there was nobody there. I checked the whole house from top to bottom, back to front but found I was very alone. After that I always felt somebody was watching me and very often would sleep with every light in the house switched on. Some months later my son came to live with me and chose the very back bedroom overlooking the back yard. The room had a full length frosted door opening onto the landing and the top of the stairs. All was ok for the first few weeks until he ran into my front bedroom one night to say we had an intruder. We both ran downstairs to check but the house was quiet and secure. Two nights later he began yelling for me to come along the landing and I found him sitting in the corner of his bed staring at the door. He said he's seen 'it again!'

When I asked what he said he'd seen somebody come up the stairs - just a silouhette of head and shoulder, then before reaching the top stairs it disappeared. He said it'd happened a few times but that night he'd opened the bedroom door to see an old woman suddenly disappear into the stairs. Needless to say he didn't stay with me for long after that.

When I spoke to the man I'd bought the house from he said it was likely his wife who'd died 2 years earlier and that she'd loved the house and had lived there since the 1930's.

I got used to the sensation of someone gently stroking my head when I was upset after and, not long afterwards, my doctor found I was very ill at the time.
annie

carol i am so glad you have got over your awful illness and also that you seem to have a friendly ghost and maybe she is looking after you in her own way.and remember it was a happy house when she was alive
carolmcb

Thanks Annie, when I moved into my next house in Litherland all was quiet until I suddenly started to smell a faint whiff of lavender which would sort of float past me in the lounge from the hall door to the back window of the lounge. I didn't tell anybody about it but it did worry me a bit then one day my sister was visiting and while we were talking I smelt the smell of lavender pass right in front of me and go towards the window again. I just carried on talking but I noticed my sister's face with a puzzled look on it and asked if something was wrong. She said 'did you smell that?' When I asked what she meant she said she'd just got the faint smell of lavender float past her like as though someone wearing it had walked into the room and gone past us towards the back window.
I told her I was aware of it but had no idea what/who it was but some time later, when I had cause to speak to the people who'd sold me the house, the wife told me that she was born in that house and her mum had died in it and had loved lavender scent and flowers.

That too, though, was a lovely calm house so I had no worries.
However, a short time after that incident myself and another sister went to a spiritualist church in Crosby (1st time ever we'd been and we saw it in the echo advert). During the evening a man opposite was staring at me all through the meeting and was really annoying me. When it was time to leave he actually apologised to me for staring rudely then went on to tell me it was because of the striking resemblance between myself and my guardian angel who'd been standing behind my chair throughout the meeting - "look, he said, she's still standing there!"

We looked around but saw nobody and, more importantly, my chair was back against the wall so nobody could possibly have been standing behind it. The man turned out to be a spiritualist, very nice, and actually described the lady in detail saying 'she's exactly as she looks in the photograph' and that she was possibly 2 generations back. "Look for the photo!" he said, "there is a photograph! You look very like her!"

Some months later another of our sisters visited from down south and we went to see her in our eldest sisters' house. While there I spotted a carrier bag by the side of the settee and asked where it had come from. Our eldest sister said it had come from our deceased parents' loft after my brother had been having a clearout. There were 2 very old photo albums and as I went through them, guess what, I found the photo, exactly as the guy in Crosby had described it with the lady standing behind a high-backed chair, her dress type and how her hair was pinned at the nape of the neck! When I showed my sisters we were all gobsmacked but none of us had ever seen the photo before so we had no idea who the lady was though we knew she was not our nan.

A few months later I took a copy of the photo with me when I met my mum's cousin in Liverpool for a shopping trip and asked her if she knew who the woman was. Cous said 'yes, that's my grandmother and she's your great grandmother!"

I told her the story and she was really pleased to hear it. I was really pleased too, to hear who this lovely young lady was and to know that she's my guardian angel, always with me. She was my nan's mum who died quite young when my nan was just 13.

I left Liverpool a short time back but I would love to visit that spiritualist again when I get back there and tell him about it - if the man's still there.
frank delamere

not a proper ghost story but! years ago, i went down the cellar in our house, to put a shilling in the meter, at the time we did not have a light there, until years later i put one in. now the walls were whitewashed, and as i went to put the shilling in, a circle lit up [just like a porthole ] and on the other side i could see a body in a bed with a white sheet over the head.
now i flew up stairs and said do you what i!ve just seen, and my brother said its more than likely me. the very next day he was carted of to walton hospital from the gasworks, his duodenal ulcer had burst. when i went to walton that night to his word, he had been shifted, so the nurse told me how to get there the back way, using the fire escape steps. so went up the steps
and at the top was a door with a porthole in it, when i looked through the glass there was a body on a bed with a white sheet over it. i burst through the door crying he!s dead is!nt he, the nurse cooled me down and explained,
my brother was o/k. what had happened was, someone had died, and with it being visiting hours, the body was put in the annexe. so at least that part was right. my brother ame out of the hospital with 2 1/3ds of his stomach gone. done by keyhole surgery that long ago

frank
stevom_2009

frank, bet you and your brother were glad it wasn't porthole surgery. steve m. :wink: :wink:
friend.of.many.enemy.of.non