Bootle Ghost Stories

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
Mack
Site Admin

Bootle Ghost Stories

Jan Started this thread...

Mack

Hi

I mentioned in an earlier post that my sisters house is haunted,(she lives near Ash St mission) my nephew came to visit me and I was telling him about this website and mentioned about the ghost stories etc.

Well, he told me that their unwelcome visitors are playing up!

He has red indian fugurines in his bedroom and he arranges them in a certain way, so that they are facing the window as if they are looking out.

He went to his bedroom the other day and found that the figures had been turned around to face the door, one on the floor and another slightly chipped, that is not the first time that has happened with the figures being moved!

I accused him of having one too many lol, but he doesn't drink.

As the house is not mainly occupied during the day and my nephew has a lock on his bedroom door anyway.

My other nephew(his brother) was getting out of a taxi outside the house a few weeks ago, the taxi driver asked my nephew if he lived in THAT house, and pointed to where my sisters house is, my nephew of course replied that he did live there, the taxi driver told my nephew that he had a friend who lived in that house years ago, he then said, did you know it was haunted?

Well, my nephew told him about the things that had been happening in the house over the past few years, the taxi driver then said Rather you than me mate!

Needless to say, I don't visit my sister that often!

Jan

It is said that a lady walks around Bootle cemetery wall pushing a big old silver cross pram crying, looking for her child.

Last year the local milk man approached her by bootle library and ask her was she ok she just looked at him and carried on walking when he looked around she was gone ..

kay426

Hi, I don't live far from the cemetery.

I have seen that lady with the pram. one morning when I was going to do an 'early' on the buses.

Another driver has also mentioned he saw her one early morning.

Ron

keep the ghost stories coming ..i love to read them.. i have read all on tom selems site .some weird ones on there

annie
Last edited by Mack on Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:53 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Mack
Site Admin

Keep your ghost stories coming in....

Lets get spooky...

Mack
bootlejoy

I dont have any ghost stories to tell you about, but I do love them. I'm a big fan of Tom Slemen. So please keep them coming.
Joy
Joy, Berry St, Bootle, now Perth, West Australia
Mack
Site Admin

I've moved the Watts Lane Ghost topic on our Bootle forum to this thread

Mack

PETER CRAIG

Hello everyone,
can anyone shed a light on a ghost which is seen quite often walking down Watts Lane on the cemetery side, a woman pushing a pram and some times a shopping trolley,
Thanks,

Peter.

Peter W

The story I heard occured about 4 years ago, when the Bootle & Orrell History Group were meeting in the Hub-Nub Community centre in Linacre Lane.

A gentleman came in and said as he was walking down Linacre Lane, outside Bootle cemetry gates, he spotted a woman dressed in old fashion clothes pushing an old pram presumebly with a baby inside on the opposite side to him. The young woman looked distressed, so this man decided to cross over the road to see if he could help.
He looked to see if any traffic was coming down Linacre Lane. When he crossed over the young woman and the pram had gone.
This man when he spoke to us was a little shaken. It was told many years age that this young womans husband was a patient in The Bootle Corporation Infectious diseases Hospital, where he died. She has been walking up a down Linacre lane looking for her husband. Quite a number of people have seen her.

PETER CRAIG

Hello Peter W,

Thanks for the info, I have a friend who lives down Watts lane and he has seen her a few times, I did not beleive him at first but with speaking to some of the neighbours down there it seems that this woman is being seen more offten,

Peter.

red ron

Hi folks, I have seen that lady in Linacre Lane. I was going in to do an early on the buses in Hawthorne Road. At least one other driver has seen her at roughly the same spot while also going to do an early. R R

Patricia Simpson

Hi Peter Craig, I lived at 24 Watts Lane from year '54-'62, my brother still lives there.

Through the night we would hear a baby cry in the street but no one found out about it. But living opposite a cemetery was creepy anyway. The man next door coming home from work early hours of morning would walk around the round-a-bout and passed the crescent to get home rather than pass the gates since a man jumped over the railings and disappeared in front of him.

Pat.
Last edited by Mack on Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bootlebuck

:!: Jan you have me intriqued,I was born & raised in Ash Street,[ I believe your sis lives in Beech St,] but all the time I lived there on & off close on 20 year I never heard of any ghost tales, how long ago is this house supposed to be haunted & what No is it. :?:
Ron H.
annie

reading in the echo that jimmy clithero is haunting the empire theatre. any truth in it as i am going there in december and would be frightened to death if i met him considering his size
Jan

:lol:

Ron H,

I don't know how long my sis's house has had these spooks, but she has been there about 8 years.

She has even seen the ghost of a dog running round the house.

One evening, she was laying on the settee, watching telly, and she was in the house on her own, anyway, she dozed off, her hand was nudged by this dog, she felt helself stroking the dog!! her own dog wasn't even in the room at the time and she knew it wasn't him as he was in the kitchen with the doors shut! :shock:

Jan
Mack
Site Admin

Peter Wooley sent this message + pic through earlier this evening by email.

Best wishes

Mack

A number of years ago a Charles Bedford used to write the Down Memory Lane feature in the Bootle Times. When he died, I took over from him with the name Raymond Patrick. one item was this postcard which appeared in the Bootle Times during World War II. But because of all the news about the war, it did not get the coverage it needed.

This so-called apparition appeared on the back windo of a house at number 4 Tennyson Street Bootle.
It looked liked the figure of the Virgin Mary. Those who saw it said it dissapeared then re-appeared over 7 days.

It caused an uproar in the area, It dissapeared in a week. Some believed it others did'nt. Does anyone remember it.

Peter W.
Mack
Site Admin

Spooky photo there Pete.

Hope you're all watching Most Haunted - LIVE on Living TV - tonight + tomorrow night.

Mack
Peter W

:roll: In 1966 when I was a Bootle scuffer, we had to patrol through Bootle cemetery twice during our night shift. (Scary!) On the corner of Linacre Lane and Watts Lane was a concrete Police box which we had to visit every hour on the hour. The box had an iron door and inside was a one bar electric fire, desk, chair and small filing cabinet which held forms and stationary.
The box was set in the corner of the wall that surounded the cemetery. with no path around the box.

One Sunday morning around 2am I let myself into the box as it was freezing cold outside, and I needed a warm. and I switched off the light inside the box.

With the flickering of the electric fire in the dark I started to nod off.

I was awakened by a sound outside the box. I listened and heard footsteps outside. I opened the door looked out but there was no-one around. I even looked over the cemetery wall in case it was another copper playing a trick. Nothing could be seen.

I returned inside the box, closed the door, and started on my paper -work. After a few minutes, I heard scuffling out side the box. This time footsteps were heard with one foot scraping along the ground. (Remember that the box was set into the wall) the footsteps walked right around the box as if there was a path around it, three times.

I was shaking and sweating profusly, and I rang the station for some-one to come a pick me up as I refused to leave the Police box.

I was told that this had happend to most Bobbies over the years. One explanation was that a Police Inspector was buuried behind the box and its believed he still patrolled the area. And he had a gammy leg.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan

:shock:

Very frightening Peter.

I was going through the cem a few years ago, but it wasn't that dark, there was a figure of a man sitting by one of the headstones, chiselling away! when I asked him what he was doing, he turned and said to me, Bloomin fools, they spelt my name wrong!

Jan
red ron

Hi Jan, Good one that. I believe you. R R
annie

hi peter i knew you were a bootle scuffer (as you called them) i saw your photo in your book bootle and orrell and a handsome young man you were ,, my hubby's boss is also in your book when he was in the force .his name was jess bailey and according to your book he was in the police swimming squad. keep up the good work with your books
Peter W

:lol: Hi Annie!, Thanks for the compliments. What was your husbands name I might have known him.?
n3ttl3

Well, last night at about 10pm the electric went off, not just in our house but the rest of the street and surrounding area, including streetlamps. I decided to go and get the 'tranny' from the dining room to see if anything was on the local radio. Went out armed with my tiny torch and saw this shape over by the fridge - screamed and ran back in the living room. Hubby came charging out with his bigger torch to show me that...........

It was the shadow of the bonsai tree on the dining room table! :shock: I don't like the dark at the best of times, but the shape of it looked like a head with curly hair at a child's head height! Did I feel soft or what :lol:

Enjoy halloween everyone!

Annette
Always a Carey, Never a Traitor!
frank delamere

bootlebuck wrote: :!: Jan you have me intriqued,I was born & raised in Ash Street,[ I believe your sis lives in Beech St,] but all the time I lived there on & off close on 20 year I never heard of any ghost tales, how long ago is this house supposed to be haunted & what No is it. :?:
Ron H.
hello ron h, when you lived in ash street, did you know my great aunt at number 9 annie ellison, nee roberts. she lived directly opposite the church
frank
PETER CRAIG

Last edited by PETER CRAIG on Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
red ron

Hi Frank, was your great aunt related to the Ellisons from Oak St. Jimmy, and Billy and Ned ? R R
bootlebuck

Hi RR, hope you didney take offence at my wee joke about your age,now Billy Ellison was he not the Billy who went to work for Ginger McCane's stable. think they lived next door to a family called Hitchcock,if the same one he was a tiny wee lad as I recall but not so wee later on. I was chating to sister today & his name amongst many others came up, have you seen anything of him these days?.
The third Ron Ron H.
ron waters

RON Did you know Billy and Dolly Hastings who lived in Ash St, they lived a couple of doors away from Beech St on the right hand side from Litherland rd , the family were in the Orange Lodge . RON W
red ron

Hi OLD Ron W, I seem to recall the name, Did they live in 10 or 66 ??
Joke Ron. Did Billy work on the bootle corpy ? I am almost 100% certain I worked with him in 60s / 70s. The poor man isn't a relative of yours, is he ? R R
annie

HELLO PETER HIS NAME WAS JOE O'SULLIVAN AND HE WAS HEAD GRONDSMAN AT BOOTLE GOLF COURSE FOR A NUMBER OF YEARS .MY HUSBAND TOOK OVER THE JOB FROM JESS BAILEY
frank delamere

red ron wrote:Hi Frank, was your great aunt related to the Ellisons from Oak St. Jimmy, and Billy and Ned ? R R
to be honest ron, i would!nt know. uncle dave as we called him, came from the kirkdale area.
frank
red ron

Hi Frank, Never mind.
Hiya Ron H. yes thats the gang, I worked with all of them. There was Jim ( Slicker )deceased. Ned and Jockey Billy. He married a wealthy woman racehorse owner down south somewhere. I think he got a divorce.
He had a fall out with Ginger. He was a great sport, I remember we hung him up by his feet to a lamp post one time because he was tormenting us. left him there for a few screaming minutes. He took it all in his stride.
Ned lives in Orrell. Regards R R.
carolmcb
Location: Born in St Johns Rd, Bootle, living in Norfolk! :-(

I've just been reading this thread because I love spooky stories. :roll:

I notice that there is mention of a house in Ash St, Bootle! Is that the Ash Street off the Linacre Road bridge there, you get into it as you turn left off Linacre Lane (from Litherland end) then take the first left again just before the nursery on the front there, then right to get up to Ash?

I only ask because I knew a couple who lived there some years back. Their house had a covered back yard where the previous owner used to work on cars apparently!

I remember visiting them not long after they moved in. I lost touch with the couple but later found out that the lady of the house died of cancer. I don't know if her husband stayed on in the house after that!

Sorry if I appear to be rambling, but when I saw the name of the road I just wondered if it was the same house. I can't remember what number it was.
REID, ROBERTS, STAINES, BRAWN, HARDY, WILLIAMS, GRIFFITHS, DELANEY, CUDDY, SMITH, BYRNE, LUCAS, HEGARTY, HARVEY
carolmcb
Location: Born in St Johns Rd, Bootle, living in Norfolk! :-(

While I'm on this thread, can I tell you of something that happened to us years ago?

I got married in 1969 and the first house we bought was in Willard Street, off Hawthorne Road (near to the Ribble Bus Garages). My husband and I moved in with our baby and started to 'make it our own'! We made structural alterations and decorated.

We'd bought the house off a couple who had moved up to the top corner of Willard/Monfa Road. They had lived in our house all their married life until her father died and they decided to move into her parents house (Williard/Monfa) because it was bigger and because she wanted to take care of her widowed mother.

Anyway, all seemed ok until 'things' started to happen! For some unknown reason we suddenly began having disturbed night's sleep because of the people next door. Late at night and throughout the early hours we had to endure the incessant music (same every night) on the transistor radio in their back sitting-room. Also, they moved their heavy wooden furniture round night after night, so to us, it seemed that they had no carpets, just bare floorboards and this heavy furniture was being dragged backwards and forwards across the room! :shock:

Then we'd hear them poking the firegrate, poke, poke, poke! :x

Another thing that started happening - at the same time - was the bolt on the back kitchen door (to the yard) was pulled back every morning when we got up! We were pedantic about locking up properly and, after it happened a couple of times (and my husband blamed me :shock: ) we began to check and double-check every night that the door was locked and bolted and even began taking the mortice key out and upstairs with us!

Next thing my toddler started behaving oddly in that he wouldn't let me leave him alone in any room in the house and screamed blue murder if I tried to leave him in bed alone! We got to the stage where I was actually trying to do my housework with this child clinging bodily to my leg!

I went down to the shops one day with my little fella for some bits and bobs and when I turned back into Willard Street it was to see my 16 stone husband sat sitting on the doorstep! When I asked him what was wrong he said he didn't like being in the house alone so was waiting for me to get back!

After talking to an old lady neighbour opposite and complaining to her about the nightly noise from next door she actually took me in to meet the lady who DID actually live there and I was gobsmacked when I found the poor old dear was bedridden in the front lounge! We chatted and SHE started to complain to ME about the noise that we were making every night keeping her and her son (who lived with and looked after her) awake! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

This was really getting spooky by now then they both told me how the man who used to live in our house had sadly died 3 months after moving up to his mother in laws on the top corner! This would've been just before our noisy problems started!

We sold the house and moved out but about 6 months after we'd moved the lady who bought the house off us collared me one day in the post office and said "Why didn't you tell me there was something funny about that house?"

I felt awful asking her what she was talking about, especially when she started to tell me what was going on and how nervous her little boy had become. Then she made me feel dreadful by saying "We couldn't stand it so we've moved out and left the house for the mortgage people to repossess it! We'd rather live in a mouse-infested flat in Seaforth than in that place!" she said.

I went home and cried, mostly through guilt but also through fear that whatever was in that house might've followed us! Thankfully nothing did!

However, after we left the area, whenever I was near enough I'd drive down Willard Street and more often than not the house was empty and up for sale again! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
REID, ROBERTS, STAINES, BRAWN, HARDY, WILLIAMS, GRIFFITHS, DELANEY, CUDDY, SMITH, BYRNE, LUCAS, HEGARTY, HARVEY
Peter W

In a previus post I mentioned about the time when a "Copper" I was in Police box at juntion of Watts Lane/Linacre Lane and about the ghostly sounds.

When I received the photographs of P.C. George Dalgano, last week, his daughter told me that, that particular Police box was his favourite. He told his family that when he died, he wanted to be buried in Bootle Cemetery as near to the back of the police box as possible. And he was!. I wonder if that was George I heard walking around the police box that night. Maybe he was still patrolling the beat after death. I dont believe he would have done me any harm if I had actually seen him, if I had known the story
beforehand. :roll: A further photogragh of George to follow.
bootlebuck

Hi Jan just had a scan thro the ghosty tales, a little bit extra about the dog has come my way, out of curosity have you any idea of the colour of it? I'll tell you mine if you tell me yours :lol:
Steuart.
Jan

:lol:

Hi Steuart,

I am not too sure about the dog, I think it was an alsatian, I will have to ask Carol about it.

Now tell me more :twisted:

Jan
Mack
Site Admin

Received by email - Peter Woolley

This is P.C. 50 George Dalgano.

Peter W
henry

There was a series PC49 was the series based on a PC49 in BOOTLE/LPOOL police force as the actor was Brian Reece and he was from Lpool
bootlebuck

Hi Jan BOO was at sisters today[Mon] & she was saying she rememberd @ the top of Ash was a family called FORD whom she seems to think were some relation to Carruthers & they had a white dog with a brown patch on it's head & it used to spend a lot of time @ Ginny's house,hence the question about the possible colour, breed unknown. Sorry info so minimal but hey even a 1/4 inch eventually can make an inch if you keep adding to it :twisted:
steuart
Jan

:lol: :lol:

Thanks for that Steuart,

I looked in the 1938 directory and at No 5 Ash Street was Alfred Ford.

at my sister's in 1938 was James Greenshields - Mariner.

:roll:

Jan
bootlebuck

Think this was Ginny's Dad, sure sis thought it was Greenhalgh tho but you have the records so who am I to disagree.
steuart
Jan

I will have to go to the library and have a look at other directories, before and after 1938.

I will have a look at 1911 in a mo.

:shock:

John W Greenshields - Mariner was there in 1911

Jan