Bootle Oriel Road Railway Station

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
Driver2885

nikobeans wrote:TONY FLYNN.USED TO SELL ECHO AT ORIEL STATION ,WENT ON TO WORK IN TICKET OFFICE,I THINK TONY STILL LIVES IN ORIEL ROAD.
filsgreen

Welcome to the forum, Driver, thanks for the info. :D
Saturday girl

Thankyou filsgreen.

Obviously I'm new compared to some on here.
My dad Jimmy worked for British Rail and was well known around the station area. More so because he pulled a boy off the tracks and saved his life. The story was apparently followed up with the Bootle Times or Echo, dad was awarded £2 for his bravery.
My mum told me this story early this year - sadly she is no longer with us so I can't ask her anymore details. We lived in Oriel Road, and my dad and brothers knew Tony Flynn .

Our house backed into the platform. There is a car park opposite now and the house is flats - I think. All of that row were railway workers houses when we lived there.
bob. b

And Welcome to the site

Bobby
Dan

Logo removed from photos.
oriel55 wrote: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:50 pm Bootle Oriel Road Railway Station: All photos taken 21 December 2008: :D

Plus one photo from March 1 2019 taken by British Rail Engineers.

Replacement of railway bridge on the Liverpool - Southport Line. It spans the canal in Bootle but not sure where.

Link below is for a time-lapse view of the bridge installation.

https://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.u ... tle-bridge
Elaine Goulding

Dan really enjoyed photos of Bootle station. I have been home since 2008 but never had the need to get a train so did not know how much work had been done. Cannot believe the changes and the way they have cleaned the whole place up. I can only ever remember going under the tunnel to get a train when I was a kid and if it had been raining that tunnel was full of water.
Elaine

Bianca Street, Bootle - moved to Canada 1982
Maureeng

The Wyndham Hotel was my dad's second home when we lived on Balliol Road, the railway station has completely changed, looks really modern now, the shops next to the Wyndham Hotel seem to have decreased, where is Joyce's fruit and veg shop and the chemist,lol, Joyce was a friend of my mum. :)
oriel55

The shops are all gone as such. Only the Chinese take-away exists. The shop fronts were removed and each shop has been converted into five tiny flats.
Joyce from the Fruit & Veg Shop passed away last year, 2019, on November 12. She was 98.
Dan

Bootle Times July1 1982.

Demolition of Nos. 17-27 Oriel Road.