Bootle Schools

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
jean eaton

# Las Vegas high school grad rates drop - KTNV ABC,Channel 13 ...
... ABC,Channel 13,Las Vegas,Nevada,News,Weather,Sports,Entertainment,KTNV.com,Action News .:. Las Vegas high school grad rates drop ... in four kids drops out of high school ...
http://www.ktnv.com/global/story.asp?s= ... =Printable

Very happy to say that one grandchild in university and the other a junior in high school and doing well. I give the teachers so much credit for teaching these days. Not like when we went to school,We stood up when the teacher entered the class room and no back talk.
JULIA ARROWSMITH

Im so glad my children are grown up but its the grandchildren I worry about now all seem nice kids I just hope they dont turn with a bit of peer presure
julia arrowsmith
carolmcb
Location: Born in St Johns Rd, Bootle, living in Norfolk! :-(

I absolutely loved my schooldays - apart from the 2 bullies (girls) who were total idiots. I went to Netherton Moss Infants & Juniors then on to Countess of Derby in 1961 and enjoyed every minute of it all. There was no heavy discipline and the most annoying was 500 (or 1000) lines. The teachers who's names remain in my mind are Mr Burt (Juniors) he was lovely and very kindly and most of the teachers from my years at Countess of Derby were brilliant apart from Miss Copeland who was a complete ted-loon who, on our first day with her, informed us that she was an alien with secret powers and that she had lived in her house ever since her spaceship had crash-landed in the back garden 50 years before and it was still there! :shock: She then told us that we each had to bring in, on a weekly basis, small, empty meat-paste jars which she would fill with her home-made crab apple jelly and we had to buy them. "and woe-betide any girl who fails to do so!" she said!

She used to point at you and roar at you if you failed to bring in the required jars or failed to buy crab apple jelly. We got lines if we didn't comply so I got in strife often because being from a large family mum didn't have the money to waste on rubbish like crab-apple jelly! Miss Copeland was a raving nutcase and scarey with it.

We would laugh as we saw her arriving at/leaving school on her bottle green bike because her ankle length pleated skirt would flap about in the wind and show her pink, knee length bloomers as she pedaled along.

I think, though, that if any of us were very badly treated at school (either the grammar or Countess) the abuser would've had my mum to contend with!
REID, ROBERTS, STAINES, BRAWN, HARDY, WILLIAMS, GRIFFITHS, DELANEY, CUDDY, SMITH, BYRNE, LUCAS, HEGARTY, HARVEY
Alan M

matt wethered wrote:Hi Tony,lot of good latin did me as an engineering mechanic 1st class(classy name for a stoker) in the submarine service :lol: :lol: but I did make acting leading stoker after nine years,see what amo,amas,amamus amatis, amant can do for you.Poor gentle Ben,all those years of poking and that is the sum of my knowledge of Latin.Remember Vernon very well,couldnt stop sniffing another nasty little man,but what about the english lit teacher Murray,at least he gave up and went and took a vow of silence and became a monk.He was the token RC teacher and used to take RC assembly in the mornings after that horrible and religiously bigoted phrase"Roman Catholics fall out"came from Jean D Berbiers mouth
Join in on some other topics Tony and lets get away from that hatefull school
Matt
Back of the class for you, Wethered...what happened to AMAT, which follows amas :roll: :roll: .
No wonder you ended up a bubblehead...I quite liked Latin, like you, it really helped me in the MN.
Take care
Alan
The best thing about being over the hill is that now I can have some fun and free-wheel down the other side. LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL.
tony00165

EdMcDonald wrote:
Pamsy wrote:
The Lollyman wrote:I WENT TO ROBERTS SCHOOL IN PENNINGTON AVE I CAN REMEMBER MR MURRY ARRIVING HE WAS PT INSTUCTOR IN THE FORCES WE ALL CALLED HIM SUPERMAN AND HE WAS VERY FAIR NEVER
DID I SEE HIM ABUSE ANY BOY .PUT HIM RIGHT YES A GENTELMAN
What year was that at Robert's.....sounds like 1956 in there, some time....his name rings a bell with me before the boys went to St George of England school
I'm sure Mr Murray was at St Georges in 1953 54.
........Ed.....we moved from Stafford street in marsh lane in 1949 to orrell. me and our Bill were put in St monicas Juniors and our bill made a friend of 'Danny Murray' Mr Murrays son...they lived in Vaux crescent by the ODVA in Fernhill road....the name Vaux crescent was actually fixed to the front of their house.......They moved to netherton and a family called King moved in....by a fluke our Bill became a great friend of one of the lads Jimmy King as they sat next to each other in the junior school...A couple of years later I remember going to a teenage dance in St George of England school and Mr Murray was in charge....all the kids were packed around the hall with the center of the floor empty....As you can imagine we were all terrified of 'getting up' and he was showing everyone how to do the 'Valita'.....I remember praying that he wouldn't pick on me...(I'd have died).....that would be about 1957/58 and rock'n roll hadn't got to teenage dances at that time. I knew Brian Murray the youngest son later on and when we got to drinking age would see him in the mount playing the guitarand singing with a gang of lads......I think the murray family lived around Captains lane/Galworthy avenue. Mr Murray never taught me as I went to the Grammar but most of my friends went to St Georges and he taught them.
eddieM

merseygirl wrote:
Eddy Lloyd wrote:Here's me talking like a saint :D :D The raiway lines were our playing grounds and also the docks and that was when I was 7 or 8 years of age, I just never got caught or my Dads belt would have been off. :shock:
I used to go to the dock.Doreen Sumner lived there as her dad was a diver & they had a house there
We'd climb the lumber & go around the ships where the sea men would give us candy,under the eye of the guard of course
She had a brother John,you may know him?
Hi Merseygirl . I remember John Sumner I was his best mate in the junior school. I went to tea once at his house and I was fascinated by the ships going through the lock outside their window. I had to go on the overhead railway to get to the dock gate.(Can't remember which gate).
Lived at Armstrong St, Sherborne Ave, Coventry Ave. Still in Netherton.
Linz

Hi all, I'm not sure if you are aware that John Sumner passed away a little while ago. I am a friend of his sister Ann (Subby).

Linz.
PaulOB

merseygirl wrote:I remember Mrs.Peel & Mr.Roberts was one of my teachers
I was there 1948 Mr.Murry was head Master
Mr.Hartly went to Roberts when I went to Roberts Snr.
Mr Cook was also a teacher at Gray St,
Do you remember Mr Booth,? he was my teacher 1960 to 65 Mr Horn was the headmaster, big eyebrows and hairy ears, smelt of moth balls, I remember Mrs Peel she was a looker.
PETER CRAIG

Welcome to the Bootle forum Paul,
Peter.
jean eaton

Welcome to the Bootle forum Paul.
I went to a school in Litherland.
Pamsy

merseygirl wrote:I remember Mrs.Peel & Mr.Roberts was one of my teachers
I was there 1948 Mr.Murry was head Master
Mr.Hartly went to Roberts when I went to Roberts Snr.
Mr Cook was also a teacher at Gray St,
I liked Mr Hartley....he always said BETTER LATE THAN NEVER so when we were late to his class he was okay with it never forgot that
PAM KEEGAN BENICH
Keegan, Carruthers, Rigg, Copland, Lobb, Hough, Mee
born in Bootle
arthur8

i am still in touch with doreen sumners sister anne she is married and living in germany.
Teddy

Hi, bit of a lurker here, posted something ages ago and kept a watching brief ever since. I had to bob in though, on this discussion on Bootle schools/teachers, it has been really interesting.

For all those who were educated by nuns, it is alarming to read that some of them were close to barbaric when it came to disciplining children. To me it goes against everything that christianity stands for.

I went to Hillside High and had a mixed experience with teachers. Some were vindictive while others were extremely understanding. I was sent to the head once, by a particularly spiteful teacher (Miss Evans), for wearing non-regulation socks. There were four of us in total, all sent for the same thing by the same teacher and she wanted us caned! The head (Mr Duckworth) on hearing why we were there, came out from behind his desk to look at said socks, asked us why we had chosen to wear them, chuckled softly and asked us if we would wear proper white socks the ollowing day (we all did). He wasn't one for making mountains out of molehills. Unlike Miss Evans!

The majority of teachers there were great, but we had our share of duster throwers too. Mr Clayton (chemistry) had an especially good aim with a piece of chalk and many were the students who left his lab with clouds of chalk dust on them.

But attitudes change and as times move on, the number of inspiring teachers begin to outweight the vindictive ones. When my son started school, it wasn't until he reached 13 that he came across his first terror of a teacher. Her mode of torment was more psychological that physical. She would continually say that you weren't good enough, didn't work hard enough, wouldn't achieve anything in life, would fail exams etc.

I often think that it is a wonder that so many students go into teaching themselves, when you hear of the experiences they have had. Maybe it inspires them to be better teachers.
frank delamere

tony00165 wrote:
EdMcDonald wrote:
Pamsy wrote: What year was that at Robert's.....sounds like 1956 in there, some time....his name rings a bell with me before the boys went to St George of England school
I'm sure Mr Murray was at St Georges in 1953 54.
........Ed.....we moved from Stafford street in marsh lane in 1949 to orrell. me and our Bill were put in St monicas Juniors and our bill made a friend of 'Danny Murray' Mr Murrays son...they lived in Vaux crescent by the ODVA in Fernhill road....the name Vaux crescent was actually fixed to the front of their house.......They moved to netherton and a family called King moved in....by a fluke our Bill became a great friend of one of the lads Jimmy King as they sat next to each other in the junior school...A couple of years later I remember going to a teenage dance in St George of England school and Mr Murray was in charge....all the kids were packed around the hall with the center of the floor empty....As you can imagine we were all terrified of 'getting up' and he was showing everyone how to do the 'Valita'.....I remember praying that he wouldn't pick on me...(I'd have died).....that would be about 1957/58 and rock'n roll hadn't got to teenage dances at that time. I knew Brian Murray the youngest son later on and when we got to drinking age would see him in the mount playing the guitarand singing with a gang of lads......I think the murray family lived around Captains lane/Galworthy avenue. Mr Murray never taught me as I went to the Grammar but most of my friends went to St Georges and he taught them.
actually mr murray, was p.t instructor in the scots gaurds, prior to his arriving in roberts school, we used have a mr jones. who lived with his mother in hornby road, opposite st mathews church. i lived at the top on litherland road., and would walk many a time, home wtih mr jones for my dinner. that was how i learnt to walk fast. [ he more than likely hoped i would not keep up?? ]
frank
Dan

Official opening of the Countess of Derby School for Girls. Thursday March 17 1960.

Countess of Derby Head Girl Barbara Sharrock presented Princess Margaret with a bouquet of flowers.

Hugh Baird ,the Mayor of Bootle was also in attendance.

Dan

A battered photo of St Thomas Aquinas School, St Nicholas Drive, Ford.

Pat Hagan was the first headmaster of St Thomas Aquinas RC Secondary School.

He was born, the eleventh child of Patrick Hagan and Emily Townley, on March 17 1910.

The family lived at 68 Marsh Lane Bootle.

Last edited by Dan on Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BOBHAMO

Seems all the schools in netherton have gone Bolam , grammer, thomies
must be as many local kids live there where do they go now
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
BossHogg

Teddy wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:57 pm Hi, bit of a lurker here, posted something ages ago and kept a watching brief ever since. I had to bob in though, on this discussion on Bootle schools/teachers, it has been really interesting.

For all those who were educated by nuns, it is alarming to read that some of them were close to barbaric when it came to disciplining children. To me it goes against everything that christianity stands for.

I went to Hillside High and had a mixed experience with teachers. Some were vindictive while others were extremely understanding. I was sent to the head once, by a particularly spiteful teacher (Miss Evans), for wearing non-regulation socks. There were four of us in total, all sent for the same thing by the same teacher and she wanted us caned! The head (Mr Duckworth) on hearing why we were there, came out from behind his desk to look at said socks, asked us why we had chosen to wear them, chuckled softly and asked us if we would wear proper white socks the ollowing day (we all did). He wasn't one for making mountains out of molehills. Unlike Miss Evans!

The majority of teachers there were great, but we had our share of duster throwers too. Mr Clayton (chemistry) had an especially good aim with a piece of chalk and many were the students who left his lab with clouds of chalk dust on them.

But attitudes change and as times move on, the number of inspiring teachers begin to outweight the vindictive ones. When my son started school, it wasn't until he reached 13 that he came across his first terror of a teacher. Her mode of torment was more psychological that physical. She would continually say that you weren't good enough, didn't work hard enough, wouldn't achieve anything in life, would fail exams etc.

I often think that it is a wonder that so many students go into teaching themselves, when you hear of the experiences they have had. Maybe it inspires them to be better teachers.
I also went to Hillside and recognise all of those names, it's possible we were there all around the same time. 👍
efc46

hi i went to school with John SumnerI remember his sister they lived in the docks /davey rowlands
Davey Rowlands Bootle
Dan

Bootle Times October 4 1957. Opening of Warwick Bolam School, Glover's Lane, Netherton.

94mikej

tony00165 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:21 pm My name is Tony sanders......I went to Bootle grammar school from 1953 to 1958. Dave may lived in orrel lane and I lived in grainger Avenue......Dave was a terrific artist and later went to the art school and was in the same class as john lennon....If anyone has read the Beatle Anthology there is a picture in it of a hofner bass guitar the belonged to Stu Sutcliffe.....Dave taught him to play three eddie cochrane tunes on the bass and in return Stu let dave take it home to Orrell lane...measure up and make his own bass (Which he did) Lennon had asked Dave to join the Beatles before Stu took the plunge.....I was the drummer with Billy J kramer and later on was with Dave May and Mally Aston playing in the same group in the Star club in Hamburg (1965)....me Mally and Dave had all been in the same 'X' stream in the grammar for five years (What a fluke)......it's amazing the musical connections between Bootle and the 'Big Bang ' in '63.....I don't want to bore anyone with this....but I was there......Anyone remember Frank Gleason the sports master....he'd volunteered from the Army Commando to join the fledgling parachute regiment and was trained at Ringway...he used to show us his commando knife and souvenirs of german artifacts he taken on missions......he was in the army pentathlon team at the olympic games after the war and could walk up the school staircase ..along the corridor and into the classroom on his hands all the way....what a character.
Hi Tony
I phoned Dave at the start of lockdown and he told me about teaching Stu and measuring his bass too.
He said when The Beatles came back he thought Stu was competent enough to get through a set.

Do you still have the recording you made in 1963 with Billy written by Ralph Bowdler 'She's My Girl'?

Best wishes
Mike
efc46

I live i brisbane an when i tell people stories of the early sixties their are like wow like did really pay your guitar off the same time as P./M.yeh but so did everyone who played a guitar luved Hessys Jim Gretty used give us lads gibson strings rather cheap thanks for the memory /Davey
Davey Rowlands Bootle
Dan

Bootle Times October 4 1968. Countess of Derby 1st year netball team.

efc46

hi I remember John (sub) very well went to the same schools went to his house in the docks via Gladstone dock If I remember right went school with John sad news on his passing I am 75 so john would have been 75 too R.I. P.Davey Rowlands expat
Davey Rowlands Bootle
efc46

I went the georges 1957/61 mr Parry was a welsh swine I could never read out allowed Parry would make read out allowed the class would think it itwas funny it was not at the end of the lesson parry would cane me no wonder we all grew up angry Mr Murray the stinkin Gym teacher was a swine to we all got gum shorts supplied an we got the house name stencilled we had to take them home to get your mam to embroider the letter me step mother would not even wash them so I filled it in with a biro so murray caned me every week just made me grow up fast
Davey Rowlands Bootle
Dan

Bootle Times May 27 1953.

Bootle Grammar School Sports Day.

efc46

I was from a big family an boy did the teachers have it in for us poor kids from big families every school cane cane cane grayo georges an even mrs boarman caned me solly road always hated the bullies me an spacky got the cane runnin after the bell because i would not cry mr taylor wacked me with the cane across the back of me legs hated school from 5 to 15 years old it was a hard time grew up tuffer
Davey Rowlands Bootle
Dan

Dan wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:54 pm Official opening of the Countess of Derby School for Girls. Thursday March 17 1960.

Countess of Derby Head Girl Barbara Sharrock presented Princess Margaret with a bouquet of flowers.

Hugh Baird ,the Mayor of Bootle was also in attendance.

British Pathé footage of the opening of Countess of Derby School in 1960.

Dan

Bootle Times May 13 1949

In the days of the 11 plus, the list of Bootle children who gained access to a grammar school in this year,

The 11 plus was introduced in the Butler Education Act of 1944. It was phased out across most of the UK by 1976.

In Northern Ireland, it lasted until 2008.

Dan

Bootle Times March 31 1977

Countess of Derby netball teams.

Dan

Bootle Times June 17 1982

Announcement of schools closing in Netherton.

Dan

Bootle Times February 20 1997.

Seaforth's Our Lady Star of the Sea primary school football team.

Dan

Bootle Times April 1 1935.

A portrait of Warwick Bolam , the incoming Director of Education of Bootle.

Dan

Bootle Times October 23 1997.

St Benet's Junior School football teams.