northend boxers

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
jimmyx3

hi all, i came across this,, ps my dad is jimmy oconnell
Billy Flynn, bobby Mason, George Mason, Dave May, Billy Gray, Alfie Lunt, Jerry Costello, Tommy Howell, Dave Edwards, Gerry Obrien, Billy Anderson.
Tommy Mason Johnny and Tommy Routledge, Johnny Jacobs, Ned Thomas.
Nobby Clarke, Paddy McDowall, Pat Dwyer, Billy Riley, Harold Higinson, Johnny Cooke British Welterweight Champion 1967 centre, Tony Smith, Ken Hignett, Billy Ellaway, Jackie Cunningham Tony Cunningham.
Dave Rent, Tommy and John Summers, Tommy Kennedy, Jimmy Duffy, Frank Duffy, Jimmy Kileen, Joe Brown, Richie Edwardson,
Gordon Ashun, Jimmy O`Connell, Teddy Tyrrell, Jim Boyd, Johnny Peers, Harry Scott, Alfie Matthews, Arthur Molloy, Don Martin, Jackie Lyndon.
Drawn by John Burrows 1971
"Three Days in June." Parachute Regiment, https://phelmets.wixsite.com/mysite
daveowe

Hi Jimmy

That montage was very popular in the 70s nearly every pub and barbers shop in Bootle had one on display. I knew a few of the boxers featured and also had the pleasure of working with couple of them as well. Still see Ritchie Edwardson from time to time, what ever happened to the Summers Bros? I remember Tommy was on the clubs and did bit of TV drama work.

daveowe
whacker66

Here is the programme for jonnys title fight

Peter
whacker66

Peter
jimmyx3

thats a nice one wacker, :)
RYTER2

Jim,

Your opening post in this topic brought back lots of memories of some of the boxer’s I remember seeing a photograph of a boxer on the wall in my Gran’s house. I believe it was one of her nephew, Ned Thomas. It might have been the Ned Thomas who is on your list and I think he had 28 or 29 fights in the 1930’s-40 .

Thanks

Bill (Ryter)
henry

One of the best amateur boxers ever who was born and bred in Bootle was without doubt was BENNY CRISPIN
HENRY BORN FLORIDA STREET OFF STRAND ROAD
surestart

daveowe wrote:Hi Jimmy

That montage was very popular in the 70s nearly every pub and barbers shop in Bootle had one on display. I knew a few of the boxers featured and also had the pleasure of working with couple of them as well. Still see Ritchie Edwardson from time to time, what ever happened to the Summers Bros? I remember Tommy was on the clubs and did bit of TV drama work.

daveowe
Tommy is still alive, often see him driving around Bootle in his big jag but sadly John died a few years ago
whacker66

I remember Tony Cunningham....used to have a few pints in the saltbox when I worked and drank there....I seem to remember a bout he had in ozzie...and was so good the fans threw all sorts of money in the ring..am I right?
Peter
frank delamere

in the photo, gordon ashun is the name given. i think it is the wrong name
i thought it was gordon ashton. he was slightly coloured. he also worked in the carolina coy, as a welder. later he was a night club bouncer. an exceedingly nice person. always so happy.

frank
jimmyx3

frank delamere wrote:in the photo, gordon ashun is the name given. i think it is the wrong name
i thought it was gordon ashton. he was slightly coloured. he also worked in the carolina coy, as a welder. later he was a night club bouncer. an exceedingly nice person. always so happy.

frank
Hi Frank, that is the way it was spelled in his boxing records, and "yes he was slightly coloured"
his record
http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?hu ... &cat=boxer
frank delamere

jimmy, yes! thats him, i knew as soon as i saw his alias KID ASH.
so all the time i knew him, i always called him ashton. and thats so long ago
in the fifty!s. thanks for enlightening me

frank
Kenny Cunningham

My two older brothers Jackie and Tony Cunningham are in that drawing. I remember Gorden Ashon as a kid. He used to train us at the Mayfair boxing club. He was very good friends with my family and I remember him fondly as always being happy and cheerful. His Mum and Dad used to live in Sefton Road. His Father was black and his mother was white. They were very nice people and Mr Ashon used to come to our house whenever there was aparty
Kenny Cunningham

I'm not sure whether Gordens name was spelt Ashon or Ashun?
I think it might be Ashun...It definately was not Ashton. Would love to know if he's still alive and well?
matt wethered

Hi Kenny C,just did a google on Gordon Ashun aka Kid Ash and it says he passed away at age 72 on 15th 0ctober 1993.There is quite a write up about his boxing career.
Matt
frank delamere

go to jimmy x link all about gordon

frank
Kenny Cunningham

Thank you Frank and Matt. I'm sorry he passed away but I suppose he was older than I remember. Never realized his boxing career was mainly thru the forties. My memories go back to when I was either 10 or 11.
TrishCarter-nee-Mason

Hi,
Thanks for posting the pic of all the boxers. George Mason is my dad...he has sadly passed away now (1991) I don't have much information about his boxing at all. I'm trying to find out as much as I can about it! It is great to know there are still some items floating about! :) If anyone has any more infomation it would be greatly appreciated.
Eddy Lloyd

Hi Trish and welcome, this site is a minefield of information so I'm sure you will get some info.
mozzele

My granddad is in this drawing arthur molloy if any one has any pics or news paper clipings it would be great if u post them. I never met my grandfather he passed before i was born and would like to gather as much information as possible. thanx
lily8

I seem to remember one of our Posters JJDry mentioning Arthur Molloy who was the son of a boxer??
Lily
sal

Does anyone remember Johnny Driscoll. he was a Bootle boxer in the 30s and in the 1950s trained many Bootle boys, Tony Smith being one of them.
KenNolan

Seeing Jimmy Killeen on there brings back memories. There were three of them all brothers who were Bootle boxers. Jimmy was the eldest, Stan was the middle and "Little" Johnny Killeen. I went to Netherton Park School with Johnny. The Killeens moved into our house on Park Lane when we moved away.
Kings Road, Bootle and Park Lane Netherton
BC

Thanks for this. My dad was Jerry Costello is here and was great to see. He passed away in 1987.
lily8

BC wrote:Thanks for this. My dad was Jerry Costello is here and was great to see. He passed away in 1987.
Don't know if this is the same Jerry Costello

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_ ... &cat=boxer
Lily
M1G 1N3

Mr Lunt, Alfie"s Dad, had a good gym at The Back of Stanley Rd, up near the
canal end. My brother and I went there for a couple of months and used to see
Alfie and Jerry Costello training. I'm a bit hazy on the name of the gym.
Star ABC? Anyone remember it ?
Liverpoollady

My Childrens grand Father is Billy Anderson :) alive and well lives in Liverpool area.does anyone remember him? Lesley
Lesley Culshaw nee Selby Born Stayley street Bootle 1960 Grandad Bert Selby YMCA Bootle
pat driscoll

I've only just come across this site and on July 19 Sal asked if anyone remembered Johnny Driscoll who boxed in the 30's and managed Tony Smith in the '50s. Johnny was my uncle and I remember it all seemed pretty exciting at the time as he and Tony travelled around the country ( and I think they also went to Copenhagen ) for fights. Johnny died many years ago and Tony would be 74 now if he's alive.
PETER CRAIG

pat driscoll wrote:I've only just come across this site and on July 19 Sal asked if anyone remembered Johnny Driscoll who boxed in the 30's and managed Tony Smith in the '50s. Johnny was my uncle and I remember it all seemed pretty exciting at the time as he and Tony travelled around the country ( and I think they also went to Copenhagen ) for fights. Johnny died many years ago and Tony would be 74 now if he's alive.
Welcome to the Bootle forum Pat,
Peter.

Pat Dwyer lives just around the corner from me, we always have a great chat when we bump into each other,
Peter.
robsnell

BC wrote:Thanks for this. My dad was Jerry Costello is here and was great to see. He passed away in 1987.
He is in the book mersey fighters ,which I have, and also have some additional images I can send you regards his fights at the stadium
marine

Gordon Ashun is the correct spelling and he was always billed as such on the posters.
marine
robsnell

marine wrote:Gordon Ashun is the correct spelling and he was always billed as such on the posters.
marine
and Kid ASh

http://boxingbiographies.com/bio/index. ... &Itemid=27
1Vicstar

Re: north end boxers -- Gordon Ashun/Kid Ash

If anyone knows where I can get a copy of this poster and any other information, I am Gordon Ashun's granddaughter. I don't have very much info on him and would love to get my hands on anything. Thank you
jimmyx3

1Vicstar wrote:Re: north end boxers -- Gordon Ashun/Kid Ash

If anyone knows where I can get a copy of this poster and any other information, I am Gordon Ashun's granddaughter. I don't have very much info on him and would love to get my hands on anything. Thank you
Hi, I am not sure if this is any good for you, but I can take a high definition photograph of the original poster, and you could get it printed at Max Spielmanns or Asda Aintree, let me know,
bye for now Jimmy
ps my father always held your grandfathers name in high regard, although I never met him is so familiar as my dad often spoke of him, sadly my dad passed away in 2012, my dad is in the poster to the right of your grandfather.
phpBB [video]
lynne99

When I was young, my dad used to tell me of a boxer who lived in Aintree road near the junction of Southport rd. Can any one remind me of his name, he was very famous. Also just found a boxing referee licence in my dad's name. It must have been to do at school. I didn't look at the date.