Province Road

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
Chris Dodge

https://maps.nls.uk/view/126522140

I am fascinated seeing this map which shows Province Road as a single row of 20 terraced houses, without a single other street nearby, Hawthorne Rd not even close as only then went as far as Marsh Lane.

I am curious as to how the street popped up on its own, as opposed to being part of the usual built up grid iron plan for Victorian terraces.

Would these lonely houses have initially been built for workers at the nearby brickworks? Any know if there are any pics about that would show the houses? There are a few similar isolated terraces on the map opposite the infectious diseases hospital, or next to Linacre Gas works.
BOBHAMO

Chris if you can still get it tells the story of Klondyke
i have a copy its the best info on Orrell
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Dan

Strange how you can find out more about the history of a place when it's due for demolition than while it's still standing.

This from the Klondyke phase II project.

The bulk of the site was built on farm land owned by Richard Harrison. Guess that's where Harrison Drive came from.

I'll post some more tomorrow.
Dan

Liverpool Echo March 4 2010

THE handful of Bootle families left on the Klondyke estate say they are ready for a last stand against the council's plan to demolish their homes.

Residents still living on Glynne Street, Willard Street and Hawthorne Road have until March 11 to appeal against the compulsory purchase orders (CPOs) placed on their homes.

Sefton Council's Housing Market Renewal Scheme, which is part of a £500m Government scheme to replace old housing stock with modern homes, placed CPOs on the rows of terraced houses that form the Klondyke estate.

The Riverside Partnership is now set to receive £720,000 for 16 new-build family homes split between social rent and HomeBuy Direct in Kirby Rd and Monfa Rd.

However, the residents who do not wish to move from the old estate now fear the CPOs will leave them without the funds to buy a similar home and that the collective memories of a once-proud community will be lost in the rubble.

Angela Robinson, of Glynne Street, said: “Its disgraceful, it’s wrong people who have been living here for 50 or 60 years being thrown out of their homes.

"Their lives had been happy but what can they do about it, taking people’s lives away, I feel so sorry for them. I used to work in a care home. The residents who lived there were so used to it and had been very happy.

“Then they had to change homes, to go to another home, they were often dead within weeks. I know of many elderly residents who moved from the Klondyke to the Secrets flats, many have died due to the loneliness, stress and change to their lives. It’s disgraceful.”

Annette Taylor, of Willard Street, said: “The CPO frightened me a little bit. It should be explained properly to the people affected. The information the council sent me does not mean anything to me. The council promised, ‘like for like’, that’s not what most people got.

“I’ve lost count on how many One Vision properties I’ve bidded for.”

Any appeals against CPOs must be made by Thursday, March 11.

IN response to the concernes expressed by Klondyke residents in the Bootle Times a spokesman for Sefton Council said:

“The aim of Housing Market Renewal in Sefton is to replace poor quality, low demand housing with high quality, energy efficient, well-designed homes with gardens and off-street parking to meet the needs of the existing and future communities of the area.

“The compensation for homeowners is set by the Government and includes the full market value of their property plus 10 per cent home loss compensation.

‘‘There is also a disturbance payment to cover items such as removal costs, new carpets, curtains, reconnections etc.

“Equity loans of up to £45,000 are also available allowing householders to benefit from future house price inflation which is likely to be much higher than for their existing properties.

“People living in rented accommodation also qualify for disturbance allowances plus a home loss payment, set by the Government, of £4,700.

“We have always been acutely aware of the emotions involved in this process and have listened to residents and acted on their concerns wherever possible.

“In this phase of the Klondyke redevelopment, which includes 140 homes, we have successfully rehoused all but six households with the majority moving to mostly new-build homes in and around the Hawthorne Road area. “We are in regular contact with the few remaining residents and remain happy to discuss or explain any issues relating to the CPO process and rehousing opportunities.”

Willard Street

Dan

Below are three maps of the area from 1893, 1908 and 1925.

I've labelled Province Road on the 1893 map. It's adjacent to the brickworks.

The 1908 map shows the almost complete Klondyke estate.

1925 shows the completed Marion, Mary and Menai Roads. The brick and tile works has been replaced by the lead works.

1893 map

1908 map

1925 map

Dan

Some photos from the site walk-through prior to demolition.

Mary Road north side

Menai Road from the west

House on Menai Road

Morfa Road from the corner of Menai Road

Corner of Springwell Road and Thornton Road

Chapel front

Chapel south side

Dan

Map showing the Klondyke and surrounding area. It magnifies well.

Dan

Liverpool Echo December 2011