Eden Vale History

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
marknjen

Hello Everyone,

It's been a while I'm hoping everyone is safe and well! Sadly lost my dad Joey McGrady last October, so I'm looking at building a bar in my back garden and naming it Joey Mcs, now as my dad spent huge part of his life in the Eden vale, Netherton, I was wondering does anyone know the history of the pub please? I'd like to have something about the pub on the wall as decor you see.

Thanks
Take care all
Mark
Bernie R

Mark

May be worth contacting the current landlord. I know some landlords do take an interest in the history of their pubs (e.g. Harry Sandle in the Jawbone).

Bern
Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
filsgreen

I'm sorry to hear about your Dad passing, Mark, it was a pleasure to meet him when I cut his hedge. He made a great cuppa. As to the bar, I don't know much about the Eden Vale, but I built a shed bar in the back.

With lockdown finishing, I've sold three of the machines, only the small Sub left. If you need any advice about building your bar, pm me.
BOBHAMO

Mark i did look in the directories from 1962 to 1970
but they do not name the manager Eden vale was started 1954
will have another search
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
marknjen

Thanks everyone! Im sure I read somewhere that the eden vale may have been called bents 1st before eden vale

Thanks again everyone

Mark
Dan

Morning Mark

I think it was always called The Eden Vale, but Bent's (almost looked like a signature) was on the front wall just under the windows.

Bent's had a brewery in town in the 1960's, and The Vale was initially a Bent's pub. Think the Cabbage was Threlfall's.

Used to hang around the offy, which was to the right of the entrance, when we were kids, playing games with the beer bottle tops. :D :D

It was way before computer games.

Sammy the Bookie used to sit in the car park on Saturday mornings in a light grey mini cooper van.(Before betting shops were legal.)

Came back with my dad's bet one Saturday.

He said "Why didn't you put my bet on?"

I said " There was two policemen talking to Sammy".

My dad gave me the money. :D :D :D
marknjen

Ahhh thanks Dan,
Dan

Some photos from 1996. Hasn't really changed much.

marknjen

Brilliant thanks 😊
Mariansquare

The Eden Vale opened on this day 62 years ago.
Bri

Knocked around very briefly with a lad, think his name was Sean, whose mum and dad managed the Vale, must have been early 70’s.