Bootle police

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
fred

Hello, this image was taken circa 1934 and is of my grandfather William Henry OAKLEY. I remember him talking about his time in the police before the war but I can’t remember if he was Liverpool city or Bootle borough. As he lived just on the border between Liverpool and Bootle, down by The Mons, it’s difficult for me to confirm. Would anyone know where to start looking for further information? His collar number was definitely number 85. Thanks in advance.
bjones

Merseyside Police absorbed both Liverpool and Bootle forces so they will hold records for both. Try contacting their HR department.
Having your granddad's collar number should be a huge help. I contacted them some years ago for info about my great granddad and whilst they were unable to resolve my query they did try. Good luck with your search.
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
Dan

fred wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:38 pm Hello, this image was taken circa 1934 and is of my grandfather William Henry OAKLEY. I remember him talking about his time in the police before the war but I can’t remember if he was Liverpool city or Bootle borough. As he lived just on the border between Liverpool and Bootle, down by The Mons, it’s difficult for me to confirm. Would anyone know where to start looking for further information? His collar number was definitely number 85. Thanks in advance.

ed beaman

Looks like Bootle to me Liverpool had the Liverbird on their helmet and lapels

Ed
Dan

Bootle Times May 10 1957

Bootle Police football team.

J.F.G

Hello Dan

The P. Dee on the front row is Peter Dee who has featured several times on the Bootle website, he went on to become a school teacher, one of his schools being Warwick Bolam.

Regards

John
J.F.G

Dan wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:29 am
fred wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:38 pm Hello, this image was taken circa 1934 and is of my grandfather William Henry OAKLEY. I remember him talking about his time in the police before the war but I can’t remember if he was Liverpool city or Bootle borough. As he lived just on the border between Liverpool and Bootle, down by The Mons, it’s difficult for me to confirm. Would anyone know where to start looking for further information? His collar number was definitely number 85. Thanks in advance.

Regarding Fred's request for information, there would have been a letter after his Grandfathers collar number, this would narrow his search down, denoting the Division he was posted to.

Regards

John
lily8

hi fred the following has some good info however a couple of numbers missing among the 85. https://www.liverpoolcitypolice.co.uk/m ... gh-police/
Lily
Jan

Old genealogists never die......they just lose their census.
bjones

From Lily's link; a couple of people familiar to the Forum amongst the photo gallery from 1967;
https://www.liverpoolcitypolice.co.uk/m ... gh-police/

CONSTABLES SECTION
Constable Peter Woolley (RIP) (7th row constables' section)
and
Constable Lennie Gowing (8th row constables)
husband of Sheila Gowing (nee Bray) one of our original members
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.