Anne Goodison the hunt for photos

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
Dot Rogers

Hi Everyone,
Thanks again for putting up with me on here....
I'm learning about a Bootle born woman who apparently was a formidable collector of Egyptology artefacts, Anne Goodison (wife of George Goodison whom Goodison Park was named after.) The Atkinson in Southport currently has a display of her Egyptian collections on show (they were apparently bought off the Bootle museum when it closed). I've been told that there are no known photos of her. I hate being told that kind of thing as I think there must be one of her somewhere!
I'd like to do an animation on her but it would be the icing on the cake if I could find out what she looked like.
What I think I'm after is an idea of where I could start searching for her image.
It's a long shot I know but I know there is a photo of her out there somewhere!
Thanks as ever in advance,
I know if anyone can find out this kind of thing, you lot can!
dx
Dan

The display in the Atkinson looks superb.

From BBC News site in 2014.

A private collection of Egyptian artefacts, dating from 3,000 BC to 200 AD, is to be exhibited in Merseyside for the first time in 40 years.

The Goodison Egyptology Collection, named after Anne Goodison from Waterloo, Liverpool, consists of more than 1,000 artefacts.

Most were collected during two trips to Egypt in 1887 and 1897.

The 40 boxes of treasure have been in storage since 1974 when the Bootle Museum and Art Gallery closed.

They will now form a permanent display at the Atkinson Art Gallery in Southport when the lottery-funded Egyptology gallery opens on Friday.

Little is known of Mrs Goodison, who was born Anne Padley in West Derby, Merseyside, in 1845.

Aged 22, she married George Goodison, a civil engineer for the Walton Local Board, who laid a sewerage system in the Everton area. As a gesture of thanks a road was named after him and - some years later - Everton FC's stadium on the same road took the name Goodison Park.

"Though little appears to be recorded of her, there are tantalising connections which have come to light," said Jo Chamberlain, documentation officer at the gallery.

"There is a reference to Marianne Brocklehurst contacting the then curator of Bootle Museum through the recommendation of Mrs Goodison asking for advice on setting up a museum in Macclesfield and when the Goodison's rented a cottage in Coniston, their next door neighbour was [art critic] John Ruskin."

One of the pieces from the collection.

A coffin lid from Thebes c700-650 BC.

From Julia Thorne's site "Tetisheri".

In 1869, George married Egyptologist Anne Padley. Anne, born in 1845 in West Derby, was living at Adelaide Terrace in the Waterloo district of Liverpool (a road which also features in my own list of past addresses!). After spending a number of years living in the Lake District, the Goodisons returned to Liverpool, taking up residency in Beech Lawn (the next row of houses along from Adelaide Terrace).

Although they ended up spending their later years in the Cotswolds, Anne’s collection of Egyptian artefacts ended up in Bootle, an area of Liverpool just down the road from Waterloo. After she died, George had no interest in retaining the collection and sold it to a Mr T Davies. Mr Davies then donated the collection to the museum in Bootle.

Anne Goodison died in 1906.

The Bootle Times was including photographs by this time, so if there was an obituary there may be a photo.

Tony Onslow, who is the authority on all things Everton Football Club, researched the Goodison family but didn't find any portraits or photos.
Dot Rogers

Wow! A fabulous set of facts Dan! Thank you so much!
Could you advise me as to where I might find back copies of obituaries in the Bootle times? Would libraries be a good place to start? I'm new at this kind of thing so apologies if it's a stupid question! I'm also wondering if the museum in her house was in the Adelaide terrace address or somewhere else? Would be great to know the exact house address! I'll keep hunting and let you know if I find anything!
Thank you for the information you've added though, it will really help.
dx
Dan

Morning Dot.

Crosby Library, opposite the Plaza cinema, has got all the Bootle Times ever published, on microfilm .

Takes 5 minutes to figure out how to use the machines. The librarians couldn't be more helpful.

Front page of the July 16 1887 Bootle Times as an example.

Download it, then you can magnify and read the adverts.

I've posted a fair amount of articles from old editions.

Easiest way to find the material.

Go to one of the forums, History, Photos or Chat. On the upper left there's a box "Search this forum"

Type in your topic, could be a street, area, building, person or just Times.

If you search for "strand" in History you'll get 988 hits for the New Strand and Strand Road.

If you search for Strand Road you will also get a hit for every mention of Road on the forum.

I try to label any posts I make with a source, topic, place or area so that they are searchable.

Takes a little practice to get the right search term, but it will save you a lot of time in the long run, and it does turn up some great results.

Good luck. Dan.
BOBHAMO

Dot the house in the middle 1 Beech Lawn , George was a JP 1901
wife Ann and servants
they where married 1868 chester
Dan :D :D :D :D :D :D
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Dot Rogers

Fabulous Dan!
Thanks and thanks again! I wish I had paid more attention in school during history, I've already learnt more from this forum than years of GCSE and A-Level learning!!!
Going to try it out now...
dx
Dan

The link below is for Tony Onslow's excellent research on the subject.

http://www.bluecorrespondent.co.uk/Good ... It's%20Nam

Bit of gossip Bob. After the death of his wife, the husband married one of the servants.

Anne was self-taught in Egyptian hieroglyphics.

She lived in an era when it was commonly believed that education was wasted on women.

She must have been a supremely accomplished and driven woman.

She arranged the two trips to Egypt to collect artefacts. Her husband would have tagged along for the sake of propriety,

She refused to travel via Cook's Tours, as she thought that would be both vulgar and constrict her choice of destinations.
Dot Rogers

Hi Dan, I noticed the bit about him marrying the maid when Anne had popped her cloggs. Seemed unusual to me but maybe I'm wrong on that one. I think the maid got everything in the will when he died too.
Has anyone seen a photo of him anywhere? You would think there would be at least one given that Goodison park is named after him but I can't find one on a simple google.
Crosby library are on the case for me too, they have said they will send me a photo of the bootle times from the time that Anne died in the hopes that there is a photo with the obituary.
I'll let you know if I get anywhere.
Interestingly, have you seen how many carte de visites there are on ebay from the waterloo, bootle and bold street photographers that existed in Victorian times? It's a real shame as many of them have no names on them anymore. It would be fascinating to be able to find out who they all are!
Thanks again all!
dx
Dot Rogers

Not sure why Dan but I couldn't get that link to work....but I googled the content and this one popped up....

http://www.bluecorrespondent.co.uk/Good ... 20Name.htm

I might just have been being a divvy though! x
Dot Rogers

Dan

George William Goodison's civils work also involved assisting with the laying out of Blundellsands and its environs.

From the Catholic Churches of England and Wales site, referencing the building of St Joseph's Church in Blundellsands.

A fairly large church in Early English style, on a prominent corner site. Part of the early development of Blundellsands, and built with financial support from the Blundell family of Crosby Hall. The architect A.E. Purdie built widely for the Catholic Church, but this is his only church in Liverpool Archdiocese.Blundellsands was developed from the 1850s by the Blundells of Crosby Hall, as a wealthy Liverpool suburb. William Blundell was chairman of the Liverpool, Crosby and Southport railway and offered the company land through his estates (including this coastal area of dunes) with a view to developing them.

As at Hightown, the area was planned by T. Mellard Reade, assisted by G. W. Goodison. The Blundells being Catholic, a prominent and well-located Catholic church was a priority, and an undated drawing in the archdiocesan archive (above) shows a large church with a tower and spire on an island site at the centre of the development. The archbishop was petitioned for a new church in 1880, but this was deemed an insufficiently high priority, given the relatively low number of Catholics in the area and the existence of churches at nearby Great and Little Crosby. However, in 1885 Colonel Blundell and his sister Frances gave £1,000 towards the building of a new church, designed by A.E. Purdie, which was dedicated on 21 November 1866. The first priest-in-charge was Fr James Nugent, who stayed for one year before going on to pioneering work in child welfare in Liverpool.

An extract from October 13 1870 Nature magazine on Goodison's work laying sewer pipes in the area, as a partner of Reade & Goodison.

Extract from London Gazette February 20 1883.

The dissolution of Goodison, Atkinson and Forde of Castle Street.

Dot Rogers

Fabulous! How do you find these things!!
Don't you love the name Alphonso too. I feel it's a name that needs bringing back!
Thanks dan! x
Dot Rogers

I wonder if C.A Atkinson is linked to The Atkinson at all?
I'm going off topic!
It's easy to get history distracted!!
x
Dan

The Historic Society of Lancashire and Cheshire (HSLC) is an excellent site.

Google "archive.org". This gives you access to most of the libraries in the US. I tend to search for text only.

You can get most of the old Liverpool history books, as downloads, from this site.

From the HSLC site.

After the fire of 1866 at Crosby Hall, Reade & Goodison were employed as architects for the construction of the north west wing of the hall.

Thomas Mellard Reade is of interest as he become a renowned geologist, employed at the University of Liverpool.

The women of the Mellard family tended to marry well. in 1806 Mary Mellard, a predecessor of Thomas' mother, married John Bibby, founder

of the Liverpool shipping line.